Hackenberg sits to end a joke and Jets and Bowles are clowns

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/01/01/hackenberg-sitting-to-end-a-joke-and-jets-and-bowles-are-clowns/amp/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — In his first game since being empowered by that curious ownership vote of confidence in the form of a two-year contract extension Friday, Todd Bowles did not have a good day Sunday.

Forget the result — Patriots 26, Jets 6 at Gillette Stadium — because that’s what Jets ownership has been doing all season: Ignoring the results.

Pay attention, instead, to what the Jets coach didn’t do en route to this second consecutive 5-11 finish under his watch. He allowed a second consecutive lost season to pass without playing Christian Hackenberg for a single down.

With Sunday’s game already out of hand by halftime (21-3) and the Jets offense operating as if its players were running in waist-deep water, Bowles stubbornly and inexplicably refused to play Hackenberg.

So now the second-year second-round draft pick has gone his first two NFL seasons without playing a single down. This is as insulting to Hackenberg as it is to Jets fans.

Fact: The guy has practiced every day for two years without once squawking publicly about lack of playing time. Bowles and the coaching staff owed it to Hackenberg to get him in the game — even if they’re convinced he’ll never be good enough to play for them in a game of any importance.

If Hackenberg — who was the first Jets player on the frigid field to warm up long before Sunday’s game — had a bad attitude or didn’t practice hard it would be understandable for Bowles to ignore him.

But when, in his two years of being asked by reporters about his lack of playing opportunities, have you heard Hackenberg complain once?

It was classless for Bowles, himself a former NFL player, to not give Hackenberg a mere series or two.

It, too, was irresponsible on his part as a head coach with the security of that two-year extension he was granted Friday not to find out whatever he could about Hackenberg by playing him at least a little bit.

The most damning words from Bowles after the game came when he was asked whether he thinks Hackenberg can play in the NFL.

“We don’t know if he can or can’t,’’ Bowles said.

Then why the hell didn’t he put him in the damn game, make valuable use some of the garbage time at the end of this season to find out?

It’s not as if the Jets needed to see more of Bryce Petty at quarterback as they evaluate their murky future at quarterback, because let’s be perfectly honest: Petty, who’s 0-3 as a starter this year and 1-6 in his career, is not a part of the Jets’ future quarterback plans.

Bowles, when asked about playing Hackenberg, again clung to the fact Petty won the No. 2 job over Hackenberg and he felt it was only fair to Petty to give him these three starts after Josh McCown was lost for the season with a broken hand.

What about being fair to Hackenberg?

Bowles showing respect to Petty by not giving him a quick hook (or a hook of any kind) at the same time showed zero respect to Hackenberg by not rewarding him at all with some playing time and valuable experience.

“They just told me to be ready,’’ Hackenberg said of his communication with Bowles and the coaches. “So that’s what I did. I was ready and prepared and it didn’t happen.’’

When the Jets got the ball back with 6:42 remaining in the game, they were trailing 24-6 and were 0-for-10 on third-down conversions. And yet they trotted Petty back onto the field. Ridiculous.

That series ended with Petty being sacked in the end zone for a safety, leaving them 0-for-11 on third down (they would finish 0-for-12) and trailing 26-6.

“He works hard every day,’’ Bowles said of Hackenberg. “He’ll come back next year, he’ll work hard in the spring and we’ll look at it then.’’

The fact Bowles and his offensive coaching staff will “look at it then’’ with as little knowledge then as they had this season is irresponsible, because on a coaching level it was a complete shirking of his responsibility.

“It wasn’t his time yet,’’ Bowles said. “He has to wait his time.’’

The message Bowles has sent is that it’s never going to be Hackenberg’s time. Shame on him for allowing that to happen.

“I’ve tried to help Christian out every way I can,’’ Petty told The Post. “I say, ‘Dude, look at yourself on tape. You can make the throws. You’ve got it.’ He’s a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. His time is coming. No doubt about it.’’

Unfortunately for Hackenberg, Petty is wrong. There’s nothing but doubt about it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in zero mood to defend Bowles or any a$$hole associated with this organization right now, but after 32 games we have our answer to this idiotic question and we don't need the kid to embarrass us and himself to know it. 

Hack turned out to be the worst case scenario of his upside/downside.  He's really that bad.  Putting him would have changed absolutely nothing.  There is a report saying they might cut the both of these guys, but my guess is that we'll cut Petty first, see if Christian has made any progress come spring time (right before the draft), and if not, we end the experiment.  His ceiling is nothing more than back-up with us and, at this point, we know Macc and Bowles will be here 2 more years.  Just cut bait with both guys and be done with it.  The whole Petty thing really reminded me that things can, in fact, get worse than what they've been in the past.  Chances are we would have all been excited for two throws (that's even debatable) from Hackenberg before he started looking like the preseason wonder turd and reminding us why he wasn't starting from day one.  The coaching staff isn't hoarding the next Brady, they're just playing the "better" one of 2 dreadfully awful QBs.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It was classless for Bowles, himself a former NFL player, to not give Hackenberg a mere series or two.

It, too, was irresponsible on his part as a head coach with the security of that two-year extension he was granted Friday not to find out whatever he could about Hackenberg by playing him at least a little bit.

The most damning words from Bowles after the game came when he was asked whether he thinks Hackenberg can play in the NFL.

Then why the hell didn’t he put him in the damn game, make valuable use some of the garbage time at the end of this season to find out?

Bowles showing respect to Petty by not giving him a quick hook (or a hook of any kind) at the same time showed zero respect to Hackenberg by not rewarding him at all with some playing time and valuable experience.

“They just told me to be ready,’’ Hackenberg said of his communication with Bowles and the coaches. “So that’s what I did. I was ready and prepared and it didn’t happen.’

“He works hard every day,’’ Bowles said of Hackenberg. “He’ll come back next year, he’ll work hard in the spring and we’ll look at it then.’’

The fact Bowles and his offensive coaching staff will “look at it then’’ with as little knowledge then as they had this season is irresponsible, because on a coaching level it was a complete shirking of his responsibility.

“It wasn’t his time yet,’’ Bowles said. “He has to wait his time.’’

The message Bowles has sent is that it’s never going to be Hackenberg’s time. Shame on him for allowing that to happen.

Bowles wouldn’t let Hack play over the last 2 years because he’s a selfish, ignorant, mindless jerk who has no idea how to develop talent or instill confidence in young players.  He’s left several aspiring kids rot on the bench to squeak out 5 meaningless wins to try and look like the team is making progress when in reality, it’s setting this franchise back to the Kotite era. If McClown didn’t get hurt, Petty wouldn’t have seen the light of day either this year.  His decision to not play Hack goes both ways. I mean Bowles hasn’t coached in the last 3 so it’s kind of a wash. ??‍♂️

28 minutes ago, BigO said:

Bowles wouldn’t let Hack play over the last 2 years because he’s a selfish, ignorant, mindless jerk who has no idea how to develop talent or instill confidence in young players.  He’s left several aspiring kids rot on the bench to squeak out 5 meaningless wins to try and look like the team is making progress when in reality, it’s setting this franchise back to the Kotite era. If McClown didn’t get hurt, Petty wouldn’t have seen the light of day either this year.  His decision to not play Hack goes both ways. I mean Bowles hasn’t coached in the last 3 so it’s kind of a wash. ??‍♂️

Bowles only played that rookie TE Neal Sterling today because ASJ was unable to play & the kid showed something... imagine if he played earlier in the year who knows what he may have become...  bowles has ZERO ability to see talent... HE IS Detrimental to the development of the young talent on the team, that's the Main reason he should have been let go....  nuff said.

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Bowles only played that rookie TE Neal Sterling today because ASJ was unable to play & the kid showed something... imagine if he played earlier in the year who knows what he may have become...  bowles has ZERO ability to see talent... HE IS Detrimental to the development of the young talent on the team, that's the Main reason he should have been let go....  nuff said.

Bowles coaches scared, he is a coward. He should be fired after this comment.

We don’t know if he can or can’t,’’ Bowles said.

It’s not as if the Jets needed to see more of Bryce Petty at quarterback as they evaluate their murky future at quarterback, because let’s be perfectly honest: Petty, who’s 0-3 as a starter this year and 1-6 in his career, is not a part of the Jets’ future quarterback plans.

7 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Well said. Is it any surprise this kid Sterling had such good chemistry with Petty? I mean they must know each other well since neither gets any real reps with the 1st or 2nd team. As bad as Petty was Sunday, he also made some really nice throws and Sterling was his main guy. Imagine if Petty and Hack were allowed to start, develop and play the entire year. What would have been the harm in it. 

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

Well said. Is it any surprise this kid Sterling had such good chemistry with Petty? I mean they must know each other well since neither gets any real reps with the 1st or 2nd team. As bad as Petty was Sunday, he also made some really nice throws and Sterling was his main guy. Imagine if Petty and Hack were allowed to start, develop and play the entire year. What would have been the harm in it. 

WoW... Imagine a rookie being ALLOWED to play & DEVELOP...  an art LOST on Coach Bowles  :/

26 minutes ago, BigO said:

so we keep all of our TEs: Enunwa, ASJ, Tomlinson, Sterling, and rookie Leggitt and make our offence look like the Chiefs? (did anyone say sign or trade for QB A Smith?)
do we let ASJ walk?
do Tomlinson or Sterling have any trade value?

This article is harsh and whatnot, and Hackenberg and Petty may legitimately be awful, but agents remember how their clients were handled by certain teams and coaches, and will respond accordingly. If you’re the agent for a Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, etc, you do not let your client get drafted by the Jets, because it’s malfeasance. The message is, your young QB isn’t going to get a chance here, and he’s going to get broadsided by the coaching if he does end up in a game. 

Hack requires patience and Bowles is giving him plenty.  Smart idea would have been to wait to sign him after his first contract like the profile states.  Odds are pretty low he can even earn a backup job.

Christian Hackenberg   QB   Penn St

STRENGTHS
Christian has the size and arm strength of the prototypical NFL quarterback that teams love to see come into the league. He shows on film the velocity and touch to make all the throws and, when given the time in a clean pocket, he has good mechanics. Christian is a passionate football player who wants to win and shows some leadership skills. He looks on film to be a good teammate and works well with his coaching staff. He reminds me a lot of Christian Ponder (see Archives) and although most teams thought very highly of him in the 2011 Draft, Ponder struggles at the NFL level. 

CONCERNS
Christian Hackenberg has a big problem: he’s the type of quarterback who can’t see the forest for the trees. He struggles to make decisions quickly, locks on receivers, tries to stick the ball into coverage and has no pre-snap instincts to read mismatches. Add to that, not going to his check downs quickly enough and looking for the big play over the top when receivers and tight ends are running free right in front of his eyes and you have a quarterback that is shell shocked. He’s shell shocked because of a poor offensive line and from Christian not making quick decisions and poor decisions. Christian also struggles to slide or leave the pocket on time to extend plays. Most of this can be overcome with better coaching, but it will take time. 

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 4
Christian has a lot of talent to work with and if he understands that and has a good work ethic, he can become a starting quarterback in the NFL. The problem for him is mostly in poor decision making and a lack of football instincts. It is true that he did not have a very good offensive line in front of him this year. It is also true that Christian did nothing to help out that offensive line with intelligent pre-snap reads and taking what a defense would give him. His best play this year was throwing out to the sidelines behind the line of scrimmage. Getting rid of the ball vertically and making good decisions that would allow his offensive lineman to get some confidence when pass blocking never really happened all year long. Looking like the prototypical quarterback is all well and good, but at some point you have to produce, lead and adjust to adverse situations to be considered more than just looking like one. For me personally, I would let someone else select Christian and do all the work and see where he is at after his first contract is up. But that’s just me and I’m sure others will think otherwise because he does LOOK like the prototypical NFL quarterback.

Drew Boylhart  JAN.2016

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This article is harsh and whatnot, and Hackenberg and Petty may legitimately be awful, but agents remember how their clients were handled by certain teams and coaches, and will respond accordingly. If you’re the agent for a Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, etc, you do not let your client get drafted by the Jets, because it’s malfeasance. The message is, your young QB isn’t going to get a chance here, and he’s going to get broadsided by the coaching if he does end up in a game. 

I think they already see the obvious issue if you are a qb. jets HC is former DC, jets only draft and invest in D. 

i ignore any criticism the NY Post has to offer on the jets. they are so blatantly anti-jets. they are the opposite of how to read anything through the rose colored glasses on newyorkjets.com. 

imo, a certain disgruntled reporter from the Post, upset that his best and hard-cultivated inside source to the jets locker room was cut in the veteran purge, started the vicious rumor that the jets were tanking for an 0-16 season - the rumor that was picked up and ran with by the national media during the preseason. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

While I would have played Hack, what the hell is a series or two going to tell us? Bowles provided his answer, they both suck.  Petty had a strong preseason to which most on this board were demanding that he be the starter. In the regular season against real competition he was not good. The bottomline is that next season's starting QB is not yet on our roster. Lets not make a federal case that Hackenberg didn't get a series in the season finale.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

While I would have played Hack, what the hell is a series or two going to tell us? Bowles provided his answer, they both suck.  Petty had a strong preseason to which most on this board was demanding that he be the starter. In the regular season against real competition he was not good. The bottomline is that next season's starting QB is not yet on our roster. Lets not make a federal case that Hackenberg didn't get a series in the season finale.

I don’t think it’s a federal case to conclude that the Todd Bowles Jets have no desire or ability to handle young QBs.

This "who won the job in training camp" sh*t is priceless.  Bowles coud not see that Petty is useless before now?  Why not confirm that Hack is useless?  I have never thought of switchinag teams and I won't. But I can no longer stand the ownership of the Mets and Jets.  I may stop caring.  Hell, even Dolan is better than they are.

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think it’s a federal case to conclude that the Todd Bowles Jets have no desire or ability to handle young QBs.

Maybe the young QBs aren’t too talented. He certainly gets the most out of vet QBs. Both Fitz and McCown had their best seasons with him. 

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Maybe the young QBs aren’t too talented. He certainly gets the most out of vet QBs. Both Fitz and McCown had their best seasons with him. 

To similar ends. The QB position is about to be vacated. Literally, there will be no QBs under contract here in a few weeks. 

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Maybe it's the fact that Fitz, had Gailey who coached him for years in Buf, and McCown just got lucky with Morton....

34 minutes ago, jack48 said:

This "who won the job in training camp" sh*t is priceless.  Bowles coud not see that Petty is useless before now?  Why not confirm that Hack is useless?  I have never thought of switchinag teams and I won't. But I can no longer stand the ownership of the Mets and Jets.  I may stop caring.  Hell, even Dolan is better than they are.

Right there with you brother, can’t stand smug Alderson too. I can handle jets not being good , but can’t stand a coward like bowles

There is no point or gain in cutting Hack. He s under contract and cheap and we have two more years to wait and see at low cost.

And I doubt the Jets can or want to have to find three new QBs in one offseason.

Petty will be cut. He had chances and, nice kid or not, did less than nothing.

But Hack will be back I wager.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fact: The guy has practiced every day for two years without once squawking publicly about lack of playing time. Bowles and the coaching staff owed it to Hackenberg to get him in the game — even if they’re convinced he’ll never be good enough to play for them in a game of any importance.

Bowles, when asked about playing Hackenberg, again clung to the fact Petty won the No. 2 job over Hackenberg and he felt it was only fair to Petty to give him these three starts after Josh McCown was lost for the season with a broken hand.

Bowles owes NOTHING to a professional athlete.  I don't care how hard you work - If Hack isn't good enough to see the field he should't play - hard work doesn't earn you anything.  Nor should he play someone just because the fan base wants to see them.

With that said - Hack should NOT be on the team next year - If he is - Bowles/Mac are everything terrible everyone is saying about them.  It should have been very clear to anyone watching that Petty isn't the future - not even back-up level talent.  If Hack is worse, has no place on an NFL roster.

What does worry me about Bowles is a couple of statements he made..

If Bowles really said we don't know if he is or isn't - is simply ridiculous.  I hope he didn't mean that.

Also, the idea that Petty won the battle in the spring therefor he's "earned" the time - again, these are professional athletes - no one owes anything to anyone.  You play until someone else better comes along

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

I thought ASJ was a young player?

You want the Jets head coach to play young players instead of better young players? Come on now...there's a lot to complain about Bowles but let's not start trying to find things when they don't exist.

We have NO idea how he's developing young talent only to say that it's been pretty good with much of the youth on defense.

He was handed two crappy drafted young QB's.  I'm not sure what anyone expected him to do with that.

You could put Petty with Brady, Belli, Walsh, Montana and anyone you want to coach him - he's terrible and that's not going to change.  By most accounts Hack is even worse.  I just don't know what people expect him to do with that.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bowles owes NOTHING to a professional athlete.  I don't care how hard you work - If Hack isn't good enough to see the field he should't play - hard work doesn't earn you anything.  Nor should he play someone just because the fan base wants to see them.

With that said - Hack should NOT be on the team next year - If he is - Bowles/Mac are everything terrible everyone is saying about them.  It should have been very clear to anyone watching that Petty isn't the future - not even back-up level talent.  If Hack is worse, has no place on an NFL roster.

What does worry me about Bowles is a couple of statements he made..

If Bowles really said we don't know if he is or isn't - is simply ridiculous.  I hope he didn't mean that.

Also, the idea that Petty won the battle in the spring therefor he's "earned" the time - again, these are professional athletes - no one owes anything to anyone.  You play until someone else better comes along

Have you seen Petty? could Hack really be worse than him?  he should have gotten a look at hack whether he wanted to or not.  Bowles doesn't play to win so he can't use the "he gives us the best chance to win" line. Hack may never be a starter but he could have shown some traits that he can be a backup in this league and he never got a chance to show it but all we here is how great he is doing in practice. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Have you seen Petty? could Hack really be worse than him?  he should have gotten a look at hack whether he wanted to or not.  Bowles doesn't play to win so he can't use the "he gives us the best chance to win" line. Hack may never be a starter but he could have shown some traits that he can be a backup in this league and he never got a chance to show it but all we here is how great he is doing in practice. 

I just could never understand the logic that fans think they need to see a guy for the coach to determine if he's any good.

and Yes, I've seen Petty plan and that's my point - by all accounts in the organization Hack is worse.  And if that's the case then he has NO right ever being on an NFL football field.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no point or gain in cutting Hack. He s under contract and cheap and we have two more years to wait and see at low cost.

And I doubt the Jets can or want to have to find three new QBs in one offseason.

McCown is definitely coming back 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just could never understand the logic that fans think they need to see a guy for the coach to determine if he's any good.

and Yes, I've seen Petty plan and that's my point - by all accounts in the organization Hack is worse.  And if that's the case then he has NO right ever being on an NFL football field.

I get it, they see him in practice every day but some guys are bad practice guys and can play on gameday.  The season was lost months ago. McCown got hurt a month ago.  Petty was awful, there was no reason not to take a look at hack.  I don't care how bad they think hack is, we scored 13 points TOTAL the last 2 weeks and our only TD was a long run by Powell which Petty had nothing to do w/(unless you think he is great at handing the ball off).

to make it worse all the talk out of Florham Park was how great Hack has looked in practice and how he has improved. 

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Hack is really this bad then you absolutely cut him...

1) He takes up a roster spot - cheap or not

2) and most importantly - he's obviously a major distraction.  Bring in someone else's cheap, crappy, busted draft pick if you really want some line like that.

Archived