Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you have a shot to get a good qb you try to go get that player... period.  No draft capital used and build around that qb

1. Who knows which of these college qb are the real deal.... a couple of them will be including a late rd guy nobody is talking about and a few will be serviceable and or/backups 

2. The money factor is all relative and is the market.... in couple  years Jameis Winston will get 33/mil/ yr enough said 

8 hours ago, shuler82 said:

+1

i can’t think of a single QB who’s play didn’t fall off a cliff after age 29

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Carson Palmer, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, just to name a few.

26 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Question for those who want Cousins, how much better QB play does Cousins give us over what McCown gave us this year? And how many more games did we win with him instead?

Much better and probably 5 more wins. Every unit would have benefitted from better QB play. This isn’t rocket science folks. 

54 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Question for those who want Cousins, how much better QB play does Cousins give us over what McCown gave us this year? And how many more games did we win with him instead?

Josh McCown: 5-8 record / 67.3 completion /  2,926 yards / 7.37 avg. / 18 TDs / Long was 69 / 9 Int. / 7 fumbles / 56.3 QBR / 94.5 Rating

Cousins: 64.3 completion / 4,093 yards / 7.58 avg. / 27 TDs / Long was 74 / 13 Int / 6 fumbles / 50 QBR / 93.9 Rating

Stats aren't everything and most of us haven't watched more than .5 games from the Redskins, but the main point is that this is McCown's best year and even though he seems like a good enough guy, if I had to choose, I'd roll the dice with Cousins and draft a QB.  This is the best it's getting with McCown, folks-- five wins.  Seriously.  I can't sit here and say this guy gives us this many wins but I think it's obvious who is better and at this point, beggars can't be choosers, man.  You go out and get an above avg. QB and if he isn't good, he isn't good but at least we frigen tried.  Front load the contract and see where we are in a year or two, plus an actual promising rookie developing (any of the top four guys from this year's draft).

Now your turn: What do we have to lose? And please do not say cap space because there are ways to work around that and if Cousins turns out to be good it'll be worth it anyway. 

29 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Much better and probably 5 more wins. Every unit would have benefitted from better QB play. This isn’t rocket science folks. 

So the skins were 2 wins better with Cousins and arguably a better team and an easier schedule, but you think the jets would have been 5 wins better?

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

Josh McCown: 5-8 record / 67.3 completion /  2,926 yards / 7.37 avg. / 18 TDs / Long was 69 / 9 Int. / 7 fumbles / 56.3 QBR / 94.5 Rating

Cousins: 64.3 completion / 4,093 yards / 7.58 avg. / 27 TDs / Long was 74 / 13 Int / 6 fumbles / 50 QBR / 93.9 Rating

Stats aren't everything and most of us haven't watched more than .5 games from the Redskins, but the main point is that this is McCown's best year and even though he seems like a good enough guy, if I had to choose, I'd roll the dice with Cousins and draft a QB.  This is the best it's getting with McCown, folks-- five wins.  Seriously.  I can't sit here and say this guy gives us this many wins but I think it's obvious who is better and at this point, beggars can't be choosers, man.  You go out and get an above avg. QB and if he isn't good, he isn't good but at least we frigen tried.  Front load the contract and see where we are in a year or two, plus an actual promising rookie developing (any of the top four guys from this year's draft).

Now your turn: What do we have to lose? And please do not say cap space because there are ways to work around that and if Cousins turns out to be good it'll be worth it anyway. 

I don’t care about the cap, I care about years of opportunity of developing a stud QB, which admittedly is a long shot with this team and coach

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If they want Josh McCown back then they aren’t going to draft a 1st rd rookie AND sign Cousins too. Not happening.

Realistic options are:

• Sign Cousins and McCown is the capable $4mm back up.  That would put the Jets' QB budget among the NFL's highest.
  • Sign McCown and draft a QB first round.  McCown gets an incentivized deal like last time. 

MacBowles will be expected to be competitive next season.  Baker Mayfield is a potential career killer.  I don't see Mac taking him at 6.  Throwing money at Cousins, alot of money, and then using the draft picks for other needs is the best way MacBowles keep their jobs.  The other option will be too risky for them.

The question is whether the Redskins call baloney on it and franchise Cousins again and fish for a pick.  In that case I think the Jets should tell them to enjoy another year of Kurt.

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I don’t care about the cap, I care about years of opportunity of developing a stud QB, which admittedly is a long shot with this team and coach

That I also agree with but I look at this as a win/win. Sign him and let him play-- if he's good, awesome! If he underwhelms, well we hopefully drafted a rookie that can come in and do well.  I am at the point now where we need to put our eggs in a few baskets and see which ones hatch. 

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The sad thing is there is a no win scenario with this fan base. SOJ fans don't root for the team, they find fault in every move because they enjoy not being wrong. I'd rather we be wrong than complain about every move, it's just exhausting.

To answer this post, yes we should absolutely make an offer to him. Offer him a deal that averages it out to be $28M per year, tell him we want to heavily front load your deal so we have money to resign the talent around you when the time comes. There is no reason Cousins can't be 12% or less of our cap come 2020 when guys start coming off rookie deals. Honestly he's made so much over the last few years he may pride himself on going to a favorable situation for less money. It's going to come down to what does Kirk want? If the answer is money then the Browns, Bills, and Jets will have the upper hand but if he is willing to leave money on the table then the Broncos and Jags seem like great destinations. 

I think Macc will offer him the highest QB contract in history and lay out the plan to surround him with talent, something I don't think the Jags or Broncos can really match. If he doesn't choose us then we turn our focus to the draft, I don't think we'll get into much of a bidding war.

Thank you!!!

oscars applause GIF

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

30 years old when the season starts. I’d personally pass for that fact alone. I mean..if we wind up getting him, the only way I’m not mad is if we do so well we win 10 plus games and go to the playoffs. And even then i’d Still feel robbed because it’ll take forever to get another guy worthy of FQB status long after Cousins. But i want Baker. I want Rosen. I want a guy who has a chance to do just as good or better for 10 plus years. These attractive bandaid options are getting tedious. We are always screaming about the alternative way until we take it and then we want to revert back to our organizations ways when the opportunity presents itself.

Then the question becomes: what's worse? Giving up two #1 picks and probably a #2 pick for a rookie that you can't be completely sure of (remember Mark Sanchez?) or $30m to an established QB who's very good but not elite, and build around him? I'm not sure I have the answer to that question, I'm just throwing it out there

2 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Then the question becomes: what's worse? Giving up two #1 picks and probably a #2 pick for a rookie that you can't be completely sure of (remember Mark Sanchez?) or $30m to an established QB who's very good but not elite, and build around him? I'm not sure I have the answer to that question, I'm just throwing it out there

Why would you have to give up that much just to jump Denver?

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The sad thing is there is a no win scenario with this fan base. SOJ fans don't root for the team, they find fault in every move because they enjoy not being wrong. I'd rather we be wrong than complain about every move, it's just exhausting.

To answer this post, yes we should absolutely make an offer to him. Offer him a deal that averages it out to be $28M per year, tell him we want to heavily front load your deal so we have money to resign the talent around you when the time comes. There is no reason Cousins can't be 12% or less of our cap come 2020 when guys start coming off rookie deals. Honestly he's made so much over the last few years he may pride himself on going to a favorable situation for less money. It's going to come down to what does Kirk want? If the answer is money then the Browns, Bills, and Jets will have the upper hand but if he is willing to leave money on the table then the Broncos and Jags seem like great destinations. 

I think Macc will offer him the highest QB contract in history and lay out the plan to surround him with talent, something I don't think the Jags or Broncos can really match. If he doesn't choose us then we turn our focus to the draft, I don't think we'll get into much of a bidding war.

I think the vast majority of Jets fans would sign off on Cousins, but this forum, especially after 2 bad  years is disproportionately filled with sad SOJFs that seem to root for the Jets to do bad so it can prove their point that the Johnson's are bad owners, Macc is an idiot, Bowles is a dope etc.. To the point that these guys were rooting against Adams/Mayes from day 1. 

If we get Cousins and he puts up 350 yards in week 1 next year, they will find a reason to bash him also. The better this team does the more those sad voices will be drowned out. 

22 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I agree, that the smart move is Cousins. He is already really good. He will ONLY cost us cap space that we have plenty of. But if we do decide to go QB in the draft and opt to move up, we are only going from 6 to 3 or 4. We aren't going to have to give up 2 1st rounds picks and 2nd. Never going to  happen to land the 3rd best QB in the draft (assuming the Browns and Giants take QBs). Not to mention, our GM would  NEVER give up that much equity to move up a couple of spots when that QB could slip to 6. 

Remember, if we don't get Cousins, that means the Broncos aren't in competition for a QB since they are the likeliest winners of that sweepstakes. So now we have no one to worry about, unless a team in the mid 1st is dying to trade up, but why would the Browns/Colts ever want to trade back to 11-15 in the draft when they can just fall back 2 or 3 spots (know we are taking a QB) and likely/possibly land the same player they wanted at 3-4 in the 6 spot. 
Sure they  have leverage, but we also have leverage. We can say, "Sure, trade with the Redskins at 13 and watch Saquon, Chubb, Key all get taken before you pick at 13." We have a frugal GM that they know won't overypay that much when the "Trade Chart" says trading from 6 to 3 should only yield our 1st and 2nd and a later round pick." We may overpay, but nowhere near two 1st and a 2nd. That would be criminal. 

Remember, the bears moved up one spot last year (we'd be moving up 2 or 3 which isn't a  huge difference) to get Trubisky and it only cost them a couple of 3rd/4th rounders.  

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Apparently the light is shining bright already and he’s the most super duper of all the stars.

The light has been on for Cousins for a while now; I was just trying to point out that 29 is not old for the position.  The game starts slowing down for most QBs around that time.  We as Jets fans should know this better than anyone, Vinny, Fitz and McCown all had career years for us post 29. 

In a vacuum, I would likely pass on Cousins, but considering the circumstances, he is probably the Jets' best chance at success for the foreseeable future.

Mac has proven to be a poor evaluator of quarterback talent. In three years, we have used 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks on quarterbacks, and we don't even have a legitimate 3rd stringer to show for it. The position needs a complete rebuild.

With the current GM steering the ship, my vote goes toward the proven NFL talent over an unproven rookie. Cousins has shown he belongs as a starter in this league, and I'm optimistic he can get the job done with the right system and players in place. He would instantly become the best Jets quarterback since Favre and pre-injury Pennington.

18 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

In a vacuum, I would likely pass on Cousins, but considering the circumstances, he is probably the Jets' best chance at success for the foreseeable future.

Mac has proven to be a poor evaluator of quarterback talent. In three years, we have used 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks on quarterbacks, and we don't even have a legitimate 3rd stringer to show for it. The position needs a complete rebuild.

With the current GM steering the ship, my vote goes toward the proven NFL talent over an unproven rookie. Cousins has shown he belongs as a starter in this league, and I'm optimistic he can get the job done with the right system and players in place. He would instantly become the best Jets quarterback since Favre and pre-injury Pennington.

We spent a 6th on a QB..? No we didn’t.

22 minutes ago, legler82 said:

The light has been on for Cousins for a while now; I was just trying to point out that 29 is not old for the position.  The game starts slowing down for most QBs around that time.  We as Jets fans should know this better than anyone, Vinny, Fitz and McCown all had career years for us post 29. 

Ehh...guess I’m at the point where i say screw it and if we get Kirk..whatever..I want a top draftee though.

Archived