Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think the jets have any intention of going after cousins.

I think they have every intention of going after him.

There were multiple reports that Macc tried trading for him after Geno had his jaw busted.

Now that he won’t cost us a high draft pick, we’ll have close to $100 million in cap space and have arguably the worst QB situation in the league...we’d be goofy as hell not to pursue him.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not that the Redskins are a successful, functional organization whose personnel decisions are to be unquestioned -- but there's a reason they've dragged their feet on paying this guy for three years. He isn't that good.

I'm not really so sure they have dragged their feet.  If I remember correctly they offered him $53,000,000 guaranteed over 2 years, with $72,000,000 guaranteed for injury.

That's a lot of money by any standard.  I just think the Skins are going to let the offer stand, if someone is stupid enough to give him 30M, oh well, he's not worth it.  IMO he's not worth what they have offered

18 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed. I am just not willing to shell out half our cap to one player just because we have it like, that this year. Noooo way. I know everyone here just wants to see success as fast as possible but it’s not going to happen the way people want it to. People are expecting to sign him and he give us 5/6 years of 5,000 yard QB play. We need to factor in systems fits. He has never played outside of Washington. What will he look like? He has been a 8-8, 7-9 middling QB most of his career. People will say the Redskins are worse than us...yet we are the guys with 5 wins and they are the ones with 7. People will then say look at our QB play and I would counter Josh McCown threw 67% this year. We aren’t as good as we think we are and we aren’t as bad as we think we are..but we aren’t doing ourselves any favors handing him half our cap space. There are so many different routes that can lead us out of this mess. I understand a lot of guys are scared we can’t develop a QB and that’s why they want to see an “established” guy. But how “established” is 8-8 2016 record and a 7-9 2017 record. He threw two picks to a broken Giants D with an interim coach running the show. We will have to develop a guy as SOME point in our damned future if we EVER want to be anything more than what we are now. Do that. Take every shot possible. Take the best shot possible. Don’t be scared and try to get it the cheap way..which is ironically the super expensive way.?

There are some great points in here:

There are like *soooo* many routes to getting out of this rut. The possibilities are pretty endless. Giving Cousins 5/6 years, which is how NFL FA contracts work, off of that Giants game is not one of them. You are paying half the cap for at least 5-6 for that performance and 7 wins. The Jets are better than we think - all they need is a rookie QB they can battle against other trainers until he develops - but also they are worse than we think and are not ready for a QB. Take every shot possible but not the Cousins shot because while it is not scary it is scary! He is coming for our money! Imagine what that money could buy in The Future! 

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think the jets have any intention of going after cousins.

It couldn’t be more obvious that they are going for him. These guys have been chasing him for three years now. He will complete Bowles’ dream roster capable of 7-8 wins. 

59 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

He sounds more like a coach thats not going to provide statements that will be used against the organization during Negotiation.  Thats something  Rex Ryan would do. 

That's something Todd Bowles did do

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

There are some great points in here:

There are like *soooo* many routes to getting out of this rut. The possibilities are pretty endless. Giving Cousins 5/6 years, which is how NFL FA contracts work, off of that Giants game is not one of them. You are paying half the cap for at least 5-6 for that performance and 7 wins. The Jets are better than we think - all they need is a rookie QB they can battle against other trainers until he develops - but also they are worse than we think and are not ready for a QB. Take every shot possible but not the Cousins shot because while it is not scary it is scary! He is coming for our money! 

....I thought we were having a mature discussion. You undercut most of my points, put your own spins on the them and then tried to belittled my views. Note to self..SenorGato isn’t someone you mess with. Got it....

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

....I thought we were having a mature discussion. You undercut most of my points, put your own spins on the them and then tried to belittled my views. Note to self..SenorGato isn’t someone you mess with. Got it....

A mature discussion about the player that will eat half the cap for 5-6 years? Got it.  I was agreeing with you! 

31 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

I know you live in VA just as I, fish.

I watch on average 10-12 Redskins games every year. Cousins had to deal with 8 different starting OL combinations this year, Jordan Reed his top playmaker in the passing game missing the majority of the season, etc.

And he still posted a 4,000 yard season with damn near 30 TD’s and completed 65% of his passes.

Why everyone acts like this guy is a scrub is beyond me. He’s a borderline Top 10 QB just hitting the prime of his career. 

If Washington is dumb enough to let him walk...jump on him.

What about his other two years starting - 9-7, 8-7-1 ?

One playoff appearance and losing the wildcard game.  You're paying $30mm for mediocrity.  For another guy that'll get you a wildcard once every 3 or 4 years and likely to be one and out...I'm tired of that...

And you only get that for 5 maybe 6 years..

would be crazy to pass up on a potential franchise QB - While it's a long-shot he's turns into one - at least gives you a chance to potentially win a superbowl.

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It should be a red flag for suitors like us. With that said, these comments will probably irk Cousins and drive him further away from resigning. Look for him to be a Denver Bronco. They are set up for success with a decent QB under center, albeit, an older version of the team but very similar to the 2013 team that got Manning in FA and just plugged and played him.

Gruden throwing the guy under the bus should surprise no one. Why would he want to make the guy seem irreplaceable as a free agent? I mean Bowles would but still most would not. Cousins age and price tag together are probably enough to pass, but his stat line is solid. Not to mention they changed his weapons last year and the guy still balled out. AT  22-24 per I think he is very good.

The sad thing is there is a no win scenario with this fan base. SOJ fans don't root for the team, they find fault in every move because they enjoy not being wrong. I'd rather we be wrong than complain about every move, it's just exhausting.

To answer this post, yes we should absolutely make an offer to him. Offer him a deal that averages it out to be $28M per year, tell him we want to heavily front load your deal so we have money to resign the talent around you when the time comes. There is no reason Cousins can't be 12% or less of our cap come 2020 when guys start coming off rookie deals. Honestly he's made so much over the last few years he may pride himself on going to a favorable situation for less money. It's going to come down to what does Kirk want? If the answer is money then the Browns, Bills, and Jets will have the upper hand but if he is willing to leave money on the table then the Broncos and Jags seem like great destinations. 

I think Macc will offer him the highest QB contract in history and lay out the plan to surround him with talent, something I don't think the Jags or Broncos can really match. If he doesn't choose us then we turn our focus to the draft, I don't think we'll get into much of a bidding war.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Gruden throwing the guy under the bus should surprise no one. Why would he want to make the guy seem irreplaceable as a free agent? I mean Bowles would but still most would not. Cousins age and price tag together are probably enough to pass, but his stat line is solid. Not to mention they changed his weapons last year and the guy still balled out. AT  22-24 per I think he is very good.

Is a couple million dollars really worth the no? If you’re already comfortable at 22-24 what’s the big difference between 25-28? 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

What about his other two years starting - 9-7, 8-7-1 ?

One playoff appearance and losing the wildcard game.  You're paying $30mm for mediocrity.  For another guy that'll get you a wildcard once every 3 or 4 years and likely to be one and out...I'm tired of that...

And you only get that for 5 maybe 6 years..

would be crazy to pass up on a potential franchise QB - While it's a long-shot he's turns into one - at least gives you a chance to potentially win a superbowl.

On what planet is Cousins “mediocre”?

Mediocre QB’s don’t put up over 13,000 yards, 90 total TD’s and complete 67% of their passes in their first 3 years as a starter.

If that’s mediocre, well, then sign me up for mediocrity.

It makes perfect sense to go after and sign this guy and thats why Macc wont even consider it.

He will draft a CB in the 1st and maybe go 1st rnd CB / 2nd rnd CB (deja vu?) then take an afterthought QB in the  3rd or 4th.

This guy is convinced McCown is great. Need we know more?

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Mediocre QB’s don’t put up over 13,000 yards, 90 total TD’s and complete 67% of their passes in their first 3 years as a starter.

Sure he has solid stats but 9 wins, 8 wins and 7 wins.  One wildcard playoff loss...

I think winning is important and I think the QB has the most say in a team's ability to do so.  His win/loss record could be the definition of mediocrity.

This thread sums it up. Haven’t had a QB in forever and you are nitpicking like it’s your money to spend or that 30 years old is even old. Give me a break. Kirk Cousins and draft a guy that can develop. This isn’t Glennon. This isn’t Osweiller. Of course his coach isn’t going to say much. Why would he drive up the price? 

Honestly people. This is a chance to get a good qb and then have a chance to develop really good qb that will be ready to roll in a few years like the packers and giants of the world. We at least have to try. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

He is barely above .500, if at all, with no playoff wins. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Gruden sounds like an idiot....probably much more of the problem in Washington than Cousins.

Or maybe he is just trying to not be Rex Ryan. Who was such a great Revis promoter “ declaring he is the best ever “ right before contract time sure didn’t help jets later. 

Cousins is not a great qb you tie up a ton of guaranteed $$ to. I’d take him sure, but he definitely should be given elite $$    

Just now, Drums said:

This thread sums it up. Haven’t had a QB in forever and you are nitpicking like it’s your money to spend or that 30 years old is even old. Give me a break. Kirk Cousins and draft a guy that can develop. This isn’t Glennon. This isn’t Osweiller. Of course his coach isn’t going to say much. Why would he drive up the price? 

Honestly people. This is a chance to get a good qb and then have a chanve to develpp really good qb that will be ready to roll in a few years like the packers and giants of the world. We at least have to try. 

This isn't about Woody's pocket book...There's a salary cap that has to be spent by league rules. As fans we're trying to determine the best way in which to spend that money.  

For the purposes of this debate and thread it is our money to spend.

45 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why everyone acts like this guy is a scrub is beyond me. He’s a borderline Top 10 QB just hitting the prime of his career. 

I don't think it's borderline.  By any measure I can think of he's solidly in the 6-10 range in terms of performance.  And that's with a below average roster to work with.

And for everyone barking about him being 29,  almost all of the best QBs in the league right now are far older.  Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers are all at least 36 and still balling.  So a five year deal doesn't really seem to bring us past his potential prime.  

I'll say it again.  I'm not claiming he's a sure thing to be our savior, but he is far more of a sure thing than almost any other option out there.  I'd love to land Rosen, or Mayfield if that's how the draft falls, but I would be very excited for Jets football in 2018 if we landed Cousins and got him some OL help and maybe another RB to work with.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure he has solid stats but 9 wins, 8 wins and 7 wins.  One wildcard playoff loss...

I think winning is important and I think the QB has the most say in a team's ability to do so.  His win/loss record could be the definition of mediocrity.

The guy plays in the most stacked division in the most stacked conference and presides over a pretty damn mediocre Redskins team. 

I’m not going to fault the hell out of him for not going 13-3 and winning multiple playoff games every year. If he managed that, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion right now.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So is he responsible for the 9 wins or the 7 losses? Can't have it both ways. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I don't think it's borderline.  By any measure I can think of he's solidly in the 6-10 range in terms of performance.  And that's with a below average roster to work with.

And for everyone barking about him being 29,  almost all of the best QBs in the league right now are far older.  Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers are all at least 36 and still balling.  So a five year deal doesn't really seem to bring us past his potential prime.  

I'll say it again.  I'm not claiming he's a sure thing to be our savior, but he is far more of a sure thing than almost any other option out there.  I'd love to land Rosen, or Mayfield if that's how the draft falls, but I would be very excited for Jets football in 2018 if we landed Cousins and got him some OL help and maybe another RB to work with.

What about the most important measure?

Kirk was not a big time Nfl prospect coming out of college.

He is not a celebrity in ads.

He is not a physical specimen.

He does not have a superstar personality. Someone who went to MSU told me that Kirk way was too nice for a football player.

For these reasons he is not seen as the answer, despite his stats and his dealing with bad o-line injuries and injuries to TE Reed, and the WR turnover in WAS.

However, these are reasons why he has a chip on his shoulder and why i personally like him a lot. At 30, he’s got at least 6-8 years of good play.

Why are smart posters saying he will take half of the salary cap. You know that’s BS. Come on dudes. I like college prospects too but those comments are dumb. 25M is not half of 180M. So stop with the silly talk. It’s approximately one-seventh.

Roughly 25TD to 12 INT and 4000 yards may not be worth 25M. That’s a fair argument. But don’t say it’s half the cap. 

Archived