2018 Mets thread

adb280z

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Hopefully Conforto's HR will get him and the offense going. Rough watching that lineup suck for 8 innings, but good to see them win it at the end.

Especially after he just missed one pulling it foul earlier in the at bat.  Was so typical of our luck over the last couple of weeks -- then he nailed another one, but kept it fair a couple of pitches later.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2018 at 4:05 PM, NoBowles said:

They need to go into Marlins mode. Trade anything with any value whatsoever, and rebuild. Suck for a few years, which they will do regardless, get some scouts who know what the fk they are doing, rebuild the development system, and hope to stacked again in 5 years. Nice job Sandy and the Wilpons.

I'm here.  I wasnt and I didnt think I'd get here so quickly but this team how it's currently set up, has no future.  Not a single player with a bat to build around, not a single player in the field to build around and while deGrom and Thor on paper should be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league, they're just not.

I'm damn near to a fire sale.  Get everyone out you can get something for, get some future studs for them and embrace 4 more years of absolutely mind numbing boring baseball and hope for the best because why the **** not?  With the way the Braves and now Phillies look with the Nats as loaded as they are...are the Mets really that much better than the Marlins right now?

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm here.  I wasnt and I didnt think I'd get here so quickly but this team how it's currently set up, has no future.  Not a single player with a bat to build around, not a single player in the field to build around and while deGrom and Thor on paper should be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league, they're just not.

I'm damn near to a fire sale.  Get everyone out you can get something for, get some future studs for them and embrace 4 more years of absolutely mind numbing boring baseball and hope for the best because why the **** not?  With the way the Braves and now Phillies look with the Nats as loaded as they are...are the Mets really that much better than the Marlins right now?

The Mets farm system is currently rated in the bottom half of the teams. Its pretty pathetic that we have pulled so little hitting talent from the farm, and it still sucks. I agree its hard to imagine any future with this team at all. Its really hard to win in todays MLB without young offensive talent and a strong bullpen, we don't have either. Its hard to be a fan of this team with these owners, they are just awful.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:05 PM, JiF said:

Good accurate IMO read on Thor:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23516648/real-not-why-expect-more-noah-syndergaard

In one of the stranger comments of the season, Mets pitching coach Dave Eiland decided it was a good time to publicly criticize Noah Syndergaard. "I just don't know where the expectations came from," Eiland told the New York Post. "He's spent -- what? -- two-and-a-half years in the big leagues? So I don't know where all the expectations came from. I wasn't here for all that, but he has yet to do a whole lot at the major league level."

That must have been a fun day on New York sports radio. To be fair, Eiland wasn't really ripping into Syndergaard, but it came across as "this guy isn't all that," which is weird to say about a guy who helped pitch the Mets into the World Series in 2015 and had a 2.60 ERA in 2016 before missing most of 2017 because of an injury. Eiland later backtracked on his comments before Syndergaard's start Tuesday, saying, "I don't say anything publicly before I say it to them first. ... I didn't say he hasn't done anything. I said he hasn't done a whole lot."

OK, he's right about that. And he might be right about something else: the expectations -- and the hype -- exceeding the actual level of performance. Syndergaard is very good, but he's not quite at that level of Max Scherzer or Corey Kluber or Chris Sale, and he certainly hasn't been as good this season as Luis Severino, who is the best pitcher in the Big Apple right now.

Noah Syndergaard beat the Blue Jays on Tuesday but left after just five innings pitched. Brad Penner/USA Today Sports

Syndergaard wasn't anything special in the Mets' win over the Blue Jays, giving up only two runs but throwing 103 pitches in five innings. His ERA is a solid 3.14, but he's averaging less than six innings per start. He has given up 51 hits in 51⅔ innings for a .254 batting average, which is higher than the overall MLB average.

Maybe that's at what Eiland is hinting: Why is a guy with Syndergaard's stuff hittable at times? Mets broadcaster Ron Darling addressed this at one point in the game. "We're talking about a pitcher with a simple, rhythmic motion that you can see where the ball is coming out from, and he doesn't walk anybody," Darling said. "So when you're at bat, you're never afraid of that ball being off the plate or a random ball not hitting a spot."

Gary Cohen, Darling's broadcast partner, then pointed out that Syndergaard is at least pitching inside more often this year. Indeed, among qualified starters, Syndergaard ranks fourth in percentage of fastballs on the inside part of the plate, at 44.1 percent, up from 36.8 percent in 2017 and 30.2 in 2016. Syndergaard also ranks just 52nd in percentage of fastballs in the zone.

I think the primary issue is what Darling suggested: Even though Syndergaard is throwing in the upper 90s, hitters see his fastball, and it doesn't move a lot. He ranks 56th in swing-and-miss rate on his fastball, at 17.7 percent -- that's lower than Bartolo Colon's 17.9 percent miss rate. Jacob deGrom, by comparison, is sixth among starters, with a 33.5 percent miss rate on his fastball. Syndergaard is still good because he throws hard, and his breaking stuff is lethal, but for him to become a top-five starter, he has to figure out how to get more swing-and-misses with the fastball and start pitching deeper into games.

On the one hand, the Mets are above .500 at about 1/4 through the season and 3 games back in the loss column. Objectively speaking, that's a perfectly fine place to be in the standings in mid-May.

On the other, it's hard to accept just how bad the trajectory of the team is as they approach June. The injury plague has hit yet again and the NLE is looking tough as ******* nails. The Yankees looking like they stacked their franchise the right way certainly doesn't help things either.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:28 AM, JiF said:

I really hope last night woke the bats up.  The schedule is juicy for the next few weeks.  As bad as they've been, great chance to make a run here.  

Followed up by a single run! 

Mets say Juan Lagares is likely done for the year:

“On Wednesday, outfielder Juan Lagares hyperextended the big toe on his left foot making a catch in the game against the Toronto Blue Jays. A subsequent MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York revealed a complete tear of the big toe plantar plate, which is a thick supporting ligament of the toe. Surgery to repair this tear is tentatively scheduled for next week. Juan has been placed on the 10-Day Disabled List retroactive to yesterday, but will likely miss the remainder of the 2018 season.”

We have some guys with serious value right now. The Mets need to do what the Cubs and Yankees did and face reality, moving them for young prospect hauls. Sell high on Jake and a few of the other guys. Teams like Toronto and the Yankees have a ton of chips to give up.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

2 in a row.  First two game winning streak since the end of the 9 game streak in April. 

Thor on the hill today -- hopefully they can finish off the sweep this afternoon.

They really need Conforto to get back to what he was pre injury last year. If they can do that, and Matz or wheeler can give them some type of stability, get Ces back, maybe get Bruce to hit to his potential, they can be decent. As much as I think they need to tear it down, they have some time to see if they can right the ship. Baseball is a long season. They arent as good as they looked early, and arent as bad as they looked recently. They are somewhere in-between which is likely a .500 or slightly above team

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

They really need Conforto to get back to what he was pre injury last year. If they can do that, and Matz or wheeler can give them some type of stability, get Ces back, maybe get Bruce to hit to his potential, they can be decent. As much as I think they need to tear it down, they have some time to see if they can right the ship. Baseball is a long season. They arent as good as they looked early, and arent as bad as they looked recently. They are somewhere in-between which is likely a .500 or slightly above team

That is an awful lot of ifs just to be decent.  But it does show how slim the margin for error is with this team.  Friday nights and this afternoon's games are the recipe for this team to win.  Strong starting pitching, couple of long balls and a 3-1 or 4-1 victory.

I am heading up to Milwaukee for the Friday night and Sat afternoon games next weekend, so I am glad to see they have strung together a couple of good games.  Gives me a reason to look forward to this weekend.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

That is an awful lot of ifs just to be decent.  But it does show how slim the margin for error is with this team.  Friday nights and this afternoon's games are the recipe for this team to win.  Strong starting pitching, couple of long balls and a 3-1 or 4-1 victory.

I am heading up to Milwaukee for the Friday night and Sat afternoon games next weekend, so I am glad to see they have strung together a couple of good games.  Gives me a reason to look forward to this weekend.

For sure, but this is the way the Wilpons play it. If everything breaks right, they will be in a wild card game. 

20 hours ago, Lith said:

We only need to stay around .500 until Tebow is ready to be called up. #savior

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I will not get squirmy in my pants over this winning streak.  Nope.  Wont do it. 

I won't let them get my hopes up. Its nice to see them playing better, and I hope it continues, but thats it for me.

10 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Familia is such f’ing garbage. So is the lineup. How the hell does DeGrom not get the win. Sickening. I hate this team

Dude, I turned it off before the 9th.  I could feel it coming...

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, I turned it off before the 9th.  I could feel it coming...

Smart man! I should have done the same. Familia has just no balls. His stuff is good enough to get the job done, he just hasn't had the makeup to be closer since Gordon took him deep on that stupid ******* quick pitch. Its time to move on from Familia and see if anyone else has the balls to do the job.

Archived