IF you had to choose

CanadaSteve

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're not mistaken at all.  I don't generally watch minor league football, no.

But I do my research when it comes to scouting the draft-to-come.  As an example, I watched every snap of the Rose Bowl.

I was surprised by your definitive statement   " Neither Rosen nor Darnold will prove to be worth the #1/#2 overall picks."  I would have to assume you would have to watch them play to make such a sure statement.  You've watched the Rose bowl so it's all good.  Which BTW was much more exciting then any NFL game I watched all year.

Option 1 all day because this franchise needs to excite the fan base and build around a blue chip QB. Yes, it's rolling the dice big time but the Jets "aim for the middle" strategy has failed them badly year after year so they need to change course and shoot for the moon for a change.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I just assume everyone hates RBs 

It makes zero sense for the Steelers to let Bell walk. If Big Ben comes back for another season, they will want to load up for another run and will need Bell. If Big Ben retires, whoever comes in to replace him will need Bell (especially if it is a young/rookie QB) to rely on a solid running game. Bell is versatile and consistently performing at a very high level. He is not 'injury prone'. There is simply no reason to let him walk. The Steelers will pony up the $$$. 

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It makes zero sense for the Steelers to let Bell walk. If Big Ben comes back for another season, they will want to load up for another run and will need Bell. If Big Ben retires, whoever comes in to replace him will need Bell (especially if it is a young/rookie QB) to rely on a solid running game. Bell is versatile and consistently performing at a very high level. He is not 'injury prone'. There is simply no reason to let him walk. The Steelers will pony up the $$$. 

Yeah seems they will tag him. 

Jimmy Graham it is then! 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Which rebuild would you most likely be supportive of and why:

OPTION 1

Jets move up to #1 and draft Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold:

It costs them: This Years #1 (6) This years #2 (55) and NEXT year's #1

With their second pick (#38) they draft OC Frank Ragnow

OPTION 2

Jets sign Alex Smith/Kirk Cousins in Free Agency

With their first pick #6 they draft Bradley Chubb or Harold Landry

with their 2nd pick (38) the Jets draft OC Frank Ragnow

with there other 2nd pick (55) the Jets draft QB Mason Rudolph/Luke Falk/Riley Ferguson

OPTION 3

Jets stay put at take what they get, whether it be BPA or taking a shot at Baker Mayfield/Lamar Jackson, or whoever else is left for a QB

They then use one pick for an OC, and one pick for whichever RB/Edge Rusher is best fit.

All options still give the Jets an opportunity to draft another RB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Option 1 potentially solves our QB situation for the next decade, but it hurts the rebuilding process by costing us two high draft picks (MINIMUM)

Option 2 solves our pass-rushing dilemma, and offers a stop-gap decent QB option, but rolls the dice on yet another QB developing. 

Option 3 potentially solves QB issue, if you think Mayfield or Jackson or whoever is worth drafting that high.

Both options have us drafting Frank Ragnow.  We NEED to address this problem, and Ragnow, Billy Pryce, or Isaiah Wynn will be there with our first 2nd rounder.  I just am using this in the hopes it will be Ragnow. 

Option 1: I think it will cost the Jets too much. And they don't exactly have a good track record for developing QBs. Too much of a gamble to give up so much for an unproven player, IMO. 

Option 2: No to Alex Smith. But I like the idea of addressing the QB position with Cousins and addressing a different position of need with a high 1st round draft pick. Heck, they may even decide to trade down, which is typically easier to do that moving up. 

Option 3: This is the most likely option, IMO. I have a feeling Cousins will either stay in Washington or go to the Broncos or another team that is closer to being a contender than the Jets. And I think a move up in the draft for a QB will be too rich for Macc's blood. He will stay pat and draft BPA, even if it is not a QB. 

Personally, I like Option 2 the most. IF we can get Cousins. Then we would have plaenty of draft picks to address other critical needs- RB, Edge, O-line, etc.   

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

You've watched the Rose bowl so it's all good.  Which BTW was much more exciting then any NFL game I watched all year.

My wife and I said the exact same thing, all through the game.

Close to no penalties.  Constant interesting action.  

Well I'd thought I'd last longer than this. Its January 2nd and I'm already tired of "Who they gonna draft?" "What would you do?" "Which QB do you want?" "Todd Bowles needs to be fired right now." "Macc is a great GM because:" "Which hypothetical bunch of bullsh*t do you fancy?" "Hack is a bust." "Kirk Cousins(insert any tag line here)" "Adams was a great pick there". "We can always stock up on safeties if miss out on a QB". You get the idea. Pitchers and Cathchers report when?

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well I'd thought I'd last longer than this. Its January 2nd and I'm already tired of "Who they gonna draft?" "What would you do?" "Which QB do you want?" "Todd Bowles needs to be fired right now." "Macc is a great GM because:" "Which hypothetical bunch of bullsh*t do you fancy?" "Hack is a bust." "Kirk Cousins(insert any tag line here)" "Adams was a great pick there". "We can always stock up on safeties if miss out on a QB". You get the idea. Pitchers and Cathchers report when?

In Brady's lockeroom , pictchers and catchers are always active. 

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Option 3. Because of his size, I can't see Mayfield going earlier than 6 despite all the current excitement. I don't think Rosen will stay healthy, I think Darnold needs another year at school.

I can tolerate another year of Kumbaya and Josh McCown's infectious positivity if they draft a qb at 6. I'd like Mayfield but I'm not so naive to think that they are automatically thinking qb round 1.

McC did not have the cajones to draft Mahones...I would not be shocked to see him go free agent qb / defense again in round one and pick another "developmental" qb in round two or beyond. Apparently we learned today in his press conference that quarterbacks develop at different speeds. We will need multiple year time lapse photography to see the progress of the Hack.

Mac and Bowles seem old school ball control, "defense wins championships" kind of guys.

"Defense Wins Championships" is nice but all of the 1st rounders on the defense (there were at least 4) got us the 25th ranked defense this past year.  It sounds like we are in for more of the same.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Give me option 3

i want Baker Mayfield

Get Billy Price with the first #2, Get Sony Michel with the second #2

SPEND big money on the absolute BEST supporting cast possible. I mean really open up the check book for very good-elite players to put us over the top and watch Mayfield grow with real professionals and players around him. 

Now Option 3 isn’t for everyone but if you believe he can turn into something special like I do, you are on board with this.

I think this option is available to the Jets at 6.

Sign McCown to the same deal as last year, but give him a bonus of 250K for every game he starts.  That is fair for a starting QB.,  

Use the FA money for a Cb or 2, and hopefully someone to rush the passer.  

The second round draft picks go for a C and RB.

Have the 3rd string be Hack or Petty.  Hack can also go on the PS and they can draft someone else-Hack and draftee should compete for the PS.  Right answer is to see if anyone will trade something for Petty-anything.  

I don’t think Cousins idea is horrible either.  Not Smith.

The Jets’ roster is too inherently bad to trade draft picks for either players or a higher draft pick.   I will lose it if they trade a high draft pick for a player who is expensive. 

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The AWESOME thing is, you don't have to read the posts!

Depending on your team, pitchers and catchers report between Feb 12-15

I have a feeling the Patriots will be picking a QB in the end of round 1.  They have to start planning for Tom leaving, and they just ran out of time on Garrapolo.  Look for them to take a guy like Josh Allen, Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, or Mayfield. if he does one of those weird free-falls like Aaron Rodgers did.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Give me option 3

i want Baker Mayfield

Get Billy Price with the first #2, Get Sony Michel with the second #2

SPEND big money on the absolute BEST supporting cast possible. I mean really open up the check book for very good-elite players to put us over the top and watch Mayfield grow with real professionals and players around him. 

Now Option 3 isn’t for everyone but if you believe he can turn into something special like I do, you are on board with this.

"This" would be Great... only difference is if there is a great/very good pass rusher still available in the early 2nd I would have weigh the options. 

8 minutes ago, jetsons said:

"This" would be Great... only difference is if there is a great/very good pass rusher still available in the early 2nd I would have weigh the options. 

Definitely would weigh my options as well. I’d look at who I was able to get in FA and determine which position needs the most attention and i’d consider that with who I think the best prospect is when our pick is called. Say if we sign Ryan Jensen/Center and a middling but still decent Pass Rusher .. i’d still grab Billy Price if there isn’t an edge rusher as high or at least close to the value of Price. But if there is one as you are saying ..you definitely capitalize on what you couldn’t get done in FA. Best possible players is the key. No matter the position.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I have a feeling the Patriots will be picking a QB in the end of round 1.  They have to start planning for Tom leaving, and they just ran out of time on Garrapolo.  Look for them to take a guy like Josh Allen, Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, or Mayfield. if he does one of those weird free-falls like Aaron Rodgers did.

Luke Falk would fit them. 

8 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Ehh.. it’s all relevant Jet talk right now, man. Idk what else we could possibly go on about on here. It’s offseason time. Draft talk is actually fun IMO. But everyone has their own favorite flavor of tea I suppose.

The Jets have some $8something million in cap (pre-cuts), financial incentive to use it, and FA is a non-factor in all of these offseasons. 

Also Smith and Cousins are not interchangeable talents. Cousins is the only QB, unless Jimmy G hits FA, that should get any multi-year offers from this team. 

Out of the three presented as they are presented the easy choice is #1. At least that one isn’t pussyfooting around during this teeny tiny window to be aggressive the Jets have bought themselves. Option 2 and 3 are as SOJs as it gets. 2 is almost purposely bad, nobody in their right mind could see that as a desirable offseason. You’re not even garaunteed getting the best and most valuable player on that list, he can be swapped for a journeyman a half decade+ older! Then they force a second round pick with QBs they can probably land in rounds 4-7! 

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

The AWESOME thing is, you don't have to read the posts!

Depending on your team, pitchers and catchers report between Feb 12-15

Well this is the first time I was compelled to keep reading one of yours after the first line. I guess that's something.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ehh.. it’s all relevant Jet talk right now, man. Idk what else we could possibly go on about on here. It’s offseason time. Draft talk is actually fun IMO. But everyone has their own favorite flavor of tea I suppose.

Yeah I know. Seems like thats all we've been talking about for the whole season is all.

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well this is the first time I was compelled to keep reading one of yours after the first line. I guess that's something.

I feel honored that you would stoop so low......

Perhaps I should bitch more about Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan it would be more suitable to your tastes!

Archived