F××× it, I'm gonna be optimistic.

freestater

We're gonna get our qb. The front office has some serious coin to spend. We're going to invest in some centerpieces to build an offense around. There's no reason Todd Bowles can't turn it around. There are a s××× load of couches out there who look like geniuses when they have a quarterback. 

Our defense is going to have a year under their belt, and we are probably see an upgrade on the outside. Sheldon could come back, who knows! The safeties are going to get better, and the addition of a a true edge rusher would change the pace of an already dangerous (at times) defense.

So yeah... I'm happy that everything will stay stable and we will be walking into what should be one of the most entertaining offseasons in years. Here's hoping! Stay safe tonight, guys. Happy New Year! 

I'm with ya.  I used to be a pessemistic f***head about pretty much everything in life, and I just got tired of it.  It was exhausting.  I wouldn't classify myself as overly optimistic when it comes to things, especially not the Jets, and I'm probably still a f**head, but I'll just wait and see how things unfold before getting bent out of shape.

No reason not to be unless you think Bowles and Macc are just completely inept on every level.

Once the Jets cut deadweight like Wilkerson and Skrine, they’re going to have over $90 million to spend in FA, a Top 6 pick and two additional picks in the Top 50 alone.

There’s potential to turn this whole thing around VERY quickly if done properly.

I may not be hot for Macc and Bowles (especially Bowles), but I refuse to believe that they’re so utterly clueless that they don’t realize they have to get a legit option behind center this offseason.

Love the team always will, but until ownership gets its act together and hires a PRESIDENT of FOOTBALL OPERATIONS that actually knows something about football, we are doomed. I still keep watching however lol...

29 minutes ago, freestater said:

We're gonna get our qb. The front office has some serious coin to spend. We're going to invest in some centerpieces to build an offense around. There's no reason Todd Bowles can't turn it around. There are a s××× load of couches out there who look like geniuses when they have a quarterback. 

Our defense is going to have a year under their belt, and we are probably see an upgrade on the outside. Sheldon could come back, who knows! The safeties are going to get better, and the addition of a a true edge rusher would change the pace of an already dangerous (at times) defense.

So yeah... I'm happy that everything will stay stable and we will be walking into what should be one of the most entertaining offseasons in years. Here's hoping! Stay safe tonight, guys. Happy New Year! 

Only COUCH that matters.

Image result for NY JETS PLAYOFF COUCH

22 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

999FFF73-FB77-41B8-8107-6F4F9BB1B66F.gif

May be true when it comes to Bowles, but I think Macc gets a lot of undeserved flak from the fanbase. He’s not Ron Wolf, but he’s not John Idzik either.

Just over the last few months he made two pretty damn good trades that certainly benefitted the team. Packaging Sheldon for a mid-2nd rounder and a solid #2 receiver in Kearse? Not too shabby. Trading a useless f*ckhead like Pryor to bring back Davis who looked like a completely different player this season? That’s full of win.

It seems like everyone mostly sh*ts on the guy because he whiffed on Hack in the 2nd round. Meh, not a huge deal to me. 95% of the QB’s in the draft are longshots. What would’ve been much worse in hindsight is if we would’ve drafted Paxton Lynch 30 spots higher like so many were so eager to do.

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Once the Jets cut deadweight like Wilkerson and Skrine, they’re going to have over $90 million to spend in FA, a Top 6 pick and two additional picks in the Top 50 alone.

Hm. Where have I seen this before? 

35 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm with ya.  I used to be a pessemistic f***head about pretty much everything in life, and I just got tired of it.  It was exhausting.  I wouldn't classify myself as overly optimistic when it comes to things, especially not the Jets, and I'm probably still a f**head, but I'll just wait and see how things unfold before getting bent out of shape.

That is an amazing articulation of my exact feelings. 

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

May be true when it comes to Bowles, but I think Macc gets a lot of undeserved flak from the fanbase. He’s not Ron Wolf, but he’s not John Idzik either.

Just over the last few months he made two pretty damn good trades that certainly benefitted the team. Packaging Sheldon for a mid-2nd rounder and a solid #2 receiver in Kearse? Not too shabby. Trading a useless f*ckhead like Pryor to bring back Davis who looked like a completely different player this season? That’s full of win.

It seems like everyone mostly sh*ts on the guy because he whiffed on Hack in the 2nd round. Meh, not a huge deal to me. 95% of the QB’s in the draft are longshots. What would’ve been much worse in hindsight is if we would’ve drafted Paxton Lynch 30 spots higher like so many were so eager to do.

hell ya

Picking 6th is not the end of the world in this draft. There are more QBs in this draft that have a chance to be NFL players than I've seen or read about so many scouts extolling in many years. Let's hope we somehow end up with the right one. Maybe we get the Marino instead of the Obrien. You just never know.

2 hours ago, freestater said:

dean-scream.jpg

3 hours ago, freestater said:

I'm hopeful, not quite optimistic.

12 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

I'm hopeful, not quite optimistic.

I just want to see us as active players when free agency starts. This current staff is in a situation where it's s××× or get off the pot. The upswing has to be soon, or they'll be looking for work. 

I love FA and love the draft and all the things that go into building up or treating down the team each off season.  Even in years in which things look bleak or we are saddled with a guy like rex in his last years I can muster up enthusiasm towards the draft, etc.

I just don't know if I can do it to the extent of the past, and be enthusiastic at all.  Bowles is by far the worst coach  this team has had since I started following them at the beginning of the Herm era.

Looking into crystal ball: How Jets will attack offseason

7:00 AM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The season is history and so is the year. Adios, 2017.

It was a tumultuous year for the New York Jets, who gutted their roster, said goodbye to some old favorites and embarked on a long, painful rebuilding process that resulted in a 5-11 record. Again.

Now it’s on to Phase II.

After receiving a strong commitment from ownership, general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles have the power and resources to end the Jets’ seven-year playoff drought. They have an estimated $100 million in cap room, plus seven draft picks, including three in the top 49.

Josh McCown performed admirably in 2017, but the answer for the Jets at QB isn't on the roster. Rich Schultz/Getty Images

If they make smart football decisions, there’s no reason why the 2018 Jets can’t be the 2017 Jacksonville Jaguars. A few suggestions on how to make it happen:

Double down on quarterbacks: With very little money invested in quarterbacks, the Jets are in position to make two significant additions. They should acquire a starting-caliber veteran and add a young arm from the draft, covering their short- and long-term needs.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Philadelphia Eagles did it that way in 2016. As it turned out, they didn’t need the veterans because they drafted Carson Wentz, an impact player from Day 1. Can the Jets get that lucky?

With the sixth pick, the Jets could have a shot at one of the four highest-rated quarterbacks -- Sam Darnold (if he declares), Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. It’s a talented quartet, but we’re not talking about any can’t-miss prospects. The Jets like Allen, but he may not last until six. Maccagnan, beholden to his best-player-available philosophy, won’t reach if he can help it, which makes it imperative they have an experienced signal-caller in place before the draft.

Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor and Case Keenum are the names being discussed at One Jets Drive. There’s interest in Kirk Cousins, who will command the biggest contract on the free-agent market, but some in the organization wonder if ownership will open the vault. Josh McCown is an option -- Bowles loves him -- but he’ll be 39 next season and may retire. Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty aren't considered viable options.

Fix the offense: Let’s be honest, Maccagnan has done a poor job on this side of the ball. Only one of his draft picks started on offense – right tackle Brandon Shell. He deserves credit for unearthing wide receiver Robby Anderson, a former undrafted free agent, but there’s an overall dearth of talent.

The Jets averaged 18.6 points per game, mainly because of McCown’s heart and brain. You can't win with that number unless your defense resembles the '85 Chicago Bears. They haven’t had a top-10 scoring offense since 2008, when Brett Favre was the quarterback. They’ve been using first-round picks on defense since 2010, which defies all logic.

Aside from quarterback, the Jets need a center, a No. 1 running back, a No. 1 receiver and a tight end (if they don’t re-sign Austin Seferian-Jenkins). There was plenty of talent on the table in last year’s draft -- Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara were third-round picks -- but Maccagnan went in different directions, not getting much immediate bang for his buck.

Pittsburgh Steelers star Le'Veon Bell will be a free agent, and he'd be ideal in their West Coast offense because of his versatility.

Dump salary: Muhammad Wilkerson and Matt Forte need to go -- and they will. These are no-brainer moves that will create $14 million in cap room.

Wilkerson, a healthy scratch for the final three games, ruined a potentially great career in New York by shifting into cruise control for the past two years. He will be released before the third day of the league year (March 17), when his $16.8 million salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Forte was a warrior and a terrific locker-room guy, but he’s a 32-year-old running back with a bad knee and a $4 million cap charge. They need to get younger and faster at the position.

Cornerback Buster Skrine ($8.5 million) has the third-highest cap charge, but it would be a mistake to let him go. He’s their only starting-caliber corner under contract. Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse finished with a team-high 65 catches, but he's not a lock to return because of a $5 million cap number. Remember, Quincy Enunwa, who missed the season with a neck injury, will be ready for training camp.

Find an edge rusher: When Maccagnan was hired, he said he wanted to create a pipeline of 3-4 outside linebackers. He has invested three draft picks in the position, none of whom has emerged as a pass-rushing threat -- Jordan Jenkins, Dylan Donahue(injured) and Lorenzo Mauldin(injured). Jenkins is a solid run defender, but they need a speed rusher who can draw double teams and create one-on-one matchups for Leonard Williams.

The good ones never get to free agency, so it's up to Maccagnan and his team of scouts to find a gem in the draft.

Corner the market: The Jets have a handful of corners under contract, but the only decent player is Skrine. Juston Burris has been a disappointment, and Morris Claiborne will be a free agent. Bowles needs man-to-man corners to play his press-man scheme. They should draft one and sign a free agent because their depth is an issue.

I don’t even love Mayfield as an NFL prospect, but getting him is the only thing that would excite me. I was all aboard the Sam train, but he regressed this Year albeit not all his fault. Rosen is a Nut job that would run ragged over Bowles. Mayfield may just have enough balls to account for Bowles lack there of.

What fans want: our version of Brady, a jackpot draft pick who saves the organization from day 1

What the HC/GM are aiming for: a known commodity pursued by other garbage teams in the league, like Cousins, Alex Smith, AJ McCarron or  one of the Vikings QBs

What the HC/GM will end up with: David Fales and the worst QB in this draft

I'm with you free. It isn't worth it to get worked up over something we have no control over. Might as well try to stay positive.

Despite the roster purge, we had some younger players step up. Our receivers were expected to be bad, and they turned out be pretty decent. For the first time since forever we actually got production out of the tight end position. Eli McGuire looks like a solid situational running back. 

The defense needs a pass rusher badly. If we can get one, there's pieces in place to be good.

Personally I'd go after Kirk Cousins. I don't have confidence in Bowles developing a QB, so go with an established player. Make him the one big free agent signing, then add some second tier guys to fill holes. Then try to get Barkley or the top receiver with our first pick, and go pass rusher and corner with the two second rounders.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'm with you free. It isn't worth it to get worked up over something we have no control over. Might as well try to stay positive.

Despite the roster purge, we had some younger players step up. Our receivers were expected to be bad, and they turned out be pretty decent. For the first time since forever we actually got production out of the tight end position. Eli McGuire looks like a solid situational running back. 

The defense needs a pass rusher badly. If we can get one, there's pieces in place to be good.

Personally I'd go after Kirk Cousins. I don't have confidence in Bowles developing a QB, so go with an established player. Make him the one big free agent signing, then add some second tier guys to fill holes. Then try to get Barkley or the top receiver with our first pick, and go pass rusher and corner with the two second rounders.

I hear ya. I think that's the type of safe approach these guys will go for. I really think Baker Mayfield is going to be special. Really hope the fo sees it that way too. 

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

I hear ya. I think that's the type of safe approach these guys will go for. I really think Baker Mayfield is going to be special. Really hope the fo sees it that way too. 

I like him too. 

ButBowles doesn't appear to be either interested or adept at grooming a young QB. It could just be that the two guys Mac drafted were just bad, but the fact that Bowles basically ignored Hack for an entire year just seems strange. Cousins seems like safer bet with this coach.

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I like him too. 

ButBowles doesn't appear to be either interested or adept at grooming a young QB. It could just be that the two guys Mac drafted were just bad, but the fact that Bowles basically ignored Hack for an entire year just seems strange. Cousins seems like safer bet with this coach.

You're probably right. I really do think they have to add 2 qbs to the roster. Hopefully, with a top prospect draftee. I would have no problem with a young guy riding the bench Year 1

I feel bad for you. The only thing Idzik did right was give us a bunch of cap space. Mac basically gifted us Buster Skrine with it. There's zero reason to believe our coaching staff can develop a QB, we already burned a second rounder on a guy who couldn't get in for a single series in yesterdays nightmare. In summation, we're a ******* joke and nothing is changing. Just accept it

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This. I think I'm gonna take this approach as well. I still think they're nuts if they don't take a QB high in this draft EVEN IF they sign a FA but I'm just gonna wait until the FA period and draft.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I like him too. 

i agree.  imo bowles wants a vet qb to try and minimize mistakes. he probably saw geno as an interception machine (which he is) and that made him more confident in fitzy.  of course in 2016 things turned around the other way but the point was again reaffirmed by him choosing mccown over petty/hack.

20 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No reason not to be unless you think Bowles and Macc are just completely inept on every level.

There’s potential to turn this whole thing around VERY quickly if done properly.

I may not be hot for Macc and Bowles (especially Bowles), but I refuse to believe that they’re so utterly clueless that they don’t realize they have to get a legit option behind center this offseason.

Very good points here.

14 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

This. I think I'm gonna take this approach as well. I still think they're nuts if they don't take a QB high in this draft EVEN IF they sign a FA but I'm just gonna wait until the FA period and draft.

Sign Cousins, draft Mayfield. Leave NOTHING to chance.

Archived