Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan Receive Contract Extensions: MERGED

KRL

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bugg said:

3 drafts, seasons of free agency already. SO NOW they'll figure it out? 

What's there to figure out? It's just them continuing to build on top of what we have, it's not difficult to see. 

This years draft they can either add the best pass rusher, or best corner or take the QB finally. Putting those pieces on top of what we have compliments every level. They can acquire the majority of our weakness in just this off season. 

With Bowles back I hope he coaches in the Senior Bowl.  It would be good
to have Morton and Bates down there coaching the QB's since we have to
make such a crucial decision.  Mayfield, Falk, Rudolph and Benkert are
going to be there

The biggest problem I have with all of this is that if they knew extensions were coming as someone stated earlier, why the hell are they playing McCown at all? If they knew that they were going to have a bad season and miss the playoffs, what’s the point of playing a 38 year old journeyman who is a known entity with a 2nd round pick that is buried so deep on the depth chart he’s worn sweatpants more than shoulder pads? It’s a farce and I’m not here for it. This team from the ownership on down is a travesty. Just pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The biggest problem I have with all of this is that if they knew extensions were coming as someone stated earlier, why the hell are they playing McCown at all? If they knew that they were going to have a bad season and miss the playoffs, what’s the point of playing a 38 year old journeyman who is a known entity with a 2nd round pick that is buried so deep on the depth chart he’s worn sweatpants more than shoulder pads? It’s a farce and I’m not here for it. This team from the ownership on down is a travesty. Just pathetic. 

Where is this theory about knowing extensions coming?

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

going to be there

Who gets invited to coach in the senior bowl? Does it rotate?

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

going to be there

Thanks for some light, it was getting cold and dark in here :)

Would love to see them double up on QB's this year 

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Indifferent about Bowles but happy I get to watch Macc continue his ascension to being one of the finer GMs in the league.

Hopefully Kacy Rogers gets a HC job somewhere. 

Exactly. Get Kacy out of here and we'll be in good shape.

From google -

National Football League coaching staffs coach the two Senior Bowl teams each year. The staffs are determined in cooperation with the NFL. The teams with the lowest winning percentage that season usually get the first opportunity to coach in the game, but only if a majority of their staff - and head coach - are intact.

7 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Who gets invited to coach in the senior bowl? Does it rotate?

It is usually offered to teams with poor records with some coaching stability.  Jets qualify on both counts.  Would be nice if we were to get the nod.

5 hours ago, y2k8 said:

My point was more about Bowles (who has more clearly demonstrated his incompetence) than Mac (who has not been great imo, but deserves a shot with a handpicked HC instead of the guy they assigned him).  But to your comment, there is no such thing as "starting over" in the NFL. There is no reset button.  You inherit rosters and contracts. The advantage of a new blood is that they can assess all the talent without the bias the previous braintrust will quite naturally apply to the players they personally selected and professional reputations are vested in. 

Bowles and Mac are 2 sides of the same coin. They compliment each other perfectly. Both are newbies to their respective role, both have displayed astonishingly poor judgement and both are content with trying to look good rather than, (in Mac’s case )  finding a QB to build around and develop a competent roster (in Bowles case), developing players, game strategy and the team’s overall mindset. Of course detailing these specific issues are lengthy but most of us here know them like the back of our hands. Bowles and Mac were hand picked by Casserly, and it’s frighteningly pathetic how they both each have equally bumbled their way through this fiasco. How Casserly advised Mr. Peanut to take these guys, despite either one of them having any experience as GM and HC, is mind boggling. Equally so, is that one has no input over the other in their respective roles so each feels no real accountability since, underneath it all, they don’t answer to a structured management. Damn near every team in the NFL has a hierarchy with powers descending - Ownership, President, GM, HC - and within that model, each has specific power and responsibility to produce and answer to. This is the conundrum with this organization, neither Mac or Bowles knows what they’re doing and have no power over each other or answer to each other. It’s like they’re the 3 Blind Mice. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Bowles and Mac are 2 sides of the same coin. They compliment each other perfectly. Both are newbies to their respective role, both have displayed astonishingly poor judgement and both are content with trying to look good rather than, in Mac’s case )  finding a QB to build around and develop a competent roster (in Bowles case), developing players, game strategy and the team’s overall mindset. Of course detailing these specific issues are lengthy but most of us here know them like the back of our hands. Bowles and Mac were hand picked by Casserly, and it’s frighteningly pathetic how they both each have equally bumbled their way through this fiasco. How Casserly advised Mr. Peanut to take these guys, despite either one of them having any experience as GM and HC, is mind boggling. Equally so, is that one has no input over the other in their respective roles so each feels no real accountability since, underneath it all, they don’t answer to a structured management. Damn near every team in the NFL has a hierarchy with powers descending - Ownership, President, GM, HC - and within that model, each has specific power and responsibility to produce and answer to. This is the conundrum with this organization, neither Mac or Bowles knows what they’re doing and have no power over each other or answer to each other. It’s like they’re the 3 Blind Mice. 

Exactly and dumb owners like to surround themselves with people who are actually dumber than they are. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What is the possible justification for extensions for BOTH after this season?  

Well, Todd, we think you did well to get 5 wins out of this crappy roster Mike gave you 3 years into your tenure.

Mike, we think you deserve a 3rd shot at drafting a QB that wouldn't get cut by a CFL roster.  We think those first 2 guys were a lot of bad luck.  The other 31 GM's who passed on them wouldn't have been able to do much with them either.  We're also not concerned about a lack of a pass rush and lack of elite players on the roster.  Not many teams have those either.  Like that one team.  We're in better shape than that one team.  

2 more years for the both of you.  Now get back out there and keep doing exactly what you're doing.  

Only this man could have said the lines you have written properly and here he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_mmhaylvmVE1rwkhhno1_500.gif

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My neighbor big Jets fan season ticket holder just calls me and says we quit on Pete Carroll too soon so hoping we did the right thing with Todd Bowles. 

No ... Bowles needs to be fired by a couple teams first so he can be like the new Pete Carroll. 

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They have had 3 years and two top 10 picks to figure out how to get a QB. They havent even tried outside of weak hedges in the second and fourth round. 

They will NEVER get the third year and not even the second unless we markedly improve. Whiich is why we will pass on QB completely in RD1 and sign another FA, likely overspend again on corner help, and find the oldest slowest JAG RB we can add to the team.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You as GM >>> Mike Maccagnan as GM.  

We should fire Macc and give you a 3-year contract.  

So you would hire a GM that would spend 20 million each for the 5 starting  olinemen?  Interesting!

6 minutes ago, Joejet said:

So you would hire a GM that would spend 20 million each for the 5 starting  olinemen?  Interesting!

Pretty sure he didn't mean $20M per season.  Elite guard play can be had for $6-7M per over a 4-year deal (about $24-28M total).  

Spending big on the offensive line isn't a terrible idea.  With all of the spread offenses in college, it's difficult to determine which top college linemen can translate their play to the pros.  Thus, sometimes its better to buy established NFL talent rather than try to develop your own.  

Jets players pleased with stability that Todd Bowles' extension brings

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F1229%2F

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The words "stability" and "consistency" reverberated around the New York Jets' locker room Friday.

Asked their reaction to the Jets extending the contracts of coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, players didn't stray too far -- if at all -- from using those two words.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0919%2Fr261125_1

Todd Bowles is 20-27 and about to wrap up his third season with the Jets, but players like the direction in which he's taking the team. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

"I don't think there's nobody in this locker room that doesn't believe in Coach Bowles," defensive lineman Leonard Williams said. "I'm really excited that we have him. I've been talking for a while, 'Keep him. Keep him. Keep him. Keep him.'"

"Like I've been saying, it's all about stability. He knows where we're going, and he's going to take us there."

The Jets (5-10) finish their season Sunday at the New England Patriots (12-3), who can wrap up the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs with a win.

New England, looking to claim its 10th straight AFC title, has epitomized stability and consistency. That has not been lost on Jets ownership. Acting owner Christopher Johnson said continuity and stability were two of the key reasons the franchise decided on the extensions.

"When you've got a coach that keeps it black and white -- he's not B.S., he's not shooting smoke up your behind -- that's great as a player because you know exactly what you're going to get," tackle Kelvin Beachum said. "Coach Bowles has been consistent.

"That word tends to resonate with him because he's consistent. When you have somebody like that, it makes your job easy. You know what's expected of you and you go out and execute, and when you're not executing to his level or what he desires, he's going to tell you."

Bowles is 20-27 in three seasons. He got off to a 10-6 start, but the Jets went 5-11 in his second season and will repeat that record with a loss to New England.

Linebacker Demario Davis explained one of the reasons Bowles is trusted by the players.

"The game is changing every week." Davis said. "You're going to get something different with different teams, so you want something constant. You want your leader to be the same and not wondering what type of response you're going to get from him. That's what we get from Coach Bowles. He's consistent."

1 hour ago, BigO said:

Bowles and Mac are 2 sides of the same coin. They compliment each other perfectly. Both are newbies to their respective role, both have displayed astonishingly poor judgement and both are content with trying to look good rather than, (in Mac’s case )  finding a QB to build around and develop a competent roster (in Bowles case), developing players, game strategy and the team’s overall mindset. Of course detailing these specific issues are lengthy but most of us here know them like the back of our hands. Bowles and Mac were hand picked by Casserly, and it’s frighteningly pathetic how they both each have equally bumbled their way through this fiasco. How Casserly advised Mr. Peanut to take these guys, despite either one of them having any experience as GM and HC, is mind boggling. Equally so, is that one has no input over the other in their respective roles so each feels no real accountability since, underneath it all, they don’t answer to a structured management. Damn near every team in the NFL has a hierarchy with powers descending - Ownership, President, GM, HC - and within that model, each has specific power and responsibility to produce and answer to. This is the conundrum with this organization, neither Mac or Bowles knows what they’re doing and have no power over each other or answer to each other. It’s like they’re the 3 Blind Mice. 

So the only real agenda is job preservation. 

25 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets players pleased with stability that Todd Bowles' extension brings

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F1229%2F

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The words "stability" and "consistency" reverberated around the New York Jets' locker room Friday.

Asked their reaction to the Jets extending the contracts of coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, players didn't stray too far -- if at all -- from using those two words.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0919%2Fr261125_1

Todd Bowles is 20-27 and about to wrap up his third season with the Jets, but players like the direction in which he's taking the team. Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

"I don't think there's nobody in this locker room that doesn't believe in Coach Bowles," defensive lineman Leonard Williams said. "I'm really excited that we have him. I've been talking for a while, 'Keep him. Keep him. Keep him. Keep him.'"

"Like I've been saying, it's all about stability. He knows where we're going, and he's going to take us there."

The Jets (5-10) finish their season Sunday at the New England Patriots (12-3), who can wrap up the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs with a win.

New England, looking to claim its 10th straight AFC title, has epitomized stability and consistency. That has not been lost on Jets ownership. Acting owner Christopher Johnson said continuity and stability were two of the key reasons the franchise decided on the extensions.

"When you've got a coach that keeps it black and white -- he's not B.S., he's not shooting smoke up your behind -- that's great as a player because you know exactly what you're going to get," tackle Kelvin Beachum said. "Coach Bowles has been consistent.

"That word tends to resonate with him because he's consistent. When you have somebody like that, it makes your job easy. You know what's expected of you and you go out and execute, and when you're not executing to his level or what he desires, he's going to tell you."

Bowles is 20-27 in three seasons. He got off to a 10-6 start, but the Jets went 5-11 in his second season and will repeat that record with a loss to New England.

Linebacker Demario Davis explained one of the reasons Bowles is trusted by the players.

"The game is changing every week." Davis said. "You're going to get something different with different teams, so you want something constant. You want your leader to be the same and not wondering what type of response you're going to get from him. That's what we get from Coach Bowles. He's consistent."

What would expect players to say anyway other than this bland nothingness.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like that this duo is being treated as if this is year one of their reign.

I am also amused by the many 'this is a good move, now go get a QB!' comments since the gm has been so good at getting QBs and the coach has been so willing to develop them.

what is that like a do-over or something?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure if you agree or disagree with me here.  If you disagree, please provide me with reasons why either deserved extensions.  

While I disagree I thought that your post was hilarious and quite witty!!

You point out the utter stupidity of rewarding folks for consistency sake alone and it was well done!

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

My understanding is the Todd Bowles contract talks began at least a week ago. The Jets were motivated to get it done before Monday because they knew other teams (Cards and Bucs) would've been interested. (As it turned out, the Bucs reportedly have decided to keep Dirk Koetter.) While Bowles wouldn't have been a free agent, his negotiating position would've been strengthened knowing there was back-channel interest from other teams. The Bowles/Cards speculation had been circulating for months. The Jets opted to be proactive.

:jawdrop:

36 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

My understanding is the Todd Bowles contract talks began at least a week ago. The Jets were motivated to get it done before Monday because they knew other teams (Cards and Bucs) would've been interested. (As it turned out, the Bucs reportedly have decided to keep Dirk Koetter.) While Bowles wouldn't have been a free agent, his negotiating position would've been strengthened knowing there was back-channel interest from other teams. The Bowles/Cards speculation had been circulating for months. The Jets opted to be proactive.

:jawdrop:

No Dick (Rich Cimini) the real story is our moron owners don't know a damn thing about football and winning its all about the profits for them and win or lose the Johnson family is profiting from owning the NY Jets. 

Archived