Jets may part ways with Bryce Petty, Hackenberg per sources

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-part-ways-petty-hackenberg-offseason-sources-article-1.3730012

FOXBOROUGH, Mass - Christian Hackenberg's patience, positivity and self-restraint have officially reached Gandhi-an levels.

The Mahatma would be proud of the history-making Jets quarterback, who watched another season come and go without sniffing the field.

The dust-collecting second-round signal caller was warming up hours before kickoff on a teeth-chattering day

(Wind chill: minus-2 degrees) with the hope of playing in a regular-season game for the first time in two seasons.

Alas, he didn't, leaving inquiring minds to wonder if his time with the team that drafted him with the 51st overall pick once upon a time will ever come.

My understanding is that there's a real possibility that the Jets will undergo a quarterback house-cleaning this offseason. Bryce Petty, who completed 51 percent of his passes in three starts this season, isn't expected to return. Hackenberg's days appear to be numbered too. (Josh McCown will be an unrestricted free agent).

The week-long will-he-or-won't-he-play speculation in the run-up to the Jets' 26-6 season-ending loss to the Patriots on Sunday was much ado about nothing. The Jets never intended to play Hackenberg barring an injury to Petty, who went 19 for 36 for 232 yards and a 72.9 passer rating against The Evil Empire.

"When you don't win the No. 2 job (in the preseason), it's kind of a foregone conclusion that you're not going to play (in the regular season)," Bowles said of Hackenberg. "When you lose the No. 2 job and you got two people ahead of you, how's it going to fluctuate when you lost it honestly?"

There's little doubt that Hackenberg gained valuable experience this summer, but there's a real concern on One Jets Drive that his rate of development isn't fast enough. (There are folks in the building, however, holding out hope that he can continue to develop).

"I understand the game," Hackenberg said. "I think my physical attributes are good enough to do it at this level. I want to continue to improve on those things. All the speculation and hearsay doesn't really mean anything to me right now. I just (have to) be as focused as I can on the next step. Right now the next step for me is this offseason and attacking it… and figure out things that I feel I need to improve on…. and keep building on the positives and come back as ready as I can."

Hackenberg has the exact right attitude despite becoming only the third quarterback drafted in the first two rounds of the Super Bowl not to take a snap in his first two seasons (along with Gene Bradley and Jim Kelly, who opted to play in the USFL).

The Jets gave Hackenberg a fair opportunity this offseason to either win the starting job or grab the No. 2 gig. He finished with a 56.8 completion rate, 68.1 passer rating with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Petty, who was the third man on the totem pole entering training camp, out-played him to earn the backup job.

"There's a time to play a lot of guys," Bowles said about whether he wants to see Hackenberg play in a regular-season game. "It wasn't his time yet. He'll wait (until it's) his time."

His time might come, but it appears more and more likely that it won't be with the Jets.

It's unfair to marginalize the fact that Hackenberg was learning his second offensive scheme in two years, but there are internal concerns whether he makes sense for the Jets given the state of the franchise.

Make no mistake: Finding a new starting quarterback will be the Jets' No. 1 priority this offseason. The preliminary thought is that the organization will make a run at a plug-and-play signal caller in free agency (or via trade). If that doesn't pan out, the Jets are taking a quarterback in the first round.

There is a sentiment on One Jets Drive that there will be three new quarterbacks on the roster next year. But there is some wiggle room on Hackenberg's immediate future with the team, according to sources.

"I don't really think about that," Hackenberg said about wondering about his future with the team. "Every day I've come in and gotten better in some way. I've grown and I've learned. Ultimately, (I'll) have an offseason to go back to it and continue to work. Then come in again in the spring and see what happens…. I'm not negative about anything. I'm excited actually."

Hackenberg has had a terrific outlook from the first day he walked into the Jets facility. He has comported himself like a professional and been undaunted amid the countless chatter from frustrated fans about how good or bad he might be. He's put in the time and effort to improve. He's a smart guy with a good head on his shoulders.

Should the Jets have given him an opportunity to play at some point in the final few weeks?

Maybe.

But the truth is that the Jets have dropped enough hints to everyone in the past few months.

They don't believe that Hackenberg will be the answer.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn’t surprising. This fake ‘QB competition’ is bad for the franchise and it’s pointless. It’s very clear that the Jets do not think either of them are starting material. Time to cut bait with them both and move on.  

McCown can return in the Mark Brunnel role for whoever our pick/free agent acquisition is if he’d like.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

This isn’t surprising. This fake ‘QB competition’ is bad for the franchise and it’s pointless. It’s very clear that the Jets do not think either of them are starting material. Time to cut bait with them both and move on.  

McCown can return in the Mark Brunnel role for whoever our pick/free agent acquisition is if he’d like.

BIG PROBLEM we haven't had a decent QB since Joe Namath left. 

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

idk if it was a fake comp. pretty damning words from bowles about him losing out and ******* himself over for the entire season.

As they should 

If they want to keep Hack around as the #3 for another year and see how he progresses...whatever.

Petty has no business being on the roster. 3 full years in the league and he still looks utterly clueless. Kid doesn’t even have a future as a backup in all likelihood.

The only way McCown should be on the team is if he wants to get into coaching and accepts a job as the assistant QB’s coach to Jeremy Bates or something.

Hackenberg ain’t going anywhere...yet. He’s on contract, cost expensed to a large degree, and most teams take at least 4 QBs into preseason anyway. Draft pick, vet, hack and another DP/FA will be the answer going into PS. He may not survive after next PS, but have a hard time believing the Jets will cut bait at this point.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yet another regime building a defense and thinking they can keep dropping old quarterback's from the sky each year. 

SAR I 

SAR I you and me been around the block and up and down for awhile in the end buddy YOU CALL IT LIKE YOU SEE IT. 

Happy New Year 

joewilly12

Might bet is that they both make it to camp. I'd be very surprised if they were cut any sooner than the draft. After that? they're VERY vulnerable, and should be considered expendable.

I also predict that McCown will be brought back, for less than this year.

Cousins, enunwa, OL or OLB I’m FA and 3 picks in 2 rounds and this team is competing for the afc east next year.  

Drafting a qb is a total waste with Bowles.  Doesn’t matter who the QB is, Bowles has no concept of developing a QB and will always skew to the vet.  

Extension or not, you have to assume 4 years w/o playoffs and Bowles is gone, so what is the incentive to play a young qb?

Archived