Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

17 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Even if this were true, nobody cares especially when the roster is both bad and old. They earned that 5th pick, if it wasn’t for the defense, still good but years past it’s prime, they would have easily been the worst team in the league this year.

It IS true.  The Broncos are a winning organization.  The Jets are not.  No matter how bad the Broncos might be right now, most would agree that the perception around the league is that the Broncos are a better run organization than the Jets and will return to being consistently competitive quicker than the Jets.  I think it's silly to think that this has zero impact on a players decision on where he wants to play. 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I'm a glutton for this kind of stuff (and punishment since I'm a Skins fan) and I have a compelling need to read other message boards in situations like this and couldn't resist replying.

I've watched every single snap Cousins has played as a Skin (never saw him in college).   Its funny that this thread is exactly like threads on Broncos message board, Niners (pre JG) and even at Extreme Skins!!

Same arguments but I'll bring you all the FAX!

Cousins is an OUTSTANDING QB.  The only question is if he is worth the Cap.  To those who argue he sucks you clearly have not followed the skins enough to form an insightful opinion in my mind.

The only reason the Redskins have won 9, 8 and 7 games is because of him.  The Skins D has been bottom 3-5 over the last 3 years.  Our running game is brutal.  This year the departures of Garcon and Jackson were not replaced by Pryor and Doctson (who looks like a bust quite honestly).  Jordan Reed and Thompson combined played half the games.  We were on our 6th running back and 3rd string O linemen.

I agree completely with everyone who is pro cousins here.  The Skins have botched the entire negotiation process (There is a saga I could write about it and there are Washington Post articles you can find that document it) due to Bruce Allen's ego (who ran our legit GM out of town)

Mike Shanahan was right all along.  Cousins is a top 5-10 QB that can win a superbowl easy.  His career trajectory is similar to Brees but he's had far less to work with around him.  To those who compared him to Neil O'Donnell (who I watched when he was with Pittsburgh) you are sorely mistaken.

Finally outside of his skills and stats there isn't a better human being any team would want representing their team.   This guy should run for president for real.  He says ALL the right things and his team mates love him.

He is elite and better than Stafford and Carr.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

1) It's not Washington's choice to let him go. They have tried to sign him to an extension and Kirk declined without any counter offer. We don't know what kind of contract he wants, it appears he wants nothing to do with the Redskins. Judging by Gruden's comments the other day I'd say he knows Cousins is walking and the Skins won't get anything in return.

2) We actually don't know what he wants money wise. It seems logical that he would want the next highest paid contract (something that the next QBs up for a deal will beat) We know he is disgruntled and that he feels their regime never believed in him enough to pay him a fair market value. We know that the Jets tried to trade for him before he exploded onto the scene. As small as that may appear to be I think someone who has been playing me against the world could feel like the Jets believed in him early in his career. I'm not sure I can explain just how much cap space we have, we can make him the highest paid QB in NFL history and not hamstring ourselves. It will all come down to the structure of the contract. There is no reason he can't be under 12% of our cap come 2020 when we need to start resigning our guys on rookie deals.

3) Why is 9-7 with a QB like Cousins? It sounds like you think he is a Dalton, Tannehill, or Smith type player. The Redskins had 20 players on IR this season and he still led them to 7 wins. He went through an insane amount of players on his OL, had to deal with his top weapons constantly injured or leaving via FA, and his OC have changed 3 times since he's been there. One thing that is nice about his play style is that he doesn't lock on to one target so we likely won't need to pay a top WR at any point. After dealing with the circus of RG3 I'd say he responded pretty well to adversity. I'd also argue that every team is the NFC East is better than the teams in the AFC East outside the Patriots and their QB is 40 with no heir apparent. It could be appealing to be able to beat up on a weak division with him likely being the best QB in around 2 years time, possibly sooner if Father Time catches up to Brady. Other teams he could pick (Broncos/Cardinals/Jags) he'd go against would have Rivers, Carr, Smith/Mahomes or Rams/Seahawks/49ers or Luck/Mariota/Watson. I'd say the AFC East QB situation looks far more unstable than any of those other areas, maybe the Jags look appealing because Mariota hasn't proven much, Luck is coming back from an injury, and Watson is coming off his 2nd ACL tear but I'm not sure the Jags can make a similar offer to us without losing a lot of talent. 

Ultimately it comes down to what does Kirk want and it wouldn't appear like we are an outrageous option for him. 

Wow, great post. The Redskins had more changes than the Jets when you include the injuries. Their Oline was a mess & at one point halfway through the season had more changes due to injury than any other team in the league. They had a new OC, lost Jackson & Garcon to free agency, Reed was hurt all year & was never 100%, they lost 3 RBs to injury, and their secondary was a sieve. This year for Cousins was similar to what Rivers went through a few years back when he had his worst years ever. On top of all of that Cousins got them to 7 wins, winning in Seattle (very difficult) & the Rams on the road! Those 2 road wins are more impressive than any road win the Jets have had in THREE F*CKING YEARS!

Jet fans are insane! Fix the Oline, give Cousins Jarvis Landry & a stud RB (Michel/Chubb/Love), and return of Enunwa. Be the best offense this team has seen since Favre in early 2008!

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It IS true.  The Broncos are a winning organization.  The Jets are not.  No matter how bad the Broncos might be right now, most would agree that the perception around the league is that the Broncos are a better run organization than the Jets and will return to being consistently competitive quicker than the Jets.  I think it's silly to think that this has zero impact on a players decision on where he wants to play. 

They have had their moments, this is not one of them. Right now they’re picking ahead of the Jets in the draft and were one of the worst teams in the league objectively with a bottom 3 offense and STs.

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

We should back up the Brinks for Cousins

but I don’t see anyway he’d ever pick us over a Super Bowl contender like the Denver Broncos

And that's exactly what they will have to do to get him.

Keep in mind that he has already turned down $53,000,000 guaranteed over two years, and $72,000,000 guaranteed for injury.  He's going to want much more, and not easily escapable.     Even big money might not get the job done.

As another poster pointed out here (sorry can't remember who)  he has already made a ton of money, his goal may to be to get as much as he can, and sign with a contender.    I can see the drama running on until the spring, and then Cousins signing, for less money with a contender, and the front office going in full panic mode.

If the Jets go after Cousins, and I think they will, make him a fair offer as soon as FA opens, give him a short window to consider it, then move on. How many times have the Jets been through this?  Pursuit a guy for months, then get left at the alter, miss out on other good FA's, and then have to spend  top tier money on second tier FA's.

Macc, please learn from past mistakes.  Make him a good offer if your sold on him (I'm not) If he shows signs of using the Jets to run up his contract, go quickly to plan B

17 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

OK I'm a glutton for this kind of stuff (and punishment since I'm a Skins fan) and I have a compelling need to read other message boards in situations like this and couldn't resist replying.

I've watched every single snap Cousins has played as a Skin (never saw him in college).   Its funny that this thread is exactly like threads on Broncos message board, Niners (pre JG) and even at Extreme Skins!!

Cousins is an OUTSTANDING QB.  The only question is if he is worth the Cap.  To those who argue he sucks you clearly have not followed the skins enough to form an insightful opinion in my mind.

The only reason the Redskins have won 9, 8 and 7 games is because of him.  The Skins D has been bottom 3-5 over the last 3 years.  Our running game is brutal.  This year the departures of Garcon and Jackson were not replaced by Pryor and Doctson (who looks like a bust quite honestly).  Jordan Reed and Thompson combined played half the games.  We were on our 6th running back and 3rd string O linemen.

I agree completely with everyone who is pro cousins here.  The Skins have botched the entire negotiation process (There is a saga I could write about it and there are Washington Post articles you can find that document it) due to Bruce Allen's ego (who ran our legit GM out of town)

Mike Shanahan was right all along.  Cousins is a top 5-10 QB that can win a superbowl easy.  His career trajectory is similar to Brees but he's had far less to work with around him.  To those who compared him to Neil O'Donnell (who I watched when he was with Pittsburgh) you are sorely mistaken.

Finally outside of his skills and stats there isn't a better human being any team would want representing their team.   This guy should run for president for real.  He says ALL the right things and his team mates love him.

Thanks for this post.  I'm not really sold on Cousins at the price, but this is an excellent post coming from a Skins fan

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And that's exactly what they will have to do to get him.

Keep in mind that he has already turned down $53,000,000 guaranteed over two years, and $72,000,000 guaranteed for injury.  He's going to want much more, and not easily escapable.     Even big money might not get the job done.

As another poster pointed out here (sorry can't remember who)  he has already made a ton of money, his goal may to be to get as much as he can, and sign with a contender.    I can see the drama running on until the spring, and then Cousins signing, for less money with a contender, and the front office going in full panic mode.

If the Jets go after Cousins, and I think they will, make him a fair offer as soon as FA opens, give him a short window to consider it, then move on. How many times have the Jets been through this?  Pursuit a guy for months, then get left at the alter, miss out on other good FA's, and then have to spend  top tier money on second tier FA's.

Macc, please learn from past mistakes.  Make him a good offer if your sold on him (I'm not) If he shows signs of using the Jets to run up his contract, go quickly to plan B

The Redskins won't let him walk for nothing.   Expect them to put the transition tag on him (around $28-29 million) which will give him a chance to negotiate with other teams while giving the skins the right to match any offer.  If Kirk doesn't want to play for the skins (as some speculate) then he will be hesitant to sign an offer sheet he thinks the skins will match (and they likely will match any offer they can)

It would have to be a team that would front load a BOATLOAD of money in the first year to make it prohibitive for skins.   Only Jets and Cleveland can do that really.

That $53 guaranteed was a farce.  Cousins knew he was going to make $24 mil this past year and that the skins would AT LEAST transition him for $28-29 THIS year.   So basically Cousins can take $53 mil guaranteed for 2 years or the same for like 5 years!  It was a cheesy PR move by Bruce Allen and quite frankly an insulting offer.

Cousins is going to command a lot more as the Cap keeps going up.  His contract will seem ridiculous until next year or the year after when even bigger contracts will be offered to other QBs.

10 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your preaching to the choir here. I've been on the Cousins band wagon since there was a small inkling he might get out of Washington. Read some of the threads I've started here & been bashed for starting. 

Im curious about your thoughts regarding the Jets having 100 million to spend, 3 draft picks in the top 50, and how they could surround Cousins with talent to be successful. As you may be aware of Quincy Enunwa was really coming on before suffering a neck injury. He played a pseudo WR/TE Hback role in 2016. I look at Quincy as a Reed type of player. Plus I want the Jets to sign Jarvis Landry if possible, draft either Love/Michel or Chubb in the 2nd round, sign Jensen @ Center and Oline with the other 2nd rounder we have.

So Kirk would have Landry/Kearse/Enunwa/Anderson + TE (ASJ/Sterling) + RB (Love/Michel/Chubb + Powell/McGuire). How do you think he'd fair? 

I want Cousins cause it allows Mac to use all DRAFT PICKS ON PLAYERS TO STRENGTHEN TEAM. We ownt have to package picks to move up.

If we dont get FA QB I would only be happy if we got a QB w/6th pick or Rd 2 if he loves someone. But I dont know if folks think there is a true Franchise QB anymore in this class.

15 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

They have had their moments, this is not one of them. Right now they’re picking ahead of the Jets in the draft and were one of the worst teams in the league objectively with a bottom 3 offense and STs.

I still think it's BS that the Broncos who kicked our azz 23-0 are picking in front of us based on SOS. Everything in the NFL should 1st be head to head, than SOS if they didn't play each other. Another stupid thing that's f*cked the Jets this year.

22 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

Yeah now I’m all in. 

Pay him $40 mill guaranteed in year 1

I feel about Cousins the same way I felt about Neil O'Donnell back in the day.  That we would be massively overpaying for a pretty average player.

Draft another QB and keep McCown for a bit longer.

Just say no to Cousins.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your preaching to the choir here. I've been on the Cousins band wagon since there was a small inkling he might get out of Washington. Read some of the threads I've started here & been bashed for starting. 

Im curious about your thoughts regarding the Jets having 100 million to spend, 3 draft picks in the top 50, and how they could surround Cousins with talent to be successful. As you may be aware of Quincy Enunwa was really coming on before suffering a neck injury. He played a pseudo WR/TE Hback role in 2016. I look at Quincy as a Reed type of player. Plus I want the Jets to sign Jarvis Landry if possible, draft either Love/Michel or Chubb in the 2nd round, sign Jensen @ Center and Oline with the other 2nd rounder we have.

So Kirk would have Landry/Kearse/Enunwa/Anderson + TE (ASJ/Sterling) + RB (Love/Michel/Chubb + Powell/McGuire). How do you think he'd fair? 

I'll be honest in that I follow the Skins and NFC east closely but have limited knowledge of many AFC teams these days.  I used to be FAR more into football back in the day but now its harder for me to follow outside of my niche :)

I know Landry is good.  The Skins radio guys have mentioned us trying to sign him since we need a #1WR.

He's had pretty much trash to work with this year and still put up outstanding numbers.  No running game.  No Defense (meaning we are constantly chasing games).  No outside receivers (Pryor couldn't have been any more of a bust and Doctson has like the 2nd lowest catch to target ratio of any NFL receiver with like 50 targets.  Crowder has regressed.  Old Vernon Davis and him were the only real threats once Thompson got hurt in the NO game (which was the final straw for the O)

I think he will make everyone around him better and if he goes to a team with a running game there are few better play action and bootleg QBs in the league.  He can run Read Options too!  He has quite a few rushing TDs and his athleticism is under rated.

His biggest asset tho maybe his durability....the guy NEVER gets hurt!  He hasn't missed a single snap with us since he started (well outside of trash time game or two the year before last)

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I still think it's BS that the Broncos who kicked our azz 23-0 are picking in front of us based on SOS. Everything in the NFL should 1st be head to head, than SOS if they didn't play each other. Another stupid thing that's f*cked the Jets this year.

Fair enough, doesn’t change that they were just a worse team than the Jets on paper. 

Harris Jr. and Miller are two of my favorites but outside of them that roster is lame. IIRC maybe they have a RB 

7 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

The Redskins won't let him walk for nothing.   Expect them to put the transition tag on him (around $28-29 million) which will give him a chance to negotiate with other teams while giving the skins the right to match any offer.  If Kirk doesn't want to play for the skins (as some speculate) then he will be hesitant to sign an offer sheet he thinks the skins will match (and they likely will match any offer they can)

It would have to be a team that would front load a BOATLOAD of money in the first year to make it prohibitive for skins.   Only Jets and Cleveland can do that really.

That $53 guaranteed was a farce.  Cousins knew he was going to make $24 mil this past year and that the skins would AT LEAST transition him for $28-29 THIS year.   So basically Cousins can take $53 mil guaranteed for 2 years or the same for like 5 years!  It was a cheesy PR move by Bruce Allen and quite frankly an insulting offer.

Cousins is going to command a lot more as the Cap keeps going up.  His contract will seem ridiculous until next year or the year after when even bigger contracts will be offered to other QBs.

I thought teams couldn't use the transition tag if they have already used the franchise tag?

"Transition tag: Player receives a one-year tender that is the average of the top 10 player salaries at his position. A player can negotiate with other clubs and receive an offer sheet, which his team can match to retain him. If the original team declines to match the offer sheet, they receive no compensation in return. Players cannot talk to other teams during the legal tampering period if they are transition tagged. A team cannot use the transition tag if it has already used the franchise tag, or vice versa. "

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/nfl_franchise_tag_2017_everything_you_need_to_know.html

2 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

I'll be honest in that I follow the Skins and NFC east closely but have limited knowledge of many AFC teams these days.  I used to be FAR more into football back in the day but now its harder for me to follow outside of my niche :)

I know Landry is good.  The Skins radio guys have mentioned us trying to sign him since we need a #1WR.

He's had pretty much trash to work with this year and still put up outstanding numbers.  No running game.  No Defense (meaning we are constantly chasing games).  No outside receivers (Pryor couldn't have been any more of a bust and Doctson has like the 2nd lowest catch to target ratio of any NFL receiver with like 50 targets.  Crowder has regressed.  Old Vernon Davis and him were the only real threats once Thompson got hurt in the NO game (which was the final straw for the O)

I think he will make everyone around him better and if he goes to a team with a running game there are few better play action and bootleg QBs in the league.  He can run Read Options too!  He has quite a few rushing TDs and his athleticism is under rated.

His biggest asset tho maybe his durability....the guy NEVER gets hurt!  He hasn't missed a single snap with us since he started (well outside of trash time game or two the year before last)

Music to my ears mug, appreciate it.

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

We should back up the Brinks for Cousins

but I don’t see anyway he’d ever pick us over a Super Bowl contender like the Denver Broncos

Denver is not a Super Bowl contender.  There is a reason they are picking 5th and it's not all on the QB situation.  

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I thought teams couldn't use the transition tag if they have already used the franchise tag?

"Transition tag: Player receives a one-year tender that is the average of the top 10 player salaries at his position. A player can negotiate with other clubs and receive an offer sheet, which his team can match to retain him. If the original team declines to match the offer sheet, they receive no compensation in return. Players cannot talk to other teams during the legal tampering period if they are transition tagged. A team cannot use the transition tag if it has already used the franchise tag, or vice versa. "

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/nfl_franchise_tag_2017_everything_you_need_to_know.html

No they TOTALLY can.  In fact the Skins can use the transition tag infinitely (the cost increase of 20% per year would be insane tho)

They had an agent on Redskins radio this morning that broke it down beautifully.  Catch the podcast on ESPN 980 Cooley and Kevin if you like :) to learn about it!  Great listen!

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i hope cousins goes to denver.  it's a good fit and would free up one of the qbs for us, assuming mccags has the balls to take one.

Elway and their entire team desperately want him.  You should have heard some of the things they said about him prior and after the game in DC a week or so ago.

But Denver doesn't have the cap space.   The Skins would easily match anything they could offer.

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Denver is not a Super Bowl contender.  There is a reason they are picking 5th and it's not all on the QB situation.  

simian had 12 tds and 14 picks for a 73.3 qb rating, with a 59% completion %.  paxton lynch had 2 tds and 3 picks for a 72 qb rating, while osweiler had 5 tds and 5 picks with a 55.8% completion rate and a 72.5 qb rating.  

qb had a lot to do with how bad this team is. 

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah now I’m all in. 

Pay him $40 mill guaranteed in year 1

If they are going to go crazy over this guy, that's the way to do it.  if it happens, it happens.  I'm just not on board at this point, but won't jump out a window if it happens.  At least they did something

2 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

Elway and their entire team desperately want him.  You should have heard some of the things they said about him prior and after the game in DC a week or so ago.

But Denver doesn't have the cap space.   The Skins would easily match anything they could offer.

this is where i wonder if cousins would take less money to go to a better place.  the afc sucks, and why go to the east where brady is still good?  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'd like to put good credence into the Redskins fans posts on here but how do we know he is not the Unitewhofan or nyjunc of the redskins fan base?  (eyes narrow with suspicion)

Haha I'm sure a mod could probably confirm that I'm coming from a different IP addy in VA.

Most Skins fans are bitter at Bruce Allen and I truly will be rooting for Kirk to go to a team to make the Skins look like even more the fools they are (can that be possible??)

Feel free to ask question so I can prove who I am! (non jets fan)

Just now, Augustiniak said:

simian had 12 tds and 14 picks for a 73.3 qb rating, with a 59% completion %.  paxton lynch had 2 tds and 3 picks for a 72 qb rating, while osweiler had 5 tds and 5 picks with a 55.8% completion rate and a 72.5 qb rating.  

All playing behind the same offensive line, handing off to the same running backs and throwing to the same receiving corpse...

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I said it wasn't the only problem.  The defense was too inconstant. 

Just now, EM31 said:

All playing behind the same offensive line, handing off to the same running backs and throwing to the same receiving corpse...

what's your point?  i say all those qbs suck.  osweiler sucked in houston too with a better cast.  simian was a 7th rounder who has already maxed out and is at best a career backup.  lynch is a disaster.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is where i wonder if cousins would take less money to go to a better place.  the afc sucks, and why go to the east where brady is still good?  

Its hard to decipher where Kirk would or would not want to play.  Again he ALWAYS says the right things and leaves but scraps to interpret.  Supposedly he is doing a conference this Friday (for raising charity money) and he will answer some big questions with Grant Paulsen (competing radio station to ESPN 980 - which is Dan Snyder owned and Kirk won't go on)

If I had to guess he would be the anti-Josh Rosen.   Kirk would be comfortable wherever he went and was wanted.

38 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

I am so happy that you posted this article!!

So many folks out here are delusional in their thinking. 

Thay somehow Cousins is slightly better than say Josh McCown when a person looking at reality can see that Cousins has had to do more with less than McCown this year and still put up better numbers than him   

Just now, Augustiniak said:

what's your point?  i say all those qbs suck.  osweiler sucked in houston too with a better cast.  simian was a 7th rounder who has already maxed out and is at best a career backup.  lynch is a disaster.  

Your position is that they all suck but another reading of things is that they were all asked to play in sucky circumstances.... or both.  You seem to preclude the possibility of the latter.

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Your position is that they all suck but another reading of things is that they were all asked to play in sucky circumstances.... or both.  You seem to preclude the possibility of the latter.

yes.  it's tough to think that the broncos offensive situation was worse than the jets, before considering qb.  mccown is a better qb than the crap the broncos had.  as soon as petty came in the offense sucked.  mccown would have done better on denver than these scrubs, none of whom will be in the league in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am so happy that you posted this article!!

So many folks out here are delusional in their thinking. 

Thay somehow Cousins is slightly better than say Josh McCown when a person looking at reality can see that Cousins has had to do more with less than McCown this year and still put up better numbers than him   

Advanced stats models and the geeks LOVE them some Kirk Cousins.  He's top 3-5 QB in that regard.  The eye test to me probably ranks him more like 5-8 but outside of Rodgers and Brady there isn't a better QB (well Wentz I guess) I'd rather have at this point going forward.

The people who knock his "win/loss" are the type who think Trent Dilfer is better than Marino because he has a ring and Marino does not.  Football is a team game.  Its true the QB has a big impact but there really are only 2 QBs in the league who can turn junk around them into treasure.  Kirk is in that next tier.  He just needs an above average team to make them a contender.  The Skins are NOT that...especially on D and ST which has cost them more games than I can count.

1 hour ago, Ovechkin8 said:

Thank you again!!

IMO folks who say he is going to make $30 Million a year are not paying full attention to the fact that  in 5 years that will seem like a steal. 

Have a question for the guys who are all in with Cousins.

How would you feel if the Skins tag him again at 34.4 M, then offer him to the Jets in a trade ,for say, both our 2's, are you still all in?

Went over to the Skins board that @Ovechkin8 mentioned in a post, that was one of the suggestions made by one of their fans.  Have to say the vast majority of them want to retain Cousins .

So are you still all in with a trade at that price?

Archived