The Jets are NOT drafting a QB in the 1st round so lets forget that fantasy.

Kleckineau

27 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Unless the Jets sign Cousins, I cannot see how they pass on a QB in round 1.  In fact, I think they might even trade up to pick # 3 or 4 to make sure they grab their QB of choice before Denver does. 

They should trade up to the third pick to get a QB but this GM is a pussy so it won't happen.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Lets say the Jets drafted a highly rated pass rusher. Would people really be mad? As much as I would love to see my team draft an offensive skill player in the 1st (because we never do) would it really be bad if the Jets got a top pass rusher? I'm not talking about a D-Lineman like Wilkerson, Richardson, or Williams. I'm talking about an edge rusher. I couldn't complain if the Jets did that. They haven't had a legitimate one since John Abraham and that's such a key part to any defense.

Yes I will be angry if this team picks any position other than QB in the first round. 

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

Yes I will be angry if this team picks any position other than QB in the first round. 

That makes no sense though. Yeah they need a QB of course. But what if the top guys are all off the board when they are up to pick? They should just draft a guy they may not believe in because he's a QB?

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That makes no sense though. Yeah they need a QB of course. But what if the top guys are all off the board when they are up to pick? They should just draft a guy they may not believe in because he's a QB?

Trade down a few spots and take Lamar Jackson.

40 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Lets say the Jets drafted a highly rated pass rusher. Would people really be mad? As much as I would love to see my team draft an offensive skill player in the 1st (because we never do) would it really be bad if the Jets got a top pass rusher? I'm not talking about a D-Lineman like Wilkerson, Richardson, or Williams. I'm talking about an edge rusher. I couldn't complain if the Jets did that. They haven't had a legitimate one since John Abraham and that's such a key part to any defense.

If we get the top guy then I wouldn't go ballistic depending on who else was on the board.  It is a big need.  My biggest issue would be my utter lack of confidence in Todd Bowles letting the guy do his job.

24 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Move up the third pick which is definitely available and you have one of Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen as the pick. All three of these guys have the chance to be franchise QBs and for once I want to see the Jets DRAFT a QB with that upside. I believe that we have only drafted a QB in the first round 4 times since Namath and that has to end this year.

We passed on Watson and Mahomes because of the 2018 class and its time to finally draft a QB this coming draft. Screw paying Cousins 25-30 million to get us to 9-7 if we are lucky. This organization needs to do the right thing and give the fans something to be excited about; that means drafting a QB in the first round.

28 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Mac wants to keep his job beyond 2018, he needs to make absolutely certain that he gets one of the top 3 QB's in this year's draft, and if he has to sell the ranch to move up to do it, so be it. 

17 minutes ago, Pennington said:

We passed on Watson and Mahomes because of the 2018 class and its time to finally draft a QB this coming draft. Screw paying Cousins 25-30 million to get us to 9-7 if we are lucky. This organization needs to do the right thing and give the fans something to be excited about; that means drafting a QB in the first round.

We don't know if Mahomes is any good though. And Watson played 7 games then tore his ACL. You gotta give these guys some time before we declare them anything. RG3 was the next great QB after his first year and then went downhill and is out of the league.

I'm all for drafting a QB in round 1. What I'm not for is drafting a QB just so we can say we drafted a QB.

20 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Mac wants to keep his job beyond 2018, he needs to make absolutely certain that he gets one of the top 3 QB's in this year's draft, and if he has to sell the ranch to move up to do it, so be it. 

It's impossible to predict trades but I'm all for the Jets trading up and trying to grab Rosen or Darnold.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So its safe to say you wont be buying a #15 Josh McCown jersey. 

Do they make Todd Bowles jersey’s? Something tells me wearing 1 of those would make me drive under the speed limit, slam on my brakes if I saw the light turn yellow at an intersection, and put my turn signal on 2 miles before my turnoff?

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Do they make Todd Bowles jersey’s? Something tells me wearing 1 of those would make me drive under the speed limit, slam on my brakes if I saw the light turn yellow at an intersection, and put my turn signal on 2 miles before my turnoff?

More likely you would get halfway to the supermarket, pull over and walk the rest of the way.  On your knees.

47 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

I hope you are better at this than predicting what the jets will do  :P

Lol yes I am thanks for the good wish. ☺

Financial markets are much easier to predict than the NYJ.

If our Jets were an equity they would be the AOL or Kodak of the NFL.

Companies with a storied past but now relegated to insignificance.

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

More likely you would get halfway to the supermarket, pull over and walk the rest of the way.  On your knees.

? hell no. If the curse of that thing makes me even think that I’m getting out and burning the jersey on side of the road. I’d rather put my mark Sanchez jersey on and keep rear ending people ??

I think there's a very good chance that they make a serious run at Cousins, but also a very good chance that they don't succeed.  Assuming they don't get him, then I think they will absolutely be looking to go QB in the first, but that unfortunately is not a guarantee, especially if they fail to move up and their top guys are off the board before they pick.  I have to imagine they'll try to avoid that scenario, but we can't say it's impossible.  Macc knows his future employment is dependent on this position, so there's no doubt he will try like hell to address it.  Of course, that still isn't a guarantee that he will do so successfully.

In regards to anyone attempting to point to the supposed "tendencies" of Macc selecting a QB in the first, the bottom line is there is absolutely no GM in the league who has such a tendency.  Because if you've already done it once, and failed, you're not going to get another chance at it.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

People need to get over the constant doom and gloom.

Both Macc and Bowles are essentially on 1 year “prove it” contracts.

They know they have to get a QB. Hell, it’s likely that Johnson & Johnson made that clear before they signed them to an extension.

The Jets are either signing Cousins or re-signing McCown and taking a QB in Round 1. 

Period.

Or perhaps Bridgewater/Bradford on a 1 or 2 year deal, McCown returns as a back-up and Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk after either a trade down or Falk in the 2nd

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We don't know if Mahomes is any good though. And Watson played 7 games then tore his ACL. You gotta give these guys some time before we declare them anything. RG3 was the next great QB after his first year and then went downhill and is out of the league.

I'm all for drafting a QB in round 1. What I'm not for is drafting a QB just so we can say we drafted a QB.

I was against drafting Watson or Mahomes. This is a good draft for QBs and we just have to get it done. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's either Cousins or a first round QB - there is really no other way to go.  I really don't believe Mac/Bowles/Johnson don't see that.

They had THE long term solution there for the taking last draft and they...took a safety. 

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Or perhaps Bridgewater/Bradford on a 1 or 2 year deal, McCown returns as a back-up and Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk after either a trade down or Falk in the 2nd

I’d hate that

I think you either have to sign Cousins or get one of the top QB’s within the first 6 picks.

I wouldn’t mind them bringing in a kid like Bridgewater instead of re-signing McCown, but you still need to walk away with a Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Jackson in that scenario IMO.

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

They had THE long term solution there for the taking last draft and they...took a safety. 

Hindsight is 20/20

I wanted nothing to do with the top QB’s last year. Especially after the Jets tore down the team.

And Watson completely shredded his knee. No telling if he’ll be the same. Especially since he’s a guy who relies on his athleticism so much.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’d hate that

I think you either have to sign Cousins or get one of the top QB’s within the first 6 picks.

I wouldn’t mind them bringing in a kid like Bridgewater instead of re-signing McCown, but you still need to walk away with a Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Jackson in that scenario IMO.

Fair enough but in my view, when this is all said and done, Rudolph and Falk will end up being 2 of the most successful QB’ to come out of this draft. They will out perform at least 2 of those guys you mentioned...just my opinion

3 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Fair enough but in my view, when this is all said and done, Rudolph and Falk will end up being 2 of the most successful QB’ to come out of this draft. They will out perform at least 2 of those guys you mentioned...just my opinion

Maybe

Rudolph is intriguing mostly because of his prototypical size and he throws a great deep ball. 

Falk has great intangible qualities but his pocket presence is just straight up dogsh*t. Kid holds on to the ball way too long and takes far too many sacks. Can’t feel the rush at all.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How do we know Mac didn't Watson because he was an injury concern? How do we know he'll be able to stay healthy?

There are no guarantees. But picking a safety over a potential franchise QB (which Watson certainly was until he got hurt) does guarantee your offense will still suck donkey balls. Was unaware Maccagnan nor anyone employed by the Jets had either a medical degree nor a crystal ball. 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe

Rudolph is intriguing mostly because of his prototypical size and he throws a great deep ball. 

Falk has great intangible qualities but his pocket presence is just straight up dogsh*t. Kid holds on to the ball way too long and takes far too many sacks. Can’t feel the rush at all.

Going to have to respectfully disagree on your analysis of Falk in the pocket, I actually think it’s one of his strengths. Watch him against USC, stepping up and sliding past pressure, hanging in the pocket(and as we found out today, protecting a broken hand). And crucially he’ll throw it away rather than try some crazy escape ending in a sack. 

He’s mobile but compared to the mobility of guys like Jackson, Allen or Mayfield he’s very much an old school pocket passer, but I actually quite like that he’s not looking to take off at the first sign of pressure. 

I think he’s underrated.

agree about Rudolph

Hope I’m right because the more options at QB the better

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There are no guarantees. But picking a safety over a potential franchise QB (which Watson certainly was until he got hurt) does guarantee your offense will still suck donkey balls. Was unaware Maccagnan nor anyone employed by the Jets had either a medical degree nor a crystal ball. 

It's absolutely the GM's job to gauge injury risk when looking to draft a player...especially one in 1st round...and even more so if it's a QB.

It's not as simply as saying - you took a safety...picking the wrong QB in 1st round will set your franchise back 4 years.  We know so little about Watson expect that he a VERY good first few games.  But you could look at Dat this year, or heck, even Kapernick.  Teams have a tendency to figure out QB's like Watson.

Archived