Suck for Sam they said

Maxman

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is #5 great team vs #8 Sam Darnold on a team that would be 7-5 without him. If you think these two teams have relatively equal talent you don't watch much college football.

So when you USC wins its because of Darnold and when they lose its on everyone else? SOJJ. Thats not what the man said. He said going against the same defense two other players looked better than Darnold. I have watched every OSU game and every Oklahoma game. I have watched at least 5 USC games. Darnold needs more seasoning. Even when he is not under pressure he makes mistakes as a kid with his limited experience will. The guy is too inconsistent at this point and needs to mature into the position a little more. He has all the skills, he just needs to refine them more. Hopefully he stays in school and to get that experience.

The part of the tanking discussion I don't understand is that those that are legitimately upset that it wasn't successful also seem to be incapable of acknowledging the Jets actually do have some promise.  I don't understand that.

I get that picking number 2 and being capable of drafting one of the "big" QB prospects would be a better scenario than drafting 8th and hoping we can still land Mayfield or trade up.  I even get wanting Watson over Adams, but the amount of sh** Adams receives on this board is flat out ridiculous.  He's already a good player, whether you are too scorned to admit it or not.  He's going to be a very, very good player for the Jets for years to come.  That just kind of goes for the team in general.  Lots of people seem so mad that they aren't getting one of these QB prospects that turned out to be incredibly overhyped, they can't acknowledge the Jets actually do have some decent young talent.

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

People thought it was a "thing" because, the Philadelphia 76ers. And look at the Philadelphia 76ers

You can't compare the sports where one has a 50+ man roster and the other 12 which is dominated by 1 or 2 players on each team. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's still going to go 1 or 2 and he still should go 1 and 2. 

You don't judge a QB on one game.  

If that is your take on Darnold, then you must not actually watch him.  It's not just one game.  Last night was not some 1 game struggle.  The stuff he struggled with last night he has struggled with all year, vs a great D or a bad one.

If anything, Darnold's hype train went into overdrive off 1 game, last year's Rose Bowl, and people refused to get off even though it had been evident all year he has some major issues.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

If that is your take on Darnold, then you must not actually watch him.  It's not just one game.  Last night was not some 1 game struggle.  The stuff he struggled with last night he has struggled with all year, vs a great D or a bad one.

If anything, Darnold's hype train went into overdrive off 1 game, last year's Rose Bowl, and people refused to get off even though it had been evident all year he has some major issues.

You are correct. That Rose Bowl game last year, PSU was injured and had suspended players in their back 7. That and they schemed horribly. Give Darnold credit, he hit some wide open windows in that game.

But the hit and run NCAA evaluators sure did bite big on that performance.

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The part of the tanking discussion I don't understand is that those that are legitimately upset that it wasn't successful also seem to be incapable of acknowledging the Jets actually do have some promise.  I don't understand that.

I get that picking number 2 and being capable of drafting one of the "big" QB prospects would be a better scenario than drafting 8th and hoping we can still land Mayfield or trade up.  I even get wanting Watson over Adams, but the amount of sh** Adams receives on this board is flat out ridiculous.  He's already a good player, whether you are too scorned to admit it or not.  He's going to be a very, very good player for the Jets for years to come.  That just kind of goes for the team in general.  Lots of people seem so mad that they aren't getting one of these QB prospects that turned out to be incredibly overhyped, they can't acknowledge the Jets actually do have some decent young talent.

I wanted no part of the tank mentality , however I also believe it would have been more beneficial to let McCown start the season and then give Petty/Hack the next 10 games. Unless the CS/FO have given up on both QB's it was a wasted opportunity to get them real game action. Now we go into 2018 with the same questions we had last season. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

But others here have.

Show me a team that has purposely "tanked" in the NFL and prospered because of that strategy.

It's almost impossible to happen when you have 50+ livelihoods on the line wanting to guarantee that next contract. In Basketball its certainly more feasible with Max contracts essentially locking in star player contracts and thus relegating lower tier players into a defined caste system. 

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Exactly. And the folks who say dont judge him on one bad loss last night were the same folks that crowned him a future HOF'er after 1 rose bowl game.

The only difference is that the media also did it which is what really sold most of these folk to begin with. Weird how so many people crowned him then 1 year later we hear how so many people dont even watch college football. Funny

16 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So true!!!  It's like people got on Darnold's hype train and now refuse to leave after
seeing his issues for an entire year.  He has unique skills in the pocket to keep
plays alive and to deliver pinpoint passes down the field.  But he also has footwork
issues (throws off his back foot), he's turnover prone and for someone who has been
talked up so much there have been multiple times he wasn't even the best QB on the field
(Luke Falk - Wash St and JT Barrett - Ohio St).  At this point I'm leaning towards putting
Mayfield above him in my rankings.  Mayfield went into Ohio St won the game and never looked
as flustered as Darnold did

Well, I for one, am glad we invested the 6th overall pick on a defender who doesn’t generate turnovers.

How about plays where he makes the Qb look elsewhere? How about the QB pressures? how about the tackles at the line of scrimmage? Turnovers are great but it doesn’t take away from all the good things he has showed us. His upside is great.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

At what cost?  They lost out on Wentz or Goff.  If I was cleveland I'd rather have the QB, their equity came at a price.  

Agreed.  But I’d also trade Darron Lee, Hackenberg, Adams, and Maye for those guys.  Today, neither team has a QB and the Browns have 2 shots to get theirs before we get our 1st.

Just now, prime21 said:

How about plays where he makes the Qb look elsewhere? How about the QB pressures? how about the tackles at the line of scrimmage? Turnovers are great but it doesn’t take away from all the good things he has showed us. His upside is great.

How about those weekly touchdowns to tight end’s 

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You are correct. That Rose Bowl game last year, PSU was injured and had suspended players in their back 7. That and they schemed horribly. Give Darnold credit, he hit some wide open windows in that game.

But the hit and run NCAA evaluators sure did bite big on that performance.

Not to ruin your day, but Sanchez did the same thing to an equally horrible Penn State defense and it propelled him to the 5th pick. The good news for Sanchez was it was his last game at USC, where Darnold had an entire year to raise quite a few red flags.

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Thus far, he’s shown us he can be average and make almost no impact plays.  He’ll probably be a fine player, but unlikely to ever merit the pick.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Oh if this perfomance dropped him from 1\2 to 6\7 that would be great. I would take him there. I would take him at 2, but I just wouldn't root for the 2nd pick.  :) But we don't have to go through all that again, haha.

His team was overmatched tonight. He threw for a ton of yards and despite the start he didn't melt down completely.

Scouts are going to love him during the workouts. I really do hope he comes out, would help the Jets regardless.

Max,  Just curious about tomorrow.  Are you rooting for the Jets to win, knowing it will push us back at least 3-4 slots in the draft, or are you making an exception this one time?  Yeah, I'm probably stirring it up, but it's the last week so why not :)

Just now, nycdan said:

Max,  Just curious about tomorrow.  Are you rooting for the Jets to win, knowing it will push us back at least 3-4 slots in the draft, or are you making an exception this one time?  Yeah, I'm probably stirring it up, but it's the last week so why not :)

I have a coupon book that has Jets stuff in it. I'm ripping out the coupon that says, good for one free jets loss.

Although petty is starting to i really won't need it lol.

They are not winning tomorrow. At this point I'm excited about the draft pick. I just can't root for that in week two.  :)

12 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Yea but Maye was better

Just now, Maxman said:

I have a coupon book that has Jets stuff in it. I'm ripping out the coupon that says, good for one free jets loss.

Although petty is starting to i really won't need it lol.

They are not winning tomorrow. At this point I'm excited about the draft pick. I just can't root for that in week two.  :)

And at last, the universe is spinning back in it's proper place! :D

I guess the one good thing we can say is we did get our answer on Petty.  No thanks to Bowles who would have kept playing McCown to the bitter end, but getting that intel was worth it IMO and personally, while I'm disappointed he was so ineffective, it's better than not knowing.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

Yea but Maye was better

Don't forget we actually needed them both.  We only had one other healthy Safety on the roster.  We can lament the value of where they were picked, but they are both effective and Safety is not currently a gaping problem so at least the problem was solved.  I liked it better when we solved the OL problem years ago with our first two picks (Brick and Mangold) but you can't always get that lucky.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I can understand and see what Sam Darnold fans see. Even though this was a bad game for USC, Darnold did make about 4 or 5 really impressive throws.

What i will say is that Darnold really needs a solid oline and running game at the next level if he's going to succeed. He's not good under pressure and will put the ball on the ground for sure.

The kid is talented though, you can see it even in what was an overall bad game. He's a turnover machine though. My only issue was the overhyping. He's not as great at this point as all the hype would suggest. 

Bottomline though, you cant turn the ball over like this simply because you played a good defense. This trait is what will kill Cleveland yet again if he cant fix it and he is drafted #1

I know you are making a serious point and there’s more to this QB analysis than glib responses but I can’t help but substitute in the the words Geno & Smith instead of Sam & Darnold 

31 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Don't bother the Adams bashers have an agenda , its not worth trying to prove them wrong over and over again . 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

It’s almost like someone was like hey, pump the breaks on this Darnold and the 2018 QB class.  It’s way overhyped.  And it’s almost like someone received a ridiculous amount of angry opposition for saying such an absolutely crazy thing about the great 2018 QB class. 

I think the class is good and deep but there is no slam dunk overall No1 pick. But then there wasn’t last year either and at least 3 good long term starters in the League should come from it, 4 if you rate Davis Webb, which I do.

i think at least 5 maybe six good QB’s come from this draft but with the exception of Rosen all have some question marks over their ability to transition to playing on Sundays.

If you are patient and prepared to wait, a number of these guys will be good to very good with a couple potentially great . But there is no Andrew Luck type prospect which, as you are kind of alluding to, is what Darnold was being hyped as(ludicrously after a whole 9 college starts) before the season began

Archived