2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, faba said:

Smith is going to get his chance Alonso should be right behind him if he does not show some potential

Alonso has a stick and he can hit for power...shocked he's not getting tapped on the shoulder to be honest.  I think he's hitting over 300 and has 15+ HR's this season alone in Binghamton.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:08 PM, JiF said:

Alonso has a stick and he can hit for power...shocked he's not getting tapped on the shoulder to be honest.  I think he's hitting over 300 and has 15+ HR's this season alone in Binghamton.

Alderson has said he is going to Vegas as next step so do not expect him to be called up till september

The Mets are "ready to entertain trade offers for virtually everyone" on the roster, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports.

According to Rosenthal, the Mets would prefer to hold on to Brandon Nimmo, Michael Conforto, Robert Gsellman, and Seth Lugo, and would be more open to trading Noah Syndergaard than Jacob deGrom.

DeGrom, having the best season of his career and in the midst of one of the more dominant stretches in recent memory, is under team control through 2020, while Syndergaard is under control through 2021. 

The 25-year-old Nimmo, who is having a breakout season, is under team control through the 2022 season, with Conforto (2021), Gsellman (2022), and Lugo (2022) also under team control for the foreseeable future. 

The Mets' goal is to get younger and more athletic, notes Rosenthal, who also says Jeurys Familia -- set for free agency after the season -- could be a strong trade candidate if he's healthy. 

Familia has a 2.70 ERA and 1.33 WHIP this season, though his four blown saves have overshadowed his strong numbers. 

The 30-38 Mets are 7.0 games behind the Nationals for the second Wild Card spot in the National League. 

1 hour ago, faba said:

The Mets are "ready to entertain trade offers for virtually everyone" on the roster, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports.

According to Rosenthal, the Mets would prefer to hold on to Brandon Nimmo, Michael Conforto, Robert Gsellman, and Seth Lugo, and would be more open to trading Noah Syndergaard than Jacob deGrom.

DeGrom, having the best season of his career and in the midst of one of the more dominant stretches in recent memory, is under team control through 2020, while Syndergaard is under control through 2021. 

The 25-year-old Nimmo, who is having a breakout season, is under team control through the 2022 season, with Conforto (2021), Gsellman (2022), and Lugo (2022) also under team control for the foreseeable future. 

The Mets' goal is to get younger and more athletic, notes Rosenthal, who also says Jeurys Familia -- set for free agency after the season -- could be a strong trade candidate if he's healthy. 

Familia has a 2.70 ERA and 1.33 WHIP this season, though his four blown saves have overshadowed his strong numbers. 

The 30-38 Mets are 7.0 games behind the Nationals for the second Wild Card spot in the National League. 

Good, at least their not fooling themselves.  Although, it really would be a shame to deal either Noah or Jacob.  How often do teams deal their best pitchers?  I mean, I know we need bats and gloves but I just feel like those types of guys are born each year (just never with the Mets) and you could hope to luck into a couple.  Ace pitchers?  So much harder to find.  I mean, deGrom is pitching like the best pitcher in the game right now. 

On 6/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how the LA Times reported Kershaw will "forego a rehab assignment" coming off the DL.  There's no better "rehab assignment" than facing the New York Mets lineup. 

Facing the Mets is like a tune up.  It's the perfect recipe for a struggling ball club.  3-4 guaranteed wins.  It's rock bottom.  Tear it down and start over. 

Meanwhile, the Nats, Braves and Phillies are all loaded.  Like, the Nats are so loaded, they really dont even need to resign Harper.  The Braves look to be set up for another 10 year run and the Phillies all of a sudden look like the Braves last year.

Let's go Mets! 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Facing the Mets is like a tune up.  It's the perfect recipe for a struggling ball club.  3-4 guaranteed wins.  It's rock bottom.  Tear it down and start over. 

Meanwhile, the Nats, Braves and Phillies are all loaded.  Like, the Nats are so loaded, they really dont even need to resign Harper.  The Braves look to be set up for another 10 year run and the Phillies all of a sudden look like the Braves last year.

Let's go Mets! 

Yep.  We had our window and won a pennant.  It was fun while it lasted.  Time to start over.  Maybe try to have a good draft one of these years too. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  We had our window and won a pennant.  It was fun while it lasted.  Time to start over.  Maybe try to have a good draft one of these years too. 

Got to love those 2 year windows!!!

METS BABY!!!

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't get it other than to blame the Wilpons. Do we not spend on scouting? I know the Wilsons plan is to spend just enough so that if all breaks right we can sneak into a playoff spot, but does that even trickle down to the minor leagues? 

To me, scouting is cheap, you should spend as much as you need to on it, Latin America, other countries, US, spend on the scouts. Not a place to cut corners.

The Doubledays pretty much warned us on their way out. We are pretty fck'd as long as the Wilpons own the Mets. Best we can hope for is a 2 year window every 15 years or so. Pretty stupid for a NY team with a huge fan base. I hate the Wilpons, always have, always will.

14 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I don't get it other than to blame the Wilpons. Do we not spend on scouting? I know the Wilsons plan is to spend just enough so that if all breaks right we can sneak into a playoff spot, but does that even trickle down to the minor leagues? 

To me, scouting is cheap, you should spend as much as you need to on it, Latin America, other countries, US, spend on the scouts. Not a place to cut corners.

The Doubledays pretty much warned us on their way out. We are pretty fck'd as long as the Wilpons own the Mets. Best we can hope for is a 2 year window every 15 years or so. Pretty stupid for a NY team with a huge fan base. I hate the Wilpons, always have, always will. 

It also comes down to which college/HS players you're willing to negotiate with.  Sometimes, prior to drafting a player, teams will lowball a player at a particular spot, to the point where they say they won't sign, and the team moves on to a lesser prospect who WILL sign at that number.  I'm not sure if the Mets are known to be cheap with the prospects they look to draft, but that's a possible reason we have poor drafts as well. 

Dont worry guys.  Help is on the way:

https://nypost.com/2018/06/27/tim-tebow-suddenly-looking-like-a-pro-baseball-player/

The jokes have slowed considerably. The playful jabs have begun to subside. Tim Tebow is proving he belongs, and lately he’s doing more than that. He has been performing at a high level this month.

Just ask opposing Double-A managers who raved about the strides the former Heisman Trophy winner has made this year with the Mets’ affiliate in Binghamton. They have cited his improved plate discipline, pitch recognition and opposite-field power.

“He looks like a different guy than last year,” Double-A Hartford manager Warren Schaeffer told The Post in a phone interview.

After quitting football following failed stints with the Broncos and Jets, and signing in September 2016 with the Mets, the doubts were understandable. Tebow, who won two college football national championships at Florida, hadn’t played baseball since his junior year of high school. In 2017, Tebow hit just .226 with eight home runs and a .656 OPS split between Single-A Columbia and Port St. Lucie. At 30 years old, he didn’t exactly distinguish himself during spring training, either.

SEE ALSO

image.gif

Though his overall numbers for Binghamton aren’t overly impressive — Tebow had a slash line of .256/.335/.402 with five home runs and 27 RBIs through Monday — his .737 OPS through 224 plate appearances is 81 points better than the mark he posted a year ago. And over his previous 18 games he batted .321 (17-for-53) with an impressive .848 OPS. He hit safely in 11 of his previous 15 games, and had a stellar 315/.362/.481 slash line this month.

“I saw him last year at [Single-A] Columbia. He’s come a really long way,” Schaeffer said. “He’s a tough out right now. We had a really tough time against Tim Tebow. He hits fastballs well. He’s a strong kid. His approach has gotten a lot better. He’s spitting on pitches now he wasn’t early on this year. You can tell he works hard.

“Before, you could beat him with a lot of stuff. You beat him hard in, beat him soft away. He had a quite a few holes [in his swing] earlier on. Now the holes have gotten smaller and smaller.”

John Schneider, the manager of Double-A New Hampshire, said he sees a more fluid swing from Tebow, free and easy rather than the rigid one of a year ago. He’s getting the ball more in the air this year after producing a 61 percent groundball rate a season ago and had 18 extra-base hits to show for the mechanical change. He is striking out more — 82 so far — after fanning 126 times in 430 at-bats a year ago. Tebow homered off Hartford ace southpaw Peter Lambert, an at-bat that stuck with Schaeffer.

“To hold your own after being out of it for however long he had been, you got to give the guy credit,” Schneider said. “Baseball is a hard thing and hitting is a really hard thing. To show improvement and hold his own here in Double-A is pretty impressive.”

Mets reliever Tyler Bashlor, who was just called up from Binghamton, raved about Tebow’s work ethic. He said Tebow was one of the guys always putting in extra time on his swing and described him as a “great teammate” with an “incredible work ethic.”

Modal Trigger
Tim TebowBill Kostroun

“He’s there for the right reasons,” Bashlor said. “He’s trying to do what we all strive to do — make it here.”

An opposing scout familiar wth Tebow echoed the Double-A managers, noting improvements he has made.

“He is better,” the scout said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “He has shown the ability to hit the fastball. Not a double-plus fastball, but an average fastball. He has progressed. He still misses a lot of pitches down. The changeup, he doesn’t see at all.’’

The obvious question is: Has Tebow progressed enough to reach Queens as anything other than a cheap publicity stunt for a team playing out the string? A call-up to Triple-A Las Vegas likely would come first. But he’s at least making it a conversation.

“We’ve got guys who’ve been playing five, six, seven years not having the success he’s had at Double-A,” Double-A Harrisburg manager Matt LeCroy said. “A lot of people probably thought he could not do that and now he’s starting to thrive in Double-A.

Have not posted in awhile busy working this season has gone so bad it is hard to imagine- I would like to know when will be able to draft and nurture some decent position players that is the fault of this entire organization

• 3 weeks later...

8-10 months.  Then why is he playing now.  With the way the season is going, we wouldn't they just shut him down now, get the surgery and make sure he is ready to go as soon as possible next season.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

8-10 months.  Then why is he playing now.  With the way the season is going, we wouldn't they just shut him down now, get the surgery and make sure he is ready to go as soon as possible next season.

That makes no sense to wait. 

Not trying to pile on, but you aren't winning anything this year.   If he waits until November, he is missing a huge chunk of next year.   Do it now, he can be back April/May.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Absolute garbage return for Fams. Good lord with this ******* franchise. I think we might be the worst run franchise in baseball right now.

Agreed.  Fvckin shame how this team went from the WS to laughingstock in less than 3 years.  I have been a Met fan for too long to just walk away from this team, but I understand how some have done that.  For some reason, I am still looking forward to heading out to Wrigley next month when they head into Chicago.

I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, so I can't read the rest of this article, but Keith Law sums it up pretty well in his intro:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24160093/mlb-mets-get-weak-payoff-trading-jeurys-familia-early

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Fvckin shame how this team went from the WS to laughingstock in less than 3 years.  I have been a Met fan for too long to just walk away from this team, but I understand how some have done that.  For some reason, I am still looking forward to heading out to Wrigley next month when they head into Chicago.

I don't subscribe to ESPN Insider, so I can't read the rest of this article, but Keith Law sums it up pretty well in his intro:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24160093/mlb-mets-get-weak-payoff-trading-jeurys-familia-early

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole.

The A's are gonna turn around and trade Familia for better than they gave up if they go like 2-5 next week.

19 hours ago, Lith said:

And, the hits just keep coming.

Hand, foot, mouth disease, I mean what the actual ****.  Kids gets this.   12 year olds.  Stinky filthy kids who stick sh*t in their mouths with no regard and dont shower and dont brush their teeth get this sh*t.  Not a ******* 6'7 monster professional athlete.

Cespedes has ****ed up heels, he's in the game, his manager said he didnt know.  Ces spent the entire offseason with the Mets training staff focused on everything under this the sun on his brittle little body and it was all for nothing because his HEEL's have been ****ed up and nobody knew?  HOW?  WTF???

The fam trade?  For **** sake.  The A's will trade him and get more.  And NOBODY from the entire Mets front office even had a press conference about it.  NOBODY?  That's unheard of.  It's bush league.  You trade a player and dont even explain why?  

We have a CF (granted a Gator), who's 0-19 at the plate?  0-19.  Why is he still playing?  WT actual F?

Oh and the one thing to look forward to as a Mets fan (especially as a Gator), Tebow.  Yep. broke his hand and now the shot to at least get to see him at some point.  Gone!

I hate this ******* team with a passion.

///end rant

Go Mets! 

On 7/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, Lith said:

SELL THE ******* TEAM!!!

Nobody even had a presser about this. They gave Fam away for nothing, 10 days prior to the deadline and not a ******* person on the team has said a ******* word.

How?  How?  How? 

WT actual F????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, JiF said:

SELL THE ******* TEAM!!!

Nobody even had a presser about this. They gave Fam away for nothing, 10 days prior to the deadline and not a ******* person on the team has said a ******* word.

How?  How?  How? 

WT actual F????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Wilpons make Dolan and Woody look like good owners

Those clowns are still pleading poverty 10 years after Madoff

On 7/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Absolute garbage return for Fams. Good lord with this ******* franchise. I think we might be the worst run franchise in baseball right now.

Why the hissy fit brah? Its all good in Met land, member?

40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets just beat San Diego. Fun fact: That's their first series win since May.

And another fun fact.  Corey Oswalt got his first major league W today, but had to be pulled from the game after injuring his hand swinging the bat. 

7 hours ago, Lith said:

And another fun fact.  Corey Oswalt got his first major league W today, but had to be pulled from the game after injuring his hand swinging the bat. 

Snake bitten franchise.

As a Jets/Mets fan I have to re-evaluate all of my life choices.

Archived