Sign in to follow this  
SouthernJet

The Mount. Rushmore of Jets Worst Mistakes

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

By far the "Worst Play" for me is Gastineau getting flagged for roughing Bernie Kosar.  Could have won the Super Bowl that year.

There were lots of worse plays made during that game.  Gatineau became the scapegoat.  Fumbles, missed chip shot FGs, Walton not knowing the rules, PI call.  What a bad game though

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

If it's a mount rushmore, it would be the people and not their actual mistakes.

So Kotite, Johnson, Idzik, Rex, Tannenbaum, then one that half Mac and half Bowles.

LIST 1:

RULES: Good point about Mount Rushmore requiring faces.  If we play by those rules then my picks are

1) Bill Belichick (the fact that we let him slip through our fingers)

2) Dan Marino (because we didn't draft him)

3) Leon Hess (even though I have to admit I liked the guy and kinda felt bad for him.  Meanwhile, I absolutely loathe Woody Johnson).

4) Rich Kotite (no-brainer)

LIST 2

RULES: If we have to pick people for negative things they did while with the organization then I'd revise the above list to:

1) Leon Hess

2) Rich Kotite

3) John Idzik

4) Joe Walton

LIST 3

RULES: If we're allowed to include "things" (realistic things, not "we should've drafted Joe Montana") as well as people then:

1) Letting Belichick slip through our fingers

2) Drafting O'Brien over Marino

3) Leon Hess

4) Rich Kotite

Honorable mention) Whatever they're about to do this coming offseason.

LIST 4

RULES: We're allowed to include people, things, etc PLUS urban legends (or are they?):

1) (urban legend) Not listening to that scout who wanted the Jets to draft Tom Brady

2) Letting Belichick slip through our fingers

3) Drafting O'Brien over Marino

4) (urban legend) Parcells not guaranteeing Petyon he'd be the #1 overall pick, causing him to stay at Tennessee for his senior year

Honorable mention) (urban legend) Not drafting Russell Wilson despite Bradway "pounding the table" for him.

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Not true. If Parcells had kept his word to longtime aide Belichick and retire and give Belichick 100% control (what he was promised) we would have had Belly. parcells didnt have to stay cause there was new owner when Hess died. Tuna could have said "No, thanks for Prez offer, but I promised Belly I would leave and give him 100% total control". Belley knew if he won they would say it was Jetz Prez Tuna or if he started out 1-4, Tuna would come back to sidelines. He wanted to be on his own w/no Tuna shadow. Tuna screwed Belly for money and maybe power.

Couple of points.  Keeping ones word?  Hess paid Belichick bonus money for being the good soldier and waiting for his turn.  At a time no one wanted anything to do with him.  Can remember pats on a message board laughing at the Jets deal to promote him when Parcels was done.  Beningo was on wfan killing the Jets for the plan because Belichick was a "loser".   Parcels wasnt the president of the Jets, he was in the building to help out.  He didn't want to work in a day in day out capacity.  He screwed no one, Belichick too his bonus money and when it was time to coach the team dealt behind the Jets back for a team that would give him today control.  He was never promised total control of all things with the Jets. Steve Guttman was president of the team.  Then after Belichick quit and the Jets were left without a HC Parcels offered to coach but he wanted 8 milk per season, a ungodly nicer back then.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn’t it the 4 HCs on SAR I’s pic?  

That's #2 on my list.

1.  Choosing to hire a head coach to ignore our offense at the very moment we had discovered a 22 year old rookie quarterback who stepped into the NFL as a college junior, led us to the playoffs in back-to-back years, went on a 16-4 run best in team history, won 4 playoff games all on the road, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.  It's just like the Jets to finally unearth the franchise quarterback prospect we've been searching for since Vietnam and treat him like a Communist.

2.  Choosing nothing but rookie head coaches from 1970 to 1995 and again from 2000 to 2018.  That's 45 seasons of breaking in a nobody coordinator only to find out he sucks before starting it all over again.  Weeb Ewbank and Bill Parcells are in the Hall Of Fame.  So, nah, let's not go get an experienced head coach again in our lifetimes.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's #2 on my list.

1.  Choosing to hire a head coach to ignore our offense at the very moment we had discovered a 22 year old rookie quarterback who stepped into the NFL as a college junior, led us to the playoffs in back-to-back years, went on a 16-4 run best in team history, won 4 playoff games all on the road, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.  It's just like the Jets to finally unearth the franchise quarterback prospect we've been searching for since Vietnam and treat him like a Communist.

2.  Choosing nothing but rookie head coaches from 1970 to 1995 and again from 2000 to 2018.  That's 45 seasons of breaking in a nobody coordinator only to find out he sucks before starting it all over again.  Leon Hess and Bill Parcells are in the Hall Of Fame.  So, nah, let's not go get an experienced head coach again in our lifetimes.

SAR I

Leon Hess is in the HOF??

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  Choosing to hire a head coach to ignore our offense at the very moment we had discovered a 22 year old rookie quarterback who stepped into the NFL as a college junior, led us to the playoffs in back-to-back years, went on a 16-4 run best in team history, won 4 playoff games all on the road, and was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC Championship Games.

It's just like the Jets to finally unearth the franchise quarterback prospect we've been searching for since Vietnam and treat him like a Communist.

SAR I

They didn't invest in the investment.

50 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Couple of points.  Keeping ones word?  Hess paid Belichick bonus money for being the good soldier and waiting for his turn.  At a time no one wanted anything to do with him.  Can remember pats on a message board laughing at the Jets deal to promote him when Parcels was done.  Beningo was on wfan killing the Jets for the plan because Belichick was a "loser".   Parcels wasnt the president of the Jets, he was in the building to help out.  He didn't want to work in a day in day out capacity.  He screwed no one, Belichick too his bonus money and when it was time to coach the team dealt behind the Jets back for a team that would give him today control.  He was never promised total control of all things with the Jets. Steve Guttman was president of the team.  Then after Belichick quit and the Jets were left without a HC Parcels offered to coach but he wanted 8 milk per season, a ungodly nicer back then.  

This is all sadly true.

Doesn't absolve anyone.

In retrospect this franchise got royally screwed because Tagliabue asked the Hess family to take the lower Johnson offer over a higher one offered by the Dolans(and then a year later called in his marker to jam incompetent Herman Edwards down Johnson's gullet).  Granted, you can hate what Dolan has done with the Knicks thoguh as a Ranger fan, he's actually been pretty good.Had he bought the jets, likely he has to sell his MSG teams.  But in both the NBA and the NHL he's been vocal when he thought his franchises were getting screwed in ways Johnson never has. He probably makes better hires. And the West Side stadium get done. Lets put it this way; it could not play out worse than it has under Johnson. 

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's #2 on my list.

2.  Choosing nothing but rookie head coaches from 1970 to 1995 and again from 2000 to 2018.  That's 45 seasons of breaking in a nobody coordinator only to find out he sucks before starting it all over again.  Weeb Ewbank and Bill Parcells are in the Hall Of Fame.  So, nah, let's not go get an experienced head coach again in our lifetimes.

SAR I

Been the case with every hire under Johnson except Mangini, who while he had been a DC was involved in the offense. He had other issues dealing with players. Johnson gets in the interview room and gets snowed over with fake tough guy defense nonsense every freaking time. Rules beg you to pass and makes sure defenses fail every game . Agents must prep their prospective coach clients to say this stuff. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

This is all sadly true.

Doesn't absolve anyone.

In retrospect this franchise got royally screwed because Tagliabue asked the Hess family to take the lower Johnson offer over a higher one offered by the Dolans(and then a year later called in his marker to jam incompetent Herman Edwards down Johnson's gullet).  Granted, you can hate what Dolan has done with the Knicks thoguh as a Ranger fan, he's actually been pretty good.Had he bought the jets, likely he has to sell his MSG teams.  But in both the NBA and the NHL he's been vocal when he thought his franchises were getting screwed in ways Johnson never has. He probably makes better hires. And the West Side stadium get done. Lets put it this way; it could not play out worse than it has under Johnson. 

Unless of course Dolan is as interested in football as he is in basketball.  He had no interest in hockey out the Rangers so it's good for us Ranger fans.  He thinks he knows basketball and gets involved as if he has a clue.  I don't know that Dolan offered more money, don't remember but do remember the owners were not going to approve the same to Dolan.  And a involved Dolan or Woody, I'll take Woody every time. Dolan is an embarrassment to the Knicks, their fans and the NBA.  I Thomas, sexual harassment, secretaries fired just because, going behind his GMs back to make trades.  Charles Oakley, Marv, Ewing, one after another.  He's an ass.

The fact that we haven’t hired an head coach from the offensive side of the ball since Richie kotite really grinds my gears.  Also, the last coach we hired with nfl coaching experience was Parcells.  All we do is hire untested defensive coordinators/position coaches. Screw this team

14 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I cant help laughing at some of these comments.. .

1.  I agree with the not totally getting rid of Parcells being the biggest mistake of all time!

2.  Drafting Ken O'Brien instead of Dan Marino.  Who cares if someone thought he might have smoked pot.  My God, anyone who was at the university between 1979 and 1983 who did not smoke pot would be considered an abnormal freaking geek.  I said that and I was at an engineering school at that time  :) 

3.  Brian sh*ttenheimer

4.  Many will disagree with this one but I think firing Eric Mangini was a huge mistake.  At least he could draft players.  He owuld have lerned the coaching part.

We all think that about marino drug test, but remember the folks back them making the picks, Archie Bunker types for all we know. and i think it was coke, not pot.

16 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

we win if no roughing call, simple. 

BB doesnt leavethat way unless he was screwed  by BP

I am remembering why I left here LOL

sun yellow, no its green...

we have a great chance to win if no roughing call.  they still have 4th down to convert and they still had to go all the way down the field and score a TD after the roughing call, get the ball back and get a FG all in about 3 mins.

I agree about BB, the only disagreement is blaming Woody at all as he wasn't involved.

On the Marino thing(the quote disappeared for some reason), there was nothing official and it sure didn't hold him back in his career. we screwed that up by taking a QB who would never win a playoff game for us in his long career here.

16 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

who cares. Have fun, folks give their 4 picks. do that, point isnt to sh*t on others. Different folks, different strokes. One thing on site I never understood w/threads like this. Give your choices, thats it. But folks seem intent on picking apart folks choices. Point i sthat their choices whether you agree facts wise or gut wise. let fans have their 4 chocie and you have yours. Simple.

it's a discussion board.  you are allowed to have any opinion you want but when there are factual errors I will respond and when I have a different opinion I will respond.  That is why message boards are fun. you really thought you'd post that, everyone would agree and no one would respond? 

16 hours ago, jmat321 said:

To me #1 was the fake spike because I was sitting right there in section 123

#2 is the firing of Walt Michaels based on second hand info. I was too young to remember Walt as the Jets HC, but I remember him well with the Generals.  My old man used to go on and on about how much he hated Walton, how Hess screwed Michaels, and Hess/Walton destroyed a Super Bowl caliber team that Michaels laid the foundation for...

#3 Testeverde Achilles 

#4 Never Mentioned on this board - losing probably the best pure personnel guy the Jets ever had in my lifetime, Ron Wolf.

#5 the sale in 1999.  The Hess family couldn’t find a better buyer than the Johnsons or the Dolans?

I don't remember the section but the fake spike was right in front of me too.  I was 9 rows up in that corner of the EZ BUT I think that play helped set us up for longterm success.  It helped us bottom out and bring in parcells and we were really good for a long time after that.

Wolf was only here in 1990 and 1991 where we had 2 disastrous drafts

you realize the Jets have been much better under Woody 2000-2017 than we were under previous onwership 1960-1999?

15 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Wow! Lots of 20-20 hindsight/ revisionist history in this thread. As for the above;

1- did anybody really see Belicheat after a couple of mediocre years in Cleveland becoming GOAT Coach/

2- Dolan bought the crooked politicians that he had been buying off for years. How do you think he got exclusive cable rights for all LI? Fair competition? HAHA.

And as for Marino, 27th pick, 6th QB. The entire league thought he was going to be a major problem. He had a terrible off field rep coming out of college. Now everybody says "how did Jets not pick Marino" He was not expected to be Peyton Manning, he was expected to be Ryan Leaf.

1. BB was a complete failure w/o Tom Brady and was on his way to getting fired in NE before Brady rescued his career and turned him into the "greatest coach of all time" BUT if we keep BB, we don't have 4 1st rd picks and he has the same staff in place as NE so I assume we take Brady and the NE dynasty turns into the Jets dynasty.

it was shocking Marino kept falling, sort of like Aaron Rodgers in 2005.  Supposed to go top 3 and fell to late rd 1.  The rest of the NFL made huge mistakes not taking him including us.

15 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I cant help laughing at some of these comments.. .

1.  I agree with the not totally getting rid of Parcells being the biggest mistake of all time!

2.  Drafting Ken O'Brien instead of Dan Marino.  Who cares if someone thought he might have smoked pot.  My God, anyone who was at the university between 1979 and 1983 who did not smoke pot would be considered an abnormal freaking geek.  I said that and I was at an engineering school at that time  :) 

3.  Brian sh*ttenheimer

4.  Many will disagree with this one but I think firing Eric Mangini was a huge mistake.  At least he could draft players.  He owuld have lerned the coaching part.

3. Schottenheimer was good for us.  He was here 2006-2011 and we made the playoffs 3 times. 

2006: Chad was starter

2007: Clemns

2008: got Favre a month before season

2009-2011: Sanchez who he did a good job w/ an we saw his career go south when he left after 2011.

4. Mangini gets too much credit for the drafts, he was also around for Vernon Gholston.  If Mangini was this genius w/ drafts some team would have hired him in their FO.  I didn't like the firing at the time but he couldn't get the Jets to the playoffs in 2008 w/ the weakest sched we have ever had, no Brady around and a future HOF QB under C while our former QB went to Miami and took over a team that won 1 game a year earlier and led them to a div title.

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Parcells did screw BB in that he wouldn't let BB know his intentions even though he knew he wasn't coming back.  If he just told him he was stepping down and BB would be HC then he wouldn't have been negotiatiing w/ NE.

Woody put on the full court press to bring back BP after he won the bid for the team.  If it took $8 he would have paid, BP did not want to coach.

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

This is all sadly true.

Doesn't absolve anyone.

The Rangers were a disgrace for a decade when Dolan took over, he did a good job hiring Sather and stepping back and still they only have 1 SC Finals app to show for it.  He eventually tried that w/ Phil Jackson for the Knicks but it didn't work.

Woody has been a good owner for us until recent years.  These last 2 years are the first we have had back to back losing seasons since Rich Kotite in 1995 and 1996.

Jets/Titans 1960-1999(40 seasons)

8 playoff apps(20% of seasons)

6 playoff wins

3 div titles(only 1 AFC East title 1970-1999)(.08%)

20 losing seasons(50%)

10 winning seasons(25%)

longest playoff drought: 11 years

Jets under Woody 2000-2017(18 seasons)

6 playoff apps(33%)

6 playoff wins

1 div title(.06%, remember that outside of year 1 he has owned in the Brady era)

7 losing seasons(39%)

9 winning seasons(50%)

longest playoff drought: 7 years(current)

7 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

The fact that we haven’t hired an head coach from the offensive side of the ball since Richie kotite really grinds my gears.  Also, the last coach we hired with nfl coaching experience was Parcells.  All we do is hire untested defensive coordinators/position coaches. Screw this team

The last 3 offensive minded HCs we hired were:

Rich Kotite

Bruce Coslet

Joe Walton

It's not about hiring O or D it's about hiring the right guy.  a D HC can be great if he brings the right O staff w/ him and vice versa.

about experience.  The Steelers have had 3 HCs since 1969.  Each of the 3 did not have any prior HC experience. There's not one formula, it's about bringing in the right guy.

19 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Interesting topic.  Would suggest splitting mistakes between "Worst Decisions -off field" and "Worst Plays - on field"

Since "Worst Plays" would be limitless, I'd with these as the worst 4 decisions:

1. Letting Belichick walk as HC of the NYJ. Hindsight is 20/20, but clearly this is the single biggest mistake in franchise history.

2. Hiring Jay Cross to get a Stadium on the West Side.  The only person in business outwitted by James Dolan.  We hired him!

3. Parcells not having a backup QB going into the 1999 season. By the time Ray Lucas got on the field, the season was already destroyed by the Rick Mirer experiment"

4. Leon Hess for moving and staying in Giants Stadium and having non-football people run the franchise (Jim Kensil) until 1990.

msy.gif

18 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

By far the "Worst Play" for me is Gastineau getting flagged for roughing Bernie Kosar.  Could have won the Super Bowl that year.

The Giants would have killed us.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

they absolutely would have, that giant team wasn't some fluky team that got hot at the right time like 2007/2011.  The 1986 giants are one of the best teams of all time and although we whipped Denver at home in the reg season it would have been a major upset if we beat them on the road at Mile High in the Championship Game so chances are we don't even get to the SB.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I don't remember the section but the fake spike was right in front of me too.  I was 9 rows up in that corner of the EZ BUT I think that play helped set us up for longterm success.  It helped us bottom out and bring in parcells and we were really good for a long time after that.

Wolf was only here in 1990 and 1991 where we had 2 disastrous drafts

you realize the Jets have been much better under Woody 2000-2017 than we were under previous onwership 1960-1999?

1. BB was a complete failure w/o Tom Brady and was on his way to getting fired in NE before Brady rescued his career and turned him into the "greatest coach of all time" BUT if we keep BB, we don't have 4 1st rd picks and he has the same staff in place as NE so I assume we take Brady and the NE dynasty turns into the Jets dynasty.

it was shocking Marino kept falling, sort of like Aaron Rodgers in 2005.  Supposed to go top 3 and fell to late rd 1.  The rest of the NFL made huge mistakes not taking him including us.

3. Schottenheimer was good for us.  He was here 2006-2011 and we made the playoffs 3 times. 

2006: Chad was starter

2007: Clemns

2008: got Favre a month before season

2009-2011: Sanchez who he did a good job w/ an we saw his career go south when he left after 2011.

4. Mangini gets too much credit for the drafts, he was also around for Vernon Gholston.  If Mangini was this genius w/ drafts some team would have hired him in their FO.  I didn't like the firing at the time but he couldn't get the Jets to the playoffs in 2008 w/ the weakest sched we have ever had, no Brady around and a future HOF QB under C while our former QB went to Miami and took over a team that won 1 game a year earlier and led them to a div title.

Parcells did screw BB in that he wouldn't let BB know his intentions even though he knew he wasn't coming back.  If he just told him he was stepping down and BB would be HC then he wouldn't have been negotiatiing w/ NE.

Woody put on the full court press to bring back BP after he won the bid for the team.  If it took $8 he would have paid, BP did not want to coach.

The Rangers were a disgrace for a decade when Dolan took over, he did a good job hiring Sather and stepping back and still they only have 1 SC Finals app to show for it.  He eventually tried that w/ Phil Jackson for the Knicks but it didn't work.

Woody has been a good owner for us until recent years.  These last 2 years are the first we have had back to back losing seasons since Rich Kotite in 1995 and 1996.

Jets/Titans 1960-1999(40 seasons)

8 playoff apps(20% of seasons)

6 playoff wins

3 div titles(only 1 AFC East title 1970-1999)(.08%)

20 losing seasons(50%)

10 winning seasons(25%)

longest playoff drought: 11 years

Jets under Woody 2000-2017(18 seasons)

6 playoff apps(33%)

6 playoff wins

1 div title(.06%, remember that outside of year 1 he has owned in the Brady era)

7 losing seasons(39%)

9 winning seasons(50%)

longest playoff drought: 7 years(current)

The last 3 offensive minded HCs we hired were:

Rich Kotite

Bruce Coslet

Joe Walton

It's not about hiring O or D it's about hiring the right guy.  a D HC can be great if he brings the right O staff w/ him and vice versa.

about experience.  The Steelers have had 3 HCs since 1969.  Each of the 3 did not have any prior HC experience. There's not one formula, it's about bringing in the right guy.

Belichick was signed as HC.  He was getting the job back when Parcells stepped down as HC, which he did.  Nothing needed to be said.  Complete with the man in the mirror BS.  Belichick was paranoid.  He didn't like Parcells in the building, as if he earned the right to control who was or wasn't consulting on football operations.  He turned the Jets HC gig into a bigger payday through Kraft and with total control.  The Pats and Belichick negotiated behind the Jets backs, morons even called each other through Jet offices.  They were caught and found to have tampered with our employee.  Fined money, Belichick ordered to pay back his bonus money and draft picks.  Don't make this into something it's not.  Just as once Parcells finished his 3 year commitment, got through the sale etc he was done.  No one put a full court press.  It was Parcells who came back with an offer after Belichick stuck the Jets.  No one was paying a HC 8 mil back then, Woody turned him down.  

Lam Jones actually cost us two first round pick, 13 and 20.  This actually makes it worse.

Its not going to make your list but I hated when the Tuna traded down rather than pick Orlando Pace.  Dont bother touting Farrior or Ward. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

they absolutely would have, that giant team wasn't some fluky team that got hot at the right time like 2007/2011.  The 1986 giants are one of the best teams of all time and although we whipped Denver at home in the reg season it would have been a major upset if we beat them on the road at Mile High in the Championship Game so chances are we don't even get to the SB.

How fun would that have been..........   

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Belichick was signed as HC.  He was getting the job back when Parcells stepped down as HC, which he did.  Nothing needed to be said.  Complete with the man in the mirror BS.  Belichick was paranoid.  He didn't like Parcells in the building, as if he earned the right to control who was or wasn't consulting on football operations.  He turned the Jets HC gig into a bigger payday through Kraft and with total control.  The Pats and Belichick negotiated behind the Jets backs, morons even called each other through Jet offices.  They were caught and found to have tampered with our employee.  Fined money, Belichick ordered to pay back his bonus money and draft picks.  Don't make this into something it's not.  Just as once Parcells finished his 3 year commitment, got through the sale etc he was done.  No one put a full court press.  It was Parcells who came back with an offer after Belichick stuck the Jets.  No one was paying a HC 8 mil back then, Woody turned him down.  

something did need to be said, BB asked BP about his plans and he said he didn't know when he did know.  He didn't want to wait around for BP and didn't want BP hovering over him.  Morons?  in retrospect they were geniuses, it led to a dynasty.  A dynasty that should have been ours if not for BP.

Woody didn't turn anything down, Woody begged BP to come back.  BP did not want to coach anymore at that time.  A year later after BP's next hand picked coach walked out on us Woody again tried to sway BP to coach.

48 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

How fun would that have been..........   

for a giants fan like yourself I am sure it would have been the greatest sports moment of your life to watch the giants whip up on the Jets in a Super Bowl.

57 minutes ago, rangerous said:

marino?  he of one superbowl appearance?  maybe but the legend is far greater than the player.

That gaff is overrated because Marino never won a SUper Bowl (went to only one) and O'Brien was not a horrible quarterback

Drafting Chad Pennington Rd1 when the Pats got Brady in Rd 6 the same year, we got a fragile loser, the Pats got a legit candidate for GOAT

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

1. Vernon Gholston

2. Christian Hackenberg

3. Mike Nugent

No denying Gholston was a complete bust, but I never quite understood how he is judged as one of our greatest draft mistakes considering that no one drafted immediately after him went on to do anything spectacular.  

To me, the draft busts that hurt the most are the ones where we could have selected a perennial all-pro or future Hall of Famer.   Ken O'Brien instead of Marino, Kyle Brady instead of Warren Sapp, Bryan Thomas instead of Ed Reed, etc.  We traded up to get Dewayne Robertson. Look at the top 10 picks of that draft compared to Gholston's draft class.  evan that was far worse swing and miss.