Suck for Sam they said

Maxman

Just now, Maxman said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for proving my point with the first line in your rebuttal.

And I was speaking to those who SPECIFICALLY said the Jets needed to suck for Sam. If they wanted to suck for a college QB not named Sam, they picked the wrong name for their cause.

No, I'm not proving your point.  You're saying it was actually a good thing for the team to win 5 games over 2, as if there is any upside to that, and that basically Jets fans were wrong to do that.  No, they weren't.  A proper tank is a far better result than winning enough just to push yourself out of the Top 5. 

If the choice was tank or playoffs, YOU would be right, but that's not what you're saying here.  And you're using a bad night from a QB prospect as justification that you were right all along.  No, Sam Darnold sucking tonight doesn't make your argument against the tank crowd any smarter.  

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Coming out or not, is a fair question. Thinking this kid isn't an elite QB talent is questionable....

He has zero time tonight and still making some great throws and still likely ending up with 250+ passing yards. USC has garbage talent this year. You watch plenty of college football so you should know.

Neutral field. Darnold vs JT Barrett. And OSU was a 10 pt fave. What does that tell you?

It's not questionable.  If anyone still thinks Darnold is some slam dunk prospect that can't be passed on, that is questionable.  

Its not just one game from Darnold.  If you think that, you are the one who watched one game and makes a final judgement.  His play tonight is indicative of the problems he's had all year.  Bad turnovers, poor ball security, and quite frankly at times looking completely uncomfortable.

He certainly has upside.  Might end up being a very good NFL QB someday.  But he's far, far from some can't miss prospect.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The thread isn't premature. I am not saying the kid won't be great. I personally think he needs another year in college. He will be fine I am sure.

This thread is about people telling Jets fans that THEY SHOULD ROOT FOR THE JETS TO LOSE EVERY GAME THIS YEAR SO SAM COULD SAVE THE FRANCHISE.

That premise was wrong. And silly. And silly wrong.

If Sam can still be great, why can't he still be the guy to save the franchise?  

Or are you saying he 100 % needs to stay in school another year for him to be great?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I'm not proving your point.  You're saying it was actually a good thing for the team to win 5 games over 2, as if there is any upside to that, and that basically Jets fans were wrong to do that.  No, they weren't.  A proper tank is a far better result than winning enough just to push yourself out of the Top 5. 

If the choice was tank or playoffs, YOU would be right, but that's not what you're saying here.  And you're using a bad night from a QB prospect as justification that you were right all along.  No, Sam Darnold sucking tonight doesn't make your argument against the tank crowd any smarter.  

Thank you, you just proved my point again. 

I am glad we agree.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And not every and all QBs are worth a 6.  Mahomes at 6?   Seriously, you just want anyone listed as a QB.  Because, you know, it proves that you're trying to be a good team?

There are teams with QBs, and then there are the dregs of the league. Not taking a QB when you don't have one means you are not only one of the dregs, but you are content being one.

Maccagnan should have been fired the second Jamal Adams was selected. That pick was inexcusable.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If Sam can still be great, why can't he still be the guy to save the franchise?  

Or are you saying he 100 % needs to stay in school another year for him to be great?

I am having fun with all those that told so many of us that we were stupid for rooting for the Jets. I was told that exact thing.

We are fans. I have said all along we don't control the outcome.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You are looking at it for just this season, Smith has had a nice career. If teams felt they were getting a more athletic version of him I'd have to imagine that player would go #1.

Before this season he was a “bum” to me and most likely you....a reach at no.1. Think he has a better head in his shoulder than mayfield too..... give me cousins 

1 hour ago, Titan24 said:

If you think J Adams is E Berry you take him....again hindsight Watson is hurt looks good who knows.... Mahomes is unknown 

No, you don't.  Eric Berry can't impact a franchise nearly as much as even an AVERAGE or slightly above average QB can. 

If you think a QB can be even an above average guy that you can build around, you take him over a safety, even if the safety is guaranteed to be the next Berry.  

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love guys that watch one college football game a year and think they can evaluate a player when his team is severely out-talented.. The kid has zero time. No one is open. Yeah, it's Darnold's fault.

Hmm where have I heard this before cough cough Hackenberg , cough cough Josh Allen , but Suck for Sam is the chosen one.

I am having fun with all those that told so many of us that we were stupid for rooting for the Jets. I was told that exact thing.

We are fans. I have said all along we don't control the outcome.

So this thread is meaningless really.  Or at least one you could have started at any time, but chose to start it with Darnold's performance in mind. 

Again, do you think Jets fans were wrong to root for the tank because Sam Darnold can't be a franchise QB?  You're hedging.  

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

There are teams with QBs, and then there are the dregs of the league. Not taking a QB when you don't have one means you are not only one of the dregs, but you are content being one.

Maccagnan should have been fired the second Jamal Adams was selected. That pick was inexcusable.

No, taking a QB that shouldn't be picked as high as you're picking when he doesn't deserve that spot doesn't make you better.  Taking a QB who suck over a position player just because he's a QB would be stupid if you didn't think he was worth the pick.  You and a handful of fans on a message board are literally the only ones who believe Macc should be fired for Adams.  You would think you might want to think that position through.  Yeah, inexcusable.  Lol.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

So this thread is meaningless really.  You could have started it at any time.  Again, do you think Jets fans were wrong to root for the tank because Sam Darnold can't be a franchise QB?  You're hedging.  

It isn't meaningless. I already said why I started it. I am having fun with the Suck for Sam crowd.

I have said it 1000 times. I think rooting for a tank is a silly premise that is a pointless exercise. Especially for those of us with season tickets.

I rooted this year for the team to get better. I rooted for the Jets to win. But mostly I rooted for player development. I would never root for the Jets to lose.

In the time I took to write this Darnold fumbled again. But hey, let's go 0 and 16 for the guy.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember arguing that you don't tank for a QB with a handful of game experience, that there are no guarantees.  That the last time fans wanted us to tank it was for the once in a lifetime R Bush.

That said, if he comes out and falls to us I'd take him, he has the talent, just isn't NFL ready.  And his team doesnt belong on the same field as OS tonight

This is a good point. There are options every year.

Life is too damn short for me to root for the Jets to lose every game. Because somehow losing is the only way to win. Yeah. No.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, you don't.  Eric Berry can't impact a franchise nearly as much as even an AVERAGE or slightly above average QB can. 

If you think a QB can be even an above average guy that you can build around, you take him over a safety, even if the safety is guaranteed to be the next Berry.  

Berry, Lott, etc all impact games more than Savage, Siemian, Huntley, Gabbert, etc.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, taking a QB that shouldn't be picked as high as you're picking when he doesn't deserve that spot doesn't make you better.  Taking a QB who suck over a position player just because he's a QB would be stupid if you didn't think he was worth the pick.  You and a handful of fans on a message board are literally the only ones who believe Macc should be fired for Adams.  You would think you might want to think that position through.  Yeah, inexcusable.  Lol.

Deshaun Watson had a bigger impact in the few games he played than Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye have had combined playing a full season.

That's the difference between a QB and ******* safeties.

Jamal Adams was a wasted pick. We missed the chance to truly improve the team by passing on Watson and Mahomes. Sorry if that statement makes your a$$hole pucker, but hearing the truth hurts sometimes.

OR, conversely, it would sure be fun to see the Giants trade their pick away for three 1st rounders while we sit there with our d*cks in our hands. 

Whether Darnold works out or not, the teams picking 1st or 2nd can be happy with that kind of haul in a trade.  

Even the Colts sitting at 3rd could probably get a couple 1sts out of a trade.  I would not be surprised at all to see the top 3 QB's go 1-2-3.  

@Maxman sounds like you have Sam's career trajectory all worked out.  When he's a franchise QB for a team like the Giants, I hope you'll have enjoyed this 5-win season and the first round corner we take.  

Oh, and also the part where Josh Rosen makes Cleveland relevant while we're at it.  

I am sorry this tank never happened. You seem really upset by it.

Darnold seems like a great kid. I hope he becomes a great QB. Would be even better if he did that for the Jets.

But rooting against the Jets is pointless when you are a Jets fan. That point remains.

I had a great time going to the games with my family and friends. I just can't root against things I care for. And for the 100th time, sucking for sam wasn't needed. He isn't going # 1 overall despite what so many Jets fans were told.

I will have fun rooting for the Jets with Mayfield next year. Or Cousins. Or whatever Macc decides.

I am a fan. I root for the team to win.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OR, conversely, it would sure be fun to see the Giants trade their pick away for three 1st rounders while we sit there with our d*cks in our hands. 

Whether Darnold works out or not, the teams picking 1st or 2nd can be happy with that kind of haul in a trade.  

Go Jets!

I am sorry this tank never happened. You seem really upset by it.

Darnold seems like a great kid. I hope he becomes a great QB. Would be even better if he did that for the Jets.

But rooting against the Jets is pointless when you are a Jets fan. That point remains.

I had a great time going to the games with my family and friends. I just can't root against things I care for. And for the 100th time, sucking for sam wasn't needed. He isn't going # 1 overall despite what so many Jets fans were told.

I will have fun rooting for the Jets with Mayfield next year. Or Cousins. Or whatever Macc decides.

I am a fan. I root for the team to win.

That's cool, but you've spent a full season trying to shame those on the other side of the argument, as if we're not "real fans".  It's quite clear.  

News flash:  We want the Jets to win too.  But in years where we're clearly not a playoff team or a Super Bowl contender, our future very likely depends on tanking properly at least once.  

This is a good point. There are options every year.

Life is too damn short for me to root for the Jets to lose every game. Because somehow losing is the only way to win. Yeah. No.

There are no guarantees.  Everyone was all in on Darnold, now he sucks.  If we tanked came in second and Rosen was taken 1 where would we be?  Reading how the Jets were morons tanking, lol.  Especially dealing with 2 QBs who have to declare.  

And as for the draft equity, lol, like all the good it did cleveland passing on the QB for picks last year?  Like it did for us when Parcells turned the 1 into how many star players?  

Everyone dreams of the quick, easy fix.  Lose and get a franchise QB.  Works every time. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good point that’s why I pay cousins.   The chance any of these guys are above average or better in this draft is low.  There is a very low probability there’s a Wentz this year and even lower chance a Rodgers/Brady 

That's cool, but you've spent a full season trying to shame those on the other side of the argument, as if we're not "real fans".  It's quite clear.  

Maybe you should look around and read.  The tank crowd is still ripping those of us who didn't agree for being stuck picking at 5 or so.  Will go down in flames thinking they had it figured out. That the 3rd or 4th pick would turn it all around but 5 or 6 is so, Jetsy, LOL

Just now, Titan24 said:

Good point that’s why I pay cousins.   The chance any of these guys are above average or better in this draft is low.  There is a very low probability there’s a Wentz this year and even lower chance a Rodgers/Brady 

Cousins is really the best option if we're out of the Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield sweepstakes.  

No, not at all. I have NEVER once said someone wasn't a real fan. You never met me, but those that know me know how much I despise people claiming they are a bigger fan than others. We get over a million page views a month a lot of months here. Hardly anybody even knows my real name. Because I don't care about "fan ratings". To me the experience is about sitting with my son on game day and rooting for the Jets to win. Generally speaking I don't concern myself much with what joy or pain others take out of the whole Jets experience.

I run JetNation. We root for the Jets. The only thing that was real clear this year was that I wasn't going to let the game thread become a place where people root against the Jets. We don't let Patriots fans do it, so I told Jets fans they couldn't do it.

Nobody here got banned or even received a moderator warning for being pro-tank. I can't even tell you who was pro-tank, my time in the forums is limited because running the site always has me updating something on Facebook, the blog or Twitter. The only person I know for sure is pro-tank is Angelo. And I love that dude. Had great exchanges with him over it, I admire his passion. Even if I disagree with it.

4 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

I do think they are going QB free agent and QB prospect like Mayfield.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

No, not at all. I have NEVER once said someone wasn't a real fan. You never met me, but those that know me know how much I despise people claiming they are a bigger fan than others. We get over a million page views a month a lot of months here. Hardly anybody even knows my real name. Because I don't care about "fan ratings". To me the experience is about sitting with my son on game day and rooting for the Jets to win. Generally speaking I don't concern myself much with what joy or pain others take out of the whole Jets experience.

I run JetNation. We root for the Jets. The only thing that was real clear this year was that I wasn't going to let the game thread become a place where people root against the Jets. We don't let Patriots fans do it, so I told Jets fans they couldn't do it.

Nobody here got banned or even received a moderator warning for being pro-tank. I can't even tell you who was pro-tank, my time in the forums is limited because running the site always has me updating something on Facebook, the blog or Twitter. The only person I know for sure is pro-tank is Angelo. And I love that dude. Had great exchanges with him over it, I admire his passion. Even if I disagree with it.

Fair enough.  It comes down to wanting this team to win a title, but having different philosophies as to how to make that happen as soon as possible.  

Archived