2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Frazier is a good get, and should be a nice clubhouse addition

Frazier is the weirdest 220 hitter I have ever seen.   When a guy hits like that, you expect him to feast on bad pitching, and good pitchers get him out.   He is not like that, he gets a lot of clutch hits against good pitchers.   I really liked him on the Yanks, and I think you will like him a lot on your team.  

2 years, 17 is a good deal.   All these players talking collusion is fine, but Boras has them all convinced they are getting massive 7 year deals, and those virtually never work out for the team.

3 hours ago, usanyj said:

Line up, when conforto healthy:

Conforto, Cabrera, Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Gonzalez, Rosario, D'Arnaud, Pitcher.

Still a lot of strike outs and no speed.  I would love to see us make a play for lucroy on a "prove it" deal.  All and all line up isn't bad.  Need that pitching to hold up for the first time ever.

Def all about Lucroy. I have zero faith in D’Arnaud at this point. 

The Mets did start two rookies the latter part of the season last year in Rosario and Smith and Rosario looked like he can play and excel in MLB. Still a question mark with Smith and the team probably will send him to LV to start the year. I like the bargain signings and remember they did spend a lot of money on Cespedes. A lot depends on his health. If he plays you know he is an impact hitter.  Gonzalez is a professional hitter and worth signing and if he rebounds we have a good player who can hit consistently and with power. Frazier is a HR hitter and he decreased Ks even with the .213. You'd think he will hit at least 30 points over that. As for Wright if he is activated then he is a PT player and could be productive. There is no way he could play over 100 games. You pencil him in for 200 ABs. Pinch hitting and spot starting.

The lineup is actually not bad no speed but Alderson wants a lineup that can hit the ball out of the park.

The key can the team stay relatively healthy pitching wise and recapture their abilities and Cespedes has to stay healthy.

Some pitching insurnace depth

The Mets have signed lefty Jason Vargas to a 2 year deal (pending physical) Last year with the Royals Vargas went 18-11 with a 4.16 ERA in 179.2 innings. Vargas returns to the Mets, he appeared in 2 games with the Amazins in 2007.

7 hours ago, faba said:

Some pitching insurnace depth

The Mets have signed lefty Jason Vargas to a 2 year deal (pending physical) Last year with the Royals Vargas went 18-11 with a 4.16 ERA in 179.2 innings. Vargas returns to the Mets, he appeared in 2 games with the Amazins in 2007.

This move virtually guarantees that they have no thoughts of Harvey being back next year

Was at Port St Lucie for about 2 hours with my son to see workouts. I really only watched the batting group of Bruce, Cabrera, Cespedes, Nimmo and a couple others. 

The guy that really stuck out to me was Nimmo. The ball jumped off his bat harder than any other hitter in the group. Impressive when you consider that Bruce and Cespdes were in that grouping. Nimmo was just crushing some balls. 

It may explain why Alderson was so hesitant to trade him, and why other teams were looking for him in packages.

53 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Was at Port St Lucie for about 2 hours with my son to see workouts. I really only watched the batting group of Bruce, Cabrera, Cespedes, Nimmo and a couple others. 

The guy that really stuck out to me was Nimmo. The ball jumped off his bat harder than any other hitter in the group. Impressive when you consider that Bruce and Cespdes were in that grouping. Nimmo was just crushing some balls. 

It may explain why Alderson was so hesitant to trade him, and why other teams were looking for him in packages.

I TOLD YOU BIATCHES

• 2 weeks later...

Luis Guillorme seems like the type of dude that is going to develop into exactly the type of player the Mets desperately need. I'm hoping Sandy has the balls to put him on the Opening Day roster, but with the way he's playing it will only be a matter of time before he gets called up anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any worse owners in sports than the Wilpons?

Its really insane how little anyone cares about the Mets right now this close to spring training.

Its hard to believe a few years ago we were in the WS and how far we have sunken since then. Probably back to another 10-15 years of sucking before a 2-3 year mini run.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Oh yes, they actually get much slimier. Every NFL owner to start...sh*t, the Wilpons aren't even the most disgusting owners in the NL East, which says more about sports teams owners than it does for the Wilpons.

The Mets aren't beating the Nats without luck but if Syndergaard is healthy and the lineup realizes getting on base is a good thing this year, they might sneak into WC contention. I think the Dodgers are overrated this year and the NL West might beat up on each other enough...

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Its really insane how little anyone cares about the Mets right now this close to spring training.

Its hard to believe a few years ago we were in the WS and how far we have sunken since then. Probably back to another 10-15 years of sucking before a 2-3 year mini run.

Say what you want about the Wilpons, but they did spend the 9th most money this offseason in re-signs, free agents and arbitration. 

I am quietly optimistic about this team, of course with a given of health. If Matz can give them just what a number 4 can normally give, the rotation should be one of the deepest. And that is with assuming Harvey as a 5.

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Say what you want about the Wilpons, but they did spend the 9th most money this offseason in re-signs, free agents and arbitration. 

I am quietly optimistic about this team, of course with a given of health. If Matz can give them just what a number 4 can normally give, the rotation should be one of the deepest. And that is with assuming Harvey as a 5.

I’m optimistic about the division being easier too. Miami gave the Mets fits last year and they dumped everyone. Murphy is banged up which is incredible for the Mets given they play 2 early series against the Nats. Philly and Atlanta still seem like they’re a year or two away. 

If the Mets are healthy they’ve got just as good a shot at making the playoffs as anyone not named the Cubs or the Nats. But who knows. Hopefully Mickey brought a culture change regarding strength and conditioning but the guys on this roster were plagued for so long I am not sure there’s a way back from that in under a year. 

For me it’s all eyes on Rosario and the pitching the first few weeks. Going to be very telling to watch how Mickey manages the rotation, innings, and whether or not the offense can commit to something other than ******* home runs for a change. 

Always cautiously optimistic every year- can we stay relatively healthy can the starters bounce back like Harvey and Matz to be positive. Does Gonzales have anything left? We are still built on the long ball as we do not have real contact hitters live and die by that

2 hours ago, faba said:

Always cautiously optimistic every year- can we stay relatively healthy can the starters bounce back like Harvey and Matz to be positive. Does Gonzales have anything left? We are still built on the long ball as we do not have real contact hitters live and die by that

I've always kind of disagreed with this. Sandy didn't just build the team on the long ball. The offense was designed to draw walks and hit home runs. That's not a horrible way of going about things, but when your manager and hitting coaches completely abandon even bothering to try and work counts for the former it defeats the purpose of how the team is designed. In 2016 when they made the WC they were 5th in home runs and like 22nd in RBIs. I mean come on. That's on managing right there, and Terry thinking they could just rely on pitching to always bail them out made it even worse. The Cubs are built on the long ball and are a bottom half team when it comes to hits too, but they draw a ****ton of walks. It's not that complicated.

The good news for us is this exact thing has been one of Cleveland's biggest strengths on offense the past 2 years.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Remember Dilson Herrera? Yes, that Dilson Herrera that was traded for Jay Bruce? In order for the Reds to send him back down to the minors, they had to have him clear waivers. Not one club claimed him.

It's a shame

I'm glad we're getting good mileage out of these prospect trades.  Cespedes and Bruce still being on the roster make me feel very good about the Fulmer and Herrera deals in hindsight, even with Fulmer winning a ROY.  

Not trading Nimmo, of course, was huge too.  

John Sickels is all about Guillorme.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/3/26/17160060/prospects-luis-guillorme-tucker-davidson-daniel-johnson-brian-miller-arquimedes-gamboa

Phillip Evans better do well because it he doesn't I don't see how they can keep him down. With how thin the Mets are at second, his usefulness as a utility infielder, and what looks like a new emphasis on IF defense under Mickey, bringing Guillorme up sooner than later makes a lot of sense.

I remember when I started hitting puberty and my dad passed 40, we'd still race from time to time. I distinctly remember a period where he went from running like a younger guy to doing the old man run, where you kind of trudge your arms along like a choo choo train and your legs start moving a lot slower. That's what Adrian Gonzalez looks like running the bases.

Archived