Jump to content

Manish Mehta Got IT RIGHT this Time!!


UnTypicalJET
 Share

Recommended Posts

There is strong belief that Jets want to bring back Todd Bowles... but should he even want to return? 

You don't need a PhD in Tasseography to read these tea leaves: There's a strong belief on One Jets Drive that ownership wants Todd Bowles to continue to lead this rebuilding outfit.

Nothing is officially official, but Woody and Christopher Johnson have put a premium on stability at head coach and general manager during this rebuilding process. However, there are important questions for Bowles to consider before anything is finalized.

First and foremost, do the Jets have a smart plan to land a franchise quarterback?

Bowles, who is under contract for 2018, is a patient man, but how much longer does he have to patch together a squad unsettled at the most pivotal position in American team sports? He has fielded a pair of journeyman quarterbacks and been put in the unenviable position of defending a pair of developmental quarterbacks in his first three seasons.

Real talk: The Jets could — and perhaps, should — have beaten the playoff-bound Saints and potentially playoff-bound Chargers the past two weeks with a better quarterback.

I wouldn't wish this signal-caller mess on my worst enemy.

The Jets simply don't have a chance to win with Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg. One year after a 41-3 Christmas Eve bloodbath in Foxborough, Bowles & Co. will likely ring in 2018 with another loss to the Evil Empire on Sunday.

NOV. 12, 2017, FILE PHOTO

Todd Bowles should consider whether he wants to truly return to the Jets.

 (STEVE NESIUS/AP)

Secondly, will the Jets crack open their projected $100 million vault to spend real cash on free agents to fill critical roster holes (including quarterback)?

General manager Mike Maccagnan will have ample salary cap space to make necessary upgrades, but the Johnson brothers still sign the checks. Ownership sent the right message by setting realistic expectations in the wake of an offseason roster purge, but the bosses can't stop there.

Maccagnan and Bowles should have the freedom to spend in free agency. The financial commitment from ownership will be critical to transition into the next phase of this rebuilding project.

Finally, does Maccagnan have a clear plan to accelerate this process?

The Jets GM wants to build through the draft, but it's time to press his foot on the gas this offseason. There's no need to go into reckless overdrive by flooring it, but can we please step out of the low-risk, high-reward comfort zone?

Take bigger chances. Get out of the grandma lane on the highway. Keep up with traffic. (Full disclosure: Maccagnan has tried to trade up for quarterbacks in the first round in the past, but the price tag was too steep. So, he's not sitting on his hands like his predecessor).

Jets ownership clearly wants to bring back Todd Bowles, but he will have a decision to make.

Jets ownership clearly wants to bring back Todd Bowles, but he will have a decision to make.

 (SEAN GARDNER/GETTY IMAGES)

The Jets have done a solid job setting a proper foundation necessary for sustainable success, but it's time to speed it up a bit. Bowles, who should get a two-year extension, needs help from the front office and ownership if this is going to work.

Whispers that other teams would be interested in Bowles if he somehow shakes free shouldn't be a surprise. He's a respected coach around the league. Surely, the Jets are aware of that regardless of the chatter from misguided Barcalounger wizards. Lombardi and Halas couldn't weave magic with the Jets this season after the roster tear down last spring.

Bowles is the driving force behind a much-needed culture shift. Team chemistry is a vital intangible that doesn't materialize with the snap of a finger.

Bowles has also done well conveying his no-nonsense message. His handling of Muhammad Wilkerson is clear evidence that he's not messing around. If you repeatedly screw up, you're done, no matter how good of a player you think you are or how much you can help. In other words, nonsense won't be tolerated.

The team's competitiveness despite roster deficiencies is another significant piece to this puzzle. The Jets, who are 2-3 against teams that have clinched a playoff berth, have been competitive in 13 of 15 games entering the season finale in Foxborough on Sunday. It's foolish to marginalize that in this first rebuilding phase. Lesser teams would have crumbled.

Bowles has managed five wins with a roster that should undergo radical reconstruction this offseason. The Jets' pursuit of a franchise quarterback rightfully will grab the headlines, but this team also needs one or two offensive linemen, at least one offensive playmaker (either No. 1 wide receiver or running back), an edge rusher, one or two cornerbacks and a returner.

The Jets need to allow GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to spend more freely in free agency.

The Jets need to allow GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to spend more freely in free agency.

 (JEFF ZELEVANSKY/GETTY IMAGES)

In the meantime, Bowles and his revamped staff have developed young pieces like Jamal Adams, Darron Lee, Marcus Maye, Jordan Jenkins, Robby Anderson, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Brandon Shell. That hasn't gone unnoticed by the Johnson brothers, according to people to familiar with what the Johnson brothers have noticed.

Bowles has done a commendable job maximizing the talent on this roster (with a first-time offensive coordinator, by the way).

Nitpicking Bowles' clock management is laughable. Andy Reid was lampooned for years for his game management. Bill Belichick, universally praised as the Grandmaster of Situational Football, would have been roasted for eternity for his decision not to call a timeout in the waning moments of Super Bowl XLIX before the single dumbest play-call in Super Bowl history turned Malcolm Butler into a hero… and preserved the Hoodie's genius status.

Bowles is far from perfect — it's fair to criticize the team's fourth-quarter struggles — but it's silly to think that the team should go out in search for the next Sean McVay… because McVay is a unicorn. Chasing the presumed next great young offensive mind often results in failure, discord and embarrassment. Just ask the Giants.

Bowles is the right leader for the Jets. They appear to want him back, but there are still important factors that he shoulder consider before it's a done deal.

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/strong-belief-jets-todd-bowles-return-article-1.3723172

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is true beyond belief. 

However something is wrong with the fact that neither Petty now Hackenburg can see the field with any confidence by the team. 

If it isn’t Bowles’ fault which it appears that it isn’t when you see how Petty has played so far then McCagnan has to be held accountable.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Macc tried to trade up for QBs but the price was too steep.”

This is probably the most damning evidence against keep Macc. There is no price too steep to pay for a franchise QB. If you think there is a guy who could steer the ship for the next 12 seasons and your options are the long line of bad QBs they’ve chosen the last few years, then get that guy. Plain and simple Macc doesn’t have the cajones or the wherewithal to get the job done. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Mehta was a lot more convincing when he was running interference for Rex. He lacks conviction in these repeated Bowles apologias. 

Sounds like a reporter trying to make sure he still has a pleasant relationship with Bowles whether he does return or not. No real down side. If Bowles would move on,  lil'Manish  can use him as a source of nonsense and can then try to suck the ass of the New Guy. Really if he advocated firing his awful sorry sack act and Bowles came back anyway, Mehta might be a very sad boy at Florham Park next season. Though who knows; the Daily news is right now always 10 minutes from going under. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

“Macc tried to trade up for QBs but the price was too steep.”

This is probably the most damning evidence against keep Macc. There is no price too steep to pay for a franchise QB. If you think there is a guy who could steer the ship for the next 12 seasons and your options are the long line of bad QBs they’ve chosen the last few years, then get that guy. Plain and simple Macc doesn’t have the cajones or the wherewithal to get the job done. 

Wait a minute...if there is no price 'too steep' to pay for a franchise QB for the GM, then there should be no price to pay that is 'too steep' for the HC to develop a young QB that is on the roster.  If Hack and Petty have 'all the tools', then the HC should DEVELOP them, and give them a shot at the job...like, 1st team reps.

Don't discount Bowles role in all of this QB drama....he could have given the job to Petty to start, Hack if/when he failed, and then at least have had the defense that he tried with the assets provided.

McCown was a safe choice in the present, but a loser looking long term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No.  Mehta got it completely wrong again.  This is the same Bowles that took a knee with over a minute remaining in a half.  The same Bowles that gave up with over 30 seconds left in the half in BUF.  The same Bowles that was driving the bus while Wilkerson quit on the team.   He has shown repeatedly he has little sense of the game clock and in-game adjustments.  He doesn't seem to have any command of how the run an offense and frankly, the defense was not special this year.  

Yet here is Mehta organizing a parade because the team won 5 games when they were predicted to win perhaps 3?  

If he's such a hot commodity in the league, let just one team offer us a 4th rounder for him.  And say 'yes'.

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Wait a minute...if there is no price 'too steep' to pay for a franchise QB for the GM, then there should be no price to pay that is 'too steep' for the HC to develop a young QB that is on the roster.  If Hack and Petty have 'all the tools', then the HC should DEVELOP them, and give them a shot at the job...like, 1st team reps.

Don't discount Bowles role in all of this QB drama....he could have given the job to Petty to start, Hack if/when he failed, and then at least have had the defense that he tried with the assets provided.

McCown was a safe choice in the present, but a loser looking long term.

Or there isn’t anything to develop there and both QBs are not very good, which would call into question the scouting of the GM. I’m not saying Bowles is blameless, but Macc is very bad at his job. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mehta, all apologetic for poor Todd!

The guy would throw anyone under the bus. Todd gets the basics wrong.

I get we don't have a great roster, but he lacks a basic feel for the game, he can't use timeouts, and he has no Balls.

The reason he stays his little bro can't make the Decisions while Woody's in London. I expect a Sack less status quo. I hate the GM can't hire, fire his own guy. I wish the Johnson's would sell the team.

Keeping Bowles for me is worse then watching the sh*t every week, because it means more of the same next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think they need two OLineman. Center and a guard at a minimum. Winters was bad.

Edge rusher is a must. Top corner is a must. I am still holding out hope for Juston Burris as a # 2 CB.

Thought it got lost in all the Petty noise but Burris played pretty well on `Sunday and I always think Darryl Roberts shows up and plays hard. Would just be nice to see if we have something in Rashard Robinson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Thought it got lost in all the Petty noise but Burris played pretty well on `Sunday and I always think Darryl Roberts shows up and plays hard. Would just be nice to see if we have something in Rashard Robinson

Robinson not playing (starter in SF)  shows the devision between Bowles and Macc. Something has to give. It reminds me of the Idzik and Ryan relationship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, UnTypicalJET said:

There is strong belief that Jets want to bring back Todd Bowles... but should he even want to return? 

You don't need a PhD in Tasseography to read these tea leaves: There's a strong belief on One Jets Drive that ownership wants Todd Bowles to continue to lead this rebuilding outfit.

Nothing is officially official, but Woody and Christopher Johnson have put a premium on stability at head coach and general manager during this rebuilding process. However, there are important questions for Bowles to consider before anything is finalized.

First and foremost, do the Jets have a smart plan to land a franchise quarterback?

Bowles, who is under contract for 2018, is a patient man, but how much longer does he have to patch together a squad unsettled at the most pivotal position in American team sports? He has fielded a pair of journeyman quarterbacks and been put in the unenviable position of defending a pair of developmental quarterbacks in his first three seasons.

Real talk: The Jets could — and perhaps, should — have beaten the playoff-bound Saints and potentially playoff-bound Chargers the past two weeks with a better quarterback.

I wouldn't wish this signal-caller mess on my worst enemy.

The Jets simply don't have a chance to win with Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg. One year after a 41-3 Christmas Eve bloodbath in Foxborough, Bowles & Co. will likely ring in 2018 with another loss to the Evil Empire on Sunday.

NOV. 12, 2017, FILE PHOTO

Todd Bowles should consider whether he wants to truly return to the Jets.

 (STEVE NESIUS/AP)

Secondly, will the Jets crack open their projected $100 million vault to spend real cash on free agents to fill critical roster holes (including quarterback)?

General manager Mike Maccagnan will have ample salary cap space to make necessary upgrades, but the Johnson brothers still sign the checks. Ownership sent the right message by setting realistic expectations in the wake of an offseason roster purge, but the bosses can't stop there.

Maccagnan and Bowles should have the freedom to spend in free agency. The financial commitment from ownership will be critical to transition into the next phase of this rebuilding project.

Finally, does Maccagnan have a clear plan to accelerate this process?

The Jets GM wants to build through the draft, but it's time to press his foot on the gas this offseason. There's no need to go into reckless overdrive by flooring it, but can we please step out of the low-risk, high-reward comfort zone?

Take bigger chances. Get out of the grandma lane on the highway. Keep up with traffic. (Full disclosure: Maccagnan has tried to trade up for quarterbacks in the first round in the past, but the price tag was too steep. So, he's not sitting on his hands like his predecessor).

Jets ownership clearly wants to bring back Todd Bowles, but he will have a decision to make.

Jets ownership clearly wants to bring back Todd Bowles, but he will have a decision to make.

 (SEAN GARDNER/GETTY IMAGES)

The Jets have done a solid job setting a proper foundation necessary for sustainable success, but it's time to speed it up a bit. Bowles, who should get a two-year extension, needs help from the front office and ownership if this is going to work.

Whispers that other teams would be interested in Bowles if he somehow shakes free shouldn't be a surprise. He's a respected coach around the league. Surely, the Jets are aware of that regardless of the chatter from misguided Barcalounger wizards. Lombardi and Halas couldn't weave magic with the Jets this season after the roster tear down last spring.

Bowles is the driving force behind a much-needed culture shift. Team chemistry is a vital intangible that doesn't materialize with the snap of a finger.

Bowles has also done well conveying his no-nonsense message. His handling of Muhammad Wilkerson is clear evidence that he's not messing around. If you repeatedly screw up, you're done, no matter how good of a player you think you are or how much you can help. In other words, nonsense won't be tolerated.

The team's competitiveness despite roster deficiencies is another significant piece to this puzzle. The Jets, who are 2-3 against teams that have clinched a playoff berth, have been competitive in 13 of 15 games entering the season finale in Foxborough on Sunday. It's foolish to marginalize that in this first rebuilding phase. Lesser teams would have crumbled.

Bowles has managed five wins with a roster that should undergo radical reconstruction this offseason. The Jets' pursuit of a franchise quarterback rightfully will grab the headlines, but this team also needs one or two offensive linemen, at least one offensive playmaker (either No. 1 wide receiver or running back), an edge rusher, one or two cornerbacks and a returner.

The Jets need to allow GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to spend more freely in free agency.

The Jets need to allow GM Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles to spend more freely in free agency.

 (JEFF ZELEVANSKY/GETTY IMAGES)

In the meantime, Bowles and his revamped staff have developed young pieces like Jamal Adams, Darron Lee, Marcus Maye, Jordan Jenkins, Robby Anderson, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Brandon Shell. That hasn't gone unnoticed by the Johnson brothers, according to people to familiar with what the Johnson brothers have noticed.

Bowles has done a commendable job maximizing the talent on this roster (with a first-time offensive coordinator, by the way).

Nitpicking Bowles' clock management is laughable. Andy Reid was lampooned for years for his game management. Bill Belichick, universally praised as the Grandmaster of Situational Football, would have been roasted for eternity for his decision not to call a timeout in the waning moments of Super Bowl XLIX before the single dumbest play-call in Super Bowl history turned Malcolm Butler into a hero… and preserved the Hoodie's genius status.

Bowles is far from perfect — it's fair to criticize the team's fourth-quarter struggles — but it's silly to think that the team should go out in search for the next Sean McVay… because McVay is a unicorn. Chasing the presumed next great young offensive mind often results in failure, discord and embarrassment. Just ask the Giants.

Bowles is the right leader for the Jets. They appear to want him back, but there are still important factors that he shoulder consider before it's a done deal.

 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/strong-belief-jets-todd-bowles-return-article-1.3723172

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Then next Vince Lombardi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Mehta, all apologetic for poor Todd!

The guy would throw anyone under the bus. Todd gets the basics wrong.

I get we don't have a great roster, but he lacks a basic feel for the game, he can't use timeouts, and he has no Balls.

The reason he stays his little bro can't make the Decisions while Woody's in London. I expect a Sack less status quo. I hate the GM can't hire, fire his own guy. I wish the Johnson's would sell the team.

Keeping Bowles for me is worse then watching the sh*t every week, because it means more of the same next year. 

Amazing people still reprint MM articles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi I'm Todd Bowles, I've decided to let the league know I'm available to bring my 11-21 two year record to your local NFL football team. If you like old fashioned football I'm your man. I won't take any crazy chances & try to score in any 2 minute situation...just too dangerous. Also TOs are overrated , I like to use them at any moment of the game except in situations when I'm not trying to score as it's much better to sit on a deficit until we at least get to the 4th quarter. Of course, if we're outscored in the 3rd quarter too, there is no point in using TOs as running the ball & burning the clock is the best way to end the game, get out of town & put another loss behind us. In fact I never look back, just forward, that's why we never review tape of past mistakes as they are in the past. Let me bring my brilliance to your organization. I'm available for just a 4th round pick. I'll be waiting for your calls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Hi I'm Todd Bowles, I've decided to let the league know I'm available to bring my 11-21 two year record to your local NFL football team. If you like old fashioned football I'm your man. I won't take any crazy chances & try to score in any 2 minute situation...just too dangerous. Also TOs are overrated , I like to use them at any moment of the game except in situations when I'm not trying to score as it's much better to sit on a deficit until we at least get to the 4th quarter. Of course, if we're outscored in the 3rd quarter too, there is no point in using TOs as running the ball & burning the clock is the best way to end the game, get out of town & put another loss behind us. In fact I never look back, just forward, that's why we never review tape of past mistakes as they are in the past. Let me bring my brilliance to your organization. I'm available for just a 4th round pick. I'll be waiting for your calls.

it's actually 10-21, we'll need to beat NE to get to 11-21:lol:

what is interesting is that since the NFL went to a 16 game sched in 1978 the Jets had NEVER gone 5-11, we are about to do it twice in a row.  Todd Bowles can do things most HC's rarely can.  He's special.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's actually 10-21, we'll need to beat NE to get to 11-21:lol:

what is interesting is that since the NFL went to a 16 game sched in 1978 the Jets had NEVER gone 5-11, we are about to do it twice in a row.  Todd Bowles can do things most HC's rarely can.  He's special.

Some people would argue that he did a nice job getting five wins out of a team with McCown/Petty as the starting QBs, as well as being competitive in all but 2 games. Look no further than the 49ers to illustrate how important a quality starting QB is. Kyle Shanahan did not suddenly become a better HC.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Bowles is trash. This article is trash. Lol, hes getting credit for fixing the culture when it was him that lost the locker room in the first place and a veteran purge was needed to get it under control. The best thing this organization can do is fire both of them and start over, but NOT repeat the mistakes of the past trying to find the next Parcells

The bolded is overlooked by so many in evaluating  Bowles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Good article.

Maccagnan needs to get better at his job. That’s the biggest issue with the Jets organization right now. He’s made some nice moves but overall he’s sucked. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, enough said. 

Yep, I agree.  While I'm still not necessarily sold on Bowles there needs to be a little more anger directed towards the GM who over 3 seasons here now has left the HC with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, and Josh McCown at QB.  It's time for Macc to show some conviction and get a franchise QB this year or he needs to he shown the door.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...