2018 Mets thread

adb280z

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I dont think it's sad for you best player to be a young emerging player.  We just need more of them.

My point is, I don't think he is that good. He's a nice little player, but when he is your best player, it means you don't have any high level talent on your team. Which is the case, and sad to e. I like Nimmo, glad to have him, he is a piece you can build with.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

My point is, I don't think he is that good. He's a nice little player, but when he is your best player, it means you don't have any high level talent on your team. Which is the case, and sad to e. I like Nimmo, glad to have him, he is a piece you can build with.

I hear you but I actually think he's pretty damn good.

Great read on him:

https://www.mlb.com/news/brandon-nimmo-reaches-base-in-8-straight-pas/c-278207290

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I hear you but I actually think he's pretty damn good.

Great read on him:

https://www.mlb.com/news/brandon-nimmo-reaches-base-in-8-straight-pas/c-278207290

Great read, thanks for sharing.

I will say he is better than I originally thought of him. Originally I thought of him as a nice 4th outfielder. Now I do agree that he is a legitimate starting OF'er. Which is great to have. I just don't see him as a legitimate star. Although I also admit that he is improving constantly and I guess I never saw Murphy as the star he became.

Very happy with him, would just like to have some higher ceiling talent. I always thought Conforto and Rosario had that high ceiling talent. It kind of seems now Nimmo is better than either. Hopefully those two can hit their potential and Nimmo is the real deal. 3 legit young guys, a few good starters like we have, and you can fill in the rest and our future is not as bleak as I think it is.

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Great read, thanks for sharing.

I will say he is better than I originally thought of him. Originally I thought of him as a nice 4th outfielder. Now I do agree that he is a legitimate starting OF'er. Which is great to have. I just don't see him as a legitimate star. Although I also admit that he is improving constantly and I guess I never saw Murphy as the star he became.

Very happy with him, would just like to have some higher ceiling talent. I always thought Conforto and Rosario had that high ceiling talent. It kind of seems now Nimmo is better than either. Hopefully those two can hit their potential and Nimmo is the real deal. 3 legit young guys, a few good starters like we have, and you can fill in the rest and our future is not as bleak as I think it is.

I think he's trending quickly in the direction of, you cant take him out of the line up type of player, which is great.  His OPS is high .991, that's pretty nasty.

The Conforto situation is just bizarre.  With a swing like he has, I really thought it was only a matter of time before he was a stud at the plate.  It's such a beautiful swing I would have never thought with this much experience he'd be slumping so bad.

Rosario, was always a glove first but I had no clue he swung at some much sh*t at the plate.  What will be interesting is our best prospect is young 19 year old shortstop, Andres Giminez. 

With Dom Smith not really going bonkers and they're teaching him outfield, Im wondering when my Florida boy Peter Alonso gets a look but I doubt it's this year. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think he's trending quickly in the direction of, you cant take him out of the line up type of player, which is great.  His OPS is high .991, that's pretty nasty.

The Conforto situation is just bizarre.  With a swing like he has, I really thought it was only a matter of time before he was a stud at the plate.  It's such a beautiful swing I would have never thought with this much experience he'd be slumping so bad.

Rosario, was always a glove first but I had no clue he swung at some much sh*t at the plate.  What will be interesting is our best prospect is young 19 year old shortstop, Andres Giminez. 

With Dom Smith not really going bonkers and they're teaching him outfield, Im wondering when my Florida boy Peter Alonso gets a look but I doubt it's this year. 

I agree that his OPS is awesome, and also agree you can't take him out of the lineup.

Conforto was finally starting to look like what we expected last year before his really bizarre injury. I mean, can that happen to anyone other than a Mets player? He didn't have a spring this year, so a slow start was expected, but now its looking like its more than just a slow start. Hopefully he can get back on track. He has always been very streaky.

I don't know much about Giminez, but hopefully he is the real deal. I am always very wary of Mets prospects, particularly offensive ones. They just never seem to pan out for some bizarre reason.

I can’t watch this ****n team anymore this year. They’re pathetic. They have given away game after game after game. If they hit, they can’t pitch. If they pitch, they can’t hit. It’s a joke. The injuries, the roster, the bad managerial moves...... it’s a no win situation. They started 11-1. Their record is now 26-26. Since that hot start they have gone 15-25.  Out of those 25 losses, they have GIVEN AWAY at least 20 of those games that could easily have been won. This bullpen SUCKS AZZ. The starting pitching is inconsistent. This team is old and is like a senior citizen softball team. Bruce is finished, Cespedes is ALWAYS hurt, Matz can’t stay healthy, Familia is a choke artist. Reyes needs to be CUT. Frazier is producing but is hurt and has NO help. Conforto cannot carry this team. Cabrera is a huge liability on defense. Gonzalez is just plain old and way past his prime. In reality, the only bright spots on this team are de Grom, Thor, Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario. Everyone else is expendable IMO. Clean HOUSE NOW. Rebuild. Start trading away these overpriced, older players. Cespedes, Familia, Bruce, Frazier, Cabrera, Gonzalez, Reyes, Wheeler, all need to go.  You can’t get something for nothing so we might as well clean house and bite the bullet. This is NOT going to get better but worse. Generate cap space for next year. Sign a phenom like Harper. Our farm system is shot. They have crap and no one on the horizon. It desperately needs to be replenished.  Alderson really needs to read the writing on the wall and remake this team- starting NOW!

4 hours ago, BigO said:

I can’t watch this ****n team anymore this year. They’re pathetic. They have given away game after game after game. If they hit, they can’t pitch. If they pitch, they can’t hit. It’s a joke. The injuries, the roster, the bad managerial moves...... it’s a no win situation. They started 11-1. Their record is now 26-26. Since that hot start they have gone 15-25.  Out of those 25 losses, they have GIVEN AWAY at least 20 of those games that could easily have been won. This bullpen SUCKS AZZ. The starting pitching is inconsistent. This team is old and is like a senior citizen softball team. Bruce is finished, Cespedes is ALWAYS hurt, Matz can’t stay healthy, Familia is a choke artist. Reyes needs to be CUT. Frazier is producing but is hurt and has NO help. Conforto cannot carry this team. Cabrera is a huge liability on defense. Gonzalez is just plain old and way past his prime. In reality, the only bright spots on this team are de Grom, Thor, Conforto, Nimmo and Rosario. Everyone else is expendable IMO. Clean HOUSE NOW. Rebuild. Start trading away these overpriced, older players. Cespedes, Familia, Bruce, Frazier, Cabrera, Gonzalez, Reyes, Wheeler, all need to go.  You can’t get something for nothing so we might as well clean house and bite the bullet. This is NOT going to get better but worse. Generate cap space for next year. Sign a phenom like Harper. Our farm system is shot. They have crap and no one on the horizon. It desperately needs to be replenished.  Alderson really needs to read the writing on the wall and remake this team- starting NOW!

I grew up a die hard Mets fan, I have stuck with this team through so many lean years, bad management, crappy decisions. My patience is starting to run really thin with this ownership group and also Alderson.

I loved Alderson's anti-Omar approach in his early days, but the guy has literally done almost nothing good since he got here outside of the Thor trade. His drafts have been absolutely awful, his handling of the bullpen has been borderline criminal, and his FA signings have been bad. The pitching staff that led us to 2015 was largely built by Omar. The Ces trade worked out great, but Alderson didn't even want to make that trade and was forced to when his plans a and b failed.

The owners are awful, and if I am not mistaken, Doubleday even warned us about this as he was leaving. I am finding it harder and harder to support this ownership group. 

31 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I grew up a die hard Mets fan, I have stuck with this team through so many lean years, bad management, crappy decisions. My patience is starting to run really thin with this ownership group and also Alderson.

I loved Alderson's anti-Omar approach in his early days, but the guy has literally done almost nothing good since he got here outside of the Thor trade. His drafts have been absolutely awful, his handling of the bullpen has been borderline criminal, and his FA signings have been bad. The pitching staff that led us to 2015 was largely built by Omar. The Ces trade worked out great, but Alderson didn't even want to make that trade and was forced to when his plans a and b failed.

The owners are awful, and if I am not mistaken, Doubleday even warned us about this as he was leaving. I am finding it harder and harder to support this ownership group. 

The Wilson’s are greedy slime balls. They sit on their money and do nothing to improve this team. They totally lucked out getting to the WS but of course that was a pipe dream anyways as they were easily beaten by a more balanced team. Keeping Collins on year after year was testament at how incompetent this organization is. Picking Alderson was a smart move to turn things around since they were so strapped financially. But as you noted, he hasn’t really come through. The farm system is totally shot. They have no arms, no bats. This team has holes everywhere and it’s showing up in every game they play. They are old, slow, lack quality hitters, are terrible defensively and are injury prone. This season is ALREADY shot to hell. And I really don’t see it getting any better in the near future. When Collins was first hired, I refused to watch the games the first few years. Alderson tinkered and produced some magic but it has been short lived. As it stands now, this team is in deep deep deep trouble. I am done watching this crap.

6 hours ago, BigO said:

Other than all that, Mrs. Lincoln....how was the play?

I'm honestly stressed about the possibility of Sandy trying to load up the bullpen with trades rather than doing the right thing and moving for top tier prospects. Like this is going to be the most important trade deadline for the Mets in a long time. The future of the franchise for the foreseeable future is at stake. Either he goes deeper into the failure of this current roster and we get nothing in return for it, and the farm system stays barren, or they can replenish the franchise and plan for the future.

And I really think he's gonna do the former.

Why?  Why do I keep watching?  What is the point?  

After driving up to Milwaukee last week.  Seeing Ramos unable to throw strikes in a walk-off loss on Friday night, and then I sat through that 17-6 nightmare on Saturday.  One would think that would be enough.  That it would be time to take a break from this team.  But no.  Every night this week, I subject myself to the same BS.  Last night, buddy of mine who is a Cub fan is texting me about how great Wheeler looks.  Mets are gonna win this one.  Nope, I told him.  Bullpen will come in and blow it.  Sure enough.  Like clockwork.  5 pitches.  That is all it took.  Sewald came in, threw 5 pitches and the game was tied.  4 more and we were losing.  Different game.  Same story.  Solid starting pitching.  Dreadful bullpen.

39 runs allowed by our pen in the last 36 innings over 9 games.  8.42 ERA and opponents are hitting about .360 against the pen in that span.  And that includes solid games in the two wins.  In the 7 losses, they have given up 37 runs in 25 innings and opponents hitting over .400.  We turn every hitter into Ted freakin Williams. 

Time for a new promo at Citi Field.  How about one lucky fan gets to pitch an inning in relief.  How much worse can it be.

6 straight.

1 run in the last 35 innings.

yesterday, we made Alex Cobb look like Cy Young.  Today, we made Dylan Bundy look like Walter Johnson.

And we have wasted what is probably the best stretch of starting pitching that we have gotten all year:

image.png

1.75 ERA for starters over the last 6 games.  All losses.  That is not easy to do.  And now we have the Yankees coming to town.

Lets Go Mets!!!

2 hours ago, Lith said:

6 straight.

yesterday, we made Alex Cobb look like Cy Young.  Today, we made Dylan Bundy look like Walter Johnson.

And we have wasted what is probably the best stretch of starting pitching that we have gotten all year:

image.png

1.75 ERA for starters over the last 6 games.  All losses.  That is not easy to do.  And now we have the Yankees coming to town.

Lets Go Mets!!!

I think losing as many as possible for the next month is the best route. This deadline is too important and the Mets can't afford to have Sandy thinking we're still in this thing. Earlier this week he was talking about optimism and all the injuries and yada yada yada, it sounded like if he sees a glimmer of hope he's gonna stick with these guys and that would absolutely wreck the franchise.

17 hours ago, Lith said:

6 straight.

image.png

Lets Go Mets!!!

And their last 13 of 15...

It's just, tough playing in NY, man.  Cant blame the team.  Gotta blame the city (ignore the cross town NY team who has won 30 World Series and are playing lights out). 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It's just, tough playing in NY, man.  Cant blame the team.  Gotta blame the city (ignore the cross town NY team who has won 30 World Series and are playing lights out). 

But the Yankees have been playing for about 115 years.  That means they have failed to win ~85 times.  We have only failed to win 54 times.  Therefore the Yankees have failed more than we have proving how tough it is to play in NY.

#MetsLogic

On 6/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lith said:

6 straight.

image.png

Lets Go Mets!!!

Your pitching is superb, bud  - having to bat 5 lefties against Lester was a crap position to be in. If you picked up Muchado and with Syndergaard back - I'd fear this team more than the 2015 squad that kicked our butts. 

I heard the stat last night and it blew me away--deGrom has pitched 16 games in which he gave up 1 ER and the Mets have lost the game. That's mind boggling.

They need to revamp the scouting department on position players.  It's such a catch 22, they don't have the offense to help this plus pitching staff, but don't have the minor leaguers to trade for help

Archived