adb280z

2018 Mets thread

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

So, um, Keith Hernandez....

i have no problem with what he said but I’m sure there will be a lot of people crying about it’s bullsh*t and not throwing at a guy 

I have no problem with it either.

The way guys are hanging out over the plate, diving into pitches and taking hacks without any fear, pitchers have to pitch inside. And, sometimes, batters get hit.

It was not a head hunting thing, it was at his torso. 

The sensitivity of batters these days, even on tight pitches, is way overdone. Bob Gibson would scoff.

17 hours ago, NJ said:

Having now been on both sides of the Daniel Murphy in Wrigley Field saga - there is no question what uniform I'd prefer he be wearing.

At the time, not bringing him back was the logical move to make on paper; but in hindsight that was the beginning of the end. All things held constant, it's really sad to think where this franchise might have been for the 2 years after their pennant run had they just kept him. Walker was fine and you certainly can't put the downturn on him, but I don't think there is any question that letting Murphy walk handed the Nats the division in 2016, and probably cost us another solid playoff run that year. At the very least, it cost us a Cubs/Mets rematch in October, and that would have been fun to see because the Mets were really clicking heading into that postseason before hitting a buzzsaw in Bumgarner.

All that said, I also think that if the Mets had paid him, he wouldn't have had the success that he did. Because Mets.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

At the time, not bringing him back was the logical move to make on paper; but in hindsight that was the beginning of the end. All things held constant, it's really sad to think where this franchise might have been for the 2 years after their pennant run had they just kept him. Walker was fine and you certainly can't put the downturn on him, but I don't think there is any question that letting Murphy walk handed the Nats the division in 2016, and probably cost us another solid playoff run that year. At the very least, it cost us a Cubs/Mets rematch in October, and that would have been fun to see because the Mets were really clicking heading into that postseason before hitting a buzzsaw in Bumgarner.

All that said, I also think that if the Mets had paid him, he wouldn't have had the success that he did. Because Mets.

I can't recall many that thought allowing Murphy to go out the time was a bad move. Me among those.

As a matter of fact, all teams passed on Murphy, and the Nats signed him to a discounted deal. 

Not dissimilar from the Justin Turner situation. Who saw that coming?

Either the Mets are very unfortunate, or they have problems recognizing and developing talent. I fear the latter.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

What’s crazy about that, is typical Mets move would be to resign Murphy, the home grown player and cheaper option, only to see him revert back to his old self, while letting Cespedes walk, saying that the production was an outlier and the co tract didn’t warrant what his future was gonna bring, and him going into being the perennial all star.  The Mets go opposite of what there history says there gonna do and still get burnt... can’t make this sh*t up. 

On 8/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Scott Dierking said:

I can't recall many that thought allowing Murphy to go out the time was a bad move. Me among those.

As a matter of fact, all teams passed on Murphy, and the Nats signed him to a discounted deal. 

Not dissimilar from the Justin Turner situation. Who saw that coming?

Either the Mets are very unfortunate, or they have problems recognizing and developing talent. I fear the latter.

Agreed, and seeing what Justin turner became sucked, but we also have the best pitcher in the game we drafted in the 9th round as a converted SS, that’s the way it goes sometimes 

16 hours ago, Lith said:

Always a class act.  Hanging em up after playing one last homestand with the Mets.

I had honestly grown very tired of the rehab and comeback narrative, but you have to admit he is one class act. No doubt, the greatest positional player that the Mets have had for a career duration.

Now, let's get the GM in named in place. There were some nice revelations in the 2nd half in terms of talent and ability, and the Mets need to go aggressively into the offseason. Having Wright's money should help.