2018 Mets thread

adb280z

Very low risk, high reward move. Interesting about Dom Smith, the book on him was that he will hit for average, a shoot the gap hitter, and the power will come. Instead, hits .198, but hits 9 homers and drives in 26 in 169 AB's.  I think Smith will be fine, but needs more seasoning. Gonzalez has been a "pro's pro" for many years, and I think will be a good mentor for Dom going forward. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/10/2018 at 8:57 AM, faba said:

January 10 and still no movement on top free agents really- you can not tell me that teams are not working together to try to limit salary

Cheap baztards. If they not going to pay these guys, which is crazy money anyways, then lower the damn ticket prices. Greed is ruining this world ?. Even baseball is suffering from it. It’s just sacrilegious. 

Had to had to do it. That fat slob rookie they brought up looked terrible. Overmatched, lousy glove, clueless against lefties.  He doesn’t even have the look of a 1st baseman, short, fat no range and moves around like he’s pushing an ox cart. And he was a 1st round pick. Unreal. 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, faba said:

The deadline for MLB teams and their arbitration-eligible players to submit salary figures for 2018 is tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 18. In the the event player and team can not reach agreement before Saturday, an arbitration hearing will be scheduled for February. However the two sides can still negotiate before going to court...

12:43 am: Matt Harvey, who will be a free agent after next season, will get a $500,000 raise and earn $5.6 million next season, according to USA Today's Bob Nightingale.

Matt Harvey will  be waving goodbye to the Mets next year with his middle finger. He will bounce back and sign with the evil empire which is what he’s wanted to do for several years. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Cheap baztards. If they not going to pay these guys, which is crazy money anyways, then lower the damn ticket prices. Greed is ruining this world ?. Even baseball is suffering from it. It’s just sacrilegious. 

The odd thing is that every major league team has received a $50m bump from selling the BAMTech technology to Disney.

The Mets believe they can use Brandon Nimmo as a centerpiece of a deal for Pirates INF/OF Josh Harrison, who suggested on Tuesday that he wants to be traded, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The Mets rebuffed the Pirates' request of Nimmo in a potential deal for Andrew McCutchen, according to Rosenthal, who did not specify who else the potential deal included or if the Pirates were willing to eat part of the money owed to McCutchen.

Even after signing Jay Bruce, the Mets were still interested in acquiring McCutchen, who the Pirates traded to the Giants on Monday along with $2.5 million for RHP Kyle Crick, minor league outfielder Bryan Reynolds, and $500,000 in international signing bonus pool money.

Nimmo, 24, hit .260/.379/.418 with five HR in 69 games for the Mets in 2017. With Michael Conforto not expected to be ready in time for Opening Day, the expectation as of now is that Nimmo will be on the 25-man roster along with Yoenis Cespedes, Juan Lagares, and Bruce.

While acquiring McCutchen would've been a splashier move, Harrison is a better fit for the Mets -- and is under team control for three more seasons (with McCutchen set to be a free agent after this season). So, if the Mets truly think they can build a deal for Harrison around Nimmo, it will be hard to not pull the trigger.

Yes, there are other infield options on the free agent market. But there are issues that come with signing each of them. Todd Frazier would necessitate moving Asdrubal Cabrera to second base, where he's a poor defender. Eduardo Nunez is a poor defender himself. Neil Walker has dealt with back issues. And Jose Reyes is a bench piece at this point in his career.

Dealing Nimmo for Harrison would also allow the Mets to keep Juan Lagares, who would likely be the center fielder on Opening Day, and can serve as a valuable fourth outfielder who gets plenty of playing time once Michael Conforto returns -- helping to keep Conforto, Yoenis Cespedes, and Jay Bruce fresh.

With Harrison, the Mets would be getting a solid offensive player who gives them speed and an above-average glove at second base (and third base if they choose to ever use him there). Harrison can also play both corner outfield positions. Depending on what else the Pirates are asking for in a deal, it may be time for the Mets to finally add the second baseman they've been looking for all offseason.

On 1/16/2018 at 5:39 AM, BigO said:

Had to had to do it. That fat slob rookie they brought up looked terrible. Overmatched, lousy glove, clueless against lefties.  He doesn’t even have the look of a 1st baseman, short, fat no range and moves around like he’s pushing an ox cart. And he was a 1st round pick. Unreal. 

Dom Smith looked like a player who felt that he was on the doorstep of mlb and took it easy. Not a great sign. I believe that the Mets are doing everything to push him this off-season, and are just not going to grant him first base.

Will he accept the challenge? The talent is certainly there. he is projected as a far greater than average first baseman with expectations of a high batting average. The question was whether he would generate enough power for a corner position.

Oddly, it was his power that surprised in the short stint, but his average suffered.

It will be interesting to see how he comes into Spring Training

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-could-brandon-nimmo-become/

In Brandon Nimmo, the Mets basically have a young, pre-injury Michael Brantley on their hands, a player with great plate discipline and good corner-outfield defense with a chance at more. That’s worth holding on to if free agency can get them a useful infielder for the 2018 season.

I like Nimmo too. Mets should keep Metsing and trade him. 

February and so many guys have not signed yet unheard of - you can not tell me all teams suddenly have gotten revelation of not overpaying,

Frazier at third at least gives you som e pop and good defense and is local guy the Mets should do it.

This should boost morale:

Noah Syndergaard’s still expected to pitch like one of the handful best SPs in baseball on a per inning basis by most/all the major projectiom systems I’ve seen. Steamer, w/e the Bill James one is called, and ZiPs are all firmly on the wagon, IP is understandably all over the place 140-180, some lower and honestly forgot the James one altogether. 

ZiPs is also optimistic on the health of both Conforto and Cespedes, though both see a drop in power. Pretty optimistic on Dom Smith too, projecting a league average hitter thanks to his ages and consistent ability to make contact in the minors. The catchers are both expected to hit better than typical catchers. 

Syndergaard’s the biggest deal here, pitchers like that can keep a team relevant enough. Please do 

—————-

Take the pick on DeGrom come FA!

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am guessing that this comes down to Moustakas or Frazier and where can they pinch the most? I would rather see Cabrera at 2nd, rather than 3rd.

What a stagnant market.

A stagnant market would be good for the Mets if the Wilpons would open up the checkbook.  

Yeah, I know I made a funny.

The guy the Mets got for Smoker seems like a decent shuttle arm. Near ML ready LHRP with a track record of getting Ks, keeping the ball in the park and on the ground, and not walking too many in the minors. No arm surgeries yet, maybe the Mets will work their magic.

Line up, when conforto healthy:

Conforto, Cabrera, Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Gonzalez, Rosario, D'Arnaud, Pitcher.

Still a lot of strike outs and no speed.  I would love to see us make a play for lucroy on a "prove it" deal.  All and all line up isn't bad.  Need that pitching to hold up for the first time ever.

43 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Line up, when conforto healthy:

Conforto, Cabrera, Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Gonzalez, Rosario, D'Arnaud, Pitcher.

Still a lot of strike outs and no speed.  I would love to see us make a play for lucroy on a "prove it" deal.  All and all line up isn't bad.  Need that pitching to hold up for the first time ever.

It would be preferred to have Rosario bat lead-off, if he could just learn the strike zone better

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Frazier is a good get, and should be a nice clubhouse addition

Yep.  I wanted him a couple years ago.  He's about to turn 32 but who cares, it's just a 2-year bridge deal until we can find a future third baseman somewhere in the pipeline. 

Archived