McCown Named Team MVP

Bleedin Green

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fully agreed.  McCown is a total class act and I respect the guy.  He'd played as well ass one could possibly expect (and certainly a lot better than I expected) and he actually seemed to really enjoy being a Jet.   I'd love for him to be either our backup QB next year (or maybe a starter for a couple of weeks until a rookie is ready) or some kind of a coach. 

Having said the above, he was likely a disaster for this franchise.  We should've bit the bullet and started Petty/Hack all season and picked either 1st or 2nd overall.  We could've easily gone 0-16 (including a loss to Cleveland) which would've set this franchise up well for the draft.  In any case, here we are yet again - out of the playoffs but not picking top 2-3.

This was the plan, despite what some morons think. McCown was brought in here as guaranteed starter remember. They needed a 3rd qb, and obviously wanted a vet with 2 very inexperienced qbs. Mac figured even if McCown won the job, jets were still not going to win more than 2-3 games. McCown never played this well before, and at 38 you wouldn’t expect he would come out lighting it up with very little to work with. Mac probably doesn’t sign McCown if he knew he would solely be the reason we will be picking 6-7, instead of 2-3. 

40 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Ah, Jets fans, cynical as ever. 

Of course Josh was voted team MVP by other players, that's not an indictment on anybody else, just an acknowledgement that he was a valuable teammate and presence on the field, which should be obvious.

Why are we considering this a bad thing?

Well said!

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fully agreed.  McCown is a total class act and I respect the guy.  He'd played as well ass one could possibly expect (and certainly a lot better than I expected) and he actually seemed to really enjoy being a Jet.   I'd love for him to be either our backup QB next year (or maybe a starter for a couple of weeks until a rookie is ready) or some kind of a coach. 

Having said the above, he was likely a disaster for this franchise.  We should've bit the bullet and started Petty/Hack all season and picked either 1st or 2nd overall.  We could've easily gone 0-16 (including a loss to Cleveland) which would've set this franchise up well for the draft.  In any case, here we are yet again - out of the playoffs but not picking top 2-3.

After what I saw in training camp and during the season, I can not imagine having started Petty, or Hackenberg.  As much as I would have liked Hackenberg, or Petty to have taken the bull by the horns and started from the beginning, it didn't happen.  I think over the past few games we've seen that Petty is not NFL material and likely never will be.  The jury is very much out on Hackenberg, but unless he really steps up in training camp next year we'll probably draw the same conclusion.  Starting McCown helped a young offense and defense which has some real NFL players actually develop.  I don't think we would have seen that outcome with either Petty, or Hackenberg at QB this year.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hear you. I was 5 and vaguely remember that game but didn't become a real Jets fans till a few years later. I think it was 72 when the Sunoco sticker albums came out and I was so obsessed with collecting all the Jets.

I think the Hess trucks had a little to do with as well since they were the same colors and i LOVED getting that truck each year.

Josh McCown's career year cost the Jets a chance at getting Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen

Manish Mehta
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 

Friday, January 5, 2018, 7:00 AM

There’s nothing worse than unwittingly getting screwed by the nicest of nice people, the coolest geezer and your leader. It’s the cruelest twist of fate for a star-crossed franchise still searching for their signal-calling Holy Grail.

The Jets won’t partake in the Sam Darnold-Josh Rosen hysteria in the coming months thanks to one man who didn’t get the tanking mission statement. Gang Green might miss out on their franchise quarterback for the next decade because of a quarterback who defied all the odds in the twilight of his career.

Josh McCown galvanized a wayward bunch with the power of positivity (and some damn good passes) during this critically important phase of the organization’s rebuild, but one lingering question remains: Was it worth it?

Did McCown’s career season cost the Jets a chance to finally cash in on their quarterback lottery ticket? Will the team’s five-win season that pushed them to the No. 6 draft position, irritatingly just out of reach for Darnold and Rosen, haunt them forever?

It’s fair to wonder if the Jets would have been better off if McCown didn’t play in 2017.

Josh McCown’s career year could cost the Jets.

Josh McCown’s career year could cost the Jets.

(AL BELLO/GETTY IMAGES)

A Bryce Petty-Christian Hackenberg combo platter would have almost certainly made the Suck for Sam and Frozen for Rosen truthers downright giddy. The Jets could have been the Browns or Giants, who hold the top two spots in the upcoming draft. Gang Green could have been in prime position to grab one of the quarterbacks from Southern California.

The Johnson brothers could have finally realized their quarterback wish too. I can envision Woody sprinting out of the Winfield House, pumping his fist and letting out primal scream at Regent’s Park at the thought of bringing in one of those signal-calling saviors. (Come on: That’s a pretty cool visual).

Darnold and Rosen have the tools to be difference makers at the next level. Nobody is a sure thing, but each guy has a potential for stardom. Each guy might make the Jets extremely annoyed for the foreseeable future.

McCown’s value and importance this season, however, shouldn’t be marginalized. His energy, positivity, selflessness and productivity at the age of 38 were something to behold. He impacted everyone in a good way, sharing wisdom with the two young quarterbacks and helping the brain trust better evaluate some young offensive pieces (especially Robby Anderson).

The Jets will likely miss out on taking Josh Rosen as a result of Josh McCown’s stellar season.

The Jets will likely miss out on taking Josh Rosen as a result of Josh McCown’s stellar season.

(KIRBY LEE/USA TODAY SPORTS)

McCown, who had career highs in passing yards (2,926) and touchdown passes (18), was the heartbeat of a undermanned, but competitive team. He helped disguise roster deficiencies with his elevated play. He certainly helped Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan stick around.

Although McCown played the best football of his life, the results weren’t good enough to be in the playoff conversation in the second half of the season. The McCown-led offense didn’t exactly strike fear in opponents. The Jets were tied for 23rd in total yards, 19th in passing yards, 20th in yards per play and 27th in first downs/game in McCown’s 13 starts.

A talent void was a contributing factor, of course, but those numbers don’t lie. The Jets had a below-average offense.

The prevailing sentiment on One Jets Drive was that McCown infused the organization with so many terrific elements that it was indeed worth it. He made a real difference at a time when the Jets needed difference makers on the field and in the locker room.

Josh McCown.

Josh McCown.

(AL BELLO/GETTY IMAGES)

“From an intangible standpoint, he was outstanding for our building (and) our locker room,” Maccagnan said this week. “I would say our experience with Josh has been extremely positive.”

McCown, whose season was cut short due to a broken hand, might return next year to play, mentor and/or bring some juice to a franchise entering the next phase of its rebuilding process. Make no mistake: He will be an asset in whatever role he’s asked to perform.

But it’s foolish to ignore that the Jets likely missed out on the next great star quarterback because of McCown’s presence. It’s painful to digest, but everyone knows it’s the truth. Was it worth it? 

Archived