Wow Rudolph looked really good.

Jetster

I don't follow college ball but I've been watching games involving the QBs available in the upcoming draft. Mason Rudolph looked like he has a chance to be an NFL QB to me. I saw him move in the pocket with his eyes down field, sense pressure around him, run 15 yards for a 1st down, throw very accurate short passes with good velocity, throw a dart TD on the run, thrown exactly where it needed to be, flick a long TD pass with beautiful touch that dropped right into the WRs hands. If we lose & Denver wins, if Macc is in the QB business there WILL BE someone there worthy of a 1st round pick. I've watched Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson, Stidham, Rudolph and I know there are others but haven't actually watched them play, I'm starting to think that Scouts who have claimed this is the best QB group since 2004 might be proven to be correct.

While we're not picking in the top 2, a QB will fall to us out of this group. With a high 1st & 2 second rounders, Macc really has a chance for redemption for the Hackenberg mistake. If we came out with Rudolph/Mayfield/Jackson at QB, Bryce Love @ RB, and a stud center (Price?), I'd be doing cartwheels. It's not out of the realm of possibility. 

I too watch very little college football. But I'm all for Mason Rudolph. Seems to have it all (size, arm strength, accurancy, some mobility). And his numbers back up everything we see.

Is there a reason why he's not mentioned in the same sentence as Darnold & Rosen, or even considered close to those guys?

Someone is YET to properly and competently explain as to WHY Mason Rudolph is being dismissed by some resident JN "experts" (a few with their own heads stuck up their @$$) as to simply "Another Bryce Petty."

Aside from the elementary offense, Rudolph has shown a nice arm and with a BEAUTIFUL deep ball. He is similar in size (6'5" 230lbs), but seems to have the frame to add another 20 pounds unlike Petty (6'3" 230lbs) who's gotten leaner rather than stronger (thus injury prone). The only consistent criticism I've come across is that Rudolph's short-intermediate accuracy is pedestrian. Yet, he had some GORGEOUS throws with REAL VELOCITY on some out/cross ins routes and nice touch passes to his RB last night. I've monitored him all season and he's not a bad consolation prize in the 2nd round. Like ALL current college QBs, there's will be a process to acclimate to the complexity and speed of the QB Pro game that takes YEARS; the Good ones adapt quicker - Wentz, Goff, Russel Wilson. 

If Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, & Jackson are gone by our 7th pick, I'd settle for Rudolph in the 2nd if OL or CB are addressed with the remaining 3 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

Great arm, questionable mid to lower range touch, doesn't drop back, and obviously runs a single read heavy offense. He was able to air it out on the Cowboys but he wont likely be that same player at a professional level. How able is he to make a multiple reads while under more pressure with tighter coverage on his receivers?

That conversion to the pro's is gonna hit him HARD, he is a tools and upside pick for sure. And I'm not sure that's what Mac will be looking for after getting burned on that in the past (he's better than Petty and Hack coming out though)

9 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Great arm, questionable mid to lower range touch, doesn't drop back, and obviously runs a single read heavy offense. He was able to air it out on the Cowboys but he wont likely be that same player at a professional level. How able is he to make a multiple reads while under more pressure with tighter coverage on his receivers?

That conversion to the pro's is gonna hit him HARD, he is a tools and upside pick for sure. And I'm not sure that's what Mac will be looking for after getting burned on that in the past (he's better than Petty and Hack coming out though)

I've watched a ton of Mason Rudolph, and I've never come away thinking he has a great arm. Good arm? Sure, but he doesn't have A arm strength. That alone isn't a big deal, but he plays in a VERY QB friendly system. The type of system that got Brandon Weeden drafted high. 

For every Brandon Weeden, there are also some Derek Carr's and maybe Pat Mahommes that are spread Qbs that succeed in the NFL. But Mahommes is a far better talent than Rudolph. 

I am not anti-Rudolph. He is an OK prospect and like some have said a decent 2nd round QB, but after Petty/Hack, I don't think Macc can/will settle for a "decent" prospect in Rudolph and hope to find the next Derek Carr. I think it's a top 10 guy or a Cousins.  

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've watched a ton of Mason Rudolph, and I've never come away thinking he has a great arm. Good arm? Sure, but he doesn't have A arm strength. That alone isn't a big deal, but he plays in a VERY QB friendly system. The type of system that got Brandon Weeden drafted high. 

For every Brandon Weeden, there are also some Derek Carr's and maybe Pat Mahommes that are spread Qbs that succeed in the NFL. But Mahommes is a far better talent than Rudolph. 

I am not anti-Rudolph. He is an OK prospect and like some have said a decent 2nd round QB, but after Petty/Hack, I don't think Macc can/will settle for a "decent" prospect in Rudolph and hope to find the next Derek Carr. I think it's a top 10 guy or a Cousins.  

This

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nicely put. ++

29 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

One of the knocks on him is he had an average arm at best and can my for the ball into tight windows.  Another is he doesn't go through progressions, he's a first read only guy who also, like Petty, will have to learn how to line up under center.  Here's viewed as a developmental guy.

You cut, Hack, Petty, don't sign McCown.  You then draft 3 QB's with our first 3 picks - and let them fight it out for starter, backup and 3rd string.  Hire 3 QB coaches.

Heck, let the fight it out week-to-week if you need to...but find the F-in QB./

I get you're wasting two picks - but we NEED to find that QB - this toiling in mediocrity is just getting old.  I can't take it anymore.

3 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I too watch very little college football. But I'm all for Mason Rudolph. Seems to have it all (size, arm strength, accurancy, some mobility). And his numbers back up everything we see.

Is there a reason why he's not mentioned in the same sentence as Darnold & Rosen, or even considered close to those guys?

I've watched both Darnold & Rudolph now & I actually liked what I saw from Rudolph by my eye test but what do I know? I'm just not familiar with college defenses either so not sure ??

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’m cool with him. If he’s a winner we can all wear red noses in is honor. That would be fun 

If he turns out to be the real deal & we draft him, those home games in December with all the fans wearing red nose bulbs would be pretty entertaining for sure.

4 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

He’s another Paxton Lynch

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I've watched both Darnold & Rudolph now & I actually liked what I saw from Rudolph by my eye test but what do I know? I'm just not familiar with college defenses either so not sure ??

Darnold plays in a pro style offense and his game is similar to a Roethlisberger that’s why he will be the #1 pick

2 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Sounds like the little dude who just won a Heisman except he has an nfl arm.

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Darnold plays in a pro style offense and his game is similar to a Roethlisberger that’s why he will be the #1 pick

We'll see. If this stuff was so easy Rogers wouldn't last to 24, Wilson in the 3rd round, Winston not going to Cleveland ect. I only care what they do in the NFL not where they get taken.

17 hours ago, JiF said:

Sounds like the little dude who just won a Heisman except he has an nfl arm.

Just so you know most observers are not concerned at all with Mayfield's arm in any way. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/11/08/in-oklahomas-baker-mayfield-nfl-teams-could-see-shades-of-russell-wilson-brett-favre/?utm_term=.e972966292ba

1 minute ago, Mackman55 said:

That’s fine.  Tons of ridiculous articles and opinions will be thrown around now til April but you can see he has just an adequate arm.  Nothing special.  Comparing him to Favre is crazy talk. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

That’s fine.  Tons of ridiculous articles and opinions will be thrown around now til April but you can see he has just an adequate arm.  Nothing special.  Comparing him to Favre is crazy talk. 

Hey, nobody has an arm like Favre in his prime. Mayfield's arm is strong enough to make all the throws and do it very accurately from a variety of arm angles. It will be crazy to see how this draft goes, especially if Darnold comes out.

1 minute ago, Mackman55 said:

Hey, nobody has an arm like Favre in his prime. Mayfield's arm is strong enough to make all the throws and do it very accurately from a variety of arm angles. It will be crazy to see how this draft goes, especially if Darnold comes out.

Yep!  This one is going to be interesting.

I wonder if Mayfield throws with his shoulder pads and helmet on at his pro day? ;-)

If you go by Bill Parsells philosophy, I believe he checks all the boxes for a draft able QB.  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/4/4/11358586/how-accurate-are-the-bill-parcells-rules-for-drafting-quarterbacks

Another option with Rudolph could be trading back into the first round since we have the 2 second round picks for him.  Which gives you best player available at pick 6-7 and then get your QB late first.

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

We'll see. If this stuff was so easy Rogers wouldn't last to 24, Wilson in the 3rd round, Winston not going to Cleveland ect. I only care what they do in the NFL not where they get taken.

Rodgers - victim of groupthink for some reason everyone had Alex Smith rated higher that year

wilson - would have easily been a top 10 pick if he had prototypical size

Winston - Bucs had the #1 pick I think you mean to say Wentz.  I liked Wentz coming out but again groupthink everyone loved Goff that year for some reason and some of the people who think they know everything like Tony Pauline had even Lynch rated higher just because Wentz player at NDSU

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

If you go by Bill Parsells philosophy, I believe he checks all the boxes for a draft able QB.  https://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/4/4/11358586/how-accurate-are-the-bill-parcells-rules-for-drafting-quarterbacks

Another option with Rudolph could be trading back into the first round since we have the 2 second round picks for him.  Which gives you best player available at pick 6-7 and then get your QB late first.

Parcells’ big thing is qb’s staying all 4 years in college which i don’t think applies today and in some ways can even hurt a qb because so few programs are making their qbs play under center and do 3 and 5 step drops

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Similar to the Bengals in '11 by selecting AJ Green #4 overall and Andy "Dandy" Dalton #35 overall in the 2nd round

AND

Congruent to the Raiders in '14 who selected Khalil Mack#5 overall and Carr in the 2nd round as #36 overall. 

Archived