Suck for Sam they said

Maxman

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Not sixth overall. No safety is worth. Especially when two QBs are staring you in the face. 

If you take the QB, you're at least trying to be a good team. 

nonsense, Berry and Taylor were both worth top 5 picks. Adams...we'll see.

There were rumors before this game that Darnold was leaning towards returning to school after his uneven year, this game may sway it. Clearly he could do with another year of seasoning in school. 

On Mahones... it's a guess but five years from now I think he will be physically much more durable in the NFL than Watson. I also would bet that will have much more successful career than the past Big Twelve qbs like, Sam Bradford, RG111 and and the current two transitioning to the NFL,  Mayfield and Rudolph

Darnold is not a 1st round talent.  Take away the bowl game from last year and nobody would even know who he is.  I have never seen a guy live off of one game more then him.

The pick at 7 is mayfield.  If hes gone, take lamar jackson.

There should be no ofher players on our 1st round board then those 2 guys.

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

No safety is worth that. And Adams has to stand on a chair to kiss either of those guy's asses.

He has the talent.... but again to my original point..... get cousins.   There’s a what 10% chance any of these guys are Wentz and 1% they are Rodgers type.... sign cousins build the OL and skill positions 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold is not a 1st round talent.  Take away the bowl game from last year and nobody would even know who he is.  I have never seen a guy live off of one game more then him.

Not a lock for the 1st pick, okay. Not a 1st round talent, I can't get behind that. Jackson is exciting and would have no problem if we roll the dice on him but I'd still take Darnold over him.

55 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love guys that watch one college football game a year and think they can evaluate a player when his team is severely out-talented.. The kid has zero time. No one is open. Yeah, it's Darnold's fault.

Are you saying that I only watch one college football game a year?

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

really where is this team going next 3 years w Jackson (mini Vick at best) or mayfield (more athletic a smith) ?..... 

41 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But in his last 3 games, Darnold had 4tds, 1int and a comp pct around 64pct. But yeah, he's still a little raw. But I posted before the game started in another thread that he was going up against a much better team. Both lines are being dominated by OSU. Barrett has ALL day. If you gave Darnold that kind of  time, instead of having 170 passing yards,  he'd have 250 passing yards at the half. 

There is a reason Peyton Manning couldn't win a Title at Tennessee and Tee Martin was able to win it the year he replaced Peyton...and it wasn't because LOL Tee Martin is better because I am Joewilly and I watch 1 college football game a year...

Look I hope there are a bunch of GMs as ignorant as many posters on this board who evaluate a player on a superficial level. 

The point of this thread is that many of us were told to root against the Jets so we could get the first pick specifically to get Sam Darnold.

Based on this year, it isn't even a lock that the kid is coming out. Beyond that he might not even go # 1.

I am happy I rooted for the Jets this year. Watching Kearse come here, Robby develop, Lee get better, Davis find new life, Jenkins show what a tight end looks like, all of these were good things.

But I was told to root against the Jets. That losing was good. Because if they lost every game, they would get Sam Darnold. Even though nobody knows if he is coming out. Yeah, that.

1 minute ago, Titan24 said:

really where is this team going next 3 years w Jackson (mini Vick at best) or mayfield (more athletic a smith) ?..... 

If Mayfield is going to be a more athletic version of Alex Smith he deserves to go #1 overall. Our franchise would kill to have that type of QB for the next 15 years.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love guys that watch one college football game a year and think they can evaluate a player when his team is severely out-talented.. The kid has zero time. No one is open. Yeah, it's Darnold's fault.

This is #5 vs #8 and Sam has had a few very special plays (potential is there) but also looks questionable at times, not close to a sure thing

Mayfield, and the Iowa QB looked better vs this same defense and I have watched every Ohio State game (it is the law here)

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

This is #5 vs #8 and Sam has had a few very special plays (potential is there) but also looks questionable at times, not close to a sure thing

Mayfield, and the Iowa QB looked better vs this same defense 

This is #5 great team vs #8 Sam Darnold on a team that would be 7-5 without him. If you think these two teams have relatively equal talent you don't watch much college football.

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The point of this thread is that many of us were told to root against the Jets so we could get the first pick specifically to get Sam Darnold.

Based on this year, it isn't even a lock that the kid is coming out. Beyond that he might not even go # 1.

I am happy I rooted for the Jets this year. Watching Kearse come here, Robby develop, Lee get better, Davis find new life, Jenkins show what a tight end looks like, all of these were good things.

But I was told to root against the Jets. That losing was good. Because if they lost every game, they would get Sam Darnold. Even though nobody knows if he is coming out. Yeah, that.

Coming out or not, is a fair question. Thinking this kid isn't an elite QB talent is questionable....

He has zero time tonight and still making some great throws and still likely ending up with 250+ passing yards. USC has garbage talent this year. You watch plenty of college football so you should know.

Neutral field. Darnold vs JT Barrett. And OSU was a 10 pt fave. What does that tell you?

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is #5 great team vs #8 Sam Darnold on a team that would be 7-5 without him. If you think these two teams have relatively equal talent you don't watch much college football.

I don't watch much of the PAC 10 so will give you that but I did not think there was that much separation between these conferences

Do you thing OSU should be in the Natty?

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I don't watch much of the PAC 10 so will give you that but I did not think there was that much separation between these conferences

There is some separation between the conferences, not a ton. But there interior lines of these two teams has a huge gap. Maybe USC will give Sam some time on these next few drives and it turns into a game. If not, I see another forced int and more irrational freaking out in this thread. 

If he thinks he's going to lose too much money based on his poor play tonight and an up and down season I guess he will stay in school. To me he's still the most complete and NFL ready Qb in NCAAF. Of course you wouldn't want to draft another Mark Sanchez. Two dud USC potential franchise Qbs in ten years is too much for any org to deal with. But imo Darnold is better than Mark. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Coming out or not, is a fair question. Thinking this kid isn't an elite QB talent is questionable....

He has zero time tonight and still making some great throws and still likely ending up with 250+ passing yards. USC has garbage talent this year. You watch plenty of college football so you should know.

Neutral field. Darnold vs JT Barrett. And OSU was a 10 pt fave. What does that tell you?

You are missing or ignoring the point.

We were told that the Jets only chance was to lose every game. Because this kid would be the # 1 pick and he was the only way to the promised land.

Many of us disagreed. Guess what? This kid can be very good. But the point remains, he might not go # 1. He might not come out.

So there was no point to root against our favorite team. That is the point.

Go Jets.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

If he thinks he's going to lose too much money based on his poor play tonight and an up and down season I guess he will stay in school. To me he's still the most complete and NFL ready Qb in NCAAF. Of course you wouldn't want to draft another Mark Sanchez. Two dud USC potential franchise Qbs in ten years is too much for any org to deal with. But imo Darnold is better than Mark. 

He could end up better than Mark and still not be very good.

I remember arguing that you don't tank for a QB with a handful of game experience, that there are no guarantees.  That the last time fans wanted us to tank it was for the once in a lifetime R Bush.

That said, if he comes out and falls to us I'd take him, he has the talent, just isn't NFL ready.  And his team doesnt belong on the same field as OS tonight

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If Mayfield is going to be a more athletic version of Alex Smith he deserves to go #1 overall. Our franchise would kill to have that type of QB for the next 15 years.

You are saying this after 

1. You took him in your fantasy league

2. The chiefs totally built their offense around speed and misdirections which btw the nfl caught up to lately 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is some separation between the conferences, not a ton. But there interior lines of these two teams has a huge gap. Maybe USC will give Sam some time on these next few drives and it turns into a game. If not, I see another forced int and more irrational freaking out in this thread. 

OSU DLine is special at times but they have had a couple of clunkers (still kids) 

My concern was more about how Sam recovers from a bad play, see some of that deer in the headlights (Mark) but also great plays when he is on a roll 

I would not pass on Sam in the draft but also would not have passed on Watson last year

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You are missing or ignoring the point.

We were told that the Jets only chance was to lose every game. Because this kid would be the # 1 pick and he was the only way to the promised land.

Many of us disagreed. Guess what? This kid can be very good. But the point remains, he might not go # 1. He might not come out.

So there was no point to root against our favorite team. That is the point.

Go Jets.

I wanted the Jets to be bad but I also rooted for the Jets each and every week. The reality is this thread is terribly premature. You're acting like you've been proven right. If Darnold goes 2 to the giants and ends up being great and we end up without a franchise QB, this season will have been a colossal disaster. 

47 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Not sixth overall. No safety is worth. Especially when two QBs are staring you in the face. 

If you take the QB, you're at least trying to be a good team. 

And not every and all QBs are worth a 6.  Mahomes at 6?   Seriously, you just want anyone listed as a QB.  Because, you know, it proves that you're trying to be a good team?

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Hopefully he still comes out. And plays somewhere else.

I am just glad I didn't root for the Jets to lose every game so we could pick first and draft him. I am much happier that the Jets developed some young receivers and have a young defense to build around. 5 wins sucks, but easier to get to 12 from 5.

Rooting for the team to lose does not make them win or lose.  And while the Suck for Sam mantra was cute, the majority of the tank crowd didn't have one particular guy they coveted.  There just isn't any fun alliteration for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield.  

Picking 1st or 2nd provides enormous draft capital.  You have the ability to take one of the top QB's OR trade the pick for a huge package. 

Even if we sucked enough to get the # 1 pick, but didn't like Sam Darnold, Rosen, or whoever gets taken 1st, we could have traded down.  

You're simply wrong here.  And you're happy that you got to witness a 5-win season rather than a 2-win season.  I guess those extra 3 wins were worth having little draft capital and the chance to take Josh Allen?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Rooting for the team to lose does not make them win or lose.  And while the Suck for Sam mantra was cute, the majority of the tank crowd didn't have one guy they coveted.  Picking 1st or 2nd provides enormous draft capital.  You have the ability to take one of the top QB's OR trade the pick for a huge package. 

Even if we sucked enough to get the # 1 pick, but didn't like Sam Darnold, Rosen, or whoever gets taken 1st, we could have traded down.  

You're simply wrong here.  And you're happy that you got to witness a 5-win season rather than a 2-win season.  I guess those extra 3 wins were worth having little draft capital and the chance to take Josh Allen?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for proving my point with the first line in your rebuttal.

And I was speaking to those who SPECIFICALLY said the Jets needed to suck for Sam. If they wanted to suck for a college QB not named Sam, they picked the wrong name for their cause.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wanted the Jets to be bad but I also rooted for the Jets each and every week. The reality is this thread is terribly premature. You're acting like you've been proven right. If Darnold goes 2 to the giants and ends up being great and we end up without a franchise QB, this season will have been a colossal disaster. 

The thread isn't premature. I am not saying the kid won't be great. I personally think he needs another year in college. He will be fine I am sure.

This thread is about people telling Jets fans that THEY SHOULD ROOT FOR THE JETS TO LOSE EVERY GAME THIS YEAR SO SAM COULD SAVE THE FRANCHISE.

That premise was wrong. And silly. And silly wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rooting for the team to lose does not make them win or lose.  And while the Suck for Sam mantra was cute, the majority of the tank crowd didn't have one particular guy they coveted.  There just isn't any fun alliteration for Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield.  

Picking 1st or 2nd provides enormous draft capital.  You have the ability to take one of the top QB's OR trade the pick for a huge package. 

No but calling for the team to lose on purpose does if they were dumb enough to listen to fans.

Cant believe some are still saying it was wrong not to tank.  

6 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

You are saying this after 

1. You took him in your fantasy league

2. The chiefs totally built their offense around speed and misdirections which btw the nfl caught up to lately 

You are looking at it for just this season, Smith has had a nice career. If teams felt they were getting a more athletic version of him I'd have to imagine that player would go #1.

Archived