An interesting WHAT IF scenario to the draft.

CanadaSteve

What happens if BOTH Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen decide to stay in school?

Rosen is only a junior who has already said he doesn't want to play for Cleveland.

Darnold did not have a great season, and did not play well during the Cotton Bowl. 

Both could decide to come back for one more year. 

IF they were to both stay in school, would it change your draft philosophy, given that Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson could potentially be gone by the time we pick at 6?

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

What happens if BOTH Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen decide to stay in school?

Rosen is only a junior who has already said he doesn't want to play for Cleveland.

Darnold did not have a great season, and did not play well during the Cotton Bowl. 

Both could decide to come back for one more year. 

IF they were to both stay in school, would it change your draft philosophy, given that Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson could potentially be gone by the time we pick at 6?

Seriously? Nobody is wasting a top 5 pick on this guy. He could use 5 more years in school.

If they both stay in school I could see Cleveland trading that first pick and going after a QB in FA. Bridgewater would be my guess. Then if you keep both picks OL and RB would be my guess for them. In fact I could see most of the QB needy teams dipping into the FA well. The Giants probably go after Mayfield though but if both guys stay in it will upset the apple cart on draft day. I think Rosen goes and Darnold stays.

Darnold should stay in school but who-the-hell-knows what he will decide in the next two week. Rosen is going to come out, I guarantee it. He may well refuse to go to Cleveland, forcing his way onto the Giants to back up Eli for a year or two.

I like Mayfield but I can't see him going top three. The Browns might take him with their second pick at four but if they don't I could see both the Broncos and the Jets passing on him because of the risk factor.

The Jets/McCagnan are conservative drafters, strong defense... ball control offense. I could see them picking the Wyoming qb if they had not already f*cked up with an inaccurate second round pick qb who also looks the part physically but can't hit the ocean.

Mayfield with his personality and his physical stature seems wildly un-Jetlike for our exciting visionaries in the Jets front office.

My guess is Josh Allen, Mayfield will be drafted 11,12,13 or 15. Miami, Cinncinati, Washington (If Cousins leaves) or Arizona. Lamar Jackson could also go in that range or maybe later on to Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Darnold should stay in school but who-the-hell-knows what he will decide in the next two week. Rosen is going to come out, I guarantee it. He may well refuse to go to Cleveland, forcing his way onto the Giants to back up Eli for a year or two.

I like Mayfield but I can't see him going top three. I could see both the Broncos and the Jets passing on him at 4 and 5 because of the risk factor.

The Jets/McCagnan are conservative drafters, strong defense... ball control offense. I could see them picking the Wyoming qb if they had not already f*cked up with an inaccurate second round pick qb that also looks the part physically but can't hit the ocean.

Mayfield with his personality and his physical stature seems wildly un-Jetlike for our exciting front office.

If they pass on Mayfield..IM DONE with Mac. And I’m a huge supporter.

that said..the mission is FQB..we ain’t passing. Don’t care about usual trends.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If they pass on Mayfield..IM DONE with Mac. And I’m a huge supporter.

that said..the mission is FQB..we ain’t passing. Don’t care about usual trends.

I want to see what Mayfied does but I agree. Either they sign a long term deal for a QB or they draft one

What's the deadline for players to declare? I can't see Rosen and Darnold not coming out. They are considered top 3 picks. It's hard to get your stock any higher than that. Especially for Darnold who is coming off a down year. He's taking a gamble if he goes back to school and has another sub par season IMO.

Barkley made that mistake a few years ago if I remember correctly. He cost himself financially. 

15 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What's the deadline for players to declare? I can't see Rosen and Darnold not coming out. They are considered top 3 picks. It's hard to get your stock any higher than that. Especially for Darnold who is coming off a down here. He's taking a gamble if he goes back to school and has another sub par season IMO.

Barkley made that mistake a few years ago if I remember correctly. He cost himself financially. 

leinart did it too.  is he even in the league?  imo the kalifornia qb's, especially those from usc, have extremely great lives so that the attraction of the nfl is dinimshed.

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Darnold did not have a great season

This is fallacy, because Darnold struggled in the first few games (with a new offense, and a full compliment of new skill position players to throw to) of the season when everyone was like oh man I gotta check this guy out, and then insta judged him that he sucks, and had a bad year, but the guys who actually pay attention to the whole body of Work not just the media driven sheep kept watching him, and watched him have a fantastic season as it went on, yes in the bowl game, and the ND game he played poorly, but that’s not all on him in both games USC gotta physically DOMINATED up front at the line of scrimmage, and no QB would have stood a chance in those games.

19 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I don't think he is.  He's still behind Rosen and Darnold for me.

Rosen? Yes. Rosen is very mechinally clean and plays under center. He’s the safest QB in a long time. Darnold is very exciting and makes great throws but with all of these turnovers..he might go back to school and polish up once more. Is he better? At this point..Dunno..but I truely feel like Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield all 3 can be great in the NFL

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Seriously? Nobody is wasting a top 5 pick on this guy. He could use 5 more years in school.

Seriously back?

If you lose Rosen and Darnold, Jackson automatically becomes one of the top three QB's in the draft.  I didn't say you had to agree, but the fact is he would be. 

25 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This is fallacy, because Darnold struggled in the first few games (with a new offense, and a full compliment of new skill position players to throw to) of the season when everyone was like oh man I gotta check this guy out, and then insta judged him that he sucks, and had a bad year, but the guys who actually pay attention to the whole body of Work not just the media driven sheep kept watching him, and watched him have a fantastic season as it went on, yes in the bowl game, and the ND game he played poorly, but that’s not all on him in both games USC gotta physically DOMINATED up front at the line of scrimmage, and no QB would have stood a chance in those games.

If by fallacy you mean its true, then yes, it is a fallacy.

I watched more college football than I ever have this year, and he did not look like the consensus number 1-will change the face of a franchise QB that everyone keeps saying he is.

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they both stay in school I could see Cleveland trading that first pick and going after a QB in FA. Bridgewater would be my guess. Then if you keep both picks OL and RB would be my guess for them. In fact I could see most of the QB needy teams dipping into the FA well. The Giants probably go after Mayfield though but if both guys stay in it will upset the apple cart on draft day. I think Rosen goes and Darnold stays.

Is it possible?  YES.

Probable? No.  I think 1 of the 2 staying is possible though.  It's a tough call....Rosen doesn't want to play in Cleveland, so it would make sense for him to go back to school.  But Darnold did not dominate like many suggested he would.  That said, if the word on the street is he will either go 1 or 2, why wouldn't you still come out?  Unless of course he thinks/is advised that another year in College would do him well....

Maybe Mark Sanchez would have a word with him as a former USC QB about coming out early! :)

Archived