The Jets are NOT drafting a QB in the 1st round so lets forget that fantasy.

Kleckineau

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What I find interesting is the Eagles trade from 8. We trade from 6. So to get to 3 would be a lot cheaper, will prob have to give our 2nd round pick (49th) and def a 2018 first rounder without giving up a bunch of mid round picks. Cimini mentioned going to 2 but does anyone see the Giants trading out, let alone with us?? I don't. Colts seem a more realistic shot

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's either Cousins or a first round QB - there is really no other way to go.  I really don't believe Mac/Bowles/Johnson don't see that.

There are SEVERAL other ways to go.

If Minnesota decides to let Keenum go, which is a possibility since Zimmer does not seem to really value him, then he is a solid option.

McCarron is an option.

Garoppolo is an option if SF decides to non-exclusive franchise tag him. It is possible they decide that Cousins and 2 first rounders is better than gambling on Garoppolo. He has been awesome but so have many QBs over a 5 or 6 game period, even Fitzloser.

There will be some solid non first round QBs. I think we should draft one even if we draft a QB in RD1.

In terms of your second statement, I tend to agree with OP that we are unlikely to draft a first round QB. Mac and Bowles are both semi-lame ducks even with the extension, Bowles WANTS a veteran guy, even McClown again and they are going to completely blow up the rebuild and bring in a lot of vet guys. Sad thing is that I think the Johnsons agree with them. They are half measure strive for mediocrity guys.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

They had THE long term solution there for the taking last draft and they...took a safety. 

I still cant believe it. I was sure they were taking Mahomes since there were rumors they might trade up for him, but no a safety. My god. People love to say we passed on Watson but he was not on our radar, Mahomes was. Of course it has been reported that Mac backed out on Trubisky because of an extra 3rd rounder.

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Historical tendencies tell us Macc will def go defense in the first round, probably a CB so that creates 2 burning (not during urination) questions.

Who will be the QB picked by Macc in round 2 or 3 ?

Will Bowels (sic yes) name McCown the starter while he is still an unsigned UFA?

The smart move is draft 2 Qbs in rounds 2-5 since both Darnold and Rosen will be gone by 6

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

wouldn't be enough. 

I don't think Cleveland would trade out of the spot for anything.  I wouldn't.

I don’t know because Darnold’s people are already circulating rumors he wants to play another year at USC that’s the signal to Dorsey he doesn’t want to go there 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t know because Darnold’s people are already circulating rumors he wants to play another year at USC that’s the signal to Dorsey he doesn’t want to go there 

Ultimately he's going to have to play where he's drafted.  No way Darnold stays in School.  His stock can only go down and in all likelyhood Cleveland will be picking one again next year.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Ultimately he's going to have to play where he's drafted.  No way Darnold stays in School.  His stock can only go down and in all likelyhood Cleveland will be picking one again next year.

Not entirely true. What if Rosen’s plan to get drafted else where doesn’t work? What if they get Mayfield and he gets them over 5 wins. 

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not entirely true. What if Rosen’s plan to get drafted else where doesn’t work? What if they get Mayfield and he gets them over 5 wins. 

Oh I get it...certainly doesn't mean they will have the first pick - but you're risking an awful lot of money and prestige - and basing that on the hope that Cleveland isn't the worst team in the league again.  They'll almost certainly be projected to be.

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Lets say the Jets drafted a highly rated pass rusher. Would people really be mad? As much as I would love to see my team draft an offensive skill player in the 1st (because we never do) would it really be bad if the Jets got a top pass rusher? I'm not talking about a D-Lineman like Wilkerson, Richardson, or Williams. I'm talking about an edge rusher. I couldn't complain if the Jets did that. They haven't had a legitimate one since John Abraham and that's such a key part to any defense.

Yes please.  But I don't trust Macc to properly evaluate EDGE either, because he doesn't care about SPARQ ratings or any other modern information to make those selections.  

19 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think there's a very good chance that they make a serious run at Cousins, but also a very good chance that they don't succeed.  Assuming they don't get him, then I think they will absolutely be looking to go QB in the first, but that unfortunately is not a guarantee, especially if they fail to move up and their top guys are off the board before they pick.  I have to imagine they'll try to avoid that scenario, but we can't say it's impossible.  Macc knows his future employment is dependent on this position, so there's no doubt he will try like hell to address it.  Of course, that still isn't a guarantee that he will do so successfully.

In regards to anyone attempting to point to the supposed "tendencies" of Macc selecting a QB in the first, the bottom line is there is absolutely no GM in the league who has such a tendency.  Because if you've already done it once, and failed, you're not going to get another chance at it.

I also think the Jets make a run at Cousins. It's obvious that Bowles prefers a veteran signal caller, and Cousins is much more of a sure thing than any prospect in the draft - which suits Maccagnan's general risk-averse strategy in the draft. 

And I agree again that the Jets are likely not to get a deal done with Cousins. The Jets will not be his best option, even if the Jets offer the most money. If the Redskins place the transition tag on him, Mac should focus his free agency priorities elsewhere and not waste too much time and energy on a contract that may just wind up getting matched. 

If he misses on Cousins, how many other vets does he pursue before focusing on the first round QBs? Hopefully, that number is close to zero. Alex Smith, Bridgewater, McCarron, Keenam, etc.? At that point, you have to go for the higher ceilings in the draft. 

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Best case scenario is Denver signs Cousins - meaning they're not going QB in round 1...

And we can stay put and grab Mayfield....keeping our two 2's.

I think best case would be Cleveland landing him, potentially knocking two picks ahead of the Jets out of the QB market. Or making those picks available to the Jets via trade. 

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I'm sure he's also open to standing pat or trading down. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I also think the Jets make a run at Cousins. It's obvious that Bowles prefers a veteran signal caller, and Cousins is much more of a sure thing than any prospect in the draft - which suits Maccagnan's general risk-averse strategy in the draft. 

And I agree again that the Jets are likely not to get a deal done with Cousins. The Jets will not be his best option, even if the Jets offer the most money. If the Redskins place the transition tag on him, Mac should focus his free agency priorities elsewhere and not waste too much time and energy on a contract that may just wind up getting matched. 

If he misses on Cousins, how many other vets does he pursue before focusing on the first round QBs? Hopefully, that number is close to zero. Alex Smith, Bridgewater, McCarron, Keenam, etc.? At that point, you have to go for the higher ceilings in the draft. 

I think best case would be Cleveland landing him, potentially knocking two picks ahead of the Jets out of the QB market. Or making those picks available to the Jets via trade. 

Completely agree with the bold although I would say I wouldn't theoretically have an issue with any of those signings at a reasonable rate, with the one very real stipulation being that if any of those were brought in, it should have literally zero impact on the Jets' continuing to pursue a first round option at QB.  If they simply want to hedge their bets, I can at least understand that, but it should be no more than that for any of those guys.

While of course some would be concerned about Bowles' future decisions, if he were presented with both a mediocre vet and a first round rookie; in fairness to Mac, he can't be building a roster based on fear of the decisions others may make, and a rookie hardly needs the likes of Petty and Hack as his "veteran" influence.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don't think Cousins will want anything to do with the Browns. They just extended a 1-31 coach in Hue Jackson which guarantees he gets fired without at least 8 wins. I don't see Chris Johnson thinking this way with Bowles & Macc. 

Cousins is not an idiot, and I'm positive his agent does not view a 1-31 coach, a WR in Gordon who is 1 indecretion from a lifetime ban as a stable environment. While the Jets have had their issues looking through the lens of a Jet fan, the narrative throughout the NFL is that the Jets were a tough out that no one wanted to play and Todd is well respected & the team played very hard.

While I don't believe Denver can come up with the cap dollars for Cousins & their overall team is aging and their window for another Super Bowl is closed as far as I'm concerned, if in fact they do somehow land Cousins, that a win, win for the Jets picking @ 6. I say they stay in place with that scenario & don't waste precious draft picks to move up.

On 1/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Lets say the Jets drafted a highly rated pass rusher. Would people really be mad? As much as I would love to see my team draft an offensive skill player in the 1st (because we never do) would it really be bad if the Jets got a top pass rusher? I'm not talking about a D-Lineman like Wilkerson, Richardson, or Williams. I'm talking about an edge rusher. I couldn't complain if the Jets did that. They haven't had a legitimate one since John Abraham and that's such a key part to any defense.

Maccagnan made his once a year circuit on awful NY radio programs this week and gave his usual nothing answers other than something he said to Carlin(I think)  He defers to Bowles on scheme and drafting players that fit his scheme (hence the two safeties and FA pushes last year). 

Read it as you will, but I tend to agree with the OP here in

- they aint investing a high pick on a QB

- dont expect them to take an undersized athletic edge at 6

They either draft Darnald, Rosen, Mayweather, or Josh Allen (maybe need to trade up to get), or they acquire Kirk Cousins.  Otherwise they will lose half their fan base.  This is a critical year for the the Jets organization.  If they do not make bold and brilliant moves in the off season that finally get this franchise the QB they so desperately need, they are condemned to be garbage for a long time.  I am sick of seeing a team that is pathetic on offense year in and year out.  We need to be able to score points.  To do that you need play-makers and most of all a play-making QB who will not implode under pressure.  This is NFL football 101.  Drafting a CB with the first pick will create a revolution.  You remember John Idzik.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith in the offseason.

The dots have connected to this ever since the Chiefs traded up for Patrick Mahomes in the first round of last April's draft. Smith has just one year left on his deal through 2018 with a $20.6 million cap hit, and the cap-strapped Chiefs can clear $17 million of that by shedding Smith. However, Smith is coming off arguably his best season as a pro and is still theoretically in the prime of his career at 33 years old. He could be the best quarterback on the market if Kirk Cousins sticks in D.C. RapSheet mentions the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Jaguars, and Bills as potential suitors for Smith, who could fetch the Chiefs multiple draft picks.

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 6 - 12:22 PM

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are open to trading Alex Smith in the offseason.

The dots have connected to this ever since the Chiefs traded up for Patrick Mahomes in the first round of last April's draft. Smith has just one year left on his deal through 2018 with a $20.6 million cap hit, and the cap-strapped Chiefs can clear $17 million of that by shedding Smith. However, Smith is coming off arguably his best season as a pro and is still theoretically in the prime of his career at 33 years old. He could be the best quarterback on the market if Kirk Cousins sticks in D.C. RapSheet mentions the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Jets, Jaguars, and Bills as potential suitors for Smith, who could fetch the Chiefs multiple draft picks.

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 6 - 12:22 PM

If we trade for Smith, I'm cracking open the Jack D, and drinking till it all goes away.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, bgivs21 said:

As much as I hate to say it, I agree! 

If all QBs do enter the draft, Dnarold & Rosen are the first 2 gone. If some really loves Allen they'll trade up to 3, I don't see the Jets doing that. 

So we'll be left w/ Mayfield or Jackson. I don't think Mac goes for either of those guys. So we're left w/ some other top prospect & either signing Kirk Cousins or Keenum or we have a rinse repeat of this year w/ McCown back at QB & Hack backing him up w/ whatever rookie project QB they draft. 

Keenum isn’t going anywhere.  Mac will resign McClown, who Bowles will then anoint  as the starter, sign a lousy back up and Hack will fight it out with a 3rd or 5th round QB for the 3rd stringer. Mac’s first 3 picks- CB, DT, DE

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Keenum isn’t going anywhere.  Mac will resign McClown, who Bowles will then anoint  as the starter, sign a lousy back up and Hack will fight it out with a 3rd or 5th round QB for the 3rd stringer. Mac’s first 3 picks- CB, DT, DE

Mac is going qb this time because it will be his big excuse for him and Bowles to stick around another 3 years

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Mac is going qb this time because it will be his big excuse for him and Bowles to stick around another 3 years

Doesn’t matter. Bowles will let him rot on the bench and start McClown for the next 2 years. 

Archived