Kony Ealy

Lawrence Thomas

Quincy Enunwa

Doug Middleton

Dakota Dozier

David Bass

Julian Stanford

Eric Tomlinson

All those picks should cost us no more than about $25 million, giving us about the $80 million we had started with.

CENTER

Ryan Jensen

Evan Smith

GUARD DEPTH

Lots to choose from, for depth purposes

WIDE RECEIVER

Could make a splash here, but we could possibly bet Enunwa back as long as the injury doesn't scare him into retirement.  We get Charone Peake back, and who knows, maybe Smith comes back and makes a catch.

The splash could be Watkins, but there are LOTS of WR's to choose from if we wanted a good player.

CORNER BACK

After Claiborne, unless you want to sign an old name getting a big contract on reputation alone, there isn't much to choose from that ISN'T going to cost an arm and a leg.  I am sure they could sign a stop-gap, and draft someone with one of the first 4 picks at this position.

OLB

The cupboard is pretty bare here....

DE

This would be the spot to try and land a big fish, and that would be DeMarcus Lawrence.  Ensah may not be resigned, but the problem is his play has dropped off lately because of injuries, and do you want to risk a BIG paycheck on a guy that might only play 10 games a year?

Perhaps Adrian Clayborn would come over from Arizona to team-up with his old coach and get away from a rebuild in Arizona?  :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can't see any of what the OP Suggests happening with this GM and Coach.

And $35 million a year average for six years for Kirk Cousins?  Christ wept....

$25

——

CandaSteve - you made $105 million in cap space to resign nearly all Jets FAs? I have to boo that. Booo. 

14 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

$25

On 1/3/2018 at 7:04 AM, SenorGato said:

Kirk Cousins (6/$60m/$150m) with outs starting after 2019

6 years, $60 million + $150 million Bonus = $210 million over 6 years = $35 million average/year.

Am I misreading you?  How are you getting $25 million a year? 

Also, he will not sign here for $25 million a year, he's going to get more.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

6 years, $60 million + $150 million Bonus = $210 million over 6 years = $35 million average/year.

Why wouldn’t I just call it $210 then? It’s $60 garaunteed. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Sammy Watkins would be a great addition. He's a star caliber receiver who is lost in a loaded offense in LA. He would have been so much better with the Bills as well if there was more of a focus put on offense under Rex when he came into the league IMO.

With a quality QB he could explode. I'd love to pair him with Robby Anderson with Enunwa in the slot.

Fixed :)

Okay so as far as the big name FA's go I see Cousins resigning with the Redskins.  There's no way Snyder let's Kirk walk and he will throw pretty much whatever $$ he has to his way to get him to stay.  I also see Bell getting resigned by the Steelers and I can see Brees resigning with the Saints.

Notable Cuts:

Wilkerson (screw you)

Forte 

Skrine

Ijilana

Notable Resignings:

Claiborne

D. Davis

ASJ

J. Kearse

Ealy

Enunwa

Notable Signings:

CB Trumaine Johnson

G Ryan Jensen

C Weston Richburg

LT Nate Solder

Draft:

1. Baker Mayfield - QB

2a. Dorance Armstrong Jr - OLB

2b. Nick Chubb or Sony Michel - RB

3. Best available Tackle

4. Best available ILB

I think puts us in a very good spot going into the 2018 season.  Very doable also.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Mr. Warfish, can you put the eye back in your avatar?  Your new one is kinda freakin' me out.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good options, but as I stated in my post, do you not think these guys will cost an arm and a leg and potentially not live up to said contract? 

42 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The one guy no one has mentioned is Demarcus Lawrence. I doubt he gets away from Dallas, but he is just what this front 7 needs. 

THIS GUY DID!!!

DE

This would be the spot to try and land a big fish, and that would be DeMarcus Lawrence.  Ensah may not be resigned, but the problem is his play has dropped off lately because of injuries, and do you want to risk a BIG paycheck on a guy that might only play 10 games a year?

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Good options, but as I stated in my post, do you not think these guys will cost an arm and a leg and potentially not live up to said contract? 

Question:

Are current Jets more likely to live up to their contract than non-Jets? 

I ask because your FA wish list included a bunch of current Jets, mostly current Jets even. Resigning them costs cap space (arm) and a roster spot (leg), and they’re really bad at foozeball. That seems like more potent ingredients for a bad contracts, even moreso than higher value contract + quality young player. 

On 1/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, jpoppy717 said:

Agree with this about ASJ.  He's simply not a good receiver or blocker.  Had some productive stretches but disappeared for games at a time.  As a receiver, ranked as the worst TE by DYAR https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te  A lot of his receptions were 3 yard gains on 3rd and 10.  Just 7 yards per reception, less than 5 yards per target.  

I am in favor of upgrading the position by signing Graham.  TEs come pretty cheap, top of market is $10 mil and Graham will be less than that, maybe 7.5-9.  

Graham hasn’t done jack since he was with the Saints. If I’m Maccagnan, I’m not signing a 31 year old unproductive TE.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Kyle Fuller played above average last season.

PFF - was around 86.4 and he’s only 26.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Ensah may not be resigned, but the problem is his play has dropped off lately because of injuries, and do you want to risk a BIG paycheck on a guy that might only play 10 games a year?

Ansah's play has not dropped off at all, he recorded 12 sacks in 14 games.

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Ansah's play has not dropped off at all, he recorded 12 sacks in 14 games.

Be careful of him, 9 of those 12 sacks came in three games and one was against the

NYG who had no OLine.  On top of that he'll be 29 before next year

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Same Graham with 10 TDs this year or a different one? 

Yeah, that’s the one. We have other fish to fry. I don’t want a 31 year old. I stand corrected on his production but that doesn’t make me want him here. Sorry but unless it was team friendly we just have more we can do with that money.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

$25

——

CandaSteve - you made $105 million in cap space to resign nearly all Jets FAs? I have to boo that. Booo. 

No, I made $105 million in cap space because I think those are the guys we will get rid of.  I offered a few suggestions as to who to go and get with the $80 million after resigning our guys.  DeMarcus Lawrence would be the one guy I would throw some money at.  After that, Perhaps Jensen and then a CB. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Question:

Are current Jets more likely to live up to their contract than non-Jets? 

I ask because your FA wish list included a bunch of current Jets, mostly current Jets even. Resigning them costs cap space (arm) and a roster spot (leg), and they’re really bad at foozeball. That seems like more potent ingredients for a bad contracts, even moreso than higher value contract + quality young player. 

Morris Claiborne STARTER

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins STARTER

Demario Davis STARTER

Chandler Cantazaro PLACE KICKER

Kony Ealy

Lawrence Thomas

Quincy Enunwa STARTER

Doug Middleton

Dakota Dozier

David Bass

Julian Stanford

Eric Tomlinson

In my scenario, we are resigning 5 starters and our place kicker, and I wouldn't say they is bad at foozeball.  The other guys are role players, but will be had at decent prices.  After signing the above guys, my guess is we would have the original $80 million to still sign the following:

DeMarcus Lawrence

Ryan Jensen

Another starting CB

More depth

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No, I made $105 million in cap space because I think those are the guys we will get rid of.  I offered a few suggestions as to who to go and get with the $80 million after resigning our guys.  DeMarcus Lawrence would be the one guy I would throw some money at.  After that, Perhaps Jensen and then a CB. 

I’m talking about this list:

RESIGNS

Morris Claiborne

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins

Demario Davis

Chandler Cantazaro

Kony Ealy

Lawrence Thomas

Quincy Enunwa

Doug Middleton

Dakota Dozier

David Bass

Julian Stanford

Eric Tomlinson

If they chose to resign no one the only one with any serious shot of being missed is Enunwa. 

Even if the idea is that these guys are starters - are they *good* starters? ASJ is terrible, he’s Kellen Davis bad with a poor work ethic. Claiborne’s been either bad or not healthy or both way more often than he has been good. Etc so on 

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Morris Claiborne STARTER

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins STARTER

Demario Davis STARTER

Chandler Cantazaro PLACE KICKER

Kony Ealy

Lawrence Thomas

Quincy Enunwa STARTER

Doug Middleton

Dakota Dozier

David Bass

Julian Stanford

Eric Tomlinson

In my scenario, we are resigning 5 starters and our place kicker, and I wouldn't say they is bad at foozeball.  The other guys are role players, but will be had at decent prices.  After signing the above guys, my guess is we would have the original $80 million to still sign the following:

DeMarcus Lawrence

Ryan Jensen

Another starting CB

More depth

Take a peak at my Mock Offseason, it will be pretty easy to retain at the very least our starters. I like your thinking but may pass on Lawerence for a drafted player. 

10 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I’m talking about this list:

RESIGNS

Morris Claiborne

Austin-Sefarian Jenkins

Demario Davis

Chandler Cantazaro

Kony Ealy

Lawrence Thomas

Quincy Enunwa

Doug Middleton

Dakota Dozier

David Bass

Julian Stanford

Eric Tomlinson

If they chose to resign no one the only one with any serious shot of being missed is Enunwa. 

Even if the idea is that these guys are starters - are they *good* starters? ASJ is terrible, he’s Kellen Davis bad with a poor work ethic. Claiborne’s been either bad or not healthy or both way more often than he has been good. Etc so on 

Hmm....still don't see the problem Senor Gato.

I disagree on Jenkins.  I think he is worth bringing back on a 2-3 year deal.  If we don't bring Claiborne back, then we need to sign two starters.  All the other guys are depth moves that won't cost that much.  Again, if we are ridding ourselves of about $25 million in salary, and we can resign these guys for about the same, we would still have $80 million to spend on additional free agents.

Again, you could drop Claiborne, but that just means we need 2 CB's instead of one.  If you drop Ealy, we need another depth D-lineman.  Same goes for Bass and Stanford.  Demario Davis I think has earned another contract.  Lawrence Thomas has played well as a FB, and won't cost that much.  Middleton won't cost much, and is solid on Special Teams.  Dozier and Tomlinson, again providing solid depth.  Why not bring them back on cap-friendly contracts.

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Take a peak at my Mock Offseason, it will be pretty easy to retain at the very least our starters. I like your thinking but may pass on Lawerence for a drafted player. 

We agree on a lot of stuff!  My only difference is I don't want Cousins, and I was a big fan of his.  I want the Jets to draft a QB.  I like Demarcus Lawrence more, but I would most definitely take Tyran Mathieu if he comes available.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, that’s the one. We have other fish to fry. I don’t want a 31 year old. I stand corrected on his production but that doesn’t make me want him here. Sorry but unless it was team friendly we just have more we can do with that money.

We aren’t picking out babes bro lol. It’s the NFL, not locked in commitments like baseball, basketball where you are locked in. Lot of guys in their 30s have career yrs these days. They will come at a bargain too? You gonna deny tom Brady too because of his age ? Lol

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Hmm....still don't see the problem Senor Gato.

I disagree on Jenkins.  I think he is worth bringing back on a 2-3 year deal.  If we don't bring Claiborne back, then we need to sign two starters.  All the other guys are depth moves that won't cost that much.  Again, if we are ridding ourselves of about $25 million in salary, and we can resign these guys for about the same, we would still have $80 million to spend on additional free agents.

Again, you could drop Claiborne, but that just means we need 2 CB's instead of one.  If you drop Ealy, we need another depth D-lineman.  Same goes for Bass and Stanford.  Demario Davis I think has earned another contract.  Lawrence Thomas has played well as a FB, and won't cost that much.  Middleton won't cost much, and is solid on Special Teams.  Dozier and Tomlinson, again providing solid depth.  Why not bring them back on cap-friendly contracts.

My problem is that these guys are not good at football. Plus too many of them play defense and were already scrap heap pickups to begin with. If they weren’t already Jets these guys would not be talked about as guys to pay FA prices for. They are exactly the kind of players that non-first rookies can replace, if not there’s summer and TC cuts. 

I’m also not a believer in all these defensive needs. Most of the problems on defense can be solved by building an offense and the rest by finally noticing there’s a fairly straightforward approach to landing a pass rusher in the draft. 

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We aren’t picking out babes bro lol. It’s the NFL, not locked in commitments like baseball, basketball where you are locked in. Lot of guys in their 30s have career yrs these days. They will come at a bargain too? You gonna deny tom Brady too because of his age ? Lol

Can you even compare Brady’s production, history and ability at his respected position to Jimmy Graham? ...No. terrible comparison.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The Eagle’s TE, Trey Burton, caught 5 TDs in just 23 receptions this year. FO has him as a top 10 TE this year. He will be 27 next year. OTOH This draft seems to have some interesting TE prospects and then there’s Enunwa. 

I feel like Enunwa should have stayed at TE/hybrid. He is SUCH a mismatch for MLB and S’s because of his power and speed..but what really makes him good for the position is that he can block very well whenever we call on him for it. He should be our starting TE. Sign a WR in FA..say Landry or Allen Robinson. Trout out 

New #1 WR/Anderson/Kearse/Hansen/Stewart

and Enunwa/ASJ at TE.

Surely FA has got to bring some core peices. Replace Wilkerson with someone gives a sh*te, depth at CB some O-line help. Those must be priority if drafting QB in 1st is goal which it must be.

FWIW and slightly off topic I really like Bradley Chubb and gutted that we will miss out because QB is such a need.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:37 AM, dbatesman said:

My wish list is that we stop signing free agents.

We really need an influx of talent in FA and the draft. Problem is, Mac is clueless when it comes to evaluating talent so it’s a moot point who he brings in. He’s just going to **** it up anyways. That’s why I’m all in on moving up to #1 and taking Rosen or Darnold regardless of the cost. After a few years, this team will still suck and Mac will be canned with Bowles BUT we will have our QB to move forward with. 

Archived