Hypothetical on Bowles

Jetsplayer21

Cardinals sounds like they definately would have grabbed Bowles if he was fired.  Also putting in the bluff they wouldn’t  be interested if giving up any draft picks for him. That is bs, but obviously negotiations are a poker game. I think they would have offered a mid round draft pick for him if we had no extended him. Let’s say they don’t like any other candidates, and still try to get him. Offer a 2nd rounder. Would jets really say no ??

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hahahaha.  This is gone beyond ridiculous.  No one is trading for a coach who cant win more than 5 games a year.

Lol dude there are terrible franchises out there who just want a yes Man. Herm Edwards was just as bad and what did the chiefs give jets to bring their yes Man back? Ha

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so now that the Jets extended his contract the Cardinals will have no choice but to pay a 2nd round pick for him, maybe Mike Maccagnan is a genius after all. 

Lol it’s a long shot but.. ? If we hadn’t extended Bowles, cardinals would have said to jets “ you obviously don’t love him like we do since you didn’t extend him, here is a 5th rounder ha. “ Now cardinals don’t have to worry about extension negotiations jets did the leg work, so that is worth more ha  

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol it’s a long shot but.. ? If we hadn’t extended Bowles, cardinals would have said to jets “ you obviously don’t love him like we do, here is a 5th rounder ha. Now cardinals don’t have to worry about extension negotiations jets did the leg work, so that is worth more ha  

Keep the faith..remember anything can happen and usually does to the NY Jets. 

13 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol dude there are terrible franchises out there who just want a yes Man. Herm Edwards was just as bad and what did the chiefs give jets to bring their yes Man back? Ha

Herm Edwards made our franchise better, he made the playoffs 3 of 5 years(including the ONLY AFC East title that Brady didn't win in his career) and it took total disaster to have a Bowels like season in 2005 where we had no OL, Curtis got hurt, Mawae got hurt, our top 2 QBs got hurt and we finishes the season w/ a 4th string QB yet we still won 4 games.  Please don't ever put Herm and Bowles in the same sentence.

No one is trading for Bowles, maybe AZ would have been dumb enough to hire him if we let him go, there's no team dumb enough to trade for him.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Herm Edwards made our franchise better, he made the playoffs 3 of 5 years(including the ONLY AFC East title that Brady didn't win in his career) and it took total disaster to have a Bowels like season in 2005 where we had no OL, Curtis got hurt, Mawae got hurt, our top 2 QBs got hurt and we finishes the season w/ a 4th string QB yet we still won 4 games.  Please don't ever put Herm and Bowles in the same sentence.

No one is trading for Bowles, maybe AZ would have been dumb enough to hire him if we let him go, there's no team dumb enough to trade for him.

Lol herm edwards was a terrible HC!? why he didn’t last long in nfl. Herm was just lucky enough to take over Parcells amazing re-build. Nobody else would have traded for herm Edwards either, but the chiefs owner knew him well and wanted him back. Same scenario with cardinals/Bowles.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol herm edwards was a terrible HC!? why he didn’t last long in nfl. Herm was just lucky enough to take over Parcells amazing re-build. Nobody else would have traded for herm Edwards either, but the chiefs owner knew him well and wanted him back. Same scenario with cardinals/Bowles.

Parcells' amazing rebuild?  are you serious?  we made the 19989 title game w/ mostly holdovers from previous regimes.  Parcells made the playoffs ONE time in 3 years, Groh then took over and MISSED again.  w/ virtually the same team in 2001 as 2000 Herm MADE the playoffs then b/c Parcells left us in cap hell we had to gut the team after 2001 and w/ basically an entire new defense we WON only our 2nd ever AFC East title in 2002 which is the ONLY non Brady AFC East title in his career.  Chad got hurt in 2003 and we dipped but were right back to the playoffs in 2004 nd a missed kick from the title game.

Parcells was an amazing Head Coach, he did a terrible job as a GM type especially w/ the draft.

By the way, KC had made the playoffs one time in the previous 8 years and they made it year 1 w/ Herm.  They paid for personnel mistakes of the past and struggles the next 2 years but he did get them to the playoffs.  So Herm made the playoffs 4 times in 8 seasons as a HC, 50% which would far and away be our best percentage(and he made it 60% of the time for us).

Az may want Bowles but how could they trade for him? Herm made the playoffs 3 in 5 years here, there was something to sell their fanbase.  There would be nothing to sell AZ's fanbase other than saying "they won 5 when they were supposed to win 3 in 2017!"

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Parcells' amazing rebuild?  are you serious?  we made the 19989 title game w/ mostly holdovers from previous regimes.  Parcells made the playoffs ONE time in 3 years, Groh then took over and MISSED again.  w/ virtually the same team in 2001 as 2000 Herm MADE the playoffs then b/c Parcells left us in cap hell we had to gut the team after 2001 and w/ basically an entire new defense we WON only our 2nd ever AFC East title in 2002 which is the ONLY non Brady AFC East title in his career.  Chad got hurt in 2003 and we dipped but were right back to the playoffs in 2004 nd a missed kick from the title game.

Parcells was an amazing Head Coach, he did a terrible job as a GM type especially w/ the draft.

By the way, KC had made the playoffs one time in the previous 8 years and they made it year 1 w/ Herm.  They paid for personnel mistakes of the past and struggles the next 2 years but he did get them to the playoffs.  So Herm made the playoffs 4 times in 8 seasons as a HC, 50% which would far and away be our best percentage(and he made it 60% of the time for us).

Az may want Bowles but how could they trade for him? Herm made the playoffs 3 in 5 years here, there was something to sell their fanbase.  There would be nothing to sell AZ's fanbase other than saying "they won 5 when they were supposed to win 3 in 2017!"

Bro are you smoking crack ???? yes Parcells turned this entire franchise from a joke to a Super Bowl contender in 2 years ! We were 1-15 the yr before Parcells took over! His first yr we were 9-7, his 2nd 12-4 and we just missed making it to the Super Bowl with a weak arm qb.. dam man that is the best turn around in the history of sports ! Lol 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bro are you smoking crack ???? yes Parcells turned this entire franchise from a joke to a Super Bowl contender in 2 years ! We were 1-15 the yr before Parcells took over! His first yr we were 9-7, his 2nd 12-4 and we just missed making it to the Super Bowl with a weak arm qb.. dam man that is the best turn around in the history of sports ! Lol 

he did so by being a GREAT coach.  There was a ton of talent on that team, it was just poorly coached.  w/ a very similar team in 1997 we went 9-7.  His drafts were a joke. He inherited the #1 overall pick in 1997 and made 31 picks from 1997-1999, the majority of which were out of the league w/in 2 years then he left us w/ a terrible cap where, if not for the expansion draft after the 2001 season, we may have had to do a total rebuild.  We got lucky w/ expansion draft and retooled for a rare div title.

are you saying Vinny Testaverde was a weak armed QB?

Here are the drafts under Parcells.

1999 1 2 26 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State
  2 3 29 90 David Loverne G San Jose State
  3 4 28 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska
  4 5 29 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwestern State (LA)
  5 6 14 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond
  6 6 28 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois
  7 7 17 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State
  8 7 29 235 J.J. Syvrud DE Jamestown
1998 1 2 26 56 Dorian Boose DT Washington State
  2 3 6 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska
  3 3 26 87 Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State
  4 4 19 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati
  5 5 11 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern
  6 5 18 141 Doug Karczewski T Virginia
  7 5 23 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon
  8 5 26 149 Eric Bateman T Brigham Young
  9 6 10 163 Eric Ogbogu DT Maryland
  10 6 21 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State
  11 6 30 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young
  12 7 6 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern
1997 1 1 8 8 James Farrior LB Virginia
  2 2 1 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina
  3 3 28 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa
  4 4 6 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State
  5 4 8 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina
  6 5 1 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina
  7 5 15 145 Raymond Austin DB Tennessee
  8 6 1 164 Tim Scharf LB Northwestern
  9 6 28 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston
  10 7 1 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado
  11 7 28 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Chiefs traded a 4th round pick for Herm who won 4 games in 2005.

he did but we were decimated by injuries and were playing w/ a 4th string QB the majority of that season.  Herm had made the playoffs 3 of the previous 4 seasons w/ us and would make it year 1 w/ KC.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he did but we were decimated by injuries and were playing w/ a 4th string QB the majority of that season.  Herm had made the playoffs 3 of the previous 4 seasons w/ us and would make it year 1 w/ KC.

I'm not critical of Herm, I was simply pointing out that teams can have interest in a HC with only 5 wins in a season. Bowles got 5 wins out of McCown/Petty.  This was the best season McCown has ever had.

My understanding is the Todd Bowles contract talks began at least a week ago. The Jets were motivated to get it done before Monday because they knew other teams (Cards and Bucs) would've been interested. (As it turned out, the Bucs reportedly have decided to keep Dirk Koetter.) While Bowles wouldn't have been a free agent, his negotiating position would've been strengthened knowing there was back-channel interest from other teams. The Bowles/Cards speculation had been circulating for months. The Jets opted to be proactive.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he did so by being a GREAT coach.  There was a ton of talent on that team, it was just poorly coached.  w/ a very similar team in 1997 we went 9-7.  His drafts were a joke. He inherited the #1 overall pick in 1997 and made 31 picks from 1997-1999, the majority of which were out of the league w/in 2 years then he left us w/ a terrible cap where, if not for the expansion draft after the 2001 season, we may have had to do a total rebuild.  We got lucky w/ expansion draft and retooled for a rare div title.

And he also brought us 1 of best running backs in game over with him in Curtis Martin. Yes he was a MUCH better coach than herm Edwards I agree ha

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm not critical of Herm, I was simply pointing out that teams can have interest in a HC with only 5 wins in a season. Bowles got 5 wins out of McCown/Petty.  This was the best season McCown has ever had.

I understand, just pointing out some relevant facts about that situation. I believe Herm was in talks w/ KC during that season.

Did Bowles get 5 wins out of McCown? I tend to give the OC more credit and Josh credit.  He played well.  This team was more talented than given credit for, realistically we should have won a few more games. a better job from the HC and I believe we are alive this weekend.

w/ all that said I wasn't mad we extended him.  This is a total rebuild and we are moving forward w/ it BUT he needs to really improve next season.  I am rooting for him.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

My understanding is the Todd Bowles contract talks began at least a week ago. The Jets were motivated to get it done before Monday because they knew other teams (Cards and Bucs) would've been interested. (As it turned out, the Bucs reportedly have decided to keep Dirk Koetter.) While Bowles wouldn't have been a free agent, his negotiating position would've been strengthened knowing there was back-channel interest from other teams. The Bowles/Cards speculation had been circulating for months. The Jets opted to be proactive.

These teams clearly haven't been watching our games.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Utter incompetence. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And he also brought us 1 of best running backs in game over with him in Curtis Martin. Yes he was a MUCH better coach than herm Edwards I agree ha

He did by overpaying badly. As great as Curtis was for us it didn't seem to slow down the Pats. He had a chance to get us Peyton Manning and wouldn't commit to taking him #1 overall so Peyton went back to school.  He had a chance to leave us BB which then we could have picked Brady but b/c he wasn't open w/ BB he then went out and made a deal w/ NE.

of course Parcells was a better coach than Herm, I think he's a better coach than BB.  I think he's one of the greatest HCs of all time, he was a terrible GM though.

9 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Man.The Jets made a good move here. They saved themselves a ton of cash. Could you imagine the leverage Bowles would have had with interest from an Arizona team to pile on with his resume of tons of wins, stellar game management and incredible QB development? Whew. Dodged one there.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

totally agree on parcells poor drafts although he also drafted abraham, ellis, chaddy and becht in 2000.  the biggest free agent mistake he made was getting that psycho steve atwater and then that tight end (hugh green?).  both of those guys were completely useless.

16 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Cardinals sounds like they definately would have grabbed Bowles if he was fired.  Also putting in the bluff they wouldn’t  be interested if giving up any draft picks for him. That is bs, but obviously negotiations are a poker game. I think they would have offered a mid round draft pick for him if we had no extended him. Let’s say they don’t like any other candidates, and still try to get him. Offer a 2nd rounder. Would jets really say no ??

Was thinking (and praying) this may be the case.... One can only hope...

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, rangerous said:

totally agree on parcells poor drafts although he also drafted abraham, ellis, chaddy and becht in 2000.  the biggest free agent mistake he made was getting that psycho steve atwater and then that tight end (hugh green?).  both of those guys were completely useless.

I have posted a bunch of articles about this many times, Parcells said he gave power to groh and so I give Groh the credit for the 200 draft BUT that draft doesn't look nearly as good now as it did a few years in and remember we had to trade Keyshawn and essentially Belichick to get that many 1st rd picks so when you add it up it was a big loss for us anyway.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:59 AM, nyjunc said:

He did by overpaying badly. As great as Curtis was for us it didn't seem to slow down the Pats. He had a chance to get us Peyton Manning and wouldn't commit to taking him #1 overall so Peyton went back to school.  He had a chance to leave us BB which then we could have picked Brady but b/c he wasn't open w/ BB he then went out and made a deal w/ NE.

of course Parcells was a better coach than Herm, I think he's a better coach than BB.  I think he's one of the greatest HCs of all time, he was a terrible GM though.

People forget that Parcells was the reason why Peyton Manning stayed at Tennessee for his senior season. All the Manning family wanted was a guarantee that we would draft him but Parcells didn't want to because he had a stupid formula when it came to drafting QBs. The QB had to start 4 years (so no juniors) and had to win I believe 28 games. There was no deviating from this even for an obvious franchise QB in Peyton Manning. This is why he didn't want Manning but did draft Pat White when he was the GM of Miami.

Parcells was a great coach with the Jets and may have won a Super Bowl if Vinny didn't tear his achilles but I will never forgive him for passing on Peyton Manning. 

22 minutes ago, Pennington said:

People forget that Parcells was the reason why Peyton Manning stayed at Tennessee for his senior season. All the Manning family wanted was a guarantee that we would draft him but Parcells didn't want to because he had a stupid formula when it came to drafting QBs. The QB had to start 4 years (so no juniors) and had to win I believe 28 games. There was no deviating from this even for an obvious franchise QB in Peyton Manning. This is why he didn't want Manning but did draft Pat White when he was the GM of Miami.

Parcells was a great coach with the Jets and may have won a Super Bowl if Vinny didn't tear his achiles but I will never forgive him for passing up on Peyton Manning. 

outside of Marino teams didn't win w/ rookie QBs back then so Parcells saw it taking a few years and he only wanted to be here 2 years.  he came back for a 3rd b/c Hess died and he felt he owed it to him.

He cost us peyton and possibly Brady.  BP is why BB went to NE, if BB is here we don't have 4 1st rd picks, they probably don't draft Chad and he has the same staff in place that took Brady.  NE's dynasty now could have and should have been our dynsasty if not for BP.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

outside of Marino teams didn't win w/ rookie QBs back then so Parcells saw it taking a few years and he only wanted to be here 2 years.  he came back for a 3rd b/c Hess died and he felt he owed it to him.

He cost us peyton and possibly Brady.  BP is why BB went to NE, if BB is here we don't have 4 1st rd picks, they probably don't draft Chad and he has the same staff in place that took Brady.  NE's dynasty now could have and should have been our dynsasty if not for BP.

Yeah I have tried to forget that if not for Parcells we would have had Belichick and Brady. 

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

idk about the last part.  bellichicken could've stayed.  imo that guy was so uncomfortable in his own skin that he refused to take the chance.  why did he agree to sign on as parcell's heir apparent in the first place? and parcells pretty much resurected his career after his stint in cleveland. as for brady, there's no telling if he would've been picked by the jets.  the fifth round is pretty much in throwaway pick territory.  i have stated that brady wasn't quite the reach he has been portrayed to be since he came from a good college program and had good success but just about any team could have picked him.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

idk about the last part.  bellichicken could've stayed.  imo that guy was so uncomfortable in his own skin that he refused to take the chance.  why did he agree to sign on as parcell's heir apparent in the first place? and parcells pretty much resurected his career after his stint in cleveland. as for brady, there's no telling if he would've been picked by the jets.  the fifth round is pretty much in throwaway pick territory.  i have stated that brady wasn't quite the reach he has been portrayed to be since he came from a good college program and had good success but just about any team could have picked him.

BP would ever let BB know what he was doing even though he knew he wasn't coming back so instead of preparing to take over he sought out a new job.

BP did resurrect his career and I guess BP thought he was in charge of him. If BP just tells him he's done then BB would have been our HC.  BB knew his next chance was his last and he didn't want BP hovering over him. 

as far as Brady(who really resurrected BB's career), yeah any team could have had him but NE took him and assuming we have the same staff in place he put together in NE I would think we take him and the dynasty is ours. Instead of calling them cheaters and whining we'd be defending them and Pats fans would be whining and calling them cheaters.

On 12/29/2017 at 4:53 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

yes, yes they would

Archived