2018 Mets thread

adb280z

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

As long as Nido has a good arm and can call a decent game, I will live with whatever he gives us offensively. I think we have given up most SBs in MLB this season - some of that is on the pitchers, but we need a guy who can throw a bit back there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Defensively he's already better than Plawecki and Travis. My understanding with his hitting is that they've made a lot of progress in getting him to be more patient at the plate.

Either way, it's a win IMO. The Mets need to figure out between now through May if they should make a move for a catcher at the deadline and this allows them to do that.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Defensively he's already better than Plawecki and Travis. My understanding with his hitting is that they've made a lot of progress in getting him to be more patient at the plate.

Either way, it's a win IMO. The Mets need to figure out between now through May if they should make a move for a catcher at the deadline and this allows them to do that.

Agree completely. Doubt he’d be available, but Molina makes this team a serious WS contender IMO, assuming pitchers stay healthy.

Don Mattingly always comes through with those pitching changes. Never fails.

Mickey playing a little war of attrition out there tonight. I am digging his style. He really likes to play the grind it out game, waiting for his opponent to make a mistake.

The Big 5 has officially, finally pitched together. I think that's pretty cool.

This article cracked me up.  Especially considering it looked like a Mets home game the past few nights and the Jumbo Shrimp games are a lot of fun here in Jax:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23134000/miami-marlins-outdrawn-double-affiliate-jacksonville-jumbo-shrimp-wednesday-games

Empty Jeet seats: Marlins outdrawn by Double-A affiliate

12:36 PM ET
  • rovell_darren.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Darren RovellESPN Senior Writer

The Miami Marlins, who lost 4-1 to the New York Mets on Wednesday night, were outdrawn that day by their Double-A affiliate, the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.

The Marlins drew 6,150 fans. The Jacksonville team brought in 6,960 for its home opener Wednesday night.

For the three-game series against New York, the Marlins -- who lost Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Dee Gordon and Marcell Ozuna as part of a rebuilding plan by the team's new ownership -- drew a total of 19,669 fans.

Plenty of open seats could be found at Wednesday's Mets-Marlins game. Eric Espada/Getty Images

Through nine home games, the Marlins are averaging 12,641 fans per game, which includes an Opening Day crowd of 34,000. That's compared to a reported average attendance of 24,996 for their first nine games last season.

But it might not be apples to apples.

Before the season, the new Marlins management said it would announce only sold tickets for a particular game, which is one reason this season's attendance seems even more paltry. Last season, the Marlins reported a home attendance of 1.65 million fans. However, the Miami Herald later reported that the number of fans who actually paid for tickets was about 820,000. That would put last year's paid average at 10,123 fans per game.

A troubling sign this season is that the Marlins' home games have been against some of baseball's most marketable teams: the Chicago Cubs, the Boston Red Sox and the Mets, who at 10-1 have the best record in the majors.

The ownership of Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter has been under heavy scrutiny since they agreed to buy the team for $1.2 billion last year. A version of a once-confidential report showed to potential investors how the team would achieve profitability, something that rubbed fans the wrong way, as the Marlins' highest-priced but best talent was sent elsewhere.

More recently, Miami was unable to come to terms with its most famous fan, "Marlins Man" Laurence Leavy, who had Marlins tickets since the team's debut in the league in 1993.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

This article cracked me up.  Especially considering it looked like a Mets home game the past few nights and the Jumbo Shrimp games are a lot of fun here in Jax:

It is even worse here in Chicago -- at least on the South Side.  The Sox hosted the Rays for a day game on Monday.  Attendance was announced at 10,000; but less than 1,000 showed up:

Image result for white sox rays crowd

6 hours ago, Lith said:

It is even worse here in Chicago -- at least on the South Side.  The Sox hosted the Rays for a day game on Monday.  Attendance was announced at 10,000; but less than 1,000 showed up:

Image result for white sox rays crowd

It was like 30 degrees, windy as hell, and it snowed that AM. I wouldn't have gone to that sh*t either.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It was like 30 degrees, windy as hell, and it snowed that AM. I wouldn't have gone to that sh*t either.

Yeah, but what would the crowd have looked like in Wrigley in similar conditions.  Or Citi Field.  Or Yankee Stadium.  Would have been a lot better than 970 people.

48 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yup, time to seek trade from the outside. I know that Miguel Montero was designated for assignment by the Nats this week, would they consider trading him to the Mets?

Not a bad band-aid option at all. 

My # 1 choice for the long run is J.T. Realmuto, but he'll be quite expensive in a trade.  Especially since he won't hit free agency until 2021. 

57 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yup, time to seek trade from the outside. I know that Miguel Montero was designated for assignment by the Nats this week, would they consider trading him to the Mets?

Montero would be a nice addition -- I have also seen Realmuto's name floated around a bit, but I would imagine the Marlins would try to hold us up for a lot, given our need and as a Divisional rival.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Realmuto would be nuts. That guy would be a ******* perfect fit for this team. Wonder what Miami is asking. They practically gave away Stanton for free so Sandy better work some magic here.

Turns out the Yankees might have overpaid for Stanton LOL.

Talk about a strange outing for Lugo last night.

2 innings, 10 batters faced, 6 hits (3 never left the infield), a HR, 4 batters retired, but thanks to a double play an Yo throwing out a runner, he only allowed the 1 run.

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Got to find a way to get Nimmo in the line-up regularly. 

Seriously.  Besides the fact he's producing, he just a lightening bolt of energy too.  He's having so much fun out there that it has to be contagious.   I think he was happier for Wilmer than Wilmer was for his walk off.

Archived