What Teams Could Get Cousins

Esquire

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

They fact he turned down the 2nd highest paid contract in the NFL without countering tell me he doesn't want to play there and/or he is looking for the highest paid deal. Both those eliminate the Redskins and it would mean the Broncos need to cut a ton of players to match a deal the Bills, Jets, or Cleveland can offer. It will ultimately come down to where does he want to play and is he willing to leave money on the table to go to a contending team.

Denver should have in the area of 34+ M next year.   Your correct, they don't have near as much money as the Jets, Bills, or Browns, and they have lots of holes to fill.

The season sucked balls, but this should be an interesting off season.  I want the Jets to draft a QB, and use their cap money to fill many holes.

The sweet taste of 5 wins, has already turned bitter.  Cousins is going to want 25-30 M.  Not worth it

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Browns have 100m in cap space. They could go the experienced QB route and auction the pick now. Especially now with rumors that they are hesitant on Rosen

Know way of knowing for sure, but if I'm the Browns GM, I draft a QB #1, auction off #4 for a boat load of picks, use the picks , and the money to build a powerful team for the next ten years

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The fact that everyone expects Washington, the team most familiar with Cousins, to make Cousins available and is unwilling to sign him long term should be a ginormous bright red flag to step back and really assess the situation. It reminds me of the Glennon situation, where the team that had him refused to play him yet so many thought he was an unrealized star, and then fell flat on his face  Cousins is certainly more accomplished and better than Glennon but if people think he is going to be a franchise guy they are going to be monumentally disappointed. I think there is an interesting contrast to take note of this year. Cousins is once again compiling numbers and as usual coming up small while needed, while Keenum (certainly on a better team) is not throwing up gaudy numbers but when it matters, when he is facing adversity or a blitz Keenum is very consistently making plays that not only matter but lead his team to victory. A winning QB makes plays in the 4th quarter. How many games have you see where towards the end of the 3rd quarter Brady has done almost nothing but explodes and winds up throwing completion after completion and touchdown after touchdown.

McClown and Cousins are very similar. They compile stats, often because they fall behind early and then collapse when it matters. But the stat line at the end of the day looks different. Cousins is still fool's gold, just a little shinier.

Neil Odonnell says hi

I have inside information from a source very close to Kirk Cousins that he will sign with the Jets on the first day of free agency for market value or slightly less.  Kirk from his Michigan State days has a strong affinity for wearing green uniforms.  With the Eagles and Jets being the only two NFL teams with a predominantly green color scheme and the Eagles already having Carson Wentz the choice for him was simple.  I am afraid that I can’t reveal my source so please don’t ask for a link.  Based on this inside information I don’t believe we should need any more Kirk Cousins threads until after he signs.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NO

MORE

KIRK

COUSINS

THREADS

SAR I

Lol, you'll have to put your PSLs up for sale after the Jets sign Kirk Cousins. Kirk likes the fact Macc tried to trade for him. He wants to go to a place he's sought after.

29 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I have inside information from a source very close to Kirk Cousins that he will sign with the Jets on the first day of free agency for market value or slightly less.  Kirk from his Michigan State days has a strong affinity for wearing green uniforms.  With the Eagles and Jets being the only two NFL teams with a predominantly green color scheme and the Eagles already having Carson Wentz the choice for him was simple.  I am afraid that I can’t reveal my source so please don’t ask for a link.  Based on this inside information I don’t believe we should need any more Kirk Cousins threads until after he signs.

Link?

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Should we name it the Jets are in the playoffs next season forum?

Jet fans 2017; "I don't want to pay Kirk Cousins 25 million!"

Jet fans 2016; "Macc better get Mo signed no matter what the cost!"

Jet fans 2018; "I can't believe we're out of the playoff hunt & Bowles won't sit McClown for Mayfield" 

NY Post November 2018; Bowles balks, says May not ready for the field. Bakers dough too raw.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

They run Mark Sanchez out of town for Geno Smith and now they are moist for Kirk Cousins.

Jets fans are geniuses.

SAR I

I at least can understand the passion for Cousins.  Jets fans getting their panties wet over Teddy Bridgewater with one leg boggles my mind

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I could see Big Ben retiring, not sure how that effects his cap but that could be a team I could really see Cousins taking less money to go to. I'd be interested if the Steelers would trade Big Ben to the Redskins so they take the cap hit when he retires and the Redskins could ask for their late 1st as compensation for taking the cap hit/losing Cousins. That's really a tin foil hat theory but not totally out of the realm of possibilities given what the Browns did with with Brock this year. Trade a draft pick for cap space.

Have there been rumors of him maybe retiring? I wasn’t aware.

The cap hit for Ben is all in what would accelerate because it’s past bonus $ that hasn’t yet hit their cap. In terms of new money, he’s only due $17m/year. It’s the $6.2m/year in past bonus paid that brings it up to $23m. That $6m/year (for 2 more seasons) doesn’t go away by trading him away. All they get out of is the new money, and he has no guaranteed new money remaining on his deal, so they wouldn’t need to make a trade & give up a pick to get rid of his salary (cutting him would do it). The thing with Osweiller was he still had yet-to-be-paid guaranteed money remaining (2 years guaranteed on his deal, but only 1 of those years had yet passed). Just a different situation.

I dont think Cousins played this out to take an under market contract to play in Denver which is what they would pay him. I think hell just go to the highest bidder who promises to spend a little on the team unlike the Redskins who kind of purged the roster this past year.

The Browns will make the most sense for him. He can get paid a ton. There will be low expectations and if he wins hell be a legend. The Bills could look to make a splash and make a run at him and I think they would pay top dollar. Certainly if they dont make some contract people changes he will get a very favorable contract there. I also dont think you can discount Miami who can release Tannehill. 

Id consider the Saints a dark horse team if they cant find a way to keep Brees.

Im not sure I see him coming here. The Jets are not really aggressive with free agents and I dont think they will pull out all the stops the way some others would. You cant drag your feet on players like this and expect to get them.  

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Lol, you'll have to put your PSLs up for sale after the Jets sign Kirk Cousins. Kirk likes the fact Macc tried to trade for him. He wants to go to a place he's sought after.

All of a sudden, I hope we sign Kirk Cousins.

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

All of a sudden, I hope we sign Kirk Cousins.

I hope it happens for just this alone. I have nothing against SAR 1 but seeing him give up his PSLs and then witness Cousins getting the Jets to the playoffs with a home playoff game for the 1st time in forever in 2018 would just be funny as hell. 

9 hours ago, jason423 said:

I dont think Cousins played this out to take an under market contract to play in Denver which is what they would pay him. I think hell just go to the highest bidder who promises to spend a little on the team unlike the Redskins who kind of purged the roster this past year.

The Browns will make the most sense for him. He can get paid a ton. There will be low expectations and if he wins hell be a legend. The Bills could look to make a splash and make a run at him and I think they would pay top dollar. Certainly if they dont make some contract people changes he will get a very favorable contract there. I also dont think you can discount Miami who can release Tannehill. 

Id consider the Saints a dark horse team if they cant find a way to keep Brees.

Im not sure I see him coming here. The Jets are not really aggressive with free agents and I dont think they will pull out all the stops the way some others would. You cant drag your feet on players like this and expect to get them.  

Tannehill is on a cheap deal and was looked ready to take the next step this season. I'd be surprised if they wanted to cut him for a record setting deal. If the Saints can't keep Brees I'm not sure they can afford Cousins.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Tannehill is on a cheap deal and was looked ready to take the next step this season. I'd be surprised if they wanted to cut him for a record setting deal. If the Saints can't keep Brees I'm not sure they can afford Cousins.

Tannehill has "looked ready" to take the next step the last 5 seasons and it never happens.  Miami is better off w/ a cheaper Cutler, Miami made the playoffs in 2016 b/c Ajayi carried that O.  This year Ajayi wasn't good in Miami and they moved him. A year ago Ajay averaged 4.9 YPC, this year for Miami 3.4. 

Tannebaum likes to make big moves, if they can afford it Miami could be players for Cousins.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Tannehill has "looked ready" to take the next step the last 5 seasons and it never happens.  Miami is better off w/ a cheaper Cutler, Miami made the playoffs in 2016 b/c Ajayi carried that O.  This year Ajayi wasn't good in Miami and they moved him. A year ago Ajay averaged 4.9 YPC, this year for Miami 3.4. 

Tannebaum likes to make big moves, if they can afford it Miami could be players for Cousins.

Tannehill would be the most expensive backup qb ever by far.  I doubt Miami goes after cousins but I definitely could see them drafting a qb because Tannehill is a paper chapel

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Tannehill would be the most expensive backup qb ever by far.  I doubt Miami goes after cousins but I definitely could see them drafting a qb because Tannehill is a paper chapel

Tannehill would be released if they went after Cousins.  I hope Tannehill is back but Miami's best move would be to let him go.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Tannehill would be released if they went after Cousins.  I hope Tannehill is back but Miami's best move would be to let him go.

Tannehill’s salary next season is $19.8 million I don’t know exactly how much is guaranteed I’m guessing a good amount.  To me that’s prohibitive of Miami also trying to pay Cousins $28 million next season on top of that

Cousins is better but not by a lot 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tannehill’s salary next season is $19.8 million I don’t know exactly how much is guaranteed I’m guessing a good amount.  To me that’s prohibitive of Miami also trying to pay Cousins $28 million next season on top of that

Cousins is better but not by a lot 

I may be wrong but I believe they structured it w/ an easy out after 2 or 3 years which I think is this offseason.  Tannenbaum is good at that stuff, if they want Cousins he'll find a way.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Have there been rumors of him maybe retiring? I wasn’t aware.

The cap hit for Ben is all in what would accelerate because it’s past bonus $ that hasn’t yet hit their cap. In terms of new money, he’s only due $17m/year. It’s the $6.2m/year in past bonus paid that brings it up to $23m. That $6m/year (for 2 more seasons) doesn’t go away by trading him away. All they get out of is the new money, and he has no guaranteed new money remaining on his deal, so they wouldn’t need to make a trade & give up a pick to get rid of his salary (cutting him would do it). The thing with Osweiller was he still had yet-to-be-paid guaranteed money remaining (2 years guaranteed on his deal, but only 1 of those years had yet passed). Just a different situation.

More than just rumors, it came straight from the horse's mouth: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/28/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-possibility

He considered not playing this year and even when he decided to he said there was no guarantee past 2018. As you mentioned, he is still owed cash so it doesn't seem like a salary ploy. 

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/28/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-possibility

He considered not playing this year and even when he decided to he said there was no guarantee past 2018. As you mentioned, he is still owed cash so it doesn't seem like a salary ploy. 

That was Big Ben b-tching last offseason this year the Steelers are having a better season and Joe Haden fell into their laps he will play the next 4-5 years

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

as great as Ben is he has always been a bit of a drama queen, until he actually hangs 'em up I won't believe it it's happening anytime soon.

19 hours ago, Joejet said:

UnacceptableDaringDorking-max-1mb.gif

20 hours ago, flgreen said:

Denver should have in the area of 34+ M next year.   Your correct, they don't have near as much money as the Jets, Bills, or Browns, and they have lots of holes to fill.

The season sucked balls, but this should be an interesting off season.  I want the Jets to draft a QB, and use their cap money to fill many holes.

The sweet taste of 5 wins, has already turned bitter.  Cousins is going to want 25-30 M.  Not worth it

If not Cousins, where are the Jets going to spend that 100 mil?

20 hours ago, flgreen said:

Know way of knowing for sure, but if I'm the Browns GM, I draft a QB #1, auction off #4 for a boat load of picks, use the picks , and the money to build a powerful team for the next ten years

Why not sign Cousins and trade off 1 and 4 for an even larger boatload of picks.  Can you imagine the haul they would have if they do that?  Not to mention the additional money they'd have left.  Wish we were in their situation.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think Tannehill would jump onto my FA QB list + sit tight and draft a QB that falls to our 1st round pick.

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

OL, RB, #1 WR, pass rusher and a CB.   Just my opinion, but I don't see Cousins being worth 25-30 M.   He surely isn't the best QB in the NFL

For me it's not so much what I think he's worth, because even at $30M, we have $70M and 9 draft picks left.  Also, just  getting rid of Mo, Skrine, Forte, saves $25+ Mil.  To me it's choosing the surest path to having a solid QB with a future.  At minimum we get a couple of years with a good QB while we develop some youngsters to take over in the future.  Best case is Cousins rocks it well into his late 30s like Bree's and Brady.  Regardless it gives us a lot of options.

Archived