Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan Receive Contract Extensions: MERGED

KRL

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statement from Chris Johnson:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Extend-Contracts-of-GM-Mike-Maccagnan-and-Head-Coach-Todd-Bowles/fc7ba7d5-5917-473c-86d0-3e73d31095e0?campaign=tw

“We are very happy to have extended both Mike and Todd. During their time here, they have worked together to help the organization build a foundation on which to grow,” Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said. “They are identifying, developing, and getting productivity out of our players. I believe we are headed in the right direction. This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success. We still have a lot of work to do and I am excited to work closely with both of them as we move forward.”

I honestly think it’s a good move, despite popular belief. This off-season is do or die for these guys hopefully it brings the best out of them and Jets can have a succeful 2018. Insane amount of salary cap space, top 10 draft pick, two 2nd round picks, and a few young pieces that played well this year looking to build on that next year. Let’s try and get behind our guys instead of trying to bring them down.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Extend-Contracts-of-GM-Mike-Maccagnan-and-Head-Coach-Todd-Bowles/fc7ba7d5-5917-473c-86d0-3e73d31095e0?campaign=tw

“We are very happy to have extended both Mike and Todd. During their time here, they have worked together to help the organization build a foundation on which to grow,” Jets CEO Christopher Johnson said. “They are identifying, developing, and getting productivity out of our players. I believe we are headed in the right direction. This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success. We still have a lot of work to do and I am excited to work closely with both of them as we move forward.”

I would agree. 

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

This year’s version of “This is our coach!”

In all seriousness this was to be expected, they will now have the time to put their
plan in place.  BUT this off-season is CRUCIAL, no more screwing around at the premium
positions (QB, OLB, CB) with 100 million in cap space and high draft picks there
are no excuses

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

"This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success. "

Continuity is the single most overrated, overused, unsubstantiated trope in professional sports.  Continuity is earned through sustained success. Continuity is a byproduct of success. It is not the caused by it.  Todd Bowles will be the same crappy in-game HC who doesn't understand situational football or how to make adjustments next season as he was this season.  No amount of "continuity" is going to change that fact.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Oof. Get ready for Mccown again. 

100%. You know it and Bowles will draft D with our top picks and Macc will be forced to settle for a late round nose-picker QB with a trademark confused look on his face. The extensions confirm their way is the right way.

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

"This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success. "

Continuity is the single most overrated, overused, unsubstantiated trope in professional sports.  Continuity is earned through sustained success. Continuity is a byproduct of success. It is not the caused by it.  Todd Bowles will be the same crappy in-game HC who doesn't understand situational football or how to make adjustments next season as he was this season.  No amount of "continuity" is going to change that fact.

Continuity helps in the fact that the same GM is building the team and building on top of the previous players he's drafted. And not starting over and finding the new HC  "his" guys. Ya know...like the Jets do so often. It takes a good GM to actually build something but that's what continuity does. 

Not even slightly surprising.  Despite the calls of many, it was pretty clear they weren't going to be fired this year, whether we all like it or not.  I don't think any of us really give a crap about the Jets losing money if they end up firing them before their contracts are up, so extensions did actually make sense from a business standpoint.

There's a very good chance that, without significant improvement, they'll never see the end of those deals.  If there does end up being a worthwhile improvement, better to have this taken care of now.

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

100%. You know it and Bowles will draft D with our top picks and Macc will be forced to settle for a late round nose-picker QB with a trademark confused look on his face. The extensions confirm their way is the right way.

A two year extension is basically a dead on indication there’s no plans in investing or grooming a young QB.

Archived