Baker Mayfield

southtown24th

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gEYno said:

It seems rare that a QB would ever truly be the BAP.  They always get over drafted due to importance.  So, at some point, you'd have to assume he'll have to pull the trigger.  Can they really go with Rysh FitzCown and no realistic QB of the future for the 4th straight year?

EXACTLY.  Somehow, someway, Mac needs to deliver a blue chip QB this year.

19 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Unless he continues to get hurt...

Not why we avoided him, but whatevs.

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

First we likely passed on Mahomes and NOT Watson. Second he has like what 6 games of experience? Similar style QBs decided on fired and then dropped off a cliff when they figured him out. I see more potential in Mayfield.

That’s nice, I wasn’t comparing him to Mayfield.

19 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

With all due respect, what makes you guys so sure that this Watson kid will succeed, long term wise? Rg3 looked like a slam dunk after his first year. Injuries catch up to most run and gun QBs. If not injuries then NFL defensive coordinators ussually do.

Watson is better than RG3.

19 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Rutgers and Batesman are so going to pos rep you brah, sweet!!

I’m assuming this means something to you.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Mayfield to the Browns would absolutely make most draftniks lose their sh*t for days.

It would be just so Brownsian.

I hope it happens.

BM supposed to be brown no?

The Browns could do this with their second 1st round pick.  They could trade their first first round pick.  

Remember that the Browns drafted Manziel at the insistence of their owner.  He totally fell for Manziel's schtick.  

Not sold on him personally but I haven't seen alot of his play. Seems to do well throwing to wide open receivers but not very good threading the needle and passing in tight windows. Just my opinion seeing limited play. 

20 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Last night proved Mayfield doesn’t have “it.” His team quit on him once they realized the 19 YO true freshman had a stronger will and heart. 

Honestly guys it is looking like the best route this offseason is to lament passing on Watson last year or any other point in Jets history over the past 50 years. All the QB options are either unclutch or greedy or both. You have Cousins who could not will his way out of paper bag AND he wants to break Woody’s bank. Then Rosen proved his fear controls him by skipping the bowl game. Then Mayfield and Darnold get their asses handed to them and any fires in their bellies put out. sh*t is not looking good right now. 

LOL, what nonsense.  

19 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Did they win the game or lose the game? So he managed to compile another score at the end, big whoop. Compile is what he does best but it is not what wins games as was just demonstrated. 

You need to stop picking on people out here! :) 

Funny stuff though :) 

24 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Not sold on him personally but I haven't seen alot of his play. Seems to do well throwing to wide open receivers but not very good threading the needle and passing in tight windows. Just my opinion seeing limited play. 

For what it's worth, Mayfield goes through his professions so when he's throwing to a wide open receiver it's usually because he had to find that receiver. 

That should be taken into account. During your limited view did you see the kid go through his progression? If you did then that means that he found the right target to throw the ball to. That's very important for a qb....finding the right target.

Maybe he's not having to thread the needle on every play because he's picking the correct target's.

Just saying.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

For what it's worth, Mayfield goes through his professions so when he's throwing to a wide open receiver it's usually because he had to find that receiver. 

That should be taken into account. During your limited view did you see the kid go through his progression? If you did then that means that he found the right target to throw the ball to. That's very important for a qb....finding the right target.

Maybe he's not having to thread the needle on every play because he's picking the correct target's.

Just saying.

Does Mike Glennon go through his progressions?  :) 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Just saying.

Honestly, it sounds like Morton is already going to the Raiders and Bowles is going to replace him with one of his besties who’ll run the wing-t. If you like Mayfield and want him to succeed, you don’t want the Jets to draft him.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, it sounds like Morton is already going to the Raiders and Bowles is going to replace him with one of his besties who’ll run the wing-t. If you like Mayfield and want him to succeed, you don’t want the Jets to draft him.

Ok, this is news to me. Any idea of a potential OC as well as a qb in this draft that would fit this scheme?

Thanks Shane.

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Does Mike Glennon go through his progressions?  :) 

He does actually. Unfortunately for him he's never had a nfl caliber offensive line. Mix that with the fact that he cant scramble it tends not to end well. Give him an oline and he's a productive qb. Ive provided plenty of examples of him finding the right target while standing tall in the pocket. 

As a side note, all these organizations and fans are constantly concerned about their "franchise qb", maybe they should concern themselves with a franchise offensive line. This is how you can maximize the talent of any qb/rb behind them. 

Not every qb is or has to be Aaron Rodgers. That doesnt mean that many of these qb's cant play. Case Keenum is proving that right now.

23 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Just saying.

I've seen games where the analyst has pointed out that Mayfield identified the likely prime target based on the D alignment before the ball was snapped. The kid knows how to read college D's. He was not as successful at decoding the D coverage against Georgia, which is more like a pro D.

Regardless, while I would take his height (or lack or it) and success in a system that fosters success in every QB that plays in it, I would not bet against the kid. He won a Texas HS football championship, but with no big time offers, he chose to walk on at Texas Tech where he started the season opener (as a true freshman walk-on!) He was 5-0 with nearly 1,500 yards and an efficiency rating near 150. Then he was injured and upset he was not put back in as starter when he felt he was healthy enough to play. He became more upset when TT did not offer him a scholarship. Kliff Kingsbury says they did intend to offer a scholarship -- but , oddly, I guess they just did not get around to it. Anyway, feeling slighted by TT, he transferred to Oklahoma where he had to sit out a year. When eligible to play, he beat out Trevor Knight and set about proving all the nay sayers wrong becoming the first ever walk-on to win a Heisman.

The kids a winner. Doubters beware.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

He does actually. Unfortunately for him he's never had a nfl caliber offensive line. Mix that with the fact that he cant scramble it tends not to end well. Give him an oline and he's a productive qb. Ive provided plenty of examples of him finding the right target while standing tall in the pocket. 

As a side note, all these organizations and fans are constantly concerned about their "franchise qb", maybe they should concern themselves with a franchise offensive line. This is how you can maximize the talent of any qb/rb behind them. 

Glennon is too tall to be an effective NFL QB. Successful play at the QB position has height floor and ceiling. I read about this awhile ago. It has to do with the physical inability to have a quick release. They surmised that these tall QB's had unusual success in college because they saw the field so well and release time was not too much of an issue at the college level.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I've seen games where the analyst has pointed out that Mayfield identified the likely prime target based on the D alignment before the ball was snapped. The kid knows how to read college D's. He was not as successful at decoding the D coverage against Georgia, which is more like a pro D.

Regardless, while I would take his height (or lack or it) and success in a system that fosters success in every QB that plays in it, I would not bet against the kid. He won a Texas HS football championship, but with no big time offers, he chose to walk on at Texas Tech where he started the season opener (as a true freshman walk-on!) He was 5-0 with nearly 1,500 yards and an efficiency rating near 150. Then he was injured and upset he was not put back in as starter when he felt he was healthy enough to play. He became more upset when TT did not offer him a scholarship. Kliff Kingsbury says they did intend to offer a scholarship -- but , oddly, I guess they just did not get around to it. Anyway, feeling slighted by TT, he transferred to Oklahoma where he had to sit out a year. When eligible to play, he beat out Trevor Knight and set about proving all the nay sayers wrong becoming the first ever walk-on to win a Heisman.

The kids a winner. Doubters beware.

True, but he still had respectable numbers against Georgia. Almost 300 yards and 3 tds total. Also, rhr commentators were explaining how he was manipulating the underneath linebackers with his eyes moving guys to then throw to a open receiver down the seam. Folks state that he threw to an open receiver but miss how his eyes manipulated a defender to get the receiver open on the first place.

This is why those "he's throwing to open receivers" comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. 

I just want a real nfl qb whether it be a solid existing pro such as Cousins, or one of the top college QBs coming out.  I love Baker Mayfield and have watched every Oklahoma game because of him.  I don’t pretend to be a qb guru so I don’t know if he will or won’t make it as a top flight nfl qb.  I do know he’s a lot of fun to watch, has had tremendous success in college, and has an infectious passion for the game.

58 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True, but he still had respectable numbers against Georgia. Almost 300 yards and 3 tds total. Also, rhr commentators were explaining how he was manipulating the underneath linebackers with his eyes moving guys to then throw to a open receiver down the seam. Folks state that he threw to an open receiver but miss how his eyes manipulated a defender to get the receiver open on the first place.

This is why those "he's throwing to open receivers" comments have to be taken with a grain of salt. 

More than a respectable game - they scored more points on Georgia than any team all year.  That was a very good defense.....and if you watched the game NO ONE was open.  He found a way to put up almost 300 yards and 3td's against a very stingy defense.

You're not going to throw for 500 yards every week.  The defense tries too.  Brady, Ben, Rodgers etc..have days when the defense steps up and causes them problems.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Just saying.

I did notice him going throu his progressions and that's good. Again just an observation that in tight throws I did notice he was not as accurate.

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Analyzing him, and our other potential guys for an entire day, and seeing which is the best.

His style of play would really fit Morton’s offense and if Josh McCown was to come back mentor..Josh obviously knows this offense like the back of his hand or he wouldn’t of had a career year..he definitely could help Mayfield accelerate past the learning curve and probably show him how to be a professional as well.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

His style of play would really fit Morton’s offense and if Josh McCown was to come back mentor..Josh obviously knows this offense like the back of his hand or he wouldn’t of had a career year..he definitely could help Mayfield accelerate past the learning curve and probably show him how to be a professional as well.

I think of out of all the QB's, Mayfield will need less tuning, he doesn't carry noticeable hitches like Darnold's motion, Allen's bad accuracy, and Rosen's injuries. He is the most pro-ready guy out there, he's got good Football I.Q, and can handle big games in a big stage.

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think of out of all the QB's, Mayfield will need less tuning, he doesn't carry noticeable hitches like Darnold's motion, Allen's bad accuracy, and Rosen's injuries. He is the most pro-ready guy out there, he's got good Football I.Q, and can handle big games in a big stage.

Make no mistake as much as I love Baker..if we are talking about pro ready? Rosen is that guy. Cleanest mechanics and footwork in a loooonng time. Played under center some. Perfect spin. But like you said..injuries are a major concern. Baker doesn’t get as antsy in the pocket as his critics claim he does. He’s definitely pro ready also though.

CLE takes Mayfield,  NYG takes Rosen.  Darnold doesn't enter draft.  

WAS keeps Cousins and DEN takes Allen.

That leaves us with Rudolph and Jackson to choose from.

Our new nightmare scenario.  Those 5 wins will feel really good if that plays out.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

CLE takes Mayfield,  NYG takes Rosen.  Darnold doesn't enter draft.  

WAS keeps Cousins and DEN takes Allen.

That leaves us with Rudolph and Jackson to choose from.

Our new nightmare scenario.  Those 5 wins will feel really good if that plays out.

Then you take the BPA... you Don't reach for a position @ the #6 pick.

Archived