2018 Mets thread

adb280z

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mickey isn't afraid to give all of his players a chance in important situations especially pitchers. It might work. We'll see but getting every player on the roster involved can add confidence and these guys might like playing for him. Also he knows a lot about pitching rotations and how to use relief pitchers. 

What a start!  Sweeping the Nats was crucial.  Doing it in different ways was even better.

Its a good thing we have Thor ready today...after a late game to turn around, head to Miami and play could be a killer on the line up.  Then Degrom and Wheeler for his first appearance on the year?  This start, should legit get even better.

This start is all part of the plan. We are Jets and Mets fans. The Jets and Mets MO is to get us in, get us excited, and then kick us in the nuts as hard as they can, let us suffer as much as possible, then when the pain from the nut kick starts to fade, and we start to feel better about ourselves, they do it again. 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

This start is all part of the plan. We are Jets and Mets fans. The Jets and Mets MO is to get us in, get us excited, and then kick us in the nuts as hard as they can, let us suffer as much as possible, then when the pain from the nut kick starts to fade, and we start to feel better about ourselves, they do it again. 

Image result for just when i thought i was out gif

In my case you can add the Knicks and the Rangers to that list. :Nuts:

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nimmo sent down? Come on man. Wtf more does the kid have to do at this point.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Lagares and Conforto playing well. Give Nimmo quality at bats until Lagares gets traded.

Then Nimmo comes back up without wasting him

45 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Great start, and a lot of fun, but you must not be a long time Mets fan. Best approach for this team is enjoy it, but don't get overconfident.

I texted my brother when we went up 3-0 and asked him, "is it too soon to have a raging boner about this team?"  Degrom swiftly gave up 4 runs the next inning and the Mets were down a run.  I was fully ready to come in here and take full responsibility of the loss and then this totally weird non-Mets thingy happened where they stuck in there and just kept matching runs.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Interesting thing was Bruce taking some balls at first base yesterday. Maybe the thinking is to get Bruce some starts at first, which would give Nimmo some starts in the OF, and hopefully leadoff. He would change this order, and allow Conforto to be in a position to drive more runs in. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I texted my brother when we went up 3-0 and asked him, "is it too soon to have a raging boner about this team?"  Degrom swiftly gave up 4 runs the next inning and the Mets were down a run.  I was fully ready to come in here and take full responsibility of the loss and then this totally weird non-Mets thingy happened where they stuck in there and just kept matching runs.

I've learned to appreciate any time we get through the end of April without major injuries and the end of June without being eliminated.  Having said that, there is something about this team that reminds me of the mid-80s.  Nothing quantifiable, just a hint of magic.  The riposte quality of scoring 12 our of 23 times immediately following the other team scoring is an example.  Having a bullpen as gritty as one is another.  And I think Callaway appears to be the perfect guy right now.

The thing about the Mets the last 10 years or so that has annoyed the crap out of me is how they keep bringing in players who hit .230 or .240 while letting Daniel Murphy go because he has a hole in his glove.  For the moment, team BA seems to be good and everyone is contributing.  Let's enjoy the ride!

Great start, and a lot of fun, but you must not be a long time Mets fan. Best approach for this team is enjoy it, but don't get overconfident.

Wrong. I have been a fan going back to 1968. Suffered through some tough years too, just like the JETS. lol

But I am going to enjoy this as long as I can.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've learned to appreciate any time we get through the end of April without major injuries and the end of June without being eliminated.  Having said that, there is something about this team that reminds me of the mid-80s.  Nothing quantifiable, just a hint of magic.  The riposte quality of scoring 12 our of 23 times immediately following the other team scoring is an example.  Having a bullpen as gritty as one is another.  And I think Callaway appears to be the perfect guy right now.

The thing about the Mets the last 10 years or so that has annoyed the crap out of me is how they keep bringing in players who hit .230 or .240 while letting Daniel Murphy go because he has a hole in his glove.  For the moment, team BA seems to be good and everyone is contributing.  Let's enjoy the ride!

No doubt.  Love what Mickey is doing.  Last night was the first time I questioned Mickey too.  He left Degrom at the plate with a runner on in the bottom of the 6th after just giving up 4 runs and they just tied up the game.  He basically gave up on the inning and I was like, why?  What could Degrom give you at this point? 

And then Degrom went out and struck out 2 of the next 3 and retired the side in order. 

What I find most encouraging about this start is that we are not being carried by starting pitching.  I came into the season thinking we would go as far as our starters would take us.  They have been okay, but far from dominant during this 9-1 start.  Bullpen has been great, offense has been strong -- guys getting on base, clutch hitting, even more aggressive on the bases.  We can still hit HRs, but we have been able to score without them, which has been an issue last few seasons.  A lot to like about this team right now. 

Still not sure what to expect over the next 152, but it has been a fun start to the season.  And it is always nice to bank some wins early to help get through the rough patches which are bound to come.

To me, the most important stat might be team BA.  The pitching (barring injury) will be good.  This staff is clearly top-5 in the league and should continue to be.  If we go into an extended hitting slump where the middle of our lineup is putting up 1 or 2 hits per game, we are usually going to be in trouble. I expect we'll see little stretches of that but if we're getting production 1-9 like we have been then maybe we can work through those periods without extended losing streaks.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Interesting thing was Bruce taking some balls at first base yesterday. Maybe the thinking is to get Bruce some starts at first, which would give Nimmo some starts in the OF, and hopefully leadoff. He would change this order, and allow Conforto to be in a position to drive more runs in. 

It’s either that or an injury gets him back up. I really feel for him. There’s no room for him right now and I get that, but I’m not sure what else a guy has to do to prove he belongs in the show. 

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have been a Nido fan for a little while now and thought he looked solid on the late callup last year. Killer arm and a great attitude.

So long as the team is hot they should stick with Plawecki as the starter but this could be a huge opportunity for Nido simply because Travis to the 10-day DL could just as likely mean he's out for 3 months. Everything for the past year or so has reported the Mets don't think he's a superstar but they do view him as their catcher for the future and that's just fine with me.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have been a Nido fan for a little while now and thought he looked solid on the late callup last year. Killer arm and a great attitude.

So long as the team is hot they should stick with Plawecki as the starter but this could be a huge opportunity for Nido simply because Travis to the 10-day DL could just as likely mean he's out for 3 months. Everything for the past year or so has reported the Mets don't think he's a superstar but they do view him as their catcher for the future and that's just fine with me.

Quite likely, I would suspect, Darnaud will need the year off. Pretty serious injury

As long as Nido has a good arm and can call a decent game, I will live with whatever he gives us offensively. I think we have given up most SBs in MLB this season - some of that is on the pitchers, but we need a guy who can throw a bit back there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived