2018 Mets thread

adb280z

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

So, um, Keith Hernandez....

i have no problem with what he said but I’m sure there will be a lot of people crying about it’s bullsh*t and not throwing at a guy 

I have no problem with it either.

The way guys are hanging out over the plate, diving into pitches and taking hacks without any fear, pitchers have to pitch inside. And, sometimes, batters get hit.

It was not a head hunting thing, it was at his torso. 

The sensitivity of batters these days, even on tight pitches, is way overdone. Bob Gibson would scoff.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, NJ said:

Having now been on both sides of the Daniel Murphy in Wrigley Field saga - there is no question what uniform I'd prefer he be wearing.

At the time, not bringing him back was the logical move to make on paper; but in hindsight that was the beginning of the end. All things held constant, it's really sad to think where this franchise might have been for the 2 years after their pennant run had they just kept him. Walker was fine and you certainly can't put the downturn on him, but I don't think there is any question that letting Murphy walk handed the Nats the division in 2016, and probably cost us another solid playoff run that year. At the very least, it cost us a Cubs/Mets rematch in October, and that would have been fun to see because the Mets were really clicking heading into that postseason before hitting a buzzsaw in Bumgarner.

All that said, I also think that if the Mets had paid him, he wouldn't have had the success that he did. Because Mets.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

At the time, not bringing him back was the logical move to make on paper; but in hindsight that was the beginning of the end. All things held constant, it's really sad to think where this franchise might have been for the 2 years after their pennant run had they just kept him. Walker was fine and you certainly can't put the downturn on him, but I don't think there is any question that letting Murphy walk handed the Nats the division in 2016, and probably cost us another solid playoff run that year. At the very least, it cost us a Cubs/Mets rematch in October, and that would have been fun to see because the Mets were really clicking heading into that postseason before hitting a buzzsaw in Bumgarner.

All that said, I also think that if the Mets had paid him, he wouldn't have had the success that he did. Because Mets.

I can't recall many that thought allowing Murphy to go out the time was a bad move. Me among those.

As a matter of fact, all teams passed on Murphy, and the Nats signed him to a discounted deal. 

Not dissimilar from the Justin Turner situation. Who saw that coming?

Either the Mets are very unfortunate, or they have problems recognizing and developing talent. I fear the latter.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

What’s crazy about that, is typical Mets move would be to resign Murphy, the home grown player and cheaper option, only to see him revert back to his old self, while letting Cespedes walk, saying that the production was an outlier and the co tract didn’t warrant what his future was gonna bring, and him going into being the perennial all star.  The Mets go opposite of what there history says there gonna do and still get burnt... can’t make this sh*t up. 

On 8/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Scott Dierking said:

I can't recall many that thought allowing Murphy to go out the time was a bad move. Me among those.

As a matter of fact, all teams passed on Murphy, and the Nats signed him to a discounted deal. 

Not dissimilar from the Justin Turner situation. Who saw that coming?

Either the Mets are very unfortunate, or they have problems recognizing and developing talent. I fear the latter.

Agreed, and seeing what Justin turner became sucked, but we also have the best pitcher in the game we drafted in the 9th round as a converted SS, that’s the way it goes sometimes 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Lith said:

Always a class act.  Hanging em up after playing one last homestand with the Mets.

I had honestly grown very tired of the rehab and comeback narrative, but you have to admit he is one class act. No doubt, the greatest positional player that the Mets have had for a career duration.

Now, let's get the GM in named in place. There were some nice revelations in the 2nd half in terms of talent and ability, and the Mets need to go aggressively into the offseason. Having Wright's money should help.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard on wfan that the Mets are getting turned down left and right for GM candidate interviews. Basically that the Mets are allowing a GM candidate interview other potential candidates or some sh*t like that. Doubleday warned us about what was coming with the Wilson’s. These guys are the absolute worst. It’s tragic that in this market, what the Mets have become. Sad thing is they are a few good moves from being competitive next year, and if they ever got in playoffs with their starters they could be dangerous

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I heard on wfan that the Mets are getting turned down left and right for GM candidate interviews. Basically that the Mets are allowing a GM candidate interview other potential candidates or some sh*t like that. Doubleday warned us about what was coming with the Wilson’s. These guys are the absolute worst. It’s tragic that in this market, what the Mets have become. Sad thing is they are a few good moves from being competitive next year, and if they ever got in playoffs with their starters they could be dangerous

Chernoff would be interesting. I hear read a lot of good things about Ng, but you would have to wonder what her player development skills would be like.

Hopefully they get someone that has an organizational philosophy (a la the Cardinals) that is taught at every level, to make promotions seamless and allow players to understand expectations at each level.

I will be interested to see the roles in the future for Ricco and Minaya. I think they each bring special skills, if they can still be a fit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 12:50 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

We just hired a guy with zero experience in running any part of a baseball team to run a baseball team.

Part of me agrees with you and the other part is pumped. There’s no way this guy leaves being the head of the baseball division to come to the Mets if he didn’t think the Mets had a shot at keeping degrom and Noah 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lith said:

Don't mind losing either of these guys, but it really depends on who the prospects are in the deal.  Please let it not be Kelenic.

That Kelenic isn’t a non starter is disturbing. Wasn’t happy hiring this dude and this sh*t certainly isn’t encouraging for things moving forward.

Done deal, pending physicals.  We get a great young closer who has 4 more years under team control, plus we take on 5 years and $120MM og salary for a 36 year old 2B coming of a PED suspension

So if have money right, sending Swarzak and Bruce to the Mariners frees up $23MM in 2019 and $14MM in 2020.  Plus the $20MM coming back our way in the trade.  Even with the Cano contract, we will have money to spend this year and next.  But I am afraid we are going to regret that Cano salary over the last 3 years of the contract. 

And if Kelenic turns out to be a stud, we are going to hate this one down the road unless we can do something special in the next two seasons.

I personally like the move... Bruuuuuuuuuuuce blo*s, Swarzak was on the rack most of the year, the other 3 prospects are all a toss up.  I really kiked Kelenic and I thought Dunn would have been OK but you never know. 

Maybe we should call up Bobby Bo and see if we can restructure his deal of 1.19 million until 2035 to 1 dollar per year paid to his great great grandkids until its paid off in 3030 so we can free up some extra cash.

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Relief pitcher and 2B is as deep as its ever been.  Kelenic was too steep a price to pay for a top-end reliever and salary relief. 

This move has limited upside and a VERY bad downside.  Do not like. 

Not trolling.

I thought the Mets should have gotten more money thrown in by Seattle.  

7 minutes ago, faba said:

Kelenic will be the key to this deal if he is really good Mets sacificed for the short term and will take a lot of blame for this deal

I just don't see the upside to this deal at all.  Salary relief only helps the Wilpons; it doesn't automatically mean Thor and deGrom will be here long-term.  Cano is 36.  So it just comes down to Diaz.  And bullpen only matters if you're a contender.

There's so many things that need to go right to make this deal even close to acceptable.  And like 8,000 things that can wrong to make it an awful trade. 

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  (Maybe worse)

Archived