Please point me to a Baker Mayfield thread

Dcronin

Or weigh in with what you think.

I thought his tape was incredible. He throws people open. Almost all of his tape is darts to covered guys, right where the ball should be.

So tired of college tape that looks like Pop Warner, with throws to WRs 10-15 yards away from any coverage.

He's fiery and competitive. Is he too Manziel-ish?

Looks great to me. Anyway, welcome to the Jets, Case Keenum!

DC

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

I thought his tape was incredible. He throws people open. Almost all of his tape is darts to covered guys, right where the ball should be.

So tired of college tape that looks like Pop Warner, with throws to WRs 10-15 yards away from any coverage.

DC

I've been all in on Mayfield for a while. Keenum or Bridgewater could be options? - I think the Vikes I dump Mr Injury Sam Bradford, and re-sign Keenum.

30 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

DC

Way better than Manziel in my opinion who just lobbed the ball up in the air for Mike Evans to go get. Mayfield does look terrific and his arm is very underrated and as you say he throws people open a lot. I still think he’s a littlle too harum-scarum back there in the pocket and the saying ‘plays with his hair on fire’ was written for him which I’m not sure will work in the NFL but he’s an exciting playmaker.

It’s also worth noting that the Oklahoma offense has produced NFL calibre starters in the recent past so the questions about whether he can translate to the pro game shouldn’t be an issue as much as they might be for Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk. I’m no expert but it appears they run an offense at Oklahoma that has more pro-style routes and deep, long developing plays thansay the offense Bryce Petty ran at Baylor.

I wouldn’t be too upset with Mayfield if we got him without having to give up additional picks.

DC

BTW check out the tape on Lamar Jackson. Ignore all the running plays and just watch how beautifully the guy zips the ball around to his receivers. Seriously think LJ is underrated at this point. The problem with him is that he appears to be a running QB that can pass rather than a proper pocket QB who will take off when required( I see Baker Mayfield as the latter)

DC

You must be watching the wrong tape, I’d say 70% of his completions are to guys who are open by 10-15 yards, maybe rewatch the tapes.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You must be watching the wrong tape, I’d say 70% of his completions are to guys who are open by 10-15 yards, maybe rewatch the tapes.

I have seen a little of both.

I am most impressed by his head constantly moving to find an open receiver.  Yes, many times he hits the first read.  But when the primary is covered, he scans the field before deciding to run

I'm at the point where I think I want this kid over everyone.  To me, he's most likely to have a successful NFL career.

After all, we're not drafting someone's height or arm strength.  You have to watch them play and ask yourself...

What QB gives you the best chance to win a Super Bowls?  To me it's Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield stands in the shotgun and claps his hands.  They snap him the ball and he runs around looking for one of his stud skill players.  It won't be llke that in the nfl.

He is talented though.  I wouldn' bet against him.  But for the Jets, I would not draft him. 

11 minutes ago, TJ said:

Baker Mayfield stands in the shotgun and claps his hands.  They snap him the ball and he runs around looking for one of his stud skill players.  It won't be llke that in the nfl.

He is talented though.  I wouldn' bet against him.  But for the Jets, I would not draft him. 

Yeah...that’s not all he does.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

Chiefs Broncos here in the final week.  We need to be PULLING HARD for the Broncos.

Chiefs clinch a playoff birth and the division. They should be sitting starters. its Tampa Bay that concerns me. They need to beat the Saints. They played the Falcons and Panthers the last two week and should of won against Carolina..so they aren’t slouches. Maybe things can break right. We need one of these top guys. 

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

My apologize I have that much influence. ;)

Dude, you went in HARD on Geno and Glennon....

There is a saying this reminds me of, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, shame on both of us

Mayfield does a lot more than just clap his hands and throw to open guys. I have watched every Oklahoma game this season since they beat OSU in the horseshoe. I have seen Mayfield thread the needle many times and bring his team back from deficits time and again. The guy has a non-stop motor and can flat out play. He is perfect for this team and this city. There is no doubt in my mind he can play in NY and succeed. He has all the tools and the attitude to play winning football. All he needs is the right team at the right time. The Jets need them some Baker Mayfield and if there come pick time he should be it. I doubt Macchole takes him though after all he is Macchole.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Establish flow and stop being a follower then. Just remember, so flows lead to gold so flows lead to sewers. 

Both of those beats being a follower though. Followers only use their fingers to point. 

Dude, I have been banned from this site 918 times, or maybe its 919, if I was simply a follower, I never would have been banned :)

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Mayfield does a lot more than just clap his hands and throw to open guys. I have watched every Oklahoma game this season since they beat OSU in the horseshoe. I have seen Mayfield thread the needle many times and bring his team back from deficits time and again. The guy has a non-stop motor and can flat out play. He is perfect for this team and this city. There is no doubt in my mind he can play in NY and succeed. He has all the tools and the attitude to play winning football. All he needs is the right team at the right time. The Jets need them some Baker Mayfield and if there come pick time he should be it. I doubt Macchole takes him though after all he is Macchole.

Guys here don’t watch tape we’ll enough if at all, because the narrative of Mayfield has already swayed their opinions in a negitive light. Does Mayfield run a spread? Sure..to an extent. He als does pro QB things in that same system. He also shows pro traits through that very system. He also has a lot of accuracy and good decision making ability. What was the main knock on most of our QB’s drafted? They don’t have accuracy. You can barely improve a QB’s accuracy once he gets in the NFL. The windows are tighter. Baker won’t have this issue. That’s also why I wonder why people knock his mechanics when he throws 70 or over 3 years in a row. And it’s not because of easy one reads because OK is a mixed bag.

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah...that’s not all he does.

I never said thats all he does.  I've watched a lot of his games.  He' a great college qb.  From what I've seen, he's pretty accurate on long throws.   He might succeed in the right system, but the NFL will be a shock for him. ? 

Like most fans, I'm on board with Mayfield or Lamar. But I think that has to do with our past experience of drafting big, strong armed & inaccurate QB's without a successful track record in college (Hackenberg and Petty to a lesser extent). Mayfield seems like the opposite (shorter, accurate and successful in college).

Don't mind giving one of these guys a shot (just for the excitement factor). I just hope we don't trade up for them. Too many holes to fill.

13 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Any word on whether the Chiefs are going to be resting their starters on Sunday? Going to be key for the Broncos to pick after us if we are thinking of pulling the trigger on a QB in round 1.

Can’t find anything now. Hoping to god that they do. They should. They are locked in. Dunno if they are fighting for home field advantage? Really not sure. Might waltz over to the KC Chiefs forum and see what I can find out by skimming thru.

Archived