Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan Receive Contract Extensions: MERGED

KRL

Just now, SMC said:

Exactly.  Cousins is going money fishing. He'd sign with the Browns if they offered him the most money.  That's not the issue.

This was expected, but as I've said before, the ability to pre-evaluate QBs is MacBowles biggest issue.  They took Petty and Hack while passing on Watson.  They signed 2 journeymen who had career years that saved some face and kept them from having the QB position be an unmitigated disaster. They're now choosing a new QB.  Can they be trusted?

I agree. 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnson & Johnson should NOT open up the checkbook this year. This should be another prove-it year for Maccagnan and Bowles, and they should only be allowed to build this team through the draft.

This serves two purposes:

1) It allows the Johnson's to compare the "growth" of this team on an apples-to-apples basis. I want to see if Bowles can actually win 9 games without overpaying for free agents who won't be here in 3 years (think Fitzpatrick, Decker, Marshall, Forte, etc). Anyone moron can win 9 games by blowing their load on Kirk Cousins.

2) It makes our coaching situation that much more enticing for the next head coach/GM (cap room, young talent).

Just now, Jack Straw said:

Johnson & Johnson should NOT open up the checkbook this year. This should be another prove-it year for Maccagnan and Bowles, and they should only be allowed to build this team through the draft.

This serves two purposes:

1) It allows the Johnson's to compare the "growth" of this team on an apples-to-apples basis. I want to see if Bowles can actually win 9 games without overpaying for free agents who won't be here in 3 years (think Fitzpatrick, Decker, Marshall, Forte, etc). Anyone moron can win 9 games by blowing their load on Kirk Cousins.

2) It makes our coaching situation that much more enticing for the next head coach/GM (cap room, young talent).

Dont they have to spend via league rules?

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A two year extension is basically a dead on indication there’s no plans in investing or grooming a young QB.

Bingo! That’s what’s excruciating about this. They will continue to peddle out has been vets like McClown as the ‘foundation’ to build around and spew all this ? about how he’s a mentor, heart and soul yap yap yap, instead of taking the bull by the horns and acquiring a legit prospect by any means possible just to save their fat stupid azzes and look like their ‘progressing’. Unless they get a QB in this draft, this team can kiss my azz.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dont they have to spend via league rules?

The Jets must spend 89% of their cap over a four year period, but the rule does not apply to a single season. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the Jets spend less than 89% in 2018, or if they spend less than 89% in 2019. By the end of the 2021 season, though, the cumulative spending from 2018-2021 must be at least 89%

31 minutes ago, SMC said:

Exactly.  Cousins is going money fishing. He'd sign with the Browns if they offered him the most money.  That's not the issue.

This was expected, but as I've said before, the ability to pre-evaluate QBs is MacBowles biggest issue.  They took Petty and Hack while passing on Watson.  They signed 2 journeymen who had career years that saved some face and kept them from having the QB position be an unmitigated disaster. They're now choosing a new QB.  Can they be trusted?

Serious question:

Why is this necessarily a bad thing? The Jets arent even committed to either anymore, which is well executed.

Honestly I’d fire them on Watson alone buuuuut after that I don’t have much issue with what the Jets have done at QB under these guys. In fact I see positives on the QB front, particularly that the Jets have gotten good performances at all out of the position more often than not out of one of these three year burn and turns.

49 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I honestly think it’s a good move, despite popular belief. This off-season is do or die for these guys hopefully it brings the best out of them and Jets can have a succeful 2018. Insane amount of salary cap space, top 10 draft pick, two 2nd round picks, and a few young pieces that played well this year looking to build on that next year. Let’s try and get behind our guys instead of trying to bring them down.

Lets not put on blinders or even rose colored glasses on. These guys have made real mistakes and by some accounts they indicate that they have not, and are perhaps incapable of learning from them.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Serious question:

Why is this necessarily a bad thing? The Jets arent even committed to either anymore, which is well executed.

Honestly I’d fire them on Watson alone buuuuut after that I don’t have much issue with what the Jets have done at QB under these guys. 

I will wait a year or two to see if he recovers from his injury mentally and physically and if he repeats his performance.

45 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

hope JW12 survives this :D

Never expect anything good from the NY Jets and never be disappointed.  

I am a lifelong diehard fan of this team I root for them to win every game. 

As a former season ticket holder I will not buy PSL's as long as the HC of this team continues his buffoonery actions as a head coach. 

I wish Todd Bowles the best of luck and success as the HC coach of my team. 

I wish Mike Maccagnan the best of luck as GM and hopefully in year 4 as GM he finds is a decent franchise level QB. 

Woody Johnson and Chris Johnson are too busy with other stuff to really put the time and effort required to build a winning franchise. 

I will tell you this with the grace of God I  will still be here rooting for the Jets to win long after Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are gone. 

These guys are being given the time like many say they need to build a winner here......LETS DO IT 

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets must spend 89% of their cap over a four year period, but the rule does not apply to a single season. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the Jets spend less than 89% in 2018, or if they spend less than 89% in 2019. By the end of the 2021 season, though, the cumulative spending from 2018-2021 must be at least 89%

And we haven’t spent anything and our cumulative spend the past two seasons have been well below the minimum.

31 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Continuity helps in the fact that the same GM is building the team and building on top of the previous players he's drafted. And not starting over and finding the new HC  "his" guys. Ya know...like the Jets do so often. It takes a good GM to actually build something but that's what continuity does. 

My point was more about Bowles (who has more clearly demonstrated his incompetence) than Mac (who has not been great imo, but deserves a shot with a handpicked HC instead of the guy they assigned him).  But to your comment, there is no such thing as "starting over" in the NFL. There is no reset button.  You inherit rosters and contracts. The advantage of a new blood is that they can assess all the talent without the bias the previous braintrust will quite naturally apply to the players they personally selected and professional reputations are vested in. 

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Least surprising news possible.

We all knew this was coming.  Or should have known.

Agreed. The only glimmer of "hope" for the anti-bowles crew was that Obrien could be fired and Macc's relationship with him. But you could tell by the way Bowles was laughing it up as his press conference a couple of weeks ago that he already knew he was safe. A man on the verge of losing his job, can't fake that kind of giddiness. 

Old news, deal done in sept, announced in Dec.

The best thing about this news is that it keeps the OC here for at least another year. While I was an open critic of him prior to the season I think he has done a pretty good job making shinola from sheet. He is doing a pretty good job developing the young guys who can actually play....and the bums that cant play well....didnt play much. 

They essentially have no choice and have painted themselves into a corner now because you cant have 5 years with a temporary QB on your team as a GM. That is a stamp for your ticket to the unemployment line, somebody has to be "your guy". Unless they still think Hack is that guy and the extension was a vote of confidence from ownership and an undercover threat. Either your guy makes it or you all go and the todd, mac and hack show is over. 

This team got identical extensions so that if they win there is no issue and we keep the team together, if they fail we can clean house and bring in a president of ops and he can do his own thing. 

12 minutes ago, BigO said:

Bingo! That’s what’s excruciating about this. They will continue to peddle out has been vets like McClown as the ‘foundation’ to build around and spew all this ? about how he’s a mentor, heart and soul yap yap yap, instead of taking the bull by the horns and acquiring a legit prospect by any means possible just to save their fat stupid azzes and look like their ‘progressing’. Unless they get a QB in this draft, this team can kiss my azz.

They’re going to try and get Cousins which won’t happen. It will be either Mccown or another veteran. I don’t see Bowles allowing a top 10 pick to be spent on a QB, considering he’s already had two chances in the top 6 and has passed.

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is good news, they both deserve to be back. Macc has done a good job getting young players in here. He deserves the chance to show that he can get a QB to take this franchise forward.

Bowles has done a good job holding players accountable and changing the locker room.

They both need to keep getting better. But turning coaches over every three years isn't the answer. I am happy they are both back, this offseason is so important, now they can hit the ground running with minimal coaching staff changes. 

The assistants they added last year are good, hopefully they don't lose anyone.

Can't really agree with anything other than the new assistants are an improvement. Extending Bowles is an exercise in circular logic and unrealistically low expectations.  We will be the same team next year, mediocre on defense, McClown or some new JAG at QB and I think it is very unlikely we pick a QB in the first round since Bowles and Mac will be in win to keep my job mode. Bad move by the Jets. Once again a move to pursue mediocrity. The Jets organization is afraid to fail, which is also afraid to achieve greatness.  We will just be rebuilding again in 3 years with a new regime as Mac and Bowles waste our cap space pursuing a one year all or nothing playoff run that will crash and burn. Get ready for CB in RD1 with at least one of the major QB prospects sitting there. Cousins would be a disaster. Our only vet QB hail mary is if SF somehow does not exclusive franchise Garappolo thinking they can match any contract, but we could create one they cant.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Can't really agree with anything other than the new assistants are an improvement. Extending Bowles is an exercise in circular logic and unrealistically low expectations.  We will be the same team next year, mediocre on defense, McClown or some new JAG at QB and I think it is very unlikely we pick a QB in the first round since Bowles and Mac will be in win to keep my job mode. Bad move by the Jets. Once again a move to pursue mediocrity. The Jets organization is afraid to fail, which is also afraid to achieve greatness.  We will just be rebuilding again in 3 years with a new regime as Mac and Bowles waste our cap space pursuing a one year all or nothing playoff run that will crash and burn. Get ready for CB in RD1 with at least one of the major QB prospects sitting there. Cousins would be a disaster. Our only vet QB hail mary is if SF somehow does not exclusive franchise Garappolo thinking they can match any contract, but we could create one they cant.

Why?

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Very good decision.  Both of them have showed me enough that they can take us to the next level.

They still have work to do - and have to learn, but I would prefer this to continued turnover.

What continuous turnover are you talking about? We've had 4 coaches and 4 gms including bowles and mac since 2001. 

Not to mention Bradway and jeff sauer's glorious tenures here. 

If anything the Jets show a chronic pattern of hiring inexperienced coaches that get peter principled into a job and then stick on way too long. 

Archived