Jets may part ways with Bryce Petty, Hackenberg per sources

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Folks out here are amazing...

The Jets have had Sanchez, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Petty, an aged Vick,  McCown and Hack type QBs for over a decade and are actually saying that they don't want Cousins under center!

Yea that makes sense...

I don't get it either

Cousins isn’t Brady or Rodgers and he never will be, but he’d instantly become the best QB we’ve had since pre-injury Pennington.

After the utter dogsh*t we’ve put up with at QB for the better part of the last 15 years (40 years, really) most of the fanbase is going to scoff at the idea of landing a 4,000+ yard, 30 TD QB who consistently completes damn near 70% of his passes and is just entering the prime of his career?

In an offseason where we’re going to have $90+ million to play with and no OT or offensive skill player worth a damn is set to hit the market? (LeVeon Bell is going nowhere)

The Jets stand basically zero chance at landing Rosen/Darnold and guys like Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, etc aren’t even remotely close to being sure things. 

Say the Jets land Cousins and also bring in one of the top CB’s like Malcolm Butler or Trumaine Johnson, add a legit NT like Dontari Poe, re-sign Davis and ASJ...and then the draft rolls around and they take a Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Arden Key or Mike McGlinchley in the 1st and still have two more picks in the Top 50...

I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I don't get it either

Cousins isn’t Brady or Rodgers and he never will be, but he’d instantly become the best QB we’ve had since pre-injury Pennington.

After the utter dogsh*t we’ve put up with at QB for the better part of the last 15 years, most of the fanbase is going to scoff at the idea of landing a 4,000+ yard, 30 TD QB who consistently completes damn near 70% of his passes and is just entering the prime of his career?

In an offseason where we’re going to have $90+ million to play with and no OT or offensive skill player worth a damn is set to hit the market? (LeVeon Bell is going nowhere)

The Jets stand basically zero chance at landing Rosen/Darnold and guys like Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, etc aren’t even remotely close to being sure things. 

Say the Jets land Cousins and also bring in one of the top CB’s like Malcolm Butler or Trumaine Johnson, add a legit NT like Dontari Poe, re-sign Davis and ASJ...and then the draft rolls around and they take a Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Arden Key or Mike McGlinchley in the 1st and still have two more picks in the Top 50...

I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.

He sure looked great today huh?

If Mac cuts these guys he's admitting he made a mistake on both of them. Which isn't a bad thing for a GM to admit just unusual. In that case do you want a guy like him drafting a potential franchise Qb. I don't think they at this time should cut them. You've put two and three years into them and you have room on the roster for both of them even if you sign a FA and draft somebody. That's 4 Qbs on the roster which is the usual. And Petty could have some trade value even if for a conditional pick. There are worse backup Qbs in the NFL and he isn't a turnover machine. Just ineffective, 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

If Mac cuts these guys he's admitting he made a mistake on both of them. Which isn't a bad thing for a GM to admit just unusual. In that case do you want a guy like him drafting a potential franchise Qb. I don't think they at this time should cut them. You've put two and three years into them and you have room on the roster for both of them even if you sign a FA and draft somebody. That's 4 Qbs on the roster which is the usual. And Petty could have some trade value even if for a conditional pick. There are worse backup Qbs in the NFL and he isn't a turnover machine. Just ineffective, 

Does it matter he got a 2 year extension. 

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He sure looked great today huh?

Nope. But you’d have to be a dummy to dismiss the idea of bringing him in because of a bad game. Even the best QB’s have games here and there where they throw multiple picks.

Over the last 3 years since he became Washington’s fulltime starter, he’s thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TD’s every year while completing around 67% of his passes and posting basically what amounts to a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Yeah, I’ll take that.

Hell, you’d be drafting someone like Mayfield hoping that he could be that kind of QB 2-3 years from now.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Nope. But you’d have to be a dummy to dismiss the idea of bringing him in because of a bad game. Even the best QB’s have games here and there where they throw multiple picks.

Over the last 3 years since he became Washington’s fulltime starter, he’s thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TD’s every year while completing around 67% of his passes and posting basically what amounts to a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Yeah, I’ll take that.

Hell, you’d be drafting someone like Mayfield hoping that he could be that kind of QB 2-3 years from now.

This team doesn’t need to give top notch QB money to a guy who went 7-9 this year and 8-8 last year and never won a playoff game. They made it to the wild card one year....I would rather spend that money on an amazing supporting cast for a guy a lot younger and promsing. Cousins will be 30 next season.

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yea cause Brady, Manning, Breese, Namath and Joe Monatna and so on never had a poor game.......

Come on Now!!! 

One game isn’t my point, guys. The redskons missed the playoffs the last 2-3 years WITH Cousins throwing 5,000 for a reason. Show me a playoff win. 

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Over the last 3 years since he became Washington’s fulltime starter, he’s thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TD’s every year while completing around 67% of his passes and posting a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Yeah, I’ll take that.

Thank you...

No why would we want that kind of production from Cousins, when McCown's best year of his career; last year, wasn't  as good as Cousins' worst year????

Yep and McCown was team MVP!!!

We are nuts..

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you...

No why would we want that kind of production from Cousins, when McCown's best year of his career; last year, wasn't  as good as Cousins' worst year????

Makes sense to me....

We are all a little nutty......

Because he is 30 and never win when it counted. I’m still yet to see a playoff win.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

One game isn’t my point, guys. The redskons missed the playoffs the last 2-3 years WITH Cousins throwing 5,000 for a reason. Show me a playoff win. 

Yea and when Steve Young was in Tampa Bay team didn't make the playoffs, did that mean the 49ers were stupid for getting him?

Of course not! 

Washington is a joke!

Washington has less skill players than the Jets and their OL is worse.

We could do much worse than getting Cousins in here as QB IMO and we have had it for over a decade....

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This team doesn’t need to give top notch QB money to a guy who went 7-9 this year and 8-8 last year and never won a playoff game. They made it to the wild card one year....I would rather spend that money on an amazing supporting cast for a guy a lot younger and promsing. Cousins will be 30 next season.

A guy like Matthew Stafford has never won dick either, but I’d still take him as the QB of this team. There is no Brady or Montana on the horizon for us, so I’ll take a borderline Top 10 QB just entering his prime.

Who cares if Cousins is 30? If that means that I can get 5-6 years of quality QB play out of him...I’ll take it.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yea and when Steve Young was in Tampa Bay team didn't make the playoffs, did that mean the 49ers were stupid for getting him?

Of course not! 

Washington is a joke!

Washington has less skill players than the Jets and their OL is worse.

We could do much worse than getting Cousins in here as QB IMO and we have had it for over a decade....

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

A guy like Matthew Stafford has never won dick either, but I’d still take him as the QB of this team. There is no Brady or Montana on the horizon for us, so I’ll take a borderline Top 10 QB just entering his prime.

Who cares if Cousins is 30? If that means that I can get 5-6 years of quality QB play out of him...I’ll take it.

Okay...but he’s going to cost so much money..and then what happens when he’s done? We have no player to come in and resume stability at the position..you trust the Jets to be able to get themselves another QB later on that can be the face of the franchise? Because if we are winning games with Cousins, we won’t be in this same position to hit on a top guy. You’ll be banking on NYJ to get a guy in later rounds to groom...that’s a lot of luck to be looking forward to.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because he is 30 and never win when it counted. I’m still yet to see a playoff win.

Football isn't boxing or MMA; it is a team game!

No one player gets their team to the playoffs; not LT, not Joe Montana, not Tom Brady... NO ONE

Think Tom Brady alone doesn't win SBs. He doesn't, the TEAM WINS IT. 

This isn't FF!!

Yet at the end of the day Brady does increase the chances of his team getting to the playoffs and competing and that is all we can ask Cousins to do and I believe he would that better than the QBs we have had out there for over a decade.

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Football isn't boxing or MMA; it is a team game!

No one player gets their team to the playoffs; not LT, not Joe Montana, not Tom Brady... NO ONE

Think Tom Brady alone doesn't win SBs. He doesn't, the REFS AND CONNIVING CHEATING WINS IT. 

This isn't FF!!

Yet at the end of the day Brady does increase the chances of his team getting to the playoffs and competing and that is all we can ask Cousins to do and I believe he would that better than the QBs we have had out there for over a decade.

Fixed

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay...but he’s going to cost so much money..and then what happens when he’s done? We have no player to come in and resume stability at the position..you trust the Jets to be able to get themselves another QB later on that can be the face of the franchise? Because if we are winning games with Cousins, we won’t be in this same position to hit on a top guy. You’ll be banking on NYJ to get a guy in later rounds to groom...that’s a lot of luck to be looking forward to.

IMO you pay Cousins a significant contract with a real signing bonus but with large payments in the outline years; also you draft another QB whom you believe can start, why becuase one QB often can't get it done look at the Vikings and Eagles this year and you want Cousins replacement be groomed now.  

Also IMO you must have depth at the QB position.  It is now evident, in today's NFL, you can't win without a top 12 QB under center, which Cousins has been.

The key is that the Jets must have a plan, one player plug ins don't and wont work no matter who we have under center.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You’re signing Cousins with the intentions of him being your QB for at least the next 3 years. If he continues playing at the level that he has or even better...the next 5+ years.

When he’s getting a little long in the tooth in a few years, then we can start worrying about grooming a replacement.

The money thing doesn’t even bother me. This years FA crop is basically dogsh*t at positions like OT, WR, and OLB so where are we spending the money at anyway? Might as well go after the guy at the most important position who can make a major impact on your franchise if he pans out.

Just another reason I cannot stand Todd Bowles. 

Would it really have been so bad for him to give Hackenburg a quarter?  A series?  This guy may never play in the NFL at all let alone the jets and things look a lot worse never having played than getting in at least once.

I'm saying this as one of the very biggest critics of the pick and hackenburg and everything that went along with him.

I think Bowles is an a$$hole who plays favorites as well as a lousy coach.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just another reason I cannot stand Todd Bowles. 

Would it really have been so bad for him to give Hackenburg a quarter?  A series?  This guy may never play in the NFL at all let alone the jets and things look a lot worse never having played than getting in at least once.

I'm saying this as one of the very biggest critics of the pick and hackenburg and everything that went along with him.

I think Bowles is an a$$hole who plays favorites as well as a lousy coach.

No argument there. Bowles has zero vision for this team and is another DC masquerading as a HC.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not even a good DC

True his schemes are uninspiring and he doesn't show any emotion ever. In his mind he probably sees it as being consistent and the players will like that. These players get emotional and they must look at this guy and wonder. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I you and me been around the block and up and down for awhile in the end buddy YOU CALL IT LIKE YOU SEE IT. 

Happy New Year 

joewilly12

Happy New Year, Manish.

Please write about me in the NYDN this year.  Make it your resolution.

SAR I

Archived