adb280z

2018 Mets thread

Are there any worse owners in sports than the Wilpons?

Its really insane how little anyone cares about the Mets right now this close to spring training.

Its hard to believe a few years ago we were in the WS and how far we have sunken since then. Probably back to another 10-15 years of sucking before a 2-3 year mini run.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Oh yes, they actually get much slimier. Every NFL owner to start...sh*t, the Wilpons aren't even the most disgusting owners in the NL East, which says more about sports teams owners than it does for the Wilpons.

The Mets aren't beating the Nats without luck but if Syndergaard is healthy and the lineup realizes getting on base is a good thing this year, they might sneak into WC contention. I think the Dodgers are overrated this year and the NL West might beat up on each other enough...

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Its really insane how little anyone cares about the Mets right now this close to spring training.

Its hard to believe a few years ago we were in the WS and how far we have sunken since then. Probably back to another 10-15 years of sucking before a 2-3 year mini run.

Say what you want about the Wilpons, but they did spend the 9th most money this offseason in re-signs, free agents and arbitration. 

I am quietly optimistic about this team, of course with a given of health. If Matz can give them just what a number 4 can normally give, the rotation should be one of the deepest. And that is with assuming Harvey as a 5.

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Say what you want about the Wilpons, but they did spend the 9th most money this offseason in re-signs, free agents and arbitration. 

I am quietly optimistic about this team, of course with a given of health. If Matz can give them just what a number 4 can normally give, the rotation should be one of the deepest. And that is with assuming Harvey as a 5.

I’m optimistic about the division being easier too. Miami gave the Mets fits last year and they dumped everyone. Murphy is banged up which is incredible for the Mets given they play 2 early series against the Nats. Philly and Atlanta still seem like they’re a year or two away. 

If the Mets are healthy they’ve got just as good a shot at making the playoffs as anyone not named the Cubs or the Nats. But who knows. Hopefully Mickey brought a culture change regarding strength and conditioning but the guys on this roster were plagued for so long I am not sure there’s a way back from that in under a year. 

For me it’s all eyes on Rosario and the pitching the first few weeks. Going to be very telling to watch how Mickey manages the rotation, innings, and whether or not the offense can commit to something other than ******* home runs for a change. 

Always cautiously optimistic every year- can we stay relatively healthy can the starters bounce back like Harvey and Matz to be positive. Does Gonzales have anything left? We are still built on the long ball as we do not have real contact hitters live and die by that

2 hours ago, faba said:

Always cautiously optimistic every year- can we stay relatively healthy can the starters bounce back like Harvey and Matz to be positive. Does Gonzales have anything left? We are still built on the long ball as we do not have real contact hitters live and die by that

I've always kind of disagreed with this. Sandy didn't just build the team on the long ball. The offense was designed to draw walks and hit home runs. That's not a horrible way of going about things, but when your manager and hitting coaches completely abandon even bothering to try and work counts for the former it defeats the purpose of how the team is designed. In 2016 when they made the WC they were 5th in home runs and like 22nd in RBIs. I mean come on. That's on managing right there, and Terry thinking they could just rely on pitching to always bail them out made it even worse. The Cubs are built on the long ball and are a bottom half team when it comes to hits too, but they draw a ****ton of walks. It's not that complicated.

The good news for us is this exact thing has been one of Cleveland's biggest strengths on offense the past 2 years.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Remember Dilson Herrera? Yes, that Dilson Herrera that was traded for Jay Bruce? In order for the Reds to send him back down to the minors, they had to have him clear waivers. Not one club claimed him.

It's a shame

I'm glad we're getting good mileage out of these prospect trades.  Cespedes and Bruce still being on the roster make me feel very good about the Fulmer and Herrera deals in hindsight, even with Fulmer winning a ROY.  

Not trading Nimmo, of course, was huge too.  

John Sickels is all about Guillorme.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/3/26/17160060/prospects-luis-guillorme-tucker-davidson-daniel-johnson-brian-miller-arquimedes-gamboa

Phillip Evans better do well because it he doesn't I don't see how they can keep him down. With how thin the Mets are at second, his usefulness as a utility infielder, and what looks like a new emphasis on IF defense under Mickey, bringing Guillorme up sooner than later makes a lot of sense.

I remember when I started hitting puberty and my dad passed 40, we'd still race from time to time. I distinctly remember a period where he went from running like a younger guy to doing the old man run, where you kind of trudge your arms along like a choo choo train and your legs start moving a lot slower. That's what Adrian Gonzalez looks like running the bases.

Just watching a talking head arguing that Max Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL (over Kershaw).  Now I'll admit I'm a homer and of course I think Syndergaard is the best pitcher but I did look up a stat that blew my mind.

Here are the top 10 career leaders for K/BB

Rank Player (yrs, age) Strikeouts / Base On Balls Throws
1. Chris Sale (9, 29) 5.1013 L
2. Tommy Bond (10) 5.0363 R
3. Corey Kluber (8, 32) 4.9549 R
4. Stephen Strasburg (8, 29) 4.5512 R
5. Curt Schilling (20) 4.3826 R
6. Madison Bumgarner (9, 28) 4.3333 L
7. Clayton Kershaw (11, 30) 4.1788 L
8. Pedro Martinez+ (18) 4.1500 R
9. Mariano Rivera (19) 4.1014 R
10. Dan Haren (13) 4.0260 R

Now since Thor only has 370 IP he doesn't qualify for the list, but his number?  5.56.  Let that sink in.  There are only 3 guys who ever finished above 4.55.  Noah is a full point higher than the 4th best all time, and a half point higher than the best of all time.  The guys metrics are insane.   He got a little bit of a late start in the majors (Kershaw was only 20 for example) but he is going to be a joy to watch if he stays healthy.  Pretty much a no-contest for best trade ever by the Mets.

Even when DeGrom does not have his best stuff he still is so much better than practically all others.

Hoping Matz can show he can get his act back together starting today

On 4/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, faba said:

Even when DeGrom does not have his best stuff he still is so much better than practically all others.

Hoping Matz can show he can get his act back together starting today

Matz starts off poorly again

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Early trouble is still his kryptonite. I am starting to wonder if he might be the odd man out when Vargas comes back in a few weeks.

I really have no confidence in him right now to throw a good game to give us a chance to win I think you are right on Vargas

22 hours ago, faba said:

I really have no confidence in him right now to throw a good game to give us a chance to win I think you are right on Vargas

I dont think he has any confidence right now...

So for me tonight is the most intriguing game of the month. The thing that piqued my curiosity most with respect to the Callaway hire was the impact that he would have on Harvey. Supposedly Callaway and Dave Eiland spent a LOT of time with Harvey this Spring, more than any of the other pitchers, with the goal of rebuilding him psychologically and everyone in the org is very pleased with the results.

I'm excited and nervous for those first few innings. With all the ups and downs that Harvey has had with the team and even the fans over the past 4-5 years, it really would be one of the coolest comeback stories ever. Baseball is all about the narratives and I have to think that the rest of the team would feed off Harvey if he can get some of his magic back.

That said it's going to be ******* cold out there today, so I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable, but man...