2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2018 at 5:25 PM, Lith said:

And another fun fact.  Corey Oswalt got his first major league W today, but had to be pulled from the game after injuring his hand swinging the bat. 

I thought this was a joke at first.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I thought this was a joke at first.

Nope.  No joke,  Although the franchise is a joke.

I saw a report yesterday that the Wilpons refused to invest any David Wright insurance recoveries in the team and are likely to do the same should they be eligible for recoveries related to Cespedes.   They consider the entirety of the contract to be part of the baseball payroll regardless of any recoveries and will not change the payroll budget..

I hate this ownership.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:52 PM, Lith said:

Anyone know anything about this kid, Kilome?

I did some reading on him.  Sounds like a raw tall lanky fastball pitcher.  Should be someone out of the bull pen for now.  Sounds like he has some upside to him.  Overall, sounds like a pretty good deal for a guy who more than likely walks for nothing in the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How?  What money is Wilpon spending at 1B, 2B, 3B, OF, and bullpen?

My guess is they're hanging their hats on Alonso for first next year. He has been raking. So far as OF who knows, Nimmo and Bruce will be penciled in for sure and Conforto looks like he might have righted the ship finally. Between all that in the OF, plus the money they owe Ces and Bruce, plus how in love they seem to be with this kid Kellenic, I'm not optimistic about them investing much in OF this year. If they prioritize anything I would hope that the Mets invest in a catcher and legit second baseman this offseason.

I can't fathom why the Mets held on to deGrom. They couldve gotten a treasure trove of prospects for him.

The Orioles traded players and got 15 prospects back and $2.75 million in international pool money.

3 hours ago, SMC said:

I can't fathom why the Mets held on to deGrom. They couldve gotten a treasure trove of prospects for him.

The Orioles traded players and got 15 prospects back and $2.75 million in international pool money.

I felt the same way a few months ago, but I look at the moves this current substitute brain trust has made and I'm ecstatic they didn't. I don't trust the guys at the helm right now for sh*t. Better to leave it to the next GM. Moving Jake or Noah is too big a move to cock up. If they don't get it right it could be a wrecking ball for the franchise.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I felt the same way a few months ago, but I look at the moves this current substitute brain trust has made and I'm ecstatic they didn't. I don't trust the guys at the helm right now for sh*t. Better to leave it to the next GM. Moving Jake or Noah is too big a move to cock up. If they don't get it right it could be a wrecking ball for the franchise.

In context, your take does make sense. I hope when they do make the big trade it's for stud prospects rather than salary relief. The deals the Mets made this year all had a salary dump component. Mets need talent to boost their farm system, not financial relief for the Coupons.

8 hours ago, SMC said:

It's an interesting to compare the 2 teams.  Both seemed destined for a solid run just 2 years ago both the worst teams in baseball this year and one completely sold and got a ton in return and the other, did nothing.

That said, I dont trust the 3 Stooges to do anything right so the thought of them trying to trade DeGrom or Syndergaurd or Wheeler for the matter is frightening. They would have been fleeced. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

25-4 loss to the Nats.  What in the actual f*ck.  Good thing I have Daniel Murphy on my fantasy team. 

Sure this team is gonna compete in 2019.  Sure it is. 

Jose Reyes pitched last night.  

GO METS!!!

Just when you thought you have reached the bottom the Mets find a way to beat it. I do agree with decision not to trade Degrom or Noah though. Wheeler value never will be higher should have pulled a trigger on him get the best you can

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am with you on this.  We will have a new GM in the offseason -- let the new guy come in and rebuild the team.  I did not want to see this triumvirate / office of the GM making major moves right now that will have a long term impact on the future of the organization.

6 hours ago, SMC said:

In context, your take does make sense. I hope when they do make the big trade it's for stud prospects rather than salary relief. The deals the Mets made this year all had a salary dump component. Mets need talent to boost their farm system, not financial relief for the Coupons.

I would like to think that even the Mets wouldn't stoop that low. I hope they wouldn't. ****. I really hope they wouldn't.

They definitely would. God dammit.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I am with you on this.  We will have a new GM in the offseason -- let the new guy come in and rebuild the team.  I did not want to see this triumvirate / office of the GM making major moves right now that will have a long term impact on the future of the organization.

I'm cool with staying put with the exception of Wheeler. Not selling high on him could wind up being a big mistake and while I would love to be optimistic about his future, the Mets have such a bad history when it comes to not selling the right guys at the right time. Lastings Milledge anyone?

The problem is seeing what Archer garnered, it's hard to believe someone wouldn't have given up at least a high end IF or C prospect for Wheeler, which the Mets are desperately in need of. Way more so than a solid #3 pitcher.

1 hour ago, faba said:

DeGrom continues to get  no support pathetic-  drives in the only Mets run to further his case

1.85 ERA, half a run ahead of the rest of the NL, 2nd most K's in the league, and 5 wins on the season.

5-7 record. Averaging 1.25 wins per month with by far the best ERA in the league.

How is that even possible.

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

1.85 ERA, half a run ahead of the rest of the NL, 2nd most K's in the league, and 5 wins on the season.

5-7 record. Averaging 1.25 wins per month with by far the best ERA in the league.

How is that even possible.

I am ashamed to call this my lifelong  team  hate the Wilpons

Man, I completely forgot about this board, I’ve been wallowing in misery, and my only out was a Mets board were the posters are unbearable...anyway

DeGrom.... gonna be a shame when he doesn’t win the cy young 

Matz, guy makes Pennington look like cal Ripken 

whats it gonna take to get Vargas out of the rotation 

if able to do you bring back Mesoraco? ( TDA makes Matz look like cal Ripken )

The Mets showed a highlight/appreciation video for Matt Harvey last night as he the Reds visited Citi Field.

Harvey was a dick bag me first player who refused to do anything the franchise asked him to do and was 34-37 in his career with the Mets. 

Lets go Mets!!!

5 hours ago, JiF said:

The Mets showed a highlight/appreciation video for Matt Harvey last night as he the Reds visited Citi Field.

Harvey was a dick bag me first player who refused to do anything the franchise asked him to do and was 34-37 in his career with the Mets. 

Lets go Mets!!!

He wasn't a me first player when he said "f the innings limit", and it possibly cost him.

He did not go about things the right way off the field, but on the field, he competed and was a must watch on every turn in the rotation for a number of years. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He wasn't a me first player when he said "f the innings limit", and it possibly cost him.

He did not go about things the right way off the field, but on the field, he competed and was a must watch on every turn in the rotation for a number of years. 

I watched an espn special on him early in his career, I believe it was called the dark knight rises or something anyway, when I was done watching it I wasn’t sure if I loved his confidence, or hated his arrogance, As his career played out I realize it was the latter

guy was great for a short period of time, but even during that time there was questionable actions

16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would argue, he in fact was, being me first in that situation but whatever.  Point being, the Mets gave a career loser who forced his way out of town an appreciation video. 

7 hours ago, Grandy said:

Who do y'all want to take over at GM in the offseason? 

Who do you expect to take over at GM?

It’s gonna be Ricco, but let’s face it. It’s always been Jeff Wilpon. I’d like to see someone outside the organization that don’t take no sh*t from entitled owners kids, but then again we see how that worked with Donnie Walsh and the knicks 

10 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

It’s gonna be Ricco, but let’s face it. It’s always been Jeff Wilpon. I’d like to see someone outside the organization that don’t take no sh*t from entitled owners kids, but then again we see how that worked with Donnie Walsh and the knicks 

First word is that it will NOT be Ricco. Supposedly they are looking outside.

We will see

I don't usually post here because I am fed up with ownership. I do hope they go outside the club for the next GM. I do think they can still get some decent prospects for Wheeler in the off-season if he keeps up his current run until the end of the season. We will see.

David Wright is starting a rehab assignment. Think anything will come of that? I don't expect much but would like to see him play for old time sake. It would be nice to see him play a little in September. Knowing these guys they will pencil him in for a starting job next year if he shows anything. That would be typical Mets thinking IMO.

Archived