Do we really want Kirk Cousins?

Freemanm

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is where i wonder if cousins would take less money to go to a better place.  the afc sucks, and why go to the east where brady is still good?  

Jets could be fixed REAL QUICK, with 3 top 50 picks & 100 million in cash. If you look closely at Denver/Arizona, they are older teams with high paid veterans. Thomas & Sanders are over 30! Denvers defense is super high paid! 

If they Jets signed Cousins/Landry/Jensen & Fuller or Johnson, the oldest WR on the Jets would be Kearse & he's still got 2/3 good years in him. They'll probably have a stud 2nd round RB like Love/Michel or Chubb & Powell (older) + McGuire (young). Jets have a decent front (Leo), decent LBs (lee/Jenkins/Davis) & could add another, stud safeties (no way these guys aren't better in 2nd year), and a bunch of unknowns at the 2nd CB spot if they sign Johnson or Fuller (Clark/Jones/Robinson/Coleman/Bryson) That's 5 guys where someone could emerge.

I look at teams like Denver- Arizona as teams whose trajectory is heading down. Like the 2016 Jets were. You take McCown- Forte- Skrines ages off this roster & its very, very young. Landry is 25, Fuller is 25/Johnson is 27/Jensen will be 27. If Macc only targets young studs, this is totally different than past free agent periods before Macc arrived here.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Have a question for the guys who are all in with Cousins.

How would you feel if the Skins tag him again at 34.4 M, then offer him to the Jets in a trade ,for say, both our 2's, are you still all in?

Went over to the Skins board that @Ovechkin8 mentioned in a post, that was one of the suggestions made by one of their fans.  Have to say the vast majority of them want to retain Cousins .

So are you still all in with a trade at that price?

Nope. And I love cousins but at that point I'd go Bridgewater/Keenum/Taylor and draft a QB if one we love falls. Jets could come away with a draft like Mayfield/Rudolph, Love/Michel/Chubb, stud olineman, ect. 

I like Cousins a lot. To me, he’s top 10-15 range, a franchise quarterback. You can win a Super Bowl with that. I’d sign him for 4/5 years. This is the route I expect Mac to go most aggressively. It is the most conservative and safest bet for him to retain his job. He completely whiffed on Hack, when half the front office begged him to stay away. If he whiffs on another, he’s gone next year for sure.

If Mac signs Cousins he can forget the QB position for a few yearsane build the rest of the roster safely without the fear of evaluating and drafting the hardesr position in all of sports to do both. I expect Jets will make the biggest $ offer to Cousins.

But, I also would be fine with saving $, signing Bridgewater to a 2 year deal, $ guarenteed for the first only, and still drafting our guy in the first round. Pending physical, I think Bridgewatwr is right in Cousins’ area of talent. Luckily, Bridgewater was never a run first QB, so if he lost explosiveness in his knee, he can still be a pocket passer as he was.

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like Cousins a lot. To me, he’s top 10-15 range, a franchise quarterback. You can win a Super Bowl with that. I’d sign him for 4/5 years. This is the route I expect Mac to go most aggressively. It is the most conservative and safest bet for him to retain his job. He completely whiffed on Hack, when half the front office begged him to stay away. If he whiffs on another, he’s gone next year for sure.

If Mac signs Cousins he can forget the QB position for a few yearsane build the rest of the roster safely without the fear of evaluating and drafting the hardesr position in all of sports to do both. I expect Jets will make the biggest $ offer to Cousins.

But, I also would be fine with saving $, signing Bridgewater to a 2 year deal, $ guarenteed for the first only, and still drafting our guy in the first round. Pending physical, I think Bridgewatwr is right in Cousins’ area of talent. Luckily, Bridgewater was never a run first QB, so if he lost explosiveness in his knee, he can still be a pocket passer as he was.

I'm right there with you on this. Love Cousins but who knows? As crazy as this is, is Cousins close to Joe Gibbs at all? I know Gibbs is beloved in Washington. I'm only saying this because Joe Gibbs is VERY FOND of Todd Bowles & guess what, all three of these men are staunch Christians. Don't laugh, religion is a fraternity. So maybe he takes comfort in accepting a huge amount of money to play for a like minded fellow who comes highly regarded by one of the greatest coaches of all time.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm right there with you on this. Love Cousins but who knows? As crazy as this is, is Cousins close to Joe Gibbs at all? I know Gibbs is beloved in Washington. I'm only saying this because Joe Gibbs is VERY FOND of Todd Bowles & guess what, all three of these men are staunch Christians. Don't laugh, religion is a fraternity. So maybe he takes comfort in accepting a huge amount of money to play for a like minded fellow who comes highly regarded by one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Not sure if Cousins and Gibbs are close, but yeah i know how seriously religion can be in making decisions. 

Mac has tried to trade for or at least inquired about trading for Cousins twice. Like I said, I fully expect Mac to offer the highest and longest guarenteed deal out of anyone, to save his job. This signing would buy him another extension I believe and outlast Bowles if the Jets aren’t contending in 2019.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you again!!

IMO folks who say he is going to make $30 Million a year are not paying full attention to the fact that  in 5 years that will seem like a steal. 

Yes that's what must be realized.  While the amount might seem high this offseason in a few years it will be fine.  We can look at some QBs from 4-5 years ago and the contracts they signed and today it won't seem bad at all.

Also He is not Brock Ostweiller or Flynn.   Glennon is another.  These guys got around $15-18 million and were at best mediocre.   Cousins has PROVEN he's good. 

RE: Joe Gibbs - He would have LOVED Cousins.  Gibbs loved himself some washed up Brunell for example.  Brunell was very pious (he also drove Gibbs to the hospital in an emergency situation during negotiations..not relevant but a fun fact)  Patrick Ramsey had a quick hook when we used a 1st rounder and he showed some promise.

I do not think it will be a factor in Cousins decision.  Just my hunch.   More than anything Kirk wants some "love" and some team who truly believes in him and wants him there.

Quick story...in RGIII rookie season the Skins were on a winning streak and a longshot for playoffs.  They were down by 8 late in the game vs the Ravens late in the season when RG got hurt.  Enter Cousins who throws a TD and 2pt conversion.  They win the game.  

Next week RGIII, scared he'd lose his job (he was VERY insecure), wanted to play but the docs said no.  Cousins in his first start destroys Clevelend with 300+ yards and 2 or 3 TDs.  (Cleveland was actually a decent team at the time and one on the rise if you can believe it)

After the game Dan and Bruce came down to the locker room, walked right by Cousins without acknowledging him and went to console RGIII and reassure him its his job.

5 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

Yes that's what must be realized.  While the amount might seem high this offseason in a few years it will be fine.  We can look at some QBs from 4-5 years ago and the contracts they signed and today it won't seem bad at all.

Also He is not Brock Ostweiller or Flynn.   Glennon is another.  These guys got around $15-18 million and were at best mediocre.   Cousins has PROVEN he's good. 

RE: Joe Gibbs - He would have LOVED Cousins.  Gibbs loved himself some washed up Brunell for example.  Brunell was very pious (he also drove Gibbs to the hospital in an emergency situation during negotiations..not relevant but a fun fact)  Patrick Ramsey had a quick hook when we used a 1st rounder and he showed some promise.

I do not think it will be a factor in Cousins decision.  Just my hunch.   More than anything Kirk wants some "love" and some team who truly believes in him and wants him there.

Quick story...in RGIII rookie season the Skins were on a winning streak and a longshot for playoffs.  They were down by 8 late in the game vs the Ravens late in the season when RG got hurt.  Enter Cousins who throws a TD and 2pt conversion.  They win the game.  

Next week RGIII, scared he'd lose his job (he was VERY insecure), wanted to play but the docs said no.  Cousins in his first start destroys Clevelend with 300+ yards and 2 or 3 TDs.  (Cleveland was actually a decent team at the time and one on the rise if you can believe it)

After the game Dan and Bruce came down to the locker room, walked right by Cousins without acknowledging him and went to console RGIII and reassure him its his job.

Let's make sure our crosses are hanging outside of our clothing & go git us a darn QB I say! 

YOU LIKE THAT!

Just now, Jetster said:

Let's make sure our crosses are hanging outside of our clothing & go git us a darn QB I say! 

YOU LIKE THAT!

You all would LIKE THAT!

Ha.  I'm hoping the Skins find a way to keep him.

My guess?  Skins transition him this year.   Unless a team offers substantial compensation (a 1st and a 2nd for example) the Skins tell his agent they will match any sane offer.  Other teams will just wait it out another year.

Next year?  Skins transition him AGAIN!  They keep up the charade until a team forks over compensation.  Some team will get impatient and give up the picks.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd like to put good credence into the Redskins fans posts on here but how do we know he is not the Unitewhofan or nyjunc of the redskins fan base?  (eyes narrow with suspicion)

LOL

Even though his arguments were intelligently presented, that was also my suspicion. So I went to the Skins board he mentioned to see what other Skins fans felt about Cousins.

I was really surprised.  Even with the Skins being as bad as the Jets, and Cousins seeming like he was being very greedy, about 75% or so of the posters really love him.  Put all the blame for the mess on the FO.  That's rare in a fan base where a player seems to be rejecting their franchise.

At 7am I was completely opposed to giving Cousins 30M.  I've come around 180 degrees.  I'm on board.  The Skins fans have seen every snap the guy has taken on a bad team, and still want him back at a big cost.  IMO that speaks volumes.  

I still wouldn't let him jerk the Jets around and use them to build his value.  As @David Harris has suggested I'd offer him a ton of money in the first year making it difficult for Washington to match.  Give him 2 weeks to decide.

OK I'm on board, pay the man  

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Even though his arguments were intelligently presented, that was also my suspicion. So I went to the Skins board he mentioned to see what other Skins fans felt about Cousins.

I was really surprised.  Even with the Skins being as bad as the Jets, and Cousins seeming like he was being very greedy, about 75% or so of the posters really love him.  Put all the blame for the mess on the FO.  That's rare in a fan base where a player seems to be rejecting their franchise.

At 7am I was completely opposed to giving Cousins 30M.  I've come around 180 degrees.  I'm on board.  The Skins fans have seen every snap the guy has taken on a bad team, and still want him back at a big cost.  IMO that speaks volumes.  

I still wouldn't let him jerk the Jets around and use them to build his value.  As @David Harris has suggested I'd offer him a ton of money in the first year making it difficult for Washington to match.  Give him 2 weeks to decide.

Its across the fanbase.  For the record I only lurk on ES.  I think I tried to register there once and they never got back to me.  Oh well.  Even on the Caps message board there is a huge debate on Cousins and overall every poll is about the same.  70-90% of the fanbase wants him back.

Everyone HATES Bruce Allen.  In fact Bruce Allen has fallen out of favor moreso than Dan Snyder I think!  That's hard to do!  Allen's botching of the Cousins situation from Day 1 was the biggest mistake.  (Scot Mac wanted to sign him to a long term deal in 2015 but Bruce vetoed it)

Its funny what the perspective on this situation is outside of DC.   Inside the area we all KNOW Bruce Allen is a farce and throws shade on Cousins and his agent wherever he can ("see guys..its not OUR fault!! Kirk is GREEDY!)

Its easy for outside markets to eat that up since they are more worried about their own teams.  But inside we all know Allen is just a slimy politician who just wants to look good despite botching this.

Sporting News on the latest on the Kirk Cousins competition ...

Kirk Cousins was the talk of last year’s free-agent market, but the Redskins opted to put the franchise tag on him again. That won't be the case this year. The Redskins will either have to sign him to a long-term deal or let him leave.

At this point, it looks to be a two-team race for Cousins: the Redskins or the Broncos. The Redskins haven’t done themselves any favors with how they’ve handled Cousins since the 2012 draft, but the fact he has grown comfortable in Washington with coach Jay Gruden and stayed relatively upright thanks to offensive line coach Bill Callahan should make Washington the clear favorite.

The Broncos have made it clear to those close to Cousins that they’re ready to make a big offer. Over the last two seasons, since moving on from Peyton Manning and letting Brock Osweiler walk (before bringing him back), the Broncos have spent the least of any NFL team on quarterback (less than $7 million combined over 2016 and ’17). Denver vice president John Elway needs to spend at quarterback to win.

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

Kirk Cousins was the talk of last year’s free-agent market, but the Redskins opted to put the franchise tag on him again. That won't be the case this year. The Redskins will either have to sign him to a long-term deal or let him leave.

At this point, it looks to be a two-team race for Cousins: the Redskins or the Broncos. The Redskins haven’t done themselves any favors with how they’ve handled Cousins since the 2012 draft, but the fact he has grown comfortable in Washington with coach Jay Gruden and stayed relatively upright thanks to offensive line coach Bill Callahan should make Washington the clear favorite.

The Broncos have made it clear to those close to Cousins that they’re ready to make a big offer. Over the last two seasons, since moving on from Peyton Manning and letting Brock Osweiler walk (before bringing him back), the Broncos have spent the least of any NFL team on quarterback (less than $7 million combined over 2016 and ’17). Denver vice president John Elway needs to spend at quarterback to win.

Seen this coming a MILE away.

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Dude I’m kinda where you are...lol.

im not doing a complete 180.  I love the draft QB’s but I would not be mad at all if we pulled it off..but as someone just posted..Denver is prepared to give their all to get him.

3 hours ago, Ovechkin8 said:

OK I'm a glutton for this kind of stuff (and punishment since I'm a Skins fan) and I have a compelling need to read other message boards in situations like this and couldn't resist replying.

I've watched every single snap Cousins has played as a Skin (never saw him in college).   Its funny that this thread is exactly like threads on Broncos message board, Niners (pre JG) and even at Extreme Skins!!

Same arguments but I'll bring you all the FAX!

Cousins is an OUTSTANDING QB.  The only question is if he is worth the Cap.  To those who argue he sucks you clearly have not followed the skins enough to form an insightful opinion in my mind.

The only reason the Redskins have won 9, 8 and 7 games is because of him.  The Skins D has been bottom 3-5 over the last 3 years.  Our running game is brutal.  This year the departures of Garcon and Jackson were not replaced by Pryor and Doctson (who looks like a bust quite honestly).  Jordan Reed and Thompson combined played half the games.  We were on our 6th running back and 3rd string O linemen.

I agree completely with everyone who is pro cousins here.  The Skins have botched the entire negotiation process (There is a saga I could write about it and there are Washington Post articles you can find that document it) due to Bruce Allen's ego (who ran our legit GM out of town)

Mike Shanahan was right all along.  Cousins is a top 5-10 QB that can win a superbowl easy.  His career trajectory is similar to Brees but he's had far less to work with around him.  To those who compared him to Neil O'Donnell (who I watched when he was with Pittsburgh) you are sorely mistaken.

Finally outside of his skills and stats there isn't a better human being any team would want representing their team.   This guy should run for president for real.  He says ALL the right things and his team mates love him.

He is elite and better than Stafford and Carr.

It must be endlessly frustrating to have one of the most talented Hockey players of all time and never reach a Cup Finals though.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It must be endlessly frustrating to have one of the most talented Hockey players of all time and never reach a Cup Finals though.

As an Oiler fan with McDavid on the team and the fact we are missing the playoffs, this line hurts my soul.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

No doubt.  Its across Washington sports.  There is a malaise.  The Nationals and Caps are chokers.  The Skins are run by keystone cops.  The Wizards are all talk and mostly suck.

That Sporting News report couldn't be more wrong.   There is a 99% chance the Skins tag him.  Closer to 100%.  Broncos could make a big offer sure.  But one the Skins could match.  Thus Cousins won't sign it.   Elway would have to bribe the Skins with picks to do so and he very well might.  But Cleveland and the Jets have the most cap space to make an offer the Skins couldn't match with huge ($50mil frontloaded) $$

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

We should back up the Brinks for Cousins

but I don’t see anyway he’d ever pick us over a Super Bowl contender like the Denver Broncos

But do the Denver Broncos have WORLD class facilities like Florham Park does? I think not. 

1 minute ago, Ovechkin8 said:

No doubt.  Its across Washington sports.  There is a malaise.  The Nationals and Caps are chokers.  The Skins are run by keystone cops.  The Wizards are all talk and mostly suck.

That Sporting News report couldn't be more wrong.   There is a 99% chance the Skins tag him.  Closer to 100%.  Broncos could make a big offer sure.  But one the Skins could match.  Thus Cousins won't sign it.   Elway would have to bribe the Skins with picks to do so and he very well might.  But Cleveland and the Jets have the most cap space to make an offer the Skins couldn't match with huge ($50mil frontloaded) $$

I actually like Ovi - I mean, I hate him.  But, I like him a lot.

I've really stayed out of the Cousins conversation, because I just don't see any scenario where he's a Jet.  I just don't buy it.  If he actually hits the market, then I think it's worth talking about.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I actually like Ovi - I mean, I hate him.  But, I like him a lot.

I've really stayed out of the Cousins conversation, because I just don't see any scenario where he's a Jet.  I just don't buy it.  If he actually hits the market, then I think it's worth talking about.

Yeah it would be tragic if the team didn't win a cup for him and he ended his career without one.  But it happens in sports to guys like Marino.

Only difference is Marino was a big jerk to fans and his own team constantly yelling at them and just being like that.  Ovechkin is the exact opposite.

Cousins WILL be one the market.  There is no way the Skins use the Exclusive tag and pay him like $34-35 million next year. 

25 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Really can't give this article much credibility.  It's not even close to a 2 team race.   Author didn't do his homework.  Yes, I'm sure that Denver is very interested.  They also only have 24.5M in cap space.  

If the Jets are all in with him, and they probably are, they tried to trade for him a few years ago knowing he wanted a new contract, they have more then enough fire power to make it happen.  Just a poor article

48 minutes ago, Ovechkin8 said:

You all would LIKE THAT!

Ha.  I'm hoping the Skins find a way to keep him.

My guess?  Skins transition him this year.   Unless a team offers substantial compensation (a 1st and a 2nd for example) the Skins tell his agent they will match any sane offer.  Other teams will just wait it out another year.

Next year?  Skins transition him AGAIN!  They keep up the charade until a team forks over compensation.  Some team will get impatient and give up the picks.

IMO this isn't how you run a team if the Skins do this; it is the poster child of poor management.  Other players on the team see how you are essentially screwing Cousins over by not negotiating with him in good faith. How does that play out?

Everyone wants money, but despite what people often say out here, money isn't the only thing that motivates people.  By hamstringing a player from long term security (for his "family") doesn't go well with anyone. 

If they do this they will have an unhappy player and losing team.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

This is a Wonderful offbeat post and shows tremendous insight!!!

Thank you!!!! :) 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

IMO this isn't how you run a team if the Skins do this; it is the poster child of poor management.  Other players on the team see how you are essentially screwing Cousins over by not negotiating with him in good faith. How does that play out?

Everyone wants money, but despite what people often say out here, money isn't the only thing that motivates people.  By hamstringing a player from long term security (for his "family") doesn't go well with anyone. 

If they do this they will have an unhappy player and losing team.

Cousins is a true professional and is very positive.  He will just bank the guaranteed 62 million the next 2 years and his contract will be gargantuan after that since at some point another team will pull the trigger or the skins won't match.  Again just a guess.

The franchise tag is unfair to most top end players in the league.  Except for QBs

50 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dude I’m kinda where you are...lol.

im not doing a complete 180.  I love the draft QB’s but I would not be mad at all if we pulled it off..but as someone just posted..Denver is prepared to give their all to get him.

I like the QB's in this draft too.  I never bought into the "Suck for Sam" deal, think he's going to be good, but not a sure lock franchise QB.

IMO all 4 of the QB's  have high potential,  and are closely grouped together.  I just didn't want the Jets to get squeezed out of the market by meaningless wins.  They are on the edge of that now.

If Cousins starts playing around after being offered close to 30M -40 first year, I pick up my offer and sign Bridgewater,who I really liked when he came out, and draft Mayfield

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I like the QB's in this draft too.  I never bought into the "Suck for Sam" deal, think he's going to be good, but not a sure lock franchise QB.

IMO all 4 of the QB's all have high potential,  and are closely grouped together.  I just didn't want the Jets to get squeezed out of the market by meaningless wins.  They are on the edge of that now.

If Cousins starts playing around after being offered close to 30M -40 first year, I pick up my offer and sign Bridgewater,who I really liked when he came out, and draft Mayfield

This is a scenerio I could go for Bridgewater will come cheaper with health risks. Mayfield I liked how he looked off receivers in Georgia game something our QBS have not done in ages. Brings some color to QB position instead of retreads we have dealt with forever

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

This article is lazy as hell. Not only does Denver not have a lot of cap dollars the highest paid players are no spring chickens. Von Miller will be 29, Brandon Marshall LB 29, D Thomas 31, E Sanders 31, Wolf 28, Chris Harris 29, Talib 32. Peko who makes 4.2 is gonna be 34! This team is very much like the Jets were in 2016. Weak Oline, older skill players ect. Why would any QB find that situation better than a Jet team with 100 million, 3 picks in the top 50 & a decent amount of very young good players, a helluva lot more than the Broncos have? They would have to rework or flat out CUT some very productive veterans that as we all know, aren't that easily replaced immediately by younger players.

Archived