Jets may part ways with Bryce Petty, Hackenberg per sources

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Alex Smith, Baker Mayfield, QB to be named Later

I think the only way Alex Smith makes sense is if you draft Baker Mayfield. Gives them insurance and time for Baker to learn. Give him a red shirt year. :)

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think the only way Alex Smith makes sense is if you draft Baker Mayfield. Gives them insurance and time for Baker to learn. Give him a red shirt year. :)

Tommorrow, tommorrow, I love ya tommorrow, your always a day away..

The Jets fans theme song.

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don't get it either

Cousins isn’t Brady or Rodgers and he never will be, but he’d instantly become the best QB we’ve had since pre-injury Pennington.

After the utter dogsh*t we’ve put up with at QB for the better part of the last 15 years (40 years, really) most of the fanbase is going to scoff at the idea of landing a 4,000+ yard, 30 TD QB who consistently completes damn near 70% of his passes and is just entering the prime of his career?

In an offseason where we’re going to have $90+ million to play with and no OT or offensive skill player worth a damn is set to hit the market? (LeVeon Bell is going nowhere)

The Jets stand basically zero chance at landing Rosen/Darnold and guys like Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, etc aren’t even remotely close to being sure things. 

Say the Jets land Cousins and also bring in one of the top CB’s like Malcolm Butler or Trumaine Johnson, add a legit NT like Dontari Poe, re-sign Davis and ASJ...and then the draft rolls around and they take a Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Arden Key or Mike McGlinchley in the 1st and still have two more picks in the Top 50...

I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.

It's called opportunity cost.  We invest in Cousins we lose the opportunity to choose another.  

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yea cause Brady, Manning, Breese, Namath and Joe Monatna and so on never had a poor game.......

Come on Now!!! 

I'm kinda getting the vibe that the Jets are committed to this whole rebuild thing.  We can argue with it, but I just think Macc will just go with the QB is he's there or within reach make a move, if not just draft BPA.  Trust the Process NYJ style.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just another reason I cannot stand Todd Bowles. 

Would it really have been so bad for him to give Hackenburg a quarter?  A series?  This guy may never play in the NFL at all let alone the jets and things look a lot worse never having played than getting in at least once.

I'm saying this as one of the very biggest critics of the pick and hackenburg and everything that went along with him.

I think Bowles is an a$$hole who plays favorites as well as a lousy coach.

If he can't earn it Bowles will not play him.  TB play old school or just hates Macc.

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

If true, there is a very good chance the Jets double dip at the QB position in the draft (unless they believe Stave has potential as a backup). 

The two QBs this GM drafted are so bad they have to be jettisoned this offseason but—good news—the same guy is going to be allowed to draft two more so problem solved. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The two QBs this GM drafted are so bad they have to be jettisoned this offseason but—good news—the same guy is going to be allowed to draft two more so problem solved. 

This is a deeper problem than just the GM. He’s an easy target, but at the same time if your any QBs father do you want him anywhere near the Jets? In the last 10 years, how many OCs and differential systems have been in place? Next year will likely be the 3rd in 3 years, and this is the pattern. There is no body on this staff who has a clue on how to handle the QB position, and nobody with an apparent interest in it either. 

11 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Cousins, enunwa, OL or OLB I’m FA and 3 picks in 2 rounds and this team is competing for the afc east next year.  

Drafting a qb is a total waste with Bowles.  Doesn’t matter who the QB is, Bowles has no concept of developing a QB and will always skew to the vet.  

Extension or not, you have to assume 4 years w/o playoffs and Bowles is gone, so what is the incentive to play a young qb?

Everyone keeps saying this without any facts to support it.

The facts we did see is how bad Petty is....Did you really expect a HC in the NFL to trot that guy out every week? OMG what would this fan base be doing then.  And Hack is worse!

The guy was dealt a terrible hand when it comes to young QB's.  No coaching in the world was going to make Bryce Petty an accurate thrower.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The facts we did see is how bad Petty is....Did you really expect a HC in the NFL to trot that guy out every week? OMG what would this fan base be doing then.  And Hack is worse!

The guy was dealt a terrible hand when it comes to young QB's.  No coaching in the world was going to make Bryce Petty an accurate thrower.

Bowles hired a guy who was out of th league as his OC, and is now out of the league again. There is a reason for that. As a HC you need to act like a CEO, Bowles doesn’t. He is the sales guy who was a good sales guy promoted to CEO and only cares about the sales team. I’m not saying either Petty or Hack were any good, but take that out of the equation and this was not a situation conducive to developing a young QB

2017 teams inquired about Petty, suggesting he had some trade value. Also, 2017 the organization refused to give him playing time until they had no choice, thus negating any and all trade value. Now they’ll let him walk.

Competitive rebuild.

31 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is a deeper problem than just the GM. He’s an easy target, but at the same time if your any QBs father do you want him anywhere near the Jets? In the last 10 years, how many OCs and differential systems have been in place? Next year will likely be the 3rd in 3 years, and this is the pattern. There is no body on this staff who has a clue on how to handle the QB position, and nobody with an apparent interest in it either. 

Agreed 100%. Anyone who says they’d let their child get drafted by the Jets should be reported to CPS.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

2017 teams inquired about Petty, suggesting he had some trade value. Also, 2017 the organization refused to give him playing time until they had no choice, thus negating any and all trade value. Now they’ll let him walk.

Competitive rebuild.

Playing him, as we've seen, would have negated any trade value - if there was any there in the first place - which I find doubtful.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Hack may have been a bad pick in the 2nd rd but waiting until after the first full season to work on throwing mechanics was not exactly how you ‘develop’ a qb.  

I don’t know what participation Bowles has in the offense but I know that he essentially ignored hack for 1 full year.   Not what I’m looking for in a HC if I draft a qb at #6.  

7 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

If he can't earn it Bowles will not play him.  TB play old school or just hates Macc.

This would have even an ounce of validity if players like Revis last year and Mo wilk this year were held to this lofty and pious thought that the best players play.  Revis and mo wilk at times in those years were disgustingly bad, not even trying and worse than any newbie.  And yet he trots them out each game. 

Also just what did maccown do to earn his starting spot over the two incumbents when he came into camp and hardly played?  He was handed the #1 job from day one.

You simply cannot truly evaluate a qb without real game time as opposed to running the scout team.  We were not going to learn any more about petty with one more series or so.

I can't believe I am defending hackenburg in all of this but bowles is a fraud in 90% of the things he says.

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Hack may have been a bad pick in the 2nd rd but waiting until after the first full season to work on throwing mechanics was not exactly how you ‘develop’ a qb.  

I don’t know what participation Bowles has in the offense but I know that he essentially ignored hack for 1 full year.   Not what I’m looking for in a HC if I draft a qb at #6.  

Agreed. Especially with that last sentence. As much as I want to draft a QB with our top pick, I have very little confidence in Bowles developing him.

Because of that I'm starting to favor going the free agent/trade route for a QB. Whether that's Cousins, Alex Smith, or some other guy that we aren't thinking of. 

Archived