Baker Mayfield

southtown24th

He will be there at 6. Right now he can still move up and would be a mid first rounder.

Love this kid. Not convinced he is going to be a great pro. I am 100% convinced he would be great to root for. His energy level is awesome.

To me if you draft him you better have a true veteran free agent (not McCown) in front of him.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are on ******* drugs. Mayfield and co. Just hung 45 on an SEC Defense in a game where the UGA D was oveewhelming the soft ass OU Big 12 OLine. Dude is a baller and a gamer, his arm and tgrowing motion is an absolute clone of Drew Brees and hes built thick like Russell Wilson. 

******* Gamer. If he was 6'2 hes tier 1 with Rosen, above Darnold

If he was 6'3 or taller, the Browns are LAUGHING at teams calling to inquire about a trade up.

But yeah, lets get Allen. Hes got the exact combination of "looks the part", sh*t accuracy, low Completion %, struggling at a lower level of competition, and "Aw shucks, yes ma'am' charm that will make him a perfect addition to the Jets sh*tfest of QBs selected since the 1980s. LOL. 

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It seemed like the coach took the ball out of his hands electing to run more than throw. Why is beyond me.

Because he forgot he was playing an SEC defense that was too fast, and that it was Baker ****in Mayfield that brought them there.

But good. If OU won and Mayfield hung 30+ on Bama or Clemson (which he would), he would never get to 6.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Nor should you be.

Last year's Rose Bowl game had people convinced for an entire year that Sam Darnold was the greatest player ever. That's just stupid to do. 

Are you stupid? LOL. Darnold had a magnificent game after a very good season. And then was OK this year. 

Baker Mayfield is essentially a 4 year starter who is accurate, smart, fearless, and has excellent mechanics and footwork. No windup delivery to fix. No decision making problems, and a ridiculous TD - INT ratio. Your comparison is like apples to machine guns. Nonsensical. 

Baker Mayfield College Passing stats:

Screenshot_2018-01-01-21-39-27-1.png

It depends on how FA goes but I don't think I'd trade up for Mayfield but I'd endorse taking him at 6. If some how Cousins goes to the Browns then I'd offer anything to move up to #1 for Darnold. I want us to sign a high upside FA QB like a McCarron/Bortles/Bridgewater/Keenum and take one of Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen at 6. I don't see 4 QBs going in the top 6. This is sort of my gut feeling at this point right now if Cousins goes to a team outside of Browns/Bills/Jets/Broncos:

Browns - Darnold

Giants - Rosen

Colts - Chubb

Browns - Barkley/Fitzpatrick/trade with Bills - Allen

Broncos - McGlinchey/Allen

Jets - Mayfield/Nelson/McGlinchey/Key

23 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Are you stupid? LOL. Darnold had a magnificent game after a very good season. And then was OK this year. 

Baker Mayfield is essentially a 4 year starter who is accurate, smart, fearless, and has excellent mechanics and footwork. No windup delivery to fix. No decision making problems, and a ridiculous TD - INT ratio. Your comparison is like apples to machine guns. Nonsensical. 

Stop being so reactionary and coming off as a jackass. Look at my avatar, I clearly support Mayfield. Look at the Mayfield thread that I started on him on this board 2 years ago before you even uttered a statline. 

You misunderstood my words, so let me give you an "in other words". Its not good to draw conclusions on a guy because of 1 game (in respects to the person I was responding to not being sold on Mayfield) because that's just as bad as overhyping Sam Darnold because of 1 Rose Bowl game last year. In otherwords, overhyping Darnold on one game is just as bad as over criticizing Mayfield because of 1 game. 

Relax and comprehend what is being said before you go full retard. Never go full retard. 

7wzX329.jpg

37 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Stop being so reactionary and coming off as a jackass. Look at my avatar, I clearly support Mayfield. Look at the Mayfield thread that I started on him on this board 2 years ago before you even uttered a statline. 

You misunderstood my words, so let me give you an "in other words". Its not good to draw conclusions on a guy because of 1 game (in respects to the person I was responding to not being sold on Mayfield) because that's just as bad as overhyping Sam Darnold because of 1 Rose Bowl game last year. In otherwords, overhyping Darnold on one game is just as bad as over criticizing Mayfield because of 1 game. 

Relax and comprehend what is being said before you go full retard. Never go full retard. 

7wzX329.jpg

This place is dull of retard. But way to go full douchebag. 

#Glennon or Bust...

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Did you watch a different game tonight then I did? His foot work was terrible.  His mechanics were terrible.  Almost every throw was off his back foot. I don’t remember a single throw he set his feet and ripped one.  He was not accurate over 15 years and missed a few easy throws.  

I don’t like that every play he looks at his coach for the adjustment to what the D is showing. I understand most college qbs can’t read a defense but that was a bad look. 

Look, the guy is a gamer who is fun to watch but I don’t see him being successful in the pros.  

I don't want any part of Mayfield, especially at the #6 pick.  He's NOT a top 10 pick.  I admire what he's done to go from walk-on to Heisman, but I just don't think his elite play translates to the NFL well at all.

If they want a QB in the draft, either trade up for Darnold or Rosen or trade back.  #6 is "no man's land" for a QB in this draft, with the possible exception of Josh Allen, but he's so speculative a prospect that it's hard to tell.

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Fwiw. Our last two first rounders (Jamal and Darron) have taken to Twitter today with strong endorsements of Mayfield.

I think he fits the mold of the personality we like to bring in but I'm not sure if Macc would select him because of his size. IMO he'd be the #1 pick if he were 6'3". I would love to root for him next year.

3 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

what about dak prescott as a comp. just occurred to me. might be a reasonable comparison.

Prescott is about .2 of a second faster in the 40, more elusive, at least 2" taller, and can set his feet, and throw the ball from the pocket, also doesn't do the I gotta take a piss dance on every drop back talk about happy feet my lord.

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This place is dull of retard. But way to go full douchebag. 

#Glennon or Bust...

Too late bro. You humbled yourself the 1st time you read my quote and didnt respond.

The Glennon comeback is just you being in your feelings now.

Yet another reason disregarding your existence on this website is the best decision lol. 

Have the last word bro and go back on your side of the forum. Ill just ignore the notification and go back to dismissing and overlooking you. 

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You guys are on ******* drugs. Mayfield and co. Just hung 45 on an SEC Defense in a game where the UGA D was oveewhelming the soft ass OU Big 12 OLine. Dude is a baller and a gamer, his arm and tgrowing motion is an absolute clone of Drew Brees and hes built thick like Russell Wilson. 

******* Gamer. If he was 6'2 hes tier 1 with Rosen, above Darnold

If he was 6'3 or taller, the Browns are LAUGHING at teams calling to inquire about a trade up.

But yeah, lets get Allen. Hes got the exact combination of "looks the part", sh*t accuracy, low Completion %, struggling at a lower level of competition, and "Aw shucks, yes ma'am' charm that will make him a perfect addition to the Jets sh*tfest of QBs selected since the 1980s. LOL. 

You nailed that, Mayfield all day!

Russell Wilson, Doug Flutie, and Drew Brees have all found success in this league being shorter in stature but were drafted in the later rounds.   All of the same qualities listed for Mayfield.  Whenever you see Draft Re-do's you always see that these guy's were eventually moved up in the first round based upon their play.

With that being said, if Mayfield is selected by the Jets at 6 based on the above logic, Offensive line help needs to be the priority 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Oklahoma's HC lost the game and Baker played well.  Mayfield would fit in perfect here with our special HC.  Too bad we only draft defense in the first round. 

Minka Fitzpatrick will be our pick.

l4bN_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Yes the Jets fans get "Munsoned" every year.

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I would have thought his stat line would have been bigger considering the score but still very respectable vs UGA - this game should not hurt his draft stock

23 of 35 (~65%) for 287 yards, 2TD and 1 Int 

I'd take that every week for the next 8-10 years for the Jets:D

11 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I would have thought his stat line would have been bigger considering the score but still very respectable vs UGA - this game should not hurt his draft stock

23 of 35 (~65%) for 287 yards, 2TD and 1 Int 

Interviews and the wonderlic test will be interesting...

Dan Marino wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box, but if he was in the Draft at 22 he'd be #1 taken.

5 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

For anyone who wonders about Mayfield's off the field maturity issues there is this...

http://newsok.com/how-a-little-girl-from-yukon-became-a-big-inspiration-to-baker-mayfield-and-the-sooners/article/5575865

this seems like a PR piece.  all teams do them.  for some players it means something.  they will be able to tell during the interviews.

9 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Did you watch a different game tonight then I did? His foot work was terrible.  His mechanics were terrible.  Almost every throw was off his back foot. I don’t remember a single throw he set his feet and ripped one.  He was not accurate over 15 years and missed a few easy throws.  

I don’t like that every play he looks at his coach for the adjustment to what the D is showing. I understand most college qbs can’t read a defense but that was a bad look. 

Look, the guy is a gamer who is fun to watch but I don’t see him being successful in the pros.  

Im a big Mayfield fan, and would love him to be our pick, but what you said is not incorrect.  His footwork vs UGA was not great and you are also correct that he doesnt call plays from a huddle.  

As for the footwork, while he does throw off his back foot, he is accurate as evidenced by his comp % over a huge sample size, but he sailed a few balls last night that he normally hits. However his ability to change his arm angle and also stay accurate is a rare quality and an area where he excels.

At the end of the day with him, I think his ability to see the field, and not panic when rushed is what will allow him to be successful in the NFL.  He will absolutely need a good QB coach and the personal discipline to master his footwork, which is what Brees did in order to maintain consistent accuracy in the pros.

I think he fits the ultra competitive mode that Mac was looking for in this past draft, and I would be thrilled to have him be our first round pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000901658/article/scouting-baker-mayfield-in-rose-bowl-qb-worthy-of-top15-pick

PASADENA, Calif. -- Baker Mayfield's college career is over, and I had a chance to scout the Heisman winner in person for his final game. Mayfield's Sooners came up a little short Monday in a back-and-forth double-overtime Rose Bowl loss against Georgia that will go down as a classic.

Coming into the game, I felt like Mayfield was well-positioned as a likely first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. However, I talked to a scout before the game who went a step further. He told me he'd be shocked if Mayfield isn't a top-15 pick.

Mayfield finished the night 23-of-35 for 287 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT (he also caught a TD pass). While it wasn't his best game, I'm sure of this much: Mayfield is going to be a starting-caliber QB in the NFL, and in a league with a bunch of teams looking for one, he's going to come off the board early.

Here are my takeaways from his performance Monday.

1. It was a tale of two halves for Mayfield. In the first half, you saw all the things you love about him. He showed the accuracy, mobility and energy that's led him to this point.

In the second half, Georgia was able to pressure him and things broke down a bit. He was picked off on an overthrow. He was hesitant on some other throws. The Bulldogs were able to rattle him.

2. One of the things that's a little underreported about Mayfield is he plays behind a great offensive line that for the majority of the season has kept him very clean. In fact, there are a few things that have helped make him great that weren't as helpful as usual in the second half. There were some questionable play calls and protection issues, as well. The security blanket was taken away and he didn't always do the best job of dealing with that adversity, although he did rebound late, bringing the Sooners back from a third-quarter deficit to tie the game and eventually take the lead, although it didn't hold.

3. Arm strength is not an issue for him at all. He has plenty of arm strength, but he needs to pull the trigger a little bit quicker. He wasn't holding the ball and waiting for someone to come open at times. He's not going to have very many clean throwing lanes once he gets to the next level. He has to let the ball go.

4. This game isn't the be all and end all for Mayfield.

I saw Jameis Winston get blown out here in Rose Bowl a few years ago, and he still went No. 1 overall in the 2015 NFL Draft. I don't think losing this game will have an impact on Mayfield. He's done more than enough to prove himself worthy of a first-round pick.

It wasn't a storybook ending for Mayfield, but there's still plenty to be excited about for him going into the next level.

5. After scouting him on Monday, I'll be surprised if he's not a top-15 pick, and I'll be stunned if he's not a first-round pick.

There will be good and worthy debates about Mayfield leading up to the draft, and some skeptics will point to his lack of size and off-field issues.

I believe he's accurate, a good decision maker and ultra-competitive -- those are three great traits in a league that's light on starting-caliber quarterbacks. Mayfield is worth the risk.

53 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im a big Mayfield fan, and would love him to be our pick, but what you said is not incorrect.  His footwork vs UGA was not great and you are also correct that he doesnt call plays from a huddle.  

As for the footwork, while he does throw off his back foot, he is accurate as evidenced by his comp % over a huge sample size, but he sailed a few balls last night that he normally hits. However his ability to change his arm angle and also stay accurate is a rare quality and an area where he excels.

At the end of the day with him, I think his ability to see the field, and not panic when rushed is what will allow him to be successful in the NFL.  He will absolutely need a good QB coach and the personal discipline to master his footwork, which is what Brees did in order to maintain consistent accuracy in the pros.

I think he fits the ultra competitive mode that Mac was looking for in this past draft, and I would be thrilled to have him be our first round pick

He did throw a lot off his back foot - but he had a lot of pressure coming up the middle...there was rarely a pocket for him to step into. 

What I did like seeing was him going through his progressions - it was impressive - it's just that in that second half NO ONE was open.  When seeing the replays there was simply nowhere to go with the ball.

Archived