Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan Receive Contract Extensions: MERGED

KRL

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I’ll assume you apply the same logic to different races and religions too.  Spare me the diatribe about how it’s different with “football fans.”  That was an aggressively stupid comment.  We are done here.

Bye Felicia

And I should report that for insinuating that I'm a racist.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dinamite said:

it is only 2 years.   avoids the lame duck situation.   if it is a bad year next year, they are fired.

There is zero issue with putting the GM and HC into lame duck situations.  Make them earn their extensions.  This isn't college football.  Our GM and HC aren't going into parents' homes and explaining to kids why they'll be there for their kid 4 years later.  We have one of the worst rosters in the NFL and just handed Macc a reward for a 5-10 season.  

What is the possible justification for extensions for BOTH after this season?  

Well, Todd, we think you did well to get 5 wins out of this crappy roster Mike gave you 3 years into your tenure.

Mike, we think you deserve a 3rd shot at drafting a QB that wouldn't get cut by a CFL roster.  We think those first 2 guys were a lot of bad luck.  The other 31 GM's who passed on them wouldn't have been able to do much with them either.  We're also not concerned about a lack of a pass rush and lack of elite players on the roster.  Not many teams have those either.  Like that one team.  We're in better shape than that one team.  

2 more years for the both of you.  Now get back out there and keep doing exactly what you're doing.  

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is good news, they both deserve to be back. Macc has done a good job getting young players in here. He deserves the chance to show that he can get a QB to take this franchise forward.

At non-premium positions.....

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is good news, they both deserve to be back. Macc has done a good job getting young players in here. He deserves the chance to show that he can get a QB to take this franchise forward.

See above.  No he doesn't.  If anything, he's proven that that decision needs to be out of his hands completely.  

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You really think a guy like Cousins will give the tiniest flake of sh*t about anything but the highest bidder?  Do you honestly think he even has a clue about anything going on with the Jets (or more specifically, the Jets' fans)?

I totally get the dislike some have for this decision, but the soap opera drama some fabricate in their heads about this stuff is really quite comical.

Cousins is going to get a ton of money no matter where he goes.  Nearly every QB-needy team can re-configure cap space to make a competitive offer.

If the money is about the same, things like organizational competence DO matter.  It's the same reason Peyton Manning laughed in our faces when we went after him.  He took LESS than we would have given him to play in Denver.  

This is ESPECIALLY true for a guy like Cousins.  Do you think that the Redskins being owned by that clown Dan Snyder has NOTHING to do with the reason he'd walk away from them?  Why would he go anywhere other than a quality organization after experiencing that mess of a franchise for the last 5 years?

Well I can't honestly say I'm surprised or upset. I knew this was coming. No way any FA worth anything would come to a team with a lame duck HC and/or GM. This draft, FA period, and upcoming season are Maccholes and Bowles litmus test. Lets hope they pass it or this franchise will be right back where it started 3yrs ago.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They’re going to try and get Cousins which won’t happen. It will be either Mccown or another veteran. I don’t see Bowles allowing a top 10 pick to be spent on a QB, considering he’s already had two chances in the top 6 and has passed.

Get ready for Sam Bradford, Christian Hackenberg, and a late round QB as our trio next season.  

2 hours ago, UnTypicalJET said:

Actually his contract expired next year which means these two years puts him too 3years equating to 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That’s fine. He still can get fired tho. I don’t care if his contact was for 100 years. He does a bad job next year with a top 8 pick, 100 Million in cap space, the possibility of drafting a QB then he will be fired. It’s that simple. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Say they dont draft a QB and they dont sign Cousins. Josh Mccown is Week 1 starter- thoughts if that happens?

I mean I don't really think that is a scenario that happens. I'll take up my pitchfork then but I'd have to imagine he either signs Cousins and then goes BPA in the draft, signs a young QB that has upside (Bortles/McCarron/Bridgewater/Keenum) and goes best QB available in the first, he could sign McCown and then trade up in the first for a QB, he could not sign McCown and trade up for a QB, or he could sit tight and draft a QB at our 1st pick. I'd be okay with any of those situations really, the only situation I'd be upset with that I can think of is the one that you described.

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

What continuous turnover are you talking about? We've had 4 coaches and 4 gms including bowles and mac since 2001. 

Not to mention Bradway and jeff sauer's glorious tenures here. 

If anything the Jets show a chronic pattern of hiring inexperienced coaches that get peter principled into a job and then stick on way too long. 

A new GM and new HC every 4 years is the definition of continuous turnover.  

34 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rosen, also, our pick should be Baker Mayfield, I'd put him in, and let him learn take his lumps. I'd  also Spend that $100 mill on Oline and help for him. 

Fook the D.

This is exactly right. 

The defense has enough to be competitive and keep the team in games.

Give me Mayfield in the 1st...Then...

Take the $100mm and buy the best O-line you can (even if you overpay) get yourself the best RB you can with the first pick in the 2nd..Draft the best receiver you can with the second pick in the 2nd round.  Give me that and then go ahead and draft defense if you have to - but not until the o-line is solidified, you have a legitimate starting RB and another receiver that can do damage.

Jets extend Bowles and Maccagnan: “this is good.”

Jets give $12 million to Josh McCown: “this is also good”

Jets draft a cornerback in the first round: “this, too, is good.”

Jets draft a defensive end and a guard in the second round: “This is how you do it.”

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

"This provides us continuity and stability as we continue to move this team towards sustained success. "

Continuity is the single most overrated, overused, unsubstantiated trope in professional sports.  Continuity is earned through sustained success. Continuity is a byproduct of success. It is not the caused by it.  Todd Bowles will be the same crappy in-game HC who doesn't understand situational football or how to make adjustments next season as he was this season.  No amount of "continuity" is going to change that fact.

It's continuity because ownership doesn't have a plan. It's 2 spoiled rich kids, neither who has ever had to work a day in their lives,  who have no idea what they're doing. Really, what would they do, anyway-call Bill Polian, or Charley Caserly or another search firm? They have no idea beyond it's cool to own an NFL team. 

In 18 years of ownership the Jets have hosted all of 1 playoff game. They won't be hosting one this year nor next either. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Very good decision.  Both of them have showed me enough that they can take us to the next level.

They still have work to do - and have to learn, but I would prefer this to continued turnover.

Specific evidence of this is....?

3 hours ago, Dinamite said:

it is only 2 years.   avoids the lame duck situation.   if it is a bad year next year, they are fired.

This is the problem. If you bring in new guys now then they actually have time to get it done. 

If they get fired next year then we wasted a top 10 pick 100 million in cap just to extend guys that were simply on borrowed time. If you go through with this then you cannot fire them...or atleast fire them and have it make sense a year from now.

This is the issue when you have two rebuilds in 3 years by the same regime. People wont forget that this is the 2nd in 3 years

3 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Get a clue silver Spoon Johnson.... Drafted a worthless QB with a wasted 2nd round pick.  Will end up drafting a Def player in the first round this year.  Still can't score on a consistent basis and is one of the worst time managers in the NFL.  Good luck selling tickets!  

How do they begin to sell this? 

Todd Bowles, after getting contract extension: 'I'll come back fighting'

Updated Posted 
Todd Bowles will be back with the Jets next season. (AP Photo | Ben Margot)
Todd Bowles will be back with the Jets next season. (AP Photo | Ben Margot)

2shares

By Darryl Slater

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

After receiving a contract extension Friday, Jets coach Todd Bowles vowed he'd come back battling in 2018, even as fans question whether the Jets should have retained him. 

The Jets are 5-10 entering Sunday's season finale at the Patriots (who are 15.5-point favorites), after going 5-11 last year and 10-6 in Bowles' first season, 2015. 

Bowles offered a blunt assessment of his three seasons as the Jets' head coach, as the organization's playoff drought has stretched to seven years, since 2010. 

"For me, it's been hard," he said. "Obviously, I'm hard on myself. But I'm supposed to be. I'm always hard on myself. So I'll take a long, hard look at myself next year and I'll come back fighting." 

So what would Bowles say to fans who don't think he should be back after what is likely to be a second straight five-win season? 

"There's nothing for me to say," he said. "Just trying to win and get to the playoffs, and hopefully they'll be happy. That's all I can go by." 

The time has come for Bowles to make a playoff push with the Jets in 2018, or else he could find himself out of a job, despite Friday's extension. He knows that's what he is fighting for. 

Bowles said his job status was never hanging over his head, and he expressed optimism about the rebuilding Jets' future. 

"It wasn't hanging before [this contract extension]," he said. "For me, it's just business as usual. All you can do as a coach is coach, and control the things you can control.

"We have a plan that we're going forward with, and everybody is on the same page. We have a plan going in the right direction." 

The final year of Bowles' contract was scheduled to be 2018. He got a two-year extension (as did general manager Mike Maccagnan), so now both of their contracts run through 2020.  

"We'll get better," Bowles said of the Jets in 2018. "We'll add some pieces. Obviously, the future is trying to win the Super Bowl and get to the playoffs. We made some strides this year. Not enough strides. But going forward, we'll make the proper adjustments and go from there

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Can't really agree with anything other than the new assistants are an improvement. Extending Bowles is an exercise in circular logic and unrealistically low expectations.  We will be the same team next year, mediocre on defense, McClown or some new JAG at QB and I think it is very unlikely we pick a QB in the first round since Bowles and Mac will be in win to keep my job mode. Bad move by the Jets. Once again a move to pursue mediocrity. The Jets organization is afraid to fail, which is also afraid to achieve greatness.  We will just be rebuilding again in 3 years with a new regime as Mac and Bowles waste our cap space pursuing a one year all or nothing playoff run that will crash and burn. Get ready for CB in RD1 with at least one of the major QB prospects sitting there. Cousins would be a disaster. Our only vet QB hail mary is if SF somehow does not exclusive franchise Garappolo thinking they can match any contract, but we could create one they cant.

Cousins = Neil O'Donnell

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Specific evidence of this is....?

Evidence? This isn't a court of law.  

I see a team that got caught in an unusual set of circumstances - in that the rebuild started two years too late by mostly no fault of the GM - it wasn't supposed to but they went on and won 10 games in year one - when they weren't expected to - and the next year they had to again put the rebuild on hold. This dumb idea of a Competitive Rebuild is what set them back.  

What I saw this year - was a GM that cleaned house of all the dead wood - went with a youth movement - and a coach that had those young guys playing with passion and being competitive week-in and week-out.

I would like to see what Bowles can do with a legitimate NFL roster - and what the GM can do when he's not hamstrung with a previous regimes garbage.

Archived