Film Review: Week 17 Jets @ Patriots

joerb31

Last film review of the 2017 season! Stay tuned as now I will be putting out some individual players season reviews! Next one up is Quincy Enunwa’s 2016 season to see what the Jets are getting back in 2018.

Who on the OL do you think should / could be back?  Or asked slightly differently, in what order would you cut them?  :-)

I suspect Johnson is at the beginning of the cut list.

It seems to me that (other than QB) our OL is the worst unit by far...

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

Who on the OL do you think should / could be back?  Or asked slightly differently, in what order would you cut them?  :-)

I suspect Johnson is at the beginning of the cut list.

It seems to me that (other than QB) our OL is the worst unit by far...

In terms of the worst groups it’s QB/O-line/CB/OLB. Even though I would rather attack OLB before CB. 

That O-line question is going to bring out a long response. So let’s start with cut without taking into considering their contracts (like they didn’t exist) and that they all needed to be cut for whatever reason. 1. Johnson 2. Shell 3. Winters 4. Carpenter 5. Beachum. Now many believe because they are realing in past seasons/preforcmences of both Winters/Carp that they are both having good seasons. Which couldn’t be farther from the truth and I have plenty of evidence to support that they have both been absolutely terrible (Winters is slightly excuses because of his torn abnominal muscles). Beachum has been far and away the best offensive lineman this year which trust me, I know that’s not saying much. 

But now if we talk contracts it’s gets really tricky but let me start by saying I would never cut Shell because he isn’t getting paid much but I’ll just say “cut” for everybody instead of keep as a backup. 1. Wesley Johnson and it’s obvious why. 2. Shell because he won’t count for much of any dead money (117k which is nothing) and I understand that he has room to grow etc but from an athletic standpoint I don’t think he has the power/speed to develop into a long term RT. 3. Carpenter basically because of his cap hit compared to Winters. Carp would have a 2.1 dead cap hit and 4.7 in savings so it would make sense more then Winters. Don’t think it would happen because the Jets have to ask themselves if he is worth 4.7 mil + a shot to bounce back to his form of his first two years with the Jets. Something I’ve heard a lot for both Winters/Carp is People puttting most of the blame on Johnson for their poor play. Now yes SOME of the blame can fall on Johnson (not calling right protections, not helping on combo blocks etc) but if I was to put a % on how much is Johnson it’s only about 15-20%. There are plenty of plays of both of them getting blown up or not being able to even hold blocks on linebackers in the second level. 4. Winters because the Jets would be hit with 7 mil in straight dead with 0 money saved + the guy had a torn abdomen for most of the season which describes some of his problems, but again not all. With that I still thought even prior to this season that Winters was an average RG at best. 5. Beachum, the jets would save 2.5 but still get hit with 7 mil in dead money. With this I’m also considering how hard it is to find a startin caliber LT. They aren’t available in free agency often and when they are teams have to pay a boatload the bring them in. Also in the draft it’s hard to find one, especially a guy who steps in right away and plays well (or even starts right away as the LT and not RT OG etc). We have also seen MANY bust at LT in just the last few years. Hope that answered your question!

Archived