Arians has decided to retire

Kleckineau

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruce-arians-retires-coach-arizona-cardinals-182318599.html

Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, one of the straightest shooters in the NFL’s coaching ranks, is retiring. He confirmed reports in a tearful press conference on Monday.

“It’s been a great ride,” Arians said.

The 65-year old is the winningest coach in Cardinals history and got his 50th win with Arizona on Sunday when the team beat the Seahawks in Seattle, in a game the Seahawks had to win for a playoff berth.

------------------------------------------------------

Or was he given the option to retire vs. getting canned?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And we rushed to 'lock up' todd bowles.  As i said in another thread, this off season is worst case scenario.

Him being locked up makes him more attractive for Arizona to trade for him they won’t have to negotiate the extension themselves, Bowles would not be coaching on a lame duck contract for Arizona if they traded for him they would have extended him as soon as the trade was final, so don’t be surprised if there is rumblings of a Bowles to Arizona talk from the so called NFL insiders the next week, or so.  Now if they are true, or serious is another thing.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Him being locked up makes him more attractive for Arizona to trade for him they won’t have to negotiate the extension themselves, Bowles would not be coaching on a lame duck contract for Arizona if they traded for him they would have extended him as soon as the trade was final, so don’t be surprised if there is rumblings of a Bowles to Arizona talk from the so called NFL insiders the next week, or so.  Now if they are true, or serious is another thing.

One can Only Hope.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

No, locked up means woody junior really thinks this guy is a great coach and if mac told him we could get a 2nd rounder for bowles he would decline.

18 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Maybe Arians would accept a "consigliere" type roll for his buddy Bowles. I can see that happening.

Problem is, Arians best success has come in the form of him having a relationship coaching his QB.

Not sure if he’s got the chops for org mgmt.

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751158-report-cardinals-could-target-todd-bowles-as-hc-if-bruce-arians-retires

https://nypost.com/2017/12/26/why-cardinals-are-the-wild-card-of-todd-bowles-jets-future/

Not only is Arians 65, he also revealed he had kidney surgery in February after doctors found renal cell carcinoma during an ultrasound. Arians also experienced a bout of diverticulitis during the 2016 preseason.

Ideally, Arians would stick around to help groom Palmer's replacement. Jared Goff's performance under Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay compared to former coach Jeff Fisher is a testament to how the right coach is instrumental to a young passer's progression.

That plan hinged on Arians wanting to stay while coaching what's likely to be a losing team.

Given both his age and health concerns, Arians' aversion to staying on for a multiyear rebuild is understandable, but it leaves the Cardinals in a difficult spot this offseason. In addition to identifying a potential successor for Palmer, Arizona will need to find one for Arians as well.

14 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Both of those articles came out before the extension for Bowles.  Despite all of the wishful thinking he isn’t going anywhere!

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don’t think it’s happening, but the extension means nothing to me

Arians and Bowles are good friends, my guess is that Bowles either knew Arians was retiring or that he was seriously considering it before Bowles signed.  The only way Bowles goes to Arizona now is through a trade and I don’t see Arizona giving anything of value for a sub .500 coach.

Just now, Joejet said:

Arians and Bowles are good friends, my guess is that Bowles either knew Arians was retiring or that he was seriously considering it before Bowles sighed.  The only way Bowles goes to Arizona now is through a trade and I don’t see Arizona giving anything of value for a sub .500 coach.

Never say never this is the NY Jets. 

Archived