An interesting WHAT IF scenario to the draft.

CanadaSteve

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

@Lupz27 ..you want LAMAR JACKSON. Besides height what does Mayfield do different? That’s the biggest bash on Baker is the spread concep QB play. Let’s talk it out.

Mayfield CAN’T, and never will be able to throw the ball outside the numbers from the pocket in the NFL, he also plays behind the best offensive line in college football, and you guys saying he is extending plays look at how great he is escaping the pressure is completely wrong, he has happy feet, and is NOT comfortable in the pocket at all, and can’t wait to get out of it, and when he does “extend plays outside the pocket” it’s utter stupidity because there was no reason to leave the pocket so quickly he was feeling perceived pressure that is non existent, and bails way to quickly because he plays with the best OL, some of the best skill position players in college, and vs the worst defenses in all of college football week in, and week out.  This sh*t he pulls won’t fly in the NFL he will be the most sacked QB in the league by a large margin if he tries to play like this in the NFL, NFL defensive players are not Big 12 defensive players.  And then when he try’s to stay in the pocket, and forces weak throws late outside the numbers the pick 6’s will add up very quickly.  Mayfield does not have the arm strength of Jackson, he does not have the athleticism of Jackson, he does not have the elusiveness of Jackson, and he sure as hell doesn’t have the speed of Jackson, Jackson will run in the 4.4 range at the combine IF he decides to run there, or it will come at his Pro day.  

Also Mayfield will be the 3rd best NFL prospect at the QB position in today’s game alone behind Jake Fromm, and an injured Jacob Eason (neither are draft eligible until 2020 thou).

Roquan Smith remember the name I have a feeling Mr. Mayfield won’t forget it after today for a long time.

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Rosen? Yes. Rosen is very mechinally clean and plays under center. He’s the safest QB in a long time. Darnold is very exciting and makes great throws but with all of these turnovers..he might go back to school and polish up once more. Is he better? At this point..Dunno..but I truely feel like Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield all 3 can be great in the NFL

Doesn't it bother you though that there have been multiple reports that this guys teammates can't stand him?

That to me is a HUGE red flag. 

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

If by fallacy you mean its true, then yes, it is a fallacy.

I watched more college football than I ever have this year, and he did not look like the consensus number 1-will change the face of a franchise QB that everyone keeps saying he is.

So basically you never really watched college football before, but because this year you decided to watch more then you ever have you must be the guy to ask about who is gonna be good in the NFL not ******* college.  Do yourself a favor STOP watching college football to form an opinion on QB’s, and just watch it for the games themselves as you don’t really have a clue as to what a good QB season looks like apparently, or can distinguish how a college QB’s skill set will translate on the NFL level.

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Doesn't it bother you though that there have been multiple reports that this guys teammates can't stand him?

That to me is a HUGE red flag. 

I have also seen multiple reports where they love him. I don’t get caught up in that when there conflicting stories. Not worth it.

What about the option of signing a guy like Alex Smith to a 2-3 year contract, and drafting someone like Mason Rudolph, Ryan Findley, Luke Falk, Josh Allen, Riley Ferguson, etc...

I am not saying I agree, but it is another way to go.  Does a Jet team somehow landing Josh Rosen, but giving up a 2nd this year and a 1st next year look better than Alex Smith, Harold Landry/Bradley Chubb (our 1st pick), and then drafting a Mason Rudolph/Luke Falk and landing Frank Ragnow with our 2 2nd round picks?

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So basically you never really watched college football before, but because this year you decided to watch more then you ever have you must be the guy to ask about who is gonna be good in the NFL not ******* college.  Do yourself a favor STOP watching college football to form an opinion on QB’s, and just watch it for the games themselves as you don’t really have a clue as to what a good QB season looks like apparently, or can distinguish how a college QB’s skill set will translate on the NFL level.

Didn't say that at all.

I said I watched MORE college football than I ever did this year.  And yeah, I'm the only guy in the world who thinks Sam Darnold didn't do much to cement his legacy as a HOF QB before entering the draft.

OH NO....Wait, I'm not. 

Very unlikely because then they both are in the same boat next year and it's pretty rare for a team like the giants to be at #2

It's probably more likely we get the same scenario as when Eli came out, the Browns draft a QB and dangle him in front of the giants. 

Dorsey should be telling every media outlet that will listen about his plans to build an offensive line and go after weapons for his QB that gets to play for respected QB development head coach 

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I have also seen multiple reports where they love him. I don’t get caught up in that when there conflicting stories. Not worth it.

I've seen some mock drafts where Rosen falls to the Jets at 6.  Believe me, I would be happy with it....I just would be worried that the wrong set of those reports would be true.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Mayfield CAN’T, and never will be able to throw the ball outside the numbers from the pocket in the NFL, he also plays behind the best offensive line in college football, and you guys saying he is extending plays look at how great he is escaping the pressure is completely wrong, he has happy feet, and is NOT comfortable in the pocket at all, and can’t wait to get out of it, and when he does “extend plays outside the pocket” it’s utter stupidity because there was no reason to leave the pocket so quickly he was feeling perceived pressure that is non existent, and bails way to quickly because he plays with the best OL, some of the best skill position players in college, and vs the worst defenses in all of college football week in, and week out.  This sh*t he pulls won’t fly in the NFL he will be the most sacked QB in the league by a large margin if he tries to play like this in the NFL, NFL defensive players are not Big 12 defensive players.  And then when he try’s to stay in the pocket, and forces weak throws late outside the numbers the pick 6’s will add up very quickly.  Mayfield does not have the arm strength of Jackson, he does not have the athleticism of Jackson, he does not have the elusiveness of Jackson, and he sure as hell doesn’t have the speed of Jackson, Jackson will run in the 4.4 range at the combine IF he decides to run there, or it will come at his Pro day.  

Also Mayfield will be the 3rd best NFL prospect at the QB position in today’s game alone behind Jake Fromm, and an injured Jacob Eason (neither are draft eligible until 2020 thou).

Roquan Smith remember the name I have a feeling Mr. Mayfield won’t forget it after today for a long time.

Don’t agree at all. He can sling it from the pocket. He has good pocket presence. Agree that he does get happy feet every once in awhile..seen it against OSU a few times. But I also seen him tear their Defense up. I see him throw from different angles and I see him out arc on his deep throws. Arm strength isn’t great but it isn’t bad. Feel like you are exaggerating a lot in your criticism of him. He is accurate and CAN throw outside the hashes. He needs to refine his technique and the way he steps into throws though. I’m not saying he is a perfect prospect but he does do things very well and can build off of it. He DOES go through progression and he DOES make good decisions. Typically with Jackson you see a lot of quick release, YAC designed plays. That’s just how Louisville is. Jackson is super athletic. That said he isn’t going to be able to go through progressions with the same ease. I don’t like Jackson’s skill set as far as it transcending the pro level. I have seen many time where Baker’s pocket DOES break down and he makes in and out with ease so idk what you are seeing. He keep his head down field when he wants to..seen him tuck and run a little more than I like but he is a pass first guy..not Jackson.

Just now, Larz said:

Very unlikely because then they both are in the same boat next year and it's pretty rare for a team like the giants to be at #2

It's probably more likely we get the same scenario as when Eli came out, the Browns draft a QB and dangle him in front of the giants. 

Dorsey should be telling every media outlet that will listen about his plans to build an offensive line and go after weapons for his QB that gets to play for respected QB development head coach 

Good point.  Dorsey knows his stuff.  If he brings in a vet, and then looks to draft another developmental QB, he could dangle #1, draft Rosen and dangle him, Take Barkley.  Imagine if the Browns got ahold of Bradley Chubb and paired him with Myles Garrett....yikes.

24 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Not really important but Eason is eligible in 2019.  But he'd have to have the monster year of all monster years next season to be a top pick.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Good point.  Dorsey knows his stuff.  If he brings in a vet, and then looks to draft another developmental QB, he could dangle #1, draft Rosen and dangle him, Take Barkley.  Imagine if the Browns got ahold of Bradley Chubb and paired him with Myles Garrett....yikes.

CLE can't ignore OL.  They should be thinking one of the OTs in those first two picks.  So, for example, they could drop back from #1 to...oh #6 and take one of the top OLs (Williams or McGlinchey I guess) there after grabbing Barkley at 4.  if Dorsey isn't completely sold on any of the QBs, he should sign Cousins or one of the MIN QBs and watch the feeding frenzy begin.  

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Didn't say that at all.

I said I watched MORE college football than I ever did this year.  And yeah, I'm the only guy in the world who thinks Sam Darnold didn't do much to cement his legacy as a HOF QB before entering the draft.

OH NO....Wait, I'm not. 

As far as the people who matter you know the guys who actually work for the NFL teams picking in the top 5 of the draft you are the only guy who thinks that he has not cemented his legacy as a top pick in the draft because guess what IF he declares he is going top 3 most likely 1st overall regardless of what the media tells you sheep, it’s unbelievable how many of you hang on every word, and opinion these guys have, they talk out of both sides of their mouth to generate ratings, one guy “hands down Darnold is the #1 overall pick if I’m making the selection” 2nd analysts (raises voice to an obnoxious level to make it seem like he is really aggravated to help generate better ratings) are you kidding me this kid (insert all the things that happened early in the year, and vs ND, and this bowl game) shouldn’t even enter the draft he needs to go back to school never mind being crazy enough to draft him first overall!

Yet like yours, and my opinions none of this actually matters, see the real guys making the decisions are going to take Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen #1, and #2 in this upcoming draft if both declare, and no crazy character defamation info comes out, or injury between now, and the draft so there is no point in arguing over this. Like it, or not it’s the truth start accepting it.

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not really important but Eason is eligible in 2019.  But he'd have to have the monster year of all monster years next season to be a top pick.

Sorry when I said eligible I meant realistically declaring for the draft.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What happens if BOTH Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen decide to stay in school?

Rosen is only a junior who has already said he doesn't want to play for Cleveland.

Darnold did not have a great season, and did not play well during the Cotton Bowl. 

Both could decide to come back for one more year. 

IF they were to both stay in school, would it change your draft philosophy, given that Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson could potentially be gone by the time we pick at 6?

It is good to discuss because it is a fun scenario. I just don't see it happening. They are both slated to be top 5 picks. Darnold would benefit from another year but the injury risk is too big. He would lose millions.

Plus with the NFL rookie pool the sooner a QB gets through the rookie contract, the sooner they get to that second contract. Delaying it a year costs them as well (assuming they don't suck lol).

But if one of them stayed in, the other one would potentially be worth even more. Either way they are both going top 5 so I they will both declare.

It is good that the date to declare is early...so at least it doesn't drag on long.

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Even without this scenario, I'm starting to think we are going to overpay for Cousins.

Better that, than cheaping out, missing on a draft pick and having McCown as our starting QB for another year.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

My 12 year old nephew noticed his happy feet on most plays.

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

As far as the people who matter you know the guys who actually work for the NFL teams picking in the top 5 of the draft you are the only guy who thinks that he has not cemented his legacy as a top pick in the draft because guess what IF he declares he is going top 3 most likely 1st overall regardless of what the media tells you sheep, it’s unbelievable how many of you hang on every word, and opinion these guys have, they talk out of both sides of their mouth to generate ratings, one guy “hands down Darnold is the #1 overall pick if I’m making the selection” 2nd analysts (raises voice to an obnoxious level to make it seem like he is really aggravated to help generate better ratings) are you kidding me this kid (insert all the things that happened early in the year, and vs ND, and this bowl game) shouldn’t even enter the draft he needs to go back to school never mind being crazy enough to draft him first overall!

Yet like yours, and my opinions none of this actually matters, see the real guys making the decisions are going to take Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen #1, and #2 in this upcoming draft if both declare, and no crazy character defamation info comes out, or injury between now, and the draft so there is no point in arguing over this. Like it, or not it’s the truth start accepting it.

image.png

Its a message board full of opinions dude....

Archived