Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t think Morton is going anywhere. We’d have to allow him to leave. Don’t think it’s going to happen. 

Yes the Jets would have to approve of a lateral move.  Just don't see Bowles forcing him to stay here if he wants to go.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Yes the Jets would have to approve of a lateral move.  Just don't see Bowles forcing him to stay here if he wants to go.

Same here..would be kinda irresponsible of Morton though. I mean, you sign a contract to work some where and then you just leave the next year? I understand why he would..we are the Jets but damn...just kinda not something you’d like to see from professional coaches.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Same here..would be kinda irresponsible of Morton though. I mean, you sign a contract to work some where and then you just leave the next year? I understand why he would..we are the Jets but damn...just kinda not something you’d like to see from professional coaches.

Agree, but it has happened to the Jets with an OC before. Do you remember Mike Heimerdinger?  What a shyt show.  NYDN had a full back page photo of Heimerdinger behind bars.  LOL  Quite the circus.  If he wants to go, and I think he will to be with Chucky, bye

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t think Morton is going anywhere. We’d have to allow him to leave. Don’t think it’s going to happen. 

I thought I read a Bowles comment 2 days ago when asked and he mentionedf he doesnt believe in standing in a coaches way. Nowwwww, Mac may have final say, not Bowles, LOL

I'm not sure if cousins will cost as much as people think.  There aren't many teams looking for qbs, and of those teams, some don't have the cap space.  

Mccagnan's dream scenario could well be to get cousins, draft a pass rusher at 6, then get a qb in the 2nd round to groom and still have 2 more 2nd day picks to restock the offense.  That would allow him to realistically compete for a playoff spot for the next 5 years, while giving him time to find a true qb of the future.  It's difficult to see why he wouldn't go balls out for cousins.  If the browns don't pursue him, the jets could be bidding against themselves.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'm not sure if cousins will cost as much as people think.  There aren't many teams looking for qbs, and of those teams, some don't have the cap space.  

Mccagnan's dream scenario could well be to get cousins, draft a pass rusher at 6, then get a qb in the 2nd round to groom and still have 2 more 2nd day picks to restock the offense.  That would allow him to realistically compete for a playoff spot for the next 5 years, while giving him time to find a true qb of the future.  It's difficult to see why he wouldn't go balls out for cousins.  If the browns don't pursue him, the jets could be bidding against themselves.

All it takes is 2 plus the Redskins, he is going to get paid, and he will need to get paid a lot more to come to the Jets IMO

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

If the Skins put the transition tag on Cousins, and he is willing to play for the Jets, no picks should be necessary.  The Jets have the money to just get him where the Skins can't match.

Unless the Browns get involved in the Sweepstakes

I believe that the Skins are very reluctant to part with Cousins for nothing and are looking at the transition tag to get something from another team for Cousins via a trade and only three teams have the $$$$$ to pursue Cousins 1) Jets, 2) Cleveland and 3) the 49er (who have their new QB). I also don't believe that Cousins would sign with Cleveland, they are just out and out bad

IMO the issue is do the Jets give Cousins a big time contract and the Skins a number 2 pick to get him?  Do they value him this much?  and given Bowles desire to have an experienced signal caller, Cousins might be the way to go...

Reposting from another Thread because wow, just wow.

All Stats courtesy of ProFootball Reference Website:

Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Dec. 31, 2017:  20 of 37 (54%), 158 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT - 31.1 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Sept. 25, 2016:  21 of 35 (60%), 296 Yards, 2 TD, 0 INT - 106.4 Rating -- WIN
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Sept. 24, 2015:  30 of 49 (61%), 316 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 69.8 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Jets, Oct. 18, 2015:  25 of 43 (58%), 196 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 57.9 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants 2014 - Did Not Play
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Dec. 29, 2013:  19 of 49 (38%), 169 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT - 31.8 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants 2012 - Did Not Play

Kirk Cousins Career numbers in Met Life Stadium:

5 Games, 115 of 213 (54%) for 1,135 Yards (5.3 YPA), 4 TD's, 9 INT's, 1 Win, 4 Losses

Is this a 26-30 million a year QB in Met Life?

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I believe that the Skins are very reluctant to part with Cousins for nothing and are looking at the transition tag to get something from another team for Cousins via a trade and only three teams have the $$$$$ to pursue Cousins 1) Jets, 2) Cleveland and 3) the 49er (who have their new QB). I also don't believe that Cousins would sign with Cleveland, they are just out and out bad

IMO the issue is do the Jets give Cousins a big time contract and the Skins a number 2 pick to get him?  Do they value him this much?  and given Bowles desire to have an experienced signal caller, Cousins might be the way to go...

Yes, the Skins are trying to get something for Cousins.  That doesn't mean they will.

The Jets don't have to give the #2 pick.  All they have to do is offer Cousins a contract the Browns can't match, and he's a Jet.

Things have changed in Cleveland since Dorsey is GM.  The player might not know that, but his agent will.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Dec. 31, 2017:  20 of 37 (54%), 158 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT - 31.1 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Sept. 25, 2016:  21 of 35 (60%), 296 Yards, 2 TD, 0 INT - 106.4 Rating -- WIN
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Sept. 24, 2015:  30 of 49 (61%), 316 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 69.8 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Jets, Oct. 18, 2015:  25 of 43 (58%), 196 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT - 57.9 Rating -- LOSS
Kirk Cousins at NY Giants, Dec. 29, 2013:  19 of 49 (38%), 169 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT - 31.8 Rating -- LOSS

5 Games, 115 of 213 (54%) for 1,135 Yards (5.3 YPA), 4 TD's, 9 INT's, 1 Win, 4 Losses

I love Cousins  but these are eye opening stats and important....   

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Problem with that is if either the Jets or Browns are interested in Cousins, and I think they are, Denver can't afford Cousins

Ha come on. There is always plenty of ways to move $$ in the NFL. Especially for your franchise qb. Cousins would prob pick Denver over jets.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

you act like he plays most of his games in domes.  home games in wash + a couple games in Philly.  He is absolutely worth $26-$30M per

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

AVOID! He clearly weakens as a human when he walks into Metlife Stadium! Don't do it Mac

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Talked to a few Skins fans yesterday about how good he actually was. From what I understand he can really win in the playoffs with a top 10 defensecand a good running game. Some say he can perform outside of Grudens system, others were heistent to give me a definite answer. They for the most part, agreed he is worth whatever he wants and Dan Snyder botched this entire thing because he has convinced himself that he put a decent team around Cousins for him to succeed when in reality he hasn’t done anything good for the offense so his narcissistic mindset is blaming Cousins for the 7-9, 8-8 seasons. He has done more with less for 3 straight years. Was very surprised with the things I heard. here are some of those...

Give him a decent running game and a top 10 defense and one good WR and people won't be questioning why his Top 5 stats don't get enough wins. Then you'd find out if he can win playoff games, because there is no way the Redskins are ever going to find out whether they sign him or not.”

“The Jets are a playoff team with Cousins. I mean this is the same AFC where the Bills and Titans made the playoffs.“

“They didn't think Cousins was good after 2015 so they waited, and waited, and waited, because they don't have a clue. They probably don't even realize that Cousins proved them wrong 3 seasons in a row. They're morons, what can you expect? That's the real reason why our GM is gone. He was probably clowning on their idiocy, maybe while he was drunk he just couldn't hold it back but they were all drinking at their facilities so they can't say it was the alcohol when they practically serve it there.”

Dan Snyder is a buffoon who has convinced himself that the defense, offensive weapons, and special teams are all good enough. Cousins just can't put the team on his back and win with 0 help in reality. But find me the QB who has won with 0 offensive weapons other than a 3rd down back that no other team in the NFL signed when he was on our practice squad, and a defense that is ranked close to 30th and gave up 30 points in almost all of our losses, and a special teams unit that has no returner besides the guy who can't stop fumbling the ball and a coaching staff that can't stop blowing leads and giving up up to 21 points in the last 2 minutes of either half.

Bowles will be a great coach for Cousins if they have the right kind of offense for Cousins. I don't know if he's going to step into any offense and do what he did here.”

Not sure he has enough to consistently win games against New England or Pittsburgh “

He's a good QB and a good person. Unfortunately I think it will better off for him playing for a non dysfunctional team, a team that will not question his abilities year in year out.”

lol this one just doesn’t even know.

Thank you so much for this post!!

I don't get the skepticism out here??

Some of the same posters who were defending Sanchez (whom I respect for what he did here), or who were going on an on about FitzMagic and to a lesser extent how "good" McCown has been can't see that Cousins is night and day better than these guys or anyone we have had in recent memory?

Jets fans we really are an odd bunch sometimes...

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not my money, we have 90 mil in cap.

Cousins or darnold are the only two options here.

That’s how I feel. If you front load the contract who the hell cares if u have 105 million. Going into 2019, the cap hit drops back & allows them to continue to build the team. Jets should be able to sign Cousins & 3 or 4 stud FAs. Cousins/Johnson or Fuller/Jensen/Landry

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well, at least Mac has experience with this given his shrewd Fitzpatrick negotiations. 

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

No picks. If Washington threatens to match the Jets offer (that is, if they do even apply the transition tag) I'd call their bluff. Picks plus a big contract is too much. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha come on. There is always plenty of ways to move $$ in the NFL. Especially for your franchise qb. Cousins would prob pick Denver over jets.

Denver has 24.5M cap space, Jets will have 90+M  Browns will have 100+M.   Denver would have to completely destroy their roster to get in the Cousins market.   Doubt Cousins would want to play for a team that is barren of talent.

Elway is interested in case the Jets and Browns lose interest. Actually the Browns haven't shown any real interest yet, but IMO they will.  Denver has the 5th pick in the draft, they most likely can get a QB there with out destroying the rest of the team. Elway isn't that stupid.  His interest is just doing due diligence as they like to say. IMO the Denver interest in Cousins is more just media hype.  It's a good story  

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So he's a QB who can't produce or win on the road outdoors?

Where do I sign up?

2017:

BY LOCATION

CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
OUTDOORS 325 508 3,771 64.0 7.42 74 24 13 39 91.4 46 168 3.7 18 4

2016:

BY LOCATION CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
OUTDOORS 314 477 3,896 65.8 8.17 80 20 11 19 95.3 28 79 2.8 13

Just now, Philc1 said:

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So he's a QB who can't produce or win on the road outdoors?

Where do I sign up?

You do realize the redskins stadium is outdoors?  

Didn't read the post before responding again?  Come on dude.

34 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

you act like he plays most of his games in domes.  home games in wash + a couple games in Philly.  He is absolutely worth $26-$30M per

The swirling winds in the Meadowlands make MetLife different even from other outdoor venues.  

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Denver has 24.5M cap space, Jets will have 90+M  Browns will have 100+M.   Denver would have to completely destroy their roster to get in the Cousins market.   Doubt Cousins would want to play for a team that is barren of talent.

Elway is interested in case the Jets and Browns lose interest. Actually the Browns haven't shown any real interest yet, but IMO they will.  Denver has the 5th pick in the draft, they most likely can get a QB there with out destroying the rest of the team. Elway isn't that stupid.  His interest is just doing due diligence as they like to say. IMO the Denver interest in Cousins is more just media hype.  It's a good story  

They have 24 mil in cap space for 18. Can clear more each yr. cousins isn’t making more than 24 mil a yr. If his price tag is even remotely that high I don’t want him. Since earlier poster mentioned he will need a good support system anyway for him to excel. We need $ for that. Why are you only mentioning Denver and browns ? What about the Jags ? They will be going for a win now qb next yr, and will move what they have to for that to happen.

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

They have 24 mil in cap space for 18. Can clear more each yr. cousins isn’t making more than 24 mil a yr. If his price tag is even remotely that high I don’t want him. Since earlier poster mentioned he will need a good support system anyway for him to excel. We need $ for that. Why are you only mentioning Denver and browns ? What about the Jags ? They will be going for a win now qb next yr, and will move what they have to for that to happen.

If the Skins put the transition tag on him, which they expected to do, the bidding will begin at 30M.  If the Jets sign him at 30, they will still have 60+M.  If the Bronco's sign him for 30, they will be in over their heads, and have to strip their D to the ground.    Elway would have to be an idiot to do it, when he will be getting a QB in the draft.

Players are usually interested in how much money they walk out of the signing  room with

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Cooley-Gruden-wants-to-know-Kirk-Cousins-future-now-113205569/Amp

Kirk Cousins' future remains the hottest topic in D.C., and that figures to be the case for a long time to come. If it were up to Jay Gruden however, that wouldn't be the case.

Speaking on his radio show on Wednesday, former Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley shed light on a conversation he had with the head coach, claiming that although Gruden himself isn't involved with the negotiations, he's ready for the three-year long saga to end.

Via ESPN Radio 980:

.@thecooleyzone says #Redskins Coach Jay Gruden wants to know NOW whether or not he will have QB Kirk Cousins in 2018. pic.twitter.com/11uXsxv9Nx

— ESPN 980 (@espn980) January 4, 2018

Cousins himself has said he remains comfortable playing on a year-to-year contract basis, but as Cooley states, it's simply not sustainable in regards to team success. The Redskins simply can't carry on in the same way they have been, as year-long deals will only increase in price while leaving no guarantees as to the future of the franchise moving forward.

As always, we'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Cooley-Gruden-wants-to-know-Kirk-Cousins-future-now-113205569/Amp

Kirk Cousins' future remains the hottest topic in D.C., and that figures to be the case for a long time to come. If it were up to Jay Gruden however, that wouldn't be the case.

Speaking on his radio show on Wednesday, former Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley shed light on a conversation he had with the head coach, claiming that although Gruden himself isn't involved with the negotiations, he's ready for the three-year long saga to end.

Via ESPN Radio 980:

.@thecooleyzone says #Redskins Coach Jay Gruden wants to know NOW whether or not he will have QB Kirk Cousins in 2018. pic.twitter.com/11uXsxv9Nx

— ESPN 980 (@espn980) January 4, 2018

Cousins himself has said he remains comfortable playing on a year-to-year contract basis, but as Cooley states, it's simply not sustainable in regards to team success. The Redskins simply can't carry on in the same way they have been, as year-long deals will only increase in price while leaving no guarantees as to the future of the franchise moving forward.

As always, we'll see what happens.

#franchisetag

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Don’t worry I’m sure your hero Fitzcraptick will get another shot here after Macc fails to get both Cousins and Darnold

This is called "deflection". 

When you have no argument or defense of a point or fact, you try and change the topic so no one will notice (you hope) that you have no argument/defense.

We both know Fitzpatrick is not my hero.  We both know I do not want Fitzpatrick (or McCown) playing for the Jets in 2017.  The only reason to raise him is to deflect from those horrific Cousins stats over his career in Met Life.

Archived