What Teams Could Get Cousins

Esquire

What exactly do you folks think Cousins is going to do here? If he can't get it done with the Redskins the last couple years, what exactly do you guys think he's going to do here? What precisely are the Jets bringing to the table? lol... seriously. Our defense is no better, if at all, than theirs. He's had infinitely better playmakers around him than the Jets could possibly offer

...and how's WSH doing? 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Tannehill would jump onto my FA QB list + sit tight and draft a QB that falls to our 1st round pick.

I think McCown this year was better than any year Tannehill had.  I wouldn't touch him unless he was coming in as a vet while we use a high pick on a QB so he could play until that rookie is ready.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:03 AM, Jetster said:

You guys are crazy. The Broncos won a Super Bowl with defense, they've lost 9 out of their last 10, the playoff window is closed! Look at the aging players, Thomas, Sanders, Talib, Miller, Anderson. 

Arizona is another team with aging players. Bengals window is closed. When you take McCown & Forte out of the mix the Jets are top 5 youngest teams. While the Browns have the ammo, they have a way worse recent history. Jets need a pass rusher & a stud #1 CB. Claiborne is fine as a #2. The defense can be helped by getting a QB, retooling the Oline & getting a couple of star offensive players in here.

If you get Cousins you can draft Barkley if a stud pass rusher is not there, if you can get a pass rusher, you take the best RB that falls to one of your 2nd round picks. You sign Jarvis Landry who has gotten better every year & has proven no one on the Pats can cover him. That makes everyone else (Kearse/Enunwa/Anderson/Hanson/Stewart) that much better. 

You draft best Olineman with your other 2nd, depending on who you brought in when free agency starts. I'm more inclined to pay a veteran center who takes over & leads right out of the gate & draft best LT you can find. Fire Bowles, play a 4-3, move Lee outside & get a middle LB in here. With 4 picks in the top 105 & 100 million after cutting Mo, Forte, Skrine, it's certainly doable. If you have to go Teddy Bridgewater, then you also take a QB you like & you would have enough money for another stud defensive player that shakes free in the late salary cap cuts that always come in the second wave.

Stop assuming the jets will make any kind of common sense moves. I'm mostly curious to see how badly they botch this actually. I could do a better job. So could damn near everyone on this site. Just patheitc excuse for "leadership" 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

What exactly do you folks think Cousins is going to do here? 

Dramatically improve the organization’s ability to pass the ball on offense. The Jets more than any other org in the league have been held back by their inability to pass the ball on offense for *at least* the last decade. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Dramatically improve the organization’s ability to pass the ball on offense. 

Lmao! Exactly, it will let us watch a QB that can actually take a snap, find an open WR and get the ball out quickly to said WR so he can get some YAC. That would be cool, been a long time.

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lmao! Exactly, it will let us watch a QB that can actually take a snap, find an open WR and get the ball out quickly to said WR so he can get some YAC. That would be cool, been a long time.

Yeah but he’ll be expensive and does he have heartfirewillguts?!?!?! 

The Jets don’t need a compiler. They dont need stats. They need a leader. They need a winner. A man who can look at Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the eyes and tell them “not today, not in my house buckos.” Where is this man’s house? The answer is every football field in America. Does Cousins live in every football field in America? No, they don’t welcome compilers. They need a man with a fire in his belly as well as his heart, and also that fire needs to burn in his eyes and his soul. A man with the integrity to only take from Lord Woody what he earns, and even then offers a discount because he is here to serve us! A man who knows his worth, knows that putting up compiled stats is something only the greediest, selfish wretches set out to do rather than winners. 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah but he’ll be expensive and does he have heartfirewillguts?!?!?! 

The Jets don’t need a compiler. They dont need stats. They need a leader. They need a winner. A man who can look at Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the eyes and tell them “not today, not in my house buckos.” Where is this man’s house? The answer is every football field in America. Does Cousins live in every football field in America? No, they don’t welcome compilers. They need a man with a fire in his belly as well as his heart, and also that fire needs to burn in his eyes and his soul. A man with the integrity to only take from Lord Woody what he earns, and even then offers a discount because he is here to serve us! A man who knows his worth, knows that putting up compiled stats is something only the greediest, selfish wretches set out to do rather than winners. 

If it was up to me, Kirk can come to the Jets & start compiling! Lol.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If it was up to me, Kirk can come to the Jets & start compiling! Lol.

Just as long as you understand that is ALL he would do. If you feel the Jets need a QB that just knows how to compile stats not WINS then that is on your head. You don’t know even know, but this could set the Jets back to the Stone Age. 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Just as long as you understand that is ALL he would do. If you feel the Jets need a QB that just knows how to compile stats not WINS then that is on your head. You don’t know even know, but this could set the Jets back to the Stone Age. 

I disagree. Cousins has shown the ability to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. And he's produced that way for the last 3 years. Not to mention, I don't recall Cousins having too many Pro-Bowl weapons at his disposal.

Good QB's are hard to find, please tell me a better option out there.

3 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I disagree. Cousins has shown the ability to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. And he's produced that way for the last 3 years. Not to mention, I don't recall Cousins having too many Pro-Bowl weapons at his disposal.

Exactly. Bowles & Macc were just given extensions so now you know damn well we ain't starting no rookie next year with Bowles at the helm. BPA available in 1st round, and with 2 second rounders Macc will take another shot at a QB. Book it, unless, someone wants to trade UP to the Jets spot for another 2nd & 3rd. If that transpired I could see them taking a QB if someone they liked is still on the board where they end up picking. 

With Bowles back a trade back scenario would be best in the 2018 draft. I wouldn't mind a bit, knowing we're going vet QB all the way in 2018. Cousins-Keenum-Bridgewater- Taylor- Smith- AJ McCarron- Bortles- Brees- Tannyhill- McCown- one out of these players WILL be the starting QB for the NY Jets next year. So, with that in mind we need to retool the Oline & get some playmakers in here. A trade back if possible would be SWEET in this draft. 

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think McCown this year was better than any year Tannehill had.  I wouldn't touch him unless he was coming in as a vet while we use a high pick on a QB so he could play until that rookie is ready.

Yea I'd include him with the McCarron/Bortles crew on a Glennon type deal while taking a QB in round 1. I think he's more expensive than those 2 though.

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Dramatically improve the organization’s ability to pass the ball on offense. The Jets more than any other org in the league have been held back by their inability to pass the ball on offense for *at least* the last decade. 

really? because Passing the ball wasn't a problem in 2017.

How exactly is Cousins going to best his WSH performance here? 

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Cousins wouldn’t be significantly better than what McCown was this season

5 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Draft

On 12/27/2017 at 4:17 AM, johnnysd said:

All teams can figure a way to sign him if they really do. The day he signs somewhere other than here will be a happy day. He is a younger (albeit slightly better) version of Fitz and McClown-stats compilers that come up small when needed.

i tend to agree.  he's being touted as another in the line of can't miss guys and worth every penny of his soon to be north of 20M contract.  this is his payday so he's going to want a fat multi year guaranteed contract.

did anyone notice that stafford or red ryder both missed the playoffs?  how did matty ice fare? or even ELIte?

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea I'd include him with the McCarron/Bortles crew on a Glennon type deal while taking a QB in round 1. I think he's more expensive than those 2 though.

I'd love McCown back for 1 more year. if the rookie isn't ready McCown plays until he is.  He won't be expensive and he will help the young players.  I expect McCown back and a 1st rd QB taken in the draft.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Cousins wouldn’t be significantly better than what McCown was this season

Oh OK sounds legit

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

really? because Passing the ball wasn't a problem in 2017.

Even if someone believes this the team can get way better at passing the ball. Cousins’ worst year as a starter has been significantly better than anything the Jets have gotten out of a starter in some 15+ years.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Oh OK sounds legit

Even if someone believes this the team can get way better at passing the ball. Cousins’ worst year as a starter has been significantly better than anything the Jets have gotten out of a starter in some 15+ years.

well it is legit. Everything i said is true. 

Yet, I know why you're dismissing my posts - it fails to capture the big picture. Cousins does present a solution (might not be the best solution) but a solution. I'm not saying we can't benefit from his being here. What i'm saying is, he's not the best solution for us, because of that same big picture. 

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

well it is legit. Everything i said is true. 

Yet, I know why you're dismissing my posts - it fails to capture the big picture. I know, I get it. Cousins does present a solution (might not be the best solution) but a solution. I'm not saying we can't benefit from his being here. What i'm saying is, he's not the best solution for us, because of that same big picture. 

Well no

I don’t understand the second paragraph is meant to say. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

eh, i'm just talking about me now. I dropped the Cousins production vs the Jets about 4 posts ago. I been speaking from the heart.

Damn yo, that’s mad deep. I think you just converted me to wanting the Jets to win and win the Super Bowl. The first thing they should do is prioritize improving the passing game to competitive levels. 

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Redskins don't let cousins walk out the door

If Cousins wants to test FA how are they going to be able to match a deal? I'm not sure the Redskins are willing to pay the price of a franchise tag if Cousins is not willing to work out a long term deal before 2019 FA. If the Redskins offer the most them maybe he stays but I don't see how they will be able to do that.

Cousins would be like when we signed O'Donnel(sp?). High priced and won't be the answer or any better than Fitz/McCown. I vote for either of the following cases:

1) Sign either MaCarron or Bridgewater and draft a QB this year in round 1. (This case gives you 2 chances for a QB to pan out)

2) Re-sign McCown for 1 year and draft a QB this year in round 1. (This case goes all in on the draft pick being the QB)

For the case of 1 above the difference in prices for either of those QBs is a lot compared to Cousins and probably will not net less production. The money saved can be used on FA Oline, CB, etc. as well as keeping our own FAs i.e MLB Davis, TE ASJ, CB Claiborne, K Canazarro, etc. And we can spend the rest of the draft on OLB, RB, etc.

Archived