Jets Draft Position Possibilities (probably 6th)/Rooting Guide

Doggin94it

Heading into tonight, the Jets could end up picking anywhere from 4th (highly unlikely) through 12th (equally unlikely). If I had to bet, I'd put money on 6th. Here are the possibilities:

If the Jets lose to NE:

4th: (a) Houston beats Pittsburgh today, Indy next week + (b) Tampa beats NO week 17 AND the Jets have a better end of season SoS than the Jets + (c) Denver beats KC week 17 + (d) SF wins against LAR OR SF has a better end of season SoS than the Jets

5th: Any 1 of those things does not happen

6th: Any 2 of those things don't happen

7th: any 3 of those things don't happen

8th: None of those things happen

If the Jets beat NE:

8th: if (a) the Bears win + (b) SF wins AND (CHI & CAR) combine for one/two more wins [depending on Hou v. Pit outcome] than (CLE & JAX) + (c) CIN beats Baltimore + (d) Oakland beats 1 of the Eagles or Chargers

9th: Any one of those things doesn't happen

10th: Any 2 of those things don't happen

11th: any 3 of those things don't happen

12th: None of those things happen

SoS note: as of right now, the teams the 49ers played have 124 wins; Jets played have had 125 wins; and the teams the Bucs have played have 126.  SF played both Houston & Philly, and the Bucs played Philly, so the SoS situation heading into week 17 will change depending on what happens tonight.  Because all week 17 games are divisional, the only thing that will impact final SoS is the outcome of each team's own game (a loss to the Pats adds 2 victories to the Jets' opponents' year end victory count) and its "+2" games.  For the Jets, the +2 teams were Jax & Cleveland.  For Tampa, it's AZ & NYG.  For SF, it's Car & Chicago.

The following SoS rankings are locked in:

Bengals will have the worst SoS of all teams that can end the season with 4, 5, or 6 wins; Denver & the Raiders will have the second & third worst SoS of those teams, in some order; Texans will be 4th worst.  The Jets CANNOT win a SoS tiebreaker against any of those teams.

The Jets, SF, & TB will finish next in some order - their SoS will depend on the remaining games

The Bears and Dolphins (in some order) will be next - The Jets CANNOT lose a SoS tiebreaker against either of those teams

As I said, if I had to bet, I'd put money on the Jets picking 6th - Hou and TB stay ahead of the Jets, but the Jets lose, Denver wins (KC will be resting) and SF wins or ends the season with a stronger SoS

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fully expect this team to AGAIN pick a non-impact defender, tout the player as the BAP, forget that their offense sucks and think they can get away with playing their scared scam. This franchise is like a plane flying full speed into a cliff.   

They need a QB. If not, I'm outta here. IF Rosen or Mayfield are there and they pass on both, DONE. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Fully expect this team to AGAIN pick a non-impact defender, tout the player as the BAP, forget that their offense sucks and think they can get away with playing their scared scam. This franchise is like a plane flying full speed into a cliff.   

They need a QB. If not, I'm outta here. IF Rosen or Mayfield are there and they pass on both, DONE. 

I could never ever root or support another team. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I could never ever root or support another team. 

The Adams over Watson decision put me in this spot. It was disgraceful, indefensible on every level, a joke. And you look across the parking lot and seeing our co-tenant embrace The Suck fully while the Jets half ass it(as they do everything), simply don't understand it at all. 

I’d like the jets to take at least 2-3 players on the offensive side of the ball (with our 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders) should we keep our draft picks.  It’s about time this franchise got with the program and got some impact players.  And lineman are fine too.  Just do something to help the darn offense already.  

Just now, Bugg said:

The Adams over Watson decision put me in this spot. It was disgraceful, indefensible on every level, a joke. 

Right now it appears that way but let’s see.  Watson could end up like RG III.  Not saying I wouldn’t love to have him here (and admittedly I was strongly against taking him last year) but still we don’t know.  

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right now it appears that way but let’s see.  Watson could end up like RG III.  Not saying I wouldn’t love to have him here (and admittedly I was strongly against taking him last year) but still we don’t know.  

Could happen that Watson could be a repeat of RGIII and injuries. Still doesn't excuse the idiotic decision. 

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I’d like the jets to take at least 2-3 players on the offensive side of the ball (with our 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders) should we keep our draft picks.  It’s about time this franchise got with the program and got some impact players.  And lineman are fine too.  Just do something to help the darn offense already.  

Mac has said in the past that he doesn't take OL early in the draft.  I think it's wrongheaded but I doubt he changes his methods this draft unless some OL goes into free fall much like the snorkel dude. 

I think we are set at WR for now so I doubt he goes here unless some premium player free falls.

So that leaves QB, RB, and TE.  I wouldn't mind QB 1st and either of the other 2nd/3rd.  I myself would sooner target OL with both 2nd rounders.   

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Mac has said in the past that he doesn't take OL early in the draft.  I think it's wrongheaded but I doubt he changes his methods this draft unless some OL goes into free fall much like the snorkel dude. 

I think we are set at WR for now so I doubt he goes here unless some premium player free falls.

So that leaves QB, RB, and TE.  I wouldn't mind QB 1st and either of the other 2nd/3rd.  I myself would sooner target OL with both 2nd rounders.   

Then we wonder why the jets have a bottom 3 offensive line

50 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

4th: (a) Houston beats Pittsburgh today, Indy next week + (b) Tampa beats NO week 17 AND the Jets have a better end of season SoS than the Jets + (c) Denver beats KC week 17 + (d) SF wins against LAR OR SF has a better end of season SoS than the Jets

Hou > Pitts?  Nope.

Tampa > New Orleans?  Nope.

Denver > KC?  Nope.

SF beats LAR?  Nope.

Jets Draft #8 overall.  Book it.

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

If we draft RB or TE earlier than Round 4, Macc should be fired on the spot.

Just now, Warfish said:

Hou > Pitts?  Nope.

Tampa > New Orleans?  Nope.

Denver > KC?  Nope.

SF beats LAR?  Nope.

Jets Draft #8 overall.  Book it.

KC clinched the division..they don’t need to play starters.

Tampa has played hard every game and this is another close division game.

SF is on fire and just hung 37 on the #1 D in the league. Rams are great but this is always a close gritty game.

Houston is not beating Pitt. At all.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

KC clinched the division..they don’t need to play starters.

Tampa has played hard every game and this is another close division game.

SF is on fire and just hung 37 on the #1 D in the league. Rams are great but this is always a close gritty game.

Houston is not beating Pitt. At all.

Keeping the dream alive eh?

Just curious, how much are you willing to trade up to get pick #2?  Four #1 picks, of five?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, how much are you willing to trade up to get pick #2?  Four #1 picks, of five?

Are the things i stated not facts though?

And it won’t take 4 or 5 first round picks, period. Our 2017 first, 2017 second, 2018 first and possible one more lower would do it depending where we land. War, you’re saracsim filled questions are annoying as hell lmao. I don’t understand how you don’t understand that it’s possible. You act like I’m reaching here. A lot of good things already went right for us yesterday. Let it break right or let it break wrong..we’ll still be in an alright spot to move up regardless. We have ammo. 

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is we probably see Hoyer instead of Brady next Sunday

Not necessarily....The Pats want to take home field advantage. If Pittsburgh beats Houston (HIGHLY likely), then if Pitt wins and Pats lose next week, Pitts gets home field.  They will want to play in Foxborough, since it gives them an even bigger advantage with the refs. 

If we pick 6 I'm picking a QB with that pick which will probably be Mayfield and I won't be mad.  With the 2 picks in the 2nd round I'm going Offensive Line with both picks.  I hope they grab that center Price out of Ohio State and the best available G/T with the other 2nd round pick.  Top of the 3rd get the best available CB and in the 4th get the best available OLB.

I think that's a very good start.  With the projected 100 million we will have in cap space we can sign impact players at the CB/OLB AND WR position while filling in and retaining our own in other key positions.  2018 can be very very good guys.

I just want the Jets to take a QB.  I don't watch a lot of college football but, from what I've read/heard, I'd prefer Darnold because he's got the size to survive hits.  But Macc is the GM so it's his call.  If he picks the wrong one then he's on the hook.  Conversely, if he picks the right one then he gets all the credit.

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm not sure why you'd want to.  Rosen has concussion issues already and i wouldn't trade up for him.  Maybe darnold, but i think he is definitely overhyped and isn't the qb (yet) everyone projected he would be this season.  I think there are several quality qbs in this draft but not one who is worth giving up the farm for.  The jets may actually be better off where they draft, but this of course all assumes that the gm is considering a qb in the first round.  

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just want the Jets to take a QB.  I don't watch a lot of college football but, from what I've read/heard, I'd prefer Darnold because he's got the size to survive hits.  But Macc is the GM so it's his call.  If he picks the wrong one then he's on the hook.  Conversely, if he picks the right one then he gets all the credit.

Assuming Darnold and Rosen gone by the time we pick............in no specific order but I'm all in on Baker Mayfield,Josh Allen,Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph and you name them opening day starter in 2018. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

I have no faith that this happens. However, if they've watched this season and don't believe they need to be highly vigilant in getting a starting QB, well then I'm with you man.  If Rosen or Mayfield are there and they pass, I'm done too.

Archived