Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yes, even the interviewer viewed it as serious minded praise over saying nice things about a guy you used to coach...;)

You do know who that interviewer/writer was don’t you?  None other than Clinton Yates (who has now been seen appearing on Around The Horn) 

He was RG3 apologist #1 and several times wrote about the racism that he believed was the reason RG3 lost his job.   He was trying to mock Cousins and Shanahan which he did so many times before. Race baiter journalist

In the end he wound up with egg on his face as it was proven Robert was a big Diva would couldn’t even play for Cleveland he was so bad and Shanahan was right up to now!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Mike-Shanahan-was-right-about-Kirk-Cousins-Washington-Cousins-51540333/Amp

12 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Love the passion of the Cousinites (or Kirkologist) but where there is passion, there is often blindspots. While Kirk would be an upgrade at QB, the price is too steep for a 30 year old without winning pedigree. I'd rather continue with the rebuild plan and give the coaching staff a young buck to groom.

What was Drew Brees winning pedigree before he went to the Saints? There are so many examples of good QBs not being able to overcome bad coaching and management and then doing much better elsewhere. Keenum this year. McCown had won 2 games in like three years and he nearly tripled that with a bad Jets team and he’s an average QB. 

Also, what does 30 years old factor into it? He’s entering his prime years and could play for another 8-9 at a high level. 

What about this coaching staff gives you an idea that they can even groom a young buck? What young QB on this roster has seen his play markedly improve over the last three seasons? All of them regressed. 

I’m okay with you not wanting Cousins, but your reasoning is flawed and illogical. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What was Drew Brees winning pedigree before he went to the Saints? There are so many examples of good QBs not being able to overcome bad coaching and management and then doing much better elsewhere. Keenum this year. McCown had won 2 games in like three years and he nearly tripled that with a bad Jets team and he’s an average QB. 

Also, what does 30 years old factor into it? He’s entering his prime years and could play for another 8-9 at a high level. 

What about this coaching staff gives you an idea that they can even groom a young buck? What young QB on this roster has seen his play markedly improve over the last three seasons? All of them regressed. 

I’m okay with you not wanting Cousins, but your reasoning is flawed and illogical. 

Drew did lead SD to a 12-4 record and a div title then they were 9-7 a year later before he left. In the 12 years since he left they only won as many 12 games 2 more times.  This has nothing to do w/ Cousins but I wanted to point out he was already ascending to being a really good QB in SD.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Drew did lead SD to a 12-4 record and a div title then they were 9-7 a year later before he left. In the 12 years since he left they only won as many 12 games 2 more times.  This has nothing to do w/ Cousins but I wanted to point out he was already ascending to being a really good QB in SD.

Fair enough but then they still let him go. I’m just saying a quarterback can’t be judged on record alone, especially for the dumpster fire in DC. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fair enough but then they still let him go. I’m just saying a quarterback can’t be judged on record alone, especially for the dumpster fire in DC. 

they had drafted Rivers in 2004 and Rivers would have started had he not held out and then remember Brees had the shoulder injury in the final week of the 2005 season.  an injury which led the dolphins to passing on Brees for Daunte Culpepper so those all factored in.  I think had he been healthy SD would have re-signed him and looked to move Rivers and SD would have been much better the last decade+.

Cousins is a top 10-12 QB in the league, depending on opinion. I say hes at #10. Thats franchise quarterback category.

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield may develop to that point, and if they may not. It may take them 5-6 seasons before they do though. This regime is going ALL IN on Cousins. Bet on it. 

I’d be psyched if we can sign Cousins, and build through the draft. Its not like we have big contracts on premium positions. The overpay for Cousins, after cutting Mo, still leaves us with A LOT of cap space.

22 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you believe putting Cousins on the Jets as is are a legitimate SuperBowl contender?

It depends on whether the Jets get at least one decent G and T and a RB. And a competent HC. If so, then yes, I think we'd be at least a playoff contender. 

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

A shot?  Like Sanchez is on the same planet?  Every winning team needs a running game and defense.

The Patriots have not had a running game since Parcells stole Curtis Martin away from them. Hasn't slowed them down any. 

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Cousins is a top 10-12 QB in the league, depending on opinion. I say hes at #10. Thats franchise quarterback category.

At least.

In my mind:

CLEARLY better: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Ben, Wentz (small sample size with Wentz but he's young and impressive), Luck (major injury worries)

WORSE IMO: Prescott, Eli, Winston, Cam*(unless you like a different kind of offense), Trubisky, Keenam, Bradford, Bridgewater, Goff, Insert Denver QB/Jets QB/Dolphins QB/Cleveland QB, Tyrod Taylor, Flacco, Dalton, Mariota

On Par give or take: Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Wilson (different kind of offense and you'd like this guy more), Carr, Alex Smith (low end)

Truly not sure: Watson, Garrapolo

I'd have him in the range you say or above personally (and honestly with age in the mix I take him over Brees and Ben and with injury I'd question if I'd take Luck ahead of him)

Depends where you rank the "on par guys" but I'd def take him before Rivers again due to age

I haven't read this whole thread, but just comparing stats, Cousins didn't really out produce McCown.

McCown-  5-8 W/L  67.3% 2926 yards  7.4 Y/A  18TD 9INT  in only 13 games and on 397 attempts.

Cousins-  7-9 W/L  64.3%  4093 yards 7.6 Y/A  27TD 13INT in 16 games and on 540 attempts

McCown is right there with Y/A, has a better completion %, and if you gave him 540 attempts he'd have 4000 yards 24TD and 12INT.

You can argue that neither had much to work with although Robbie did come on at the end of the season.

Is that worth paying 3.5 times as much for?

Let's re-sign McCown for 1 year 8 million, draft a pass rusher at 6, and o-line/rb in round 2, and let Hack take this sh*t over in the preseason!

13 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I haven't read this whole thread, but just comparing stats, Cousins didn't really out produce McCown.

McCown-  5-8 W/L  67.3% 2926 yards  7.4 Y/A  18TD 9INT  in only 13 games and on 397 attempts.

Cousins-  7-9 W/L  64.3%  4093 yards 7.6 Y/A  27TD 13INT in 16 games and on 540 attempts

McCown is right there with Y/A, has a better completion %, and if you gave him 540 attempts he'd have 4000 yards 24TD and 12INT.

You can argue that neither had much to work with although Robbie did come on at the end of the season.

Let's re-sign McCown for 1 year 8 million, draft a pass rusher at 6, and o-line/rb in round 2, and let Hack take this sh*t over in the preseason!

I think if we could get a better version of a younger healthier McCown then we'd sign up for that. This year for McCown was a statistical anomaly IMO. That and Cousins had the 2nd most players on IR with the 7th hardest schedule. 

12 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Cousins wouldn’t be a significant upgrade over what McCown did this year.  That is simply a fact 

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think if we could get a better version of a younger healthier McCown then we'd sign up for that. This year for McCown was a statistical anomaly IMO. That and Cousins had the 2nd most players on IR with the 7th hardest schedule. 

So a $150 million + our first round pick is worth a slightly better McCown?

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So a $150 million + our first round pick is worth a slightly better McCown?

I think +$150M plus keeping our 2018 first, 2019 first plus anything else that is needed to trade up, for a healthier younger version of McCown's top year is absolutely worth it. Especially when Cousins worst year is still better than McCowns best year.

People who say "cousins would not have won us that many more games this year" (insert stats) is a ridiculous argument against signing Cousins. He is going to be 30 years old, hasn't missed a game in his pro career, and is loved by fans/media/teammates. Probably should mention the conversation needs to be Cousins plus $60M in cap + 4 high draft picks vs McCown 2017. It's not like Cousins would be coming in here with no benefit from the lumps that were taken this year. The whole point of getting Cousins is that he is hitting his prime years and we have money that needs to be spent.

Archived