Bowles will probably be more hands on with the offense next season

Maxman

From his season ending press conference today.

On saying before the season started that he wanted to be more involved in the offense …

I was a little more involved. It went pretty good. We had better communication and constant communication. Obviously, it’s different when you have an experienced coordinator to a first-time coordinator. The communication and the things you talk about are different every week, but we had open communication – me and John (Morton), me and all of the offensive coaches and I thought it went pretty smooth.

On if he would be less hands-on with the offense next season because John Morton would no longer be a first-year coordinator…

Probably more hands-on.

On why he would be more hands-on with the offense…

Just me growing as a coach and letting more of the defense go. It’s not so much the play-calling. It’s just the management parts of the game where you want to keep it balanced and you want to keep offense working with defense and defense working with offense. Sometimes the defense may go on a tangent or the offense may go on a tangent and you have to step in and say, “This is what we have to do to win the ball game. We have to do X, Y and Z compared to this over here.” That will limit some things from that standpoint, but it is never about play-calling. 

On if he looks at in-game things when he assess his coaching…

I look at a lot of in-games, not just our games. I look at all of our games and I look at other games that have impact in the last two minutes in particular and I look at certain parts of games that I try to gain experience from and knowledge from at those times.

Now the offense will really really suck. It’s bad enough we don’t have a legit starter, but Bowles, for all certainty, has already stated he wants McClown back. That pretty much cements any hope of a trade or signing a top FA  QB as the starter.  And even if they draft a prospect, you know Bowles won’t let him play over McClown.  

I miss the days when Rex would promise to be more involved in the offense, more of a head coach, and he’d have to work hard on himself every season, because ‘it’s on him’, and then do the same thing over again.

No really, I miss those days.

Those days. I’m not being sarcastic at all.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I miss the days when Rex would promise to be more involved in the offense, more of a head coach, and he’d have to work hard on himself every season, because ‘it’s on him’, and then do the same thing over again.

No really, I miss those days.

Those days. I’m not being sarcastic at all.

SAME SHEET, DIFFERENT DEFENSE FIRST HEAD COACH. Johnson ownership has forgotten everything and learned nothing. And that's how you give this Peter Principle incompetent an extension. 

WTF does this even mean??  Sheesh...

It’s just the management parts of the game where you want to keep it balanced and you want to keep offense working with defense and defense working with offense. Sometimes the defense may go on a tangent or the offense may go on a tangent and you have to step in and say, “This is what we have to do to win the ball game. We have to do X, Y and Z compared to this over here.” 

Extending Bowles and letting Morton walk.....maximum Jetsy.

Are we back to run, run, run, punt, ‘win’ with Defense?

A DB or another DLineman at pick 6 is looking even more likely if so.

F’sake.... announcements that Forte And McCown resigned inbound?

This team....

4 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It’s just the management parts of the game where you want to keep it balanced and you want to keep offense working with defense and defense working with offense. Sometimes the defense may go on a tangent or the offense may go on a tangent and you have to step in and say, “This is what we have to do to win the ball game. We have to do X, Y and Z compared to this over here.” 

Can't figure out if Bowles really believes this nonsense and he may be that big a dolt.  Or it's more chaff  thrown in management's direction to keep them off his ass in order to keep the long term job preservation program going. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's possible Morton was taking a shot at Bowles with his comments after the Broncos game. Get the feeling he's likely gone.

Interview and the ensuing comments would seem to suggest some frustration between Bowles and Morton, for sure. 

6 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It means “run the ball and kill the clock because I’m delusional about what my defense is capable of.”

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Interview and the ensuing comments would seem to suggest some frustration between Bowles and Morton, for sure. 

Morton is NOT an idiot, and probably realizes the NYJ and Bowles is a dead end street for him.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

In truth these types of posts and comments from the Jets HC drain me as a fan.  ST Louis rams offense is a problem now?  We don't run enough, cause Forte is complaining?  Well Forte was complaining with Gailey as well!

Morton held back McCown who had his greatest season EVER?????

This is nonsense, and if true IMO is emblematic of a coach who is arrogant to a fault.

Bowels is NOT an OC.... 

I will stop here....

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Bowles wants the record for shortest field position to punt.  he will literally punt from the 30 yard line .... you wait.   He will do It. 

Bowles saved me a LOT of money this year....  I watched maybe small parts of 3 games. 

Me too. Tired of my kishkas getting excoriated.

41 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

68716183bbbd59631f4246205160c41dd89c120b

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Unfortunately, I agree .

Morton KNOWS he did more than expected with an extremely limited offense this season...this season as OC for the Jets in all probability could, and should, net him a job elsewhere in the NFL.  For a franchise that isn't as dysfunctional with a lame duck defensively oriented HC who's just been extended after back-to back 5-11 seasons and is making 'noise' to be 'more involved' in the offense.

Good times.

Archived