Jump to content

What Teams Could Get Cousins


Esquire
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know, another Kirk Cousins thread.  But which teams could realistically land Cousins next year?  I really want the Jets to land him but I'm not sure he would come here as a free agent if given better options for similar compensation.

What are the likely teams in the running?  Jaguars?  Broncos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Teams that have the cap space: Cleveland, Jets, Bills, Redskins

Cousins takes under market value: Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars

Dark Horse Teams: Steelers & Bengals

Cleveland would be awesome.  Allows for trading up to #1.  Get a QB at any cost.

 

Not to mention Josh Gordon is a keeper for me in 2018 (for a 14th rounder).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Cleveland would be awesome.  Allows for trading up to #1.  Get a QB at any cost.

 

Not to mention Josh Gordon is a keeper for me in 2018 (for a 14th rounder).

Denver or Cleveland getting Cousins would be a dream. It would take a lot of pressure off trying to determine who goes where. Cleveland more than Denver but nonetheless.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Teams that have the cap space: Cleveland, Jets, Bills, Redskins

Cousins takes under market value: Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars

Dark Horse Teams: Steelers & Bengals

All teams can figure a way to sign him if they really do. The day he signs somewhere other than here will be a happy day. He is a younger (albeit slightly better) version of Fitz and McClown-stats compilers that come up small when needed.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All teams can figure a way to sign him if they really do.

They would fall under the serious cap casualties or Cousins leaving money on the table. We can offer the most attractive combo of money, young players, ammo to surround him with talent. and exposure for endorsements. We should also realize that Macc tried once before to trade for Cousins, would give Macc an accurate way to judge Bowles since there would be no excuse about the QB, he is a vet QB that Bowles would likely love to play, and ownership would be on board with an answer at QB from a fans in the stands perspective.

I think it only comes down to where does Cousins want to go because we can match any deal offered to him (not that I want that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say the Redskins, Jets, Bills, and Denver off the top of my head.

I think Denver will go hard after him. Elway wants to win and he has a ready made defense to do it. He obviously knows how important the QB position is to a team so unless he loves someone in the draft who he thinks he can get I expect him to make a play for Cousins.

Another intriguing option is Bridgewater though. If we went the FA route and decided to sign Bridgewater over Cousins I wouldn't hate that move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are crazy. The Broncos won a Super Bowl with defense, they've lost 9 out of their last 10, the playoff window is closed! Look at the aging players, Thomas, Sanders, Talib, Miller, Anderson. 

Arizona is another team with aging players. Bengals window is closed. When you take McCown & Forte out of the mix the Jets are top 5 youngest teams. While the Browns have the ammo, they have a way worse recent history. Jets need a pass rusher & a stud #1 CB. Claiborne is fine as a #2. The defense can be helped by getting a QB, retooling the Oline & getting a couple of star offensive players in here.

If you get Cousins you can draft Barkley if a stud pass rusher is not there, if you can get a pass rusher, you take the best RB that falls to one of your 2nd round picks. You sign Jarvis Landry who has gotten better every year & has proven no one on the Pats can cover him. That makes everyone else (Kearse/Enunwa/Anderson/Hanson/Stewart) that much better. 

You draft best Olineman with your other 2nd, depending on who you brought in when free agency starts. I'm more inclined to pay a veteran center who takes over & leads right out of the gate & draft best LT you can find. Fire Bowles, play a 4-3, move Lee outside & get a middle LB in here. With 4 picks in the top 105 & 100 million after cutting Mo, Forte, Skrine, it's certainly doable. If you have to go Teddy Bridgewater, then you also take a QB you like & you would have enough money for another stud defensive player that shakes free in the late salary cap cuts that always come in the second wave.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All teams can figure a way to sign him if they really do. The day he signs somewhere other than here will be a happy day. He is a younger (albeit slightly better) version of Fitz and McClown-stats compilers that come up small when needed.

Yea....OK. He just threw for 300 yards & 3 TDs against a Broncos team that we couldn't get a 1st down on in an entire half, lol.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think Denver is the best shot if he leaves. Ultimately though I don't see how Washington lets him walk away.

It would probably take a draft pick in trade to get it done, Jimmy G went for a 2nd, that should set the starting price

I think they would be crazy to let him go but it seems like there are bad feelings, this has dragged on too long...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Cleveland would be awesome.  Allows for trading up to #1.  Get a QB at any cost.

 

Not to mention Josh Gordon is a keeper for me in 2018 (for a 14th rounder).

I also heard Clev. is likely to double down on the QB position meaning they'll most likely draft a QB and look to sign a FA.  I don't think Cousins would be that guy though since it they draft a QB with the first pick I don't see them wanting to be locked into a long term deal like Cousins is most likely going to get they may go the route of a Tyrod Taylor type who may be provide them more flexibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Teams that have the cap space: Cleveland, Jets, Bills, Redskins

Cousins takes under market value: Cardinals, Broncos, Jaguars

Dark Horse Teams: Steelers & Bengals

Agree with almost all of this, as Pittsburgh would be the darkest of dark horses with Roethlisberger still performing. That pick he threw vs NE was awful (not to mention unnecessary), but it's also the only loss they have in the last 9 games. Not like their alleged top 5 defense helped the team out at all on the prior drive. Also Ben is locked in for 2 more years at $17m per. Cousins is looking like he'll cost a minimum $10m/year more (which will feel like $15m/year more with Ben's dead cap hits). And most of all because Pittsburgh has never been a team to outbid the rest of the league for someone else's high-priced UFA.

The rest is spot-on. I think when it comes to picking up a FQB, any team has the cap room. They'll make room. If they want him - and anyone bidding that kid of coin for him means they really want him - they'll cut someone else instead. This isn't like finding space for a FA DT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I also heard Clev. is likely to double down on the QB position meaning they'll most likely draft a QB and look to sign a FA.  I don't think Cousins would be that guy though since it they draft a QB with the first pick I don't see them wanting to be locked into a long term deal like Cousins is most likely going to get they may go the route of a Tyrod Taylor type who may be provide them more flexibility.

Given the amounts that it costs to take a stab in the dark on someone else's prospect (Osweiller, Glennon, etc.) and the cost to trade up for a top QB prospect, I think we're going to see more teams make the same calculation Washington made when they drafted Cousins after drafting RGIII (though I think few will do so after trading up as they did).

If they accept that it costs multiple draft picks - especially multiple high draft picks - to ultimately find your QB, no sense in also paying the price of multiple seasons with youngsters' tryouts and hopes for future draft slot positioning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Esquire said:

I know, another Kirk Cousins thread.  But which teams could realistically land Cousins next year?  I really want the Jets to land him but I'm not sure he would come here as a free agent if given better options for similar compensation.

What are the likely teams in the running?  Jaguars?  Broncos?

..he's gonna sign with denver  ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

You guys are crazy. The Broncos won a Super Bowl with defense, they've lost 9 out of their last 10, the playoff window is closed! Look at the aging players, Thomas, Sanders, Talib, Miller, Anderson. 

Arizona is another team with aging players. Bengals window is closed. When you take McCown & Forte out of the mix the Jets are top 5 youngest teams. While the Browns have the ammo, they have a way worse recent history. Jets need a pass rusher & a stud #1 CB. Claiborne is fine as a #2. The defense can be helped by getting a QB, retooling the Oline & getting a couple of star offensive players in here.

If you get Cousins you can draft Barkley if a stud pass rusher is not there, if you can get a pass rusher, you take the best RB that falls to one of your 2nd round picks. You sign Jarvis Landry who has gotten better every year & has proven no one on the Pats can cover him. That makes everyone else (Kearse/Enunwa/Anderson/Hanson/Stewart) that much better. 

You draft best Olineman with your other 2nd, depending on who you brought in when free agency starts. I'm more inclined to pay a veteran center who takes over & leads right out of the gate & draft best LT you can find. Fire Bowles, play a 4-3, move Lee outside & get a middle LB in here. With 4 picks in the top 105 & 100 million after cutting Mo, Forte, Skrine, it's certainly doable. If you have to go Teddy Bridgewater, then you also take a QB you like & you would have enough money for another stud defensive player that shakes free in the late salary cap cuts that always come in the second wave.

2 more safeties Mac and we’re good. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact that everyone expects Washington, the team most familiar with Cousins, to make Cousins available and is unwilling to sign him long term should be a ginormous bright red flag to step back and really assess the situation. It reminds me of the Glennon situation, where the team that had him refused to play him yet so many thought he was an unrealized star, and then fell flat on his face  Cousins is certainly more accomplished and better than Glennon but if people think he is going to be a franchise guy they are going to be monumentally disappointed. I think there is an interesting contrast to take note of this year. Cousins is once again compiling numbers and as usual coming up small while needed, while Keenum (certainly on a better team) is not throwing up gaudy numbers but when it matters, when he is facing adversity or a blitz Keenum is very consistently making plays that not only matter but lead his team to victory. A winning QB makes plays in the 4th quarter. How many games have you see where towards the end of the 3rd quarter Brady has done almost nothing but explodes and winds up throwing completion after completion and touchdown after touchdown.

McClown and Cousins are very similar. They compile stats, often because they fall behind early and then collapse when it matters. But the stat line at the end of the day looks different. Cousins is still fool's gold, just a little shinier.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with almost all of this, as Pittsburgh would be the darkest of dark horses with Roethlisberger still performing. That pick he threw vs NE was awful (not to mention unnecessary), but it's also the only loss they have in the last 9 games. Not like their alleged top 5 defense helped the team out at all on the prior drive. Also Ben is locked in for 2 more years at $17m per. Cousins is looking like he'll cost a minimum $10m/year more (which will feel like $15m/year more with Ben's dead cap hits). And most of all because Pittsburgh has never been a team to outbid the rest of the league for someone else's high-priced UFA.

The rest is spot-on. I think when it comes to picking up a FQB, any team has the cap room. They'll make room. If they want him - and anyone bidding that kid of coin for him means they really want him - they'll cut someone else instead. This isn't like finding space for a FA DT.

I could see Big Ben retiring, not sure how that effects his cap but that could be a team I could really see Cousins taking less money to go to. I'd be interested if the Steelers would trade Big Ben to the Redskins so they take the cap hit when he retires and the Redskins could ask for their late 1st as compensation for taking the cap hit/losing Cousins. That's really a tin foil hat theory but not totally out of the realm of possibilities given what the Browns did with with Brock this year. Trade a draft pick for cap space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The fact that everyone expects Washington, the team most familiar with Cousins, to make Cousins available and is unwilling to sign him long term should be a ginormous bright red flag to step back and really assess the situation.  

Yeah these guys wrote and continue to write the book on success. Plus the ~$44 million they’ve paid him the past two years, using two franchise tags, is proof positive they know he is just a compiler who doesn’t have the itwillgutsfire power to hang in the NFL. This is especially true if you take away all those compiled stats he has compiled like Glennon, a famed compiler who proves our case exactly that Cousins is just like him. Cousins is also like McClown (lol, nice) because they compile also like Glennon already established as a compiler. That Cousins compiles way more than those guys and does it more efficiently than either only proves he is the shiniest compiler of them all. Where is the heart? The will? 

This pretty much sums up Cousins. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yea....OK. He just threw for 300 yards & 3 TDs against a Broncos team that we couldn't get a 1st down on in an entire half, lol.

Also a Denver team that lost, what? 9 out of ten.  Think that reflects more on the Jets "killer instinct" with them still in a very unlikely play off hunt then anything else relating to Cousins

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think the redskins will retain him in the end.  If the jets really want  him they need to  make a good offer and say take it or leave it and move oin fast.,

I think we will have mccown, new draft pick and hackenburg next year as bad as that sounds.

I think it’s close to 0% he stays in DC. I live here and I think they burned and pissed on the ashes of that bridge here. Between not signing him already and getting rid of his receiving core, I think he has had enough of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think it’s close to 0% he stays in DC. I live here and I think they burned and pissed on the ashes of that bridge here. Between not signing him already and getting rid of his receiving core, I think he has had enough of them. 

Not to mention it would cost them over $34,000,000 to tag him again......That would be insane

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The fact that everyone expects Washington, the team most familiar with Cousins, to make Cousins available and is unwilling to sign him long term should be a ginormous bright red flag to step back and really assess the situation. It reminds me of the Glennon situation, where the team that had him refused to play him yet so many thought he was an unrealized star, and then fell flat on his face  Cousins is certainly more accomplished and better than Glennon but if people think he is going to be a franchise guy they are going to be monumentally disappointed. I think there is an interesting contrast to take note of this year. Cousins is once again compiling numbers and as usual coming up small while needed, while Keenum (certainly on a better team) is not throwing up gaudy numbers but when it matters, when he is facing adversity or a blitz Keenum is very consistently making plays that not only matter but lead his team to victory. A winning QB makes plays in the 4th quarter. How many games have you see where towards the end of the 3rd quarter Brady has done almost nothing but explodes and winds up throwing completion after completion and touchdown after touchdown.

McClown and Cousins are very similar. They compile stats, often because they fall behind early and then collapse when it matters. But the stat line at the end of the day looks different. Cousins is still fool's gold, just a little shinier.

They tried to make him the 2nd highest paid QB this year, he turned them down without counter-offering. They want him but he wants to hit FA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think Cousins will likely stay with the Redskins, but if not, I think Elway and Denver will do whatever it takes to get him.

They fact he turned down the 2nd highest paid contract in the NFL without countering tell me he doesn't want to play there and/or he is looking for the highest paid deal. Both those eliminate the Redskins and it would mean the Broncos need to cut a ton of players to match a deal the Bills, Jets, or Cleveland can offer. It will ultimately come down to where does he want to play and is he willing to leave money on the table to go to a contending team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think the redskins will retain him in the end.  If the jets really want  him they need to  make a good offer and say take it or leave it and move oin fast.,

I think we will have mccown, new draft pick and hackenburg next year as bad as that sounds.

there it is in a nutshell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wherever Cousins goes, I don't think he's going to a team that has spent/will spend a high pick on a QB.  He's not looking for competition.

Redskins remain the best bet unless they decide the price is too high.  If Redskins let him walk, the Jets have as good as shot as any team to sign him.  The Jets are flush with cap space and can literally sign him for anything he wants and still have room to make other moves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...